PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob question about Bonding Monks

HomelessBob
12-02-2007, 18:49
Okay i'm a healing ritualist and i pair up with a Bonding monk for the Naphui quarter mission. Before the start of the mission he warned the team that he doesn't heal and that he needs me to keep him alive. At the start he bonded all 8 team members and for the rest of the mission i just bailed him out when his health got below 50%. I guess what i'm asking is that when you bond all 8 teamates you'll just be at 0 energy the whole time? Will the enchants still maintain when you have 0 energy? So as a bonding monk is the only skill you bring is a ressurect and life bond? Either way i've never had an easier time getting masters on Naphui.

windcaller
12-02-2007, 19:21
A bonder has actually 15 bonds kept up (if it's a decent bonder).

So, his bar should've been something like this:
Life Barrier
Life Bond
Balthasar's Spirit
skill of choice
skill of choice
Mantra of Inscriptions
Blessed Signet
Rebirth

If he had only 8 bonds he could've had Protective Spirit and Aegis easily as major damage reduction. Or condition/hex removal, especially as Rits lack hex removal he could've helped you.

Almas Darksoul
12-02-2007, 19:21
"Bond" monks maintain their energy through two main means. The first is Blessed Signet - which awards energy for every enchantment you are maintaining. The second is Balthazar's Spirit - since Life Bond redirects damage as well as reducing it, the bonder effectively takes damage every time a party member is hit by a physical attack, meaning that Balthazar's Spirit can give large amounts of energy.
If a bonders energy ever reaches 0 and he has negative energy regeneration, enough bonds will be cancelled for him to be put on to 0 energy regeneration automatically.

Generally, bonder builds can vary - in some farming builds one bonder will carry multiple "bonds" to use on one person (the tank) - for example, Life Barrier, Life Bond and Life Attunement. In balanced teams the bonder usually uses Life Bond on the entire team, then uses the remnant of his energy to either cast some defensive spells (such as Aegis), or instead take the elite Life Barrier and defend the most vulnerable members of the team with this as well.

Lytha
12-02-2007, 19:26
The core skills of bonding are:

- Life Bond (to be cast on the party members)
- Blessed Signet (to be used whenever it's recharged, basically)
- Balthazar's Spirit (to be cast on the bonder: whenever he takes damage from the Life Bonds, he will gain +1 energy, even if it was just 0 damages.)

Life Barrier and Mantra of Inscriptions are completely voluntarily. Instead of these, he could actually go Divine Boon+2-3x fast casting 5 energy protection skills and do "boon bonding".

The bonder has /never/ 0 energy. Instead, he's working hard (and occasionally desperately) with the Blessed Signet and the Balthazar's Spirit on keeping his energy from hitting 0. That's necessary because when he hits 0 energy, all but 4 of the enchantments will be gone - if that should happen during a fight, the team is in trouble.

The Moses
20-02-2007, 02:59
I'm wondering can a bonder have more than 8 full bonds of people, once i hit -4 energy regen, i can maintain that, but anything from their is kinda bothersome and i have to keep spamming blessed signet to keep up. Is that a problem, cause so far my build hasn't done me wrong and my team loves the fact that they can do their thing knowing that their not going to die.

BunnyLord
20-02-2007, 04:22
A person can actually bond 8 people, 7 for Lifebond and 1 for balthazar's spirt. Mantra of Inscription + Blessed Signet can keep your energy from hitting 0.

Your bonds wont end unless your energy reaches 0. When it reach 0, only your first 4 bonds will remain.

The Moses
20-02-2007, 04:39
A person can actually bond 8 people, 7 for Lifebond and 1 for balthazar's spirt. Mantra of Inscription + Blessed Signet can keep your energy from hitting 0.

Your bonds wont end unless your energy reaches 0. When it reach 0, only your first 4 bonds will remain.

You mis-understood me, I'm wondering is it possible to maintain 8+ bonds and still be fine without haveing to use Peace and harmony as your elite.

BunnyLord
20-02-2007, 05:09
You mis-understood me, I'm wondering is it possible to maintain 8+ bonds and still be fine without haveing to use Peace and harmony as your elite.

Um I was replying to the OP. I don't know where the whole P&H came from.

The Moses
20-02-2007, 05:38
...nvm, though you were answering my response

MoonUnit
20-02-2007, 06:20
I'm wondering can a bonder have more than 8 full bonds of people, once i hit -4 energy regen, i can maintain that, but anything from their is kinda bothersome and i have to keep spamming blessed signet to keep up. Is that a problem, cause so far my build hasn't done me wrong and my team loves the fact that they can do their thing knowing that their not going to die.

Well I usually hold 7 barriers + 3-4 life bonds + bspirit without outside support.. I usually have something around -7 degen, any more then that and it gets complicated.

Bloody Samuel
20-02-2007, 10:13
A bonder has actually 15 bonds kept up (if it's a decent bonder).

The maximum regeneration or degeneration is 10 pips.

Therefore a decent bonder can only keep up 14 bonds without outside help. e.g perma bip.

Against physical damage spike where a lot of the damage is not armour ignoring and where there is melee pressure Life Bond is sufficient. When Life Bonding use Balthazars spirit and that is normally sufficient to provide you with energy.

Life Barrier ending when the bonder reaches less than 50% health is why barrier isnt used too often in PVP.

Against spikes where damage is armour ignoring use vital blessing and you can maintain this on yourself which is nice.

Joe

Tristan Chapin
20-02-2007, 11:42
Even 14 bonds is a largely theoretical limit, since blessed sig + mantra can just barely hold that level of energy-degen. If your team is serious (lol) about having so many bonds, just run two bonders and have them split the duties, rather than leaning on BIP. The extra energy will allow them to put up Aegis in sequence to cover the bonds from stripping.

MoonUnit
20-02-2007, 16:39
Therefore a decent bonder can only keep up 14 bonds without outside help. e.g perma bip.

I guess we have a different definition of "decent" :tongue:

Even 14 bonds is a largely theoretical limit, since blessed sig + mantra can just barely hold that level of energy-degen. If your team is serious (lol) about having so many bonds, just run two bonders and have them split the duties, rather than leaning on BIP. The extra energy will allow them to put up Aegis in sequence to cover the bonds from stripping.

I have to agree, I can't think of any reason to have 7 barrier + 7 bonds, I usually stick life bond on either the backline casters or the frontline or both.

Here's a shot of my monk holding 10 bonds + bspirit, which works very well in combat, but as soon as the fight is over, you have serious issues unless someone is feeding you either BR or BiP. :rolleyes:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9378/bond1qg7.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bond1qg7.jpg)

Graveni
20-02-2007, 16:46
I prefer Bonding in PvE over many other builds, exept not the 10 bonds like above, just the standard, life bond - bals and signet.
Basicly Bonders arent healers ofc, but the standard build holds alot of room for expanding, like Dismiss Conditions at high prot and with each party members enchanted can turn into a straight heal, but a bonders main job is to significantly decrese the damage. I love the new Shield of Deflection as bonder btw ^^