PDA

View Full Version : Can you figure out what this name was derived from?

Azrael STX
27-03-2007, 21:48
On one of my characters (and only one of my characters, oddly), I'm often presented with questions about the origin of my name, what it means, etc. Now, it does have a very precise and definite origin, although I suppose there aren't many people who take much interest in the fields which are involved, so it doesn't generally surprise me.

As it stands, for all the people who have questioned me about it (who I usually don't answer), I've never met anyone in-game who stated that they understood or recognized the origins of my name. This thread is inspired by another two people inquiring about it within the last hour, and thus wanting to see if there is anyone who can figure it out.

The name of the character in question is Valilokis Lykos.

I would be interested to see if there's anyone who not only understands the origin of the names, but how they relate to one another.

If you have similar experience with one of your character's names, by all means, share it :smiley:

Pei Wei
27-03-2007, 22:33
*without googling or any other search*
Not a bloomin' clue what/who inspired your name. Not even sure if I can pronounce it, really. However, it did sort of remind me of something - odds have it, though, it has no bearing at all on the significance of it. First thing that came to mind was: Greek?
As a sidenote, regarding Pei Wei, the only thing I have to say is I mucked it up. I had no idea, at the time of creation, that Pei Wei was pronounced "Pay Way" - and considering shortly after I'd made him there was some amount of ruckus about monks charging fees for Thunderhead, it explained why I kept getting PM'd about "funny name, ***hat" comments. :sad:

Azrael STX
27-03-2007, 22:40
Lol at the monk PMs. Reminds me of when I kept mispronouncing Wii :tongue:

About the Greek thing, yes, half of it is ^^

Degas
27-03-2007, 22:42
Does it have anything to do with Valhalla, Loki and Lykans?

Azrael STX
27-03-2007, 22:43
One of those three things is very relative, yes =)

Degas
27-03-2007, 22:48
Lykos is a greek word, so I will scratch Lykans out (I think it's a greek island too)
So, it's either Vali = Valhala or Loki = Loki, in which case, we got greeks and scandinavian

Can't remember any god/godess named Vali though

*Also, no google, wikipedia, anything*

Edit: Did I go offtrack or am I doing better?

Azrael STX
27-03-2007, 22:52
That's definitely the right track, for sure ^^

Goldfish God
27-03-2007, 23:38
Lycos is a search engine :laugh: no google :wink:

Azrael STX
27-03-2007, 23:42
Lycos, maybe, but not Lykos =x

Gaendaal
28-03-2007, 00:28
"Lykos" is wolf in Greek (whence "lycanthropy"). Loki is the father of both of Fenrir (a wolf) and Váli.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "Valilokis Lykos" (Váli of Loki's Wolf...??) nor am I sure it's a particularly good idea to name yourself after anything to do with Loki. He never really liked that kind of thing....

Azrael STX
28-03-2007, 01:19
"Lykos" is wolf in Greek (whence "lycanthropy"). Loki is the father of both of Fenrir (a wolf) and Váli.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with "Valilokis Lykos" (Váli of Loki's Wolf...??) nor am I sure it's a particularly good idea to name yourself after anything to do with Loki. He never really liked that kind of thing....
I would have made my name Válilokis Lykos if it would permit me to use special characters =P It's derived from Váli though, yes :smiley: He was the son of Loki, and was turned into a wolf, to viciously tear his brother's throat out. I like him =D

Keevan Draco
28-03-2007, 02:48
ehh, i'm a little rusty on my norse mythology ATM, however my guess for now will be "songods wolf" for what it's worth. that's the only comparison I could make given the information presented. unless you were making some kind of cryptic ourobourous reference with that name.

Azrael STX
28-03-2007, 02:52
In short, the name is composed of three parts, based on Váli, Loki, and Lykos. Váli is the son of Loki, who was transformed into a vicious wolf, and "lykos" is Greek for "wolf" :smiley:

MixedVariety
28-03-2007, 04:12
Uh, huh. I'll put my IGN up for interpretation--Sleethy Madwand--but the first name is completely made up as far as I know, and the second comes from a book I seriously doubt anyone here has read.

Some of our British posters may know somewhat of my ranger's name, though; Steerpike Flayer.

Gaendaal
28-03-2007, 08:13
It's derived from Váli though, yes :smiley: He was the son of Loki, and was turned into a wolf, to viciously tear his brother's throat out.
And then Narfi's intestines were used to bind Loki until Ragnarok...

Some of our British posters may know somewhat of my ranger's name, though; Steerpike Flayer.
Steerpike and Flay are both characters in the Gormenghast trilogy.

Not sure about your other name but Madwand does ring a very distant bell, for some reason.

MixedVariety
28-03-2007, 13:19
Steerpike and Flay are both characters in the Gormenghast trilogy.

True dat. And did you read the trilogy, out of curiosity? If I recall correctly, there was a maybe BBC production of the tale quite a while back, as well. One of the top five best fantasy books of all time, IMO. Plus, Steerpike beats every other villain hands down. He could eat Sauron for breakfast.

Algeren
28-03-2007, 13:39
haha guess my name the end is pretty easy but you may not get the start.

Hoplon Di Morte

no googling or wiking or any other search thing. it makes for more fun if you guess :D

my necro is called this BTW.
sorry if this isnt what the thead is about but no one in-game that i have asked knows haha :)

Gaendaal
28-03-2007, 15:50
True dat. And did you read the trilogy, out of curiosity? If I recall correctly, there was a maybe BBC production of the tale quite a while back, as well. One of the top five best fantasy books of all time, IMO. Plus, Steerpike beats every other villain hands down. He could eat Sauron for breakfast.
I read Titus Groan and Gormenghast nigh on twenty years ago now...:wink:

I could never get through Titus Alone, for some reason. I should give it (yet) another try sometime.

MixedVariety
28-03-2007, 15:57
Titus Alone was...wierd. Not in keeping with the other two books, like Mervyn Peake maybe decided to start dropping acid or something. Really, the first two books are the whole of the story, though for completions' sake reading the last one isn't a bad idea.

Karn the Betrayer
28-03-2007, 16:17
basically mine is a merged names of three anime characters

Gmr Leon
28-03-2007, 22:24
Heh..Since other people did so here's one to try and discern a meaning from:

Releveir Nastrovius. (Yes, it is the name of one of my GW chars.)

Gaendaal
29-03-2007, 08:54
Releveir Nastrovius. (Yes, it is the name of one of my GW chars.)
Doesn't "nastrovia" (sp?) mean "cheers", or something similar, in Russian?