PDA

View Full Version : Age of Man

Santax
28-03-2007, 08:15
I'm suprised that you guys haven't picked up on this already, but take a closer look at this (http://www.guildwars.com/press/releases/eyeofthenorthgw2/eyeofthenorth.php).

In the face of Tyria's greatest challenges, heroes have arisen to thwart the forces of darkness. The Titans have been driven back to the demon realms, Shiro has been unmasked, and Abaddon has fallen.

Now a new darkness threatens Tyria. Great earthquakes wrack the lands, opening huge underground complexes beneath the earth. Boiling up from that darkness, an ancient enemy may spell the end of the Age of Man...

Notice the capitalisation? I think that in the Eye of the North we will bear witness to, and probably even go so far as to effect, a historical moment in the history of Tyria. The Great Destroyer will bring an end to the Age of Man, and with the Charr abandoned by their gods, the Asura out in the open and the Sylvari just awakening, I'd say it sets the stage perfectly for Guild Wars 2.

CHIPS
28-03-2007, 09:33
Well, I think humans are nearly extinct in the GW2 world. So something very bad must happen in GW:EN.

Guess 1: Globel Warming due to overuse of Firestorm and Meteor Shower
Guess 2: Nuclear Holocaust from the Great Destoryer
Guess 3: Aliens pwn noobs

gervasium
28-03-2007, 11:09
In my way of seeing, it means that the man will no longer be the rulling specie. Other species, likt the asura and Charr will become equivalent if not more powerful than man.

Смерть
28-03-2007, 11:11
In my way of seeing, it means that the man will no longer be the rulling specie. Other species, likt the asura and Charr will become equivalent if not more powerful than man.

I agree.

And it is cool to play the expansion and be a part of that Guild Wars history though (as a previous poster posted).

Arkhan The Black
28-03-2007, 11:21
Well humans in Tyria has been in for a lot of trouble already, The Searing, the Cataclysm and Kryta gets invaded by the undead. But they seem to be on their way to recovery now.

In Elona the apocalypse was about to unfold so there is no telling how many fell victims to Nightfall. Palawa Joko has also returned which could spell the end of all of Elona.

Cantha seems to be the only continent that has a strong human reign. The worst thing that happened there happened 200 years ago and they have recovered. But they can't really protect themselves against nature disasters.

Santax
28-03-2007, 15:56
Well, I think humans are nearly extinct in the GW2 world. So something very bad must happen in GW:EN.

Guess 1: Globel Warming due to overuse of Firestorm and Meteor Shower
Guess 2: Nuclear Holocaust from the Great Destoryer
Guess 3: Aliens pwn noobs

Or the Great Destroyer. It's literally like what ANet said - setting the stage for GW2.

Quintus Antonius
28-03-2007, 16:15
I think the game is very Tyria-based. We've only been to one other continental system, and that's Cantha, where the humans have a long, rich, and well-dug in history. I doubt that the "Age of Man" is going to end anytime soon in Cantha, as there are very few other intelligent races there that could do anything. The Tengu already revolted and had a few wars, but were pacified by the government, so I honestly doubt that Cantha will ever be non-dominanted by humans. Tyria on the other hand is hurting, because most of its population has been wiped out in the past few years by various incidents. I'd say the Dwarves (as of Nightfall) are the dominant racial group, not the humans.

Scutilla
28-03-2007, 18:31
Yeah, a couple of the previews have dropped hints on that now. With the introduction of at least four playable non-human races for GW2, and the destruction of most of the human population (Orr is wiped out, Ascalon is barely surviving, and Kryta and Elona are at least hurting), mankind already seems to be partially on its way out.

It stands to reason that since GWEN is supposed to be a leadin to GW2, it's possible that it will end with some cataclysmic event like the Searing, possibly caused by the Great Destroyer. This would give the Charr, Asura, Silvari, and Norns a chance to gain even more of a foothold in Tyria. If GW2 takes place mostly in Tyria (and Elona isn't considered part of it), then Kryta could very well be the last bastion of humanity on the continent.

Unknown Hatred
12-05-2007, 19:21
Just a possibly theory of what could cause the demise of Canthans.

It is stated in the GW:N manual that Luxon captains had traversed treacherous waters into Elona, which only Corsairs now brave, and this seems to be, in respective to the bulk of Corsairs, somewhere in Kourna, of the southwest side of the Continent.

Now coming to the point:Joko, everyone expects him to invade Vabbi, but what if he comes down through the Desolation towards Kourna, with Varesh defeated, and the Kournan army basically screwed currently, it would be an easy takeover, where Joko's forces could then travel across the waves towards Cantha, landing in Cantha, somewhere on the Jade Sea, Joko's forces (which would be significant by now, assuming that he can animate more then 10 minions :P ) could take the Luxons by suprise, and combined with their war against the Kurzicks, would absoloutely decimate Luxon forces. and Joko, with even more followers from the slaim Luxons, could easily overpower the already weakened Kurzicks, and with an army the size of the vassal factions combined, Kaineng is pretty much screwed.

Santax
12-05-2007, 19:56
Yeah, a couple of the previews have dropped hints on that now. With the introduction of at least four playable non-human races for GW2, and the destruction of most of the human population (Orr is wiped out, Ascalon is barely surviving, and Kryta and Elona are at least hurting), mankind already seems to be partially on its way out.

It stands to reason that since GWEN is supposed to be a leadin to GW2, it's possible that it will end with some cataclysmic event like the Searing, possibly caused by the Great Destroyer. This would give the Charr, Asura, Silvari, and Norns a chance to gain even more of a foothold in Tyria. If GW2 takes place mostly in Tyria (and Elona isn't considered part of it), then Kryta could very well be the last bastion of humanity on the continent.

Well from what I've seen, the Slyvari don't make much of an appearance in Eye of the North, not until the very end or near the ending at least, where their birth "marks the dawn of a new age". That opens many questions as to how they are born, including a few theories already referring to the Bloodstone of preservation in Bloodstone Fen that gives the Maguuma Jungle's foliage life.

Troal
12-05-2007, 22:57
If the rules of our world aren't followed to the letter, then in GW2 we might find humanity dying out as they take on non-human mates (yeah, yeah - interspecies reproduction isn't possible, but like I said these rules could potentially be thrown to the wind). Instead of many humans we might find many more half-humans in GW2. I believe it's been done in fantasy tales before - humans mating with creatures of other species. Half-elves, half-orcs, half-whatevers have been seen before.

Recent concept art of the Charr shows them as much more human-like than I remember them (such as having less fur). While it's obviously a stretch to say these are half-human, half-Charr, it's not entirely impossible.

Shanny
09-06-2007, 14:16
i think that man willsuffer great losses in gwen and they will form kingdoms both small and weak in numbers and bcz every1 will be playing a new race,im actually looking forward to playing man by far the weakest of them all:grin:
smtin like in lotr:grin:

aptaleonII
09-06-2007, 18:24
The Opening of the Door of Khomalie is listed on several timelines. I'd say that counts as a historical event, and we certainly witnessed it!

However, i certainly agree with what's being said.

Sandotyu Akaoni
09-06-2007, 19:39
I think the game is very Tyria-based. We've only been to one other continental system, and that's Cantha, where the humans have a long, rich, and well-dug in history. I doubt that the "Age of Man" is going to end anytime soon in Cantha, as there are very few other intelligent races there that could do anything. The Tengu already revolted and had a few wars, but were pacified by the government, so I honestly doubt that Cantha will ever be non-dominanted by humans. Tyria on the other hand is hurting, because most of its population has been wiped out in the past few years by various incidents. I'd say the Dwarves (as of Nightfall) are the dominant racial group, not the humans.

I know what im about to say is slighty off topic but id love to see Cantha coming to the aid of Tyria. Similar to Elonas call for heros but id love to see Cantha sending a full blown army to help liberate Tyria. Similarly it would be awesome if the Sunspears helped. I mean if this really is the end of the Age of Man ( and it has been noted that these earthquakes have opended tunnels everywhere ) then surely it would effect everyone. Id love to see an epic battle between the united forces of man and his allies vs whatever threatens the Age of Man.

Also this would help ad more imersion for the game. Canthan characters (now heros of cantha) could be send as leaders of the army expedition to Tyria by order of the emperor and similarly Sunspears led by their new heros could be sent. Or if you character was tyrian born you could be perhaps recalled to serve by Ascalon. :cloud9: Sorry i just love the military aspect of Guild Wars.

Barinthus
09-06-2007, 20:57
Off the track here - it'd be so awesome if they was to come out with a military strategy game orienting around the entire GW world...

Yara
09-06-2007, 22:37
Off the track here - it'd be so awesome if they was to come out with a military strategy game orienting around the entire GW world...

Me and my friends have been working on a map of tyria for the board game Axis & Allies, we got tired of playing World War II lol, guess where not the only ones that crave Guild Wars Strat.

aptaleonII
10-06-2007, 00:18
Guild Wars strategy game... that would be awesome.

Sandotyu Akaoni
10-06-2007, 05:30
I wish they would just include a more military side in to guild wars, its funny i dont always like being the hero of the game sometimes i just wanna be a soldier or an average grunt. You know what im saying? But it would be so amazing if somehow in GWEN they had epic and i mean truly epic battles with hundreds of men fighting whatever our foe is, men united from all the continents, the mighty imperial gaurd backed by the Luxon armada and the kurzicks, the sunspears and ofcourse the native tyrians. Quests where your decisions impacted the battle.

Hey im way off topic now but i can wish ^__^

Quintus Antonius
10-06-2007, 14:12
No more OT please.

Nanashi
26-06-2007, 07:17
Notice the capitalisation? I think that in the Eye of the North we will bear witness to, and probably even go so far as to effect, a historical moment in the history of Tyria. The Great Destroyer will bring an end to the Age of Man, and with the Charr abandoned by their gods, the Asura out in the open and the Sylvari just awakening, I'd say it sets the stage perfectly for Guild Wars 2.

The orcs in Lord Of The Rings, Sauron's minions, were said to destroy man kind as well.

That being said, It's a fear but not so much to be proven a fact. The idea that if the enemy does succeed it will spell the end of the world for man kind. Just as if if Sauron had recovered and gained the one ring, man kind would also cease to exist. We know humans are a playable race in Guild Wars 2, most likely many will have died. I think this is why we get monuments actually, because we ourselves will die or ascend into non existence accept for our records (which will be shown through the monuments) but that being said I think it's merely a statement of control. The Age Of Man, to me anyways, represents the power man has and recently everything that stood tall is slowly being destroyed. Man kind in GW, in my theory, is but transforming into a third world power; losing it's strength and hold over the planet. Thus other races will reach their peek along side and wars will break out, a more stable but chaotic balance.

bearsfwd
19-07-2007, 03:13
I'm not a really big lore follower, but I do check out these threads now and then, and this particular thread really caught my eye.

As soon as I started to read through the posts, the first thing that popped into my mind were the Flameseeker Prophecies. We do have THIS (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455977) thread on the very subject.

Now, I read through that thread for the most part before it got pulled away from the Flameseeker Prophecies. However, I do find it interesting to note that we are back in Tyria, where they took place. We were told that we completed them. However, how often in story lines are we told something just to have that very thing not be completely true. I feel this is the case.

From the official guild wars wiki on the Flameseeker Prophecies:

They are a collection of predictions concerning the future of Tyria and the survival of humans in the face of great and terrible events that would engulf their world.

I'm suprised that you guys haven't picked up on this already, but take a closer look at this (http://www.guildwars.com/press/releases/eyeofthenorthgw2/eyeofthenorth.php).

In the face of Tyria's greatest challenges, heroes have arisen to thwart the forces of darkness. The Titans have been driven back to the demon realms, Shiro has been unmasked, and Abaddon has fallen.

Now a new darkness threatens Tyria. Great earthquakes wrack the lands, opening huge underground complexes beneath the earth. Boiling up from that darkness, an ancient enemy may spell the end of the Age of Man...

To me, that passage that Santax quoted, kinda fits along with the Prophecies. We may have only seen the beginning. Part of me wants to believe the Lich clamied that he was the Flameseeker in order to allow whoever the REAL Flamseeker is (maybe the great destroyer), to complete them.

On the other hand, maybe the Lich WAS the Flameseeker, but because of his actions the Prophecies continued on and we are now coming up to what could possibly be the destruction of the human race. We only thought we had stopped them at the end of GW:P.

I will admit right now that I don't necessarily have facts on hand to back up this theory I brainstormed, so maybe I am completely missing something important which makes my theory totally wrong. But I wanted to give it a shot and see if maybe it had something plausible to it. Heck, maybe I'm even on the right track but messed a couple things up. But let me know what you think.