PDA

View Full Version : Territory change (GW1) and "World" change (GW2), limited too?

NeHoMaR
02-05-2007, 19:45
First, I love this game, I wanna make that clear!

One of the things I always hated even from the first day I started to play, is the LIMITED changes of territory (server), when you feel like kidnapped forever in a server! (when could be relatively easy allow one change per month, without affect the favor system)

Now, seem like GW2 won't have any "territory" (aka Europe, America) but it will be global; that's ok, also seem like you must select a "World" I suppose will be the "server" where yo play, but here my question: The selection of that "Worlds" will be LIMITED too? or unlimited? I don't wanna feel kidnapped forever in GW2 too!

Lunari
02-05-2007, 20:03
Kidnapped? I can shut out my computer anytime I want

But I would like if they din't split us up (so dramaticly) as in GW1. It would be fun to meet people and talk to people from the other side of the world ^^

captain lucky
02-05-2007, 20:45
Iv been thinking about what worlds could mean some thing its race but I think it could be Territory and the more worlds the more teams in World PVP.

As for the limited Worlds question well GW2 will be persistant not nearly completly instanted so they could kick districts out of the equation guess we will have to wait and see.

HAPPYcat
02-05-2007, 20:50
I would also like to nix the number of territory changes.

If Americans want to play in Europe and suffer from ping issues, that's their choice. They shouldn't be forced to make a permanent change in their territory.

majoho
02-05-2007, 20:57
Yes lets start complaining about this now, I mean the game will be out in a couple of weeks *SIGH*

Erasculio
02-05-2007, 21:10
I think it has been mentioned in one interview that we would have complete freedom when changing among worlds. Keep in mind that GW has always tried to keep the "Play with anyone, anywhere" idea (with a few exceptions, I know :rolleyes:). So unless there's an "International World", I expect us to be able to change worlds at will even if just to play with people there.

Erasculio

The Anvil
02-05-2007, 21:12
I get the feeling that the average GW player has never played a full fledged MMO. Dividing the playerbase into manable segments is a vital part of having an actual, non instanced world. It's not "kidnapping" it's simply a needed aspect of a MMO.

NeHoMaR
02-05-2007, 23:08
I think people aren't getting the idea here. Let's explain a little more:

As I read everywhere, I understand World vs World will be like being in the same place, one team is from World 1 (Server 1) and the other team from World 2 (Server 2), that mean you fight for your "world" (territory, server, realm, or whatever you wanna name it), similar like you now fight for Europe or America in HA. So, you must choose a world (like WoW realms) and fight for it, because it will has privileges similar to FoW/UW access (aka: Favor)

All this make me think World choosing could be limited! like it's right now in GW1.

Yes lets start complaining about this now, I mean the game will be out in a couple of weeks *SIGH*Better now, and not when the game is out, and they (arenanet) say: Oh noz!, is not possible to implement now! wait for GW3

I get the feeling that the average GW player has never played a full fledged MMO. Dividing the playerbase into manable segments is a vital part of having an actual, non instanced world. It's not "kidnapping" it's simply a needed aspect of a MMO.The only "persistent" thing in GW1 is the favor, so, the favor is the only thing affected if people can or can't change territory freely. Limiting territory change forever in GW1 is ridiculous in my opinion; An option for change it at least one time every 3 months can't affect the favor so badly!

I understand very well how MMORPGs out there work; GW2 will need some type of "realms", and that realms are the "worlds" they are talking about, and that worlds will be able to fight each others (unlike most MMORPGs), so yes, I can ask, could I change infinite times between realms? or I will be limited?

Wolfcp
02-05-2007, 23:23
They have stated in all previews thusfar that travel between worlds, or "shards" will be unrestricted.

The Anvil
02-05-2007, 23:43
The only "persistent" thing in GW1 is the favor, so, the favor is the only thing affected if people can or can't change territory freely. Limiting territory change forever in GW1 is ridiculous in my opinion; An option for change it at least one time every 3 months can't affect the favor so badly!
True. GW is not a traditional MMO so many of the rules regarding them don't fit into play. However, to blame favor- perhaps the single stupidest mechanic I have seen in Guild Wars, is a bit off. It is most likely a way to compartmentalize players based on location to cut down on lag and not conflict with the rules of another country/company responsible for a foreign release. (Third party distributers for foreign releases, China restricting time online, etc)

The bigger question is- why do you need to change servers? If it is favor, blame bad game design. However, we are talking mainly about the release of a new game with new mechanics- so why do you see the need to have free, quick, unlimited server transfers?

pixl
03-05-2007, 00:10
you should be able to change territories like districts

unknown entity
03-05-2007, 01:04
You don't have to make assumpiton when the asnwer was given, NeHoMaR.

As Erasculio said, Jeff answered in one onnline interview that players can choose/move worlds freely (to meet friends on other world, to avoid crowded/jammed world).
There will be no server like 'US' but server1, server2, and so on. (might have unique name for each of them)

World PvP is casual PvP. Winning world would gain some benefit but it wouldn't restrict access to certain contents (UW/FoW) even if players stay in losing world. This is clearly stated in PCGamer May issue.

Seven Ninety
03-05-2007, 01:28
^^ That is what I read also in one of the articles (sorry cant remember which one). IIRC we will not be bound to our server, la WoW.

Thats a good thing.

Blazing Liger
03-05-2007, 01:34
I'm glad we won't be, because I have friends who play FFXI, and there you are randomly assigned to a server and getting into your friends' server and whatnot is a real pain, from the look of it.

NeHoMaR
03-05-2007, 02:32
...why do you see the need to have free, quick, unlimited server transfers?Well, Arenanet still is Arenanet, the same people; They could be thinking in a "Favor" thing again; They think the "Favor" is a good thing, because it has not been changed from the very beginning of the game until now. I am not sure, but maybe they already understood the "problems" of the favor system and can not fix it right now because the game design or whatever, OR, they still think the "favor" is the right thing for GW2, even with that "Worlds" idea in mind.

maina
03-05-2007, 06:10
Hiya,

The impression I received from the "press" so far, leads me to a optimistic view. No limits on changes to "servers", "shards" etc.

The problems I see are, wholesale migrations of "general players" to areas receiving benefits. Not unlike wanting to switch servers because of favor. Let's say they do away with a "favor" limiting your choice of "leet end game areas", but add x2 xp or some similar effect for a winning "shard", people will move in mass to gain benefit. I'd rather see free movement and no "advantages" to a winning "shard"/"world".

As to connecting with everyone and playing "with the world". It's a pipe dream at this point in time. This game, selling in "some" countries, will never allow you to jump into "their" servers and play with them, its just a fact of their laws and government. Second point against a "free Internet" or game, even the Internet keeps you out of things.

Just a few examples/thoughts,

The U.S. and it's laws (challenged by the UN) over Internet gambling.
China's restrictions on the Internet, and whole countries blocking youtube because of a single video.
Any Internet access to a country ruled by Sharia courts.

Free "server changes" would be great, but "playing with the whole world", and "freedom of the Internet", are not fully true. If Anet does offer unlimited changes, there will still be limitations at least to where you could change to.

Maina

NeHoMaR
03-05-2007, 17:15
Internet "restrictions" are only for people that don't know how to bypass it. If I have Internet access I can visit all websites and play all games from everywhere in the world, doesn't matter if is blocked, banned, or whatever. Now, for the average user that indeed could be a problem; Anyway, I think 90% of the world is enough for GW2.

Balan Makki
03-05-2007, 17:58
First, I love this game, I wanna make that clear!

One of the things I always hated even from the first day I started to play, is the LIMITED changes of territory (server), when you feel like kidnapped forever in a server! (when could be relatively easy allow one change per month, without affect the favor system)

Now, seem like GW2 won't have any "territory" (aka Europe, America) but it will be global; that's ok, also seem like you must select a "World" I suppose will be the "server" where yo play, but here my question: The selection of that "Worlds" will be LIMITED too? or unlimited? I don't wanna feel kidnapped forever in GW2 too!

Read some of the articles Linked on the GW official site: under press coverage. http://www.guildwars.com/press/mediapartners.php

Much is said regarding access to any server you wish. My biggest concern is the Sidekick setup when in WvW, Hopefully they won't require it, and will just autoload your PvP character when you enter.