PDA

View Full Version : Perfecting Grenth's Grasp

Perfect_11.
24-05-2007, 05:12
Im trying to run a better Grenth's Grasp Ranger and this is what I'm currently using...

Called Shot
Savage Shot
Grenth's Grasp [E]
Apply Poison
Harrier's Haste
Pious Restoration
Lightning Reflexes
Whirling Defense

Basically with Harrier's Haste and Called Shot buffed with Grenth's Grasp and Apply Poison, you can run down people pretty well given enough time. I find myself not using lightning reflexes whirling defense as much, and pious restoration is a pretty bare heal.

I could try putting in screaming shot or hunter's shot for added degen, but somehow it is taking too long for me alone to kill someone (and because I use a longbow with called shot, my savage doesn't interrupt too well). What skills should i trade out in order to gain killing power?

mmorpg man
24-05-2007, 10:52
flamming arrow is more suited than apply poison because of the faster degen. what bow are you using for this build?

Kendel
24-05-2007, 12:37
flamming arrow is more suited than apply poison because of the faster degen. what bow are you using for this build?

What?

This build isn't meant for killing. If you want killing, bring Burning Arrow. If you go with 2 or 3 other offensive players who lack snares this is where Grenths Grasp comes in. Quite effective if you work with 3 Touch Rangers too. Basically Grenths Grasp is there to stop people running away from the real damage dealers while you provide pressure and a constant stream of unblockable cripples.

mmorpg man
24-05-2007, 12:48
well in that case why hasn't he got pin down or hunters shot if he wants to stop the enemy running away? also if he wants to interupt people why is he using a longbow?

Kendel
24-05-2007, 13:02
well in that case why hasn't he got pin down or hunters shot if he wants to stop the enemy running away? also if he wants to interupt people why is he using a longbow?

Hunters Shot???

Pin Down has a 15 second recharge and costs 15 energy, is blockable AND is easily avoided at longer distances.
Grenths Grasp makes Called Shot into an unblockable, super fast crippling arrow with a cover condition that is just as effective at all ranges and can be used with other attack skills to cripple the majority of a team.
And you can interrupt with a Longbow... not EVERY build that uses an interrupt MUST have a Recurve. But it would probably be best to use both for when they get closer.

Not every ranger has to use Burning Arrow to be effective you know.

mmorpg man
24-05-2007, 17:18
my post had suggestions and nothing more

Perfect_11.
24-05-2007, 20:35
@ mmorpg man

-i don't need suggestions on changing my elite... I know what the standard AB BA build is... this build CENTERED around Grenth's Grasp, which is elite. Also, since Grenth's Grasp cripples after every attack skill, I do not need Pin Down. I'm simply looking to slightly increase my offense, because I know I have some defensive skills on my bar that I do not use often

Some Dude
27-05-2007, 11:23
Grenth's grasp is a waste of an elite. Take harrier's grasp and then you can use a different elite.

You don't need 2 dodge stances, tanking = bad in PvP. Why not take natural stride, then you get dodge % and speed buff in 1, which lets you drop harrier's haste.

Called shot is a bad skill.

Where is distracting shot?

Kendel the fact that you referred to using this build with 3 touch rangers, and the fact that you referred to these as 'real damage dealers', disturbs me greatly.

Honestly if you really wanna run a good snaring character, make a water ele. Bring shatterstone and you can spike stuff hard. gg.

Btw don't focus too hard on snaring people in AB. Remember the goal is to cap shrines. Chasing people all over the map so you can eventually kill them is counterproductive.

Perfect_11.
28-05-2007, 04:27
i was using called shot because called shot+grenth's grasp= guaranteed cripple unless there is a wall in your way or you are blind

otherwise i guess i'll just shift back to my old build... grenth's grasp is cool tho =P

Dogbert
06-06-2007, 19:50
1 Called Shot
2 Savage Shot
3 Distracting Shot
4 Grenth's Grasp [E]
5 Apply Poison
6 Natural Stride
7 Troll unguent
8 Screaming shot or Mending touch

This is the standard Grenth build for rangers. The last skill slot is flexible but i think the two suggestions are hard to beat. Sometimes i take Storm chaser to be on the move more. But remember in ab there is Battle cry.

Attribute layout:

Expertise: 12+1+1
Marksmanship: 8+1
Wilderness: 9+1
Wind prayers: Rest

Grenth's grasp is not a waste of an elite. For ab there might be better options but it's still a good elite expecially on a ranger or paragon.

Some Dude
08-06-2007, 02:28
1 Called Shot
2 Savage Shot
3 Distracting Shot
4 Grenth's Grasp [E]
5 Apply Poison
6 Natural Stride
7 Troll unguent
8 Screaming shot or Mending touch

This is the standard Grenth build for rangers. The last skill slot is flexible but i think the two suggestions are hard to beat. Sometimes i take Storm chaser to be on the move more. But remember in ab there is Battle cry.

Attribute layout:

Expertise: 12+1+1
Wind prayers: Rest

Grenth's grasp is not a waste of an elite. For ab there might be better options but it's still a good elite expecially on a ranger or paragon.

Grenth's grasp requires too many things of you.

You have to:
a) Take a bad skill like called shot that you would never otherwise take. Therefore grenth's grasp is effectively taking up 2 skills on your bar
b) Lock in your secondary, which means you can't take mending touch (despite what you've listed up there as the 'standard' build, which it it obviously isn't because i) Nobody plays grenth's grasp so the concept of a standard build can not apply to it and ii) If you'd actually played the build, you would have realised that you can't take mending touch on a R/D
c) Take a cold bow
d) Gimp your damage output when compared with say Burning Arrow, which means you will cap slower, which means you fail at AB. Your damage is gimped not only because you can't run BA, but because you only have 9 in Marks.

However if you want to run Grenth's, I would suggest dropping a point from expertise. 13 expertise is the breakpoint for 5e skills and 15e skills. Going to 14 expertise only gets you -1 energy cost from savage shot and screaming shot. I'd put +1 to wind and +1 to marks instead (longer cripple, effective -5 armor vs your attacks).

Since there's no DP in AB's, I'd consider running a sup rune instead, so that you get to 12 in marks and don't have gimpy damage.

Dogbert
08-06-2007, 18:21
Grenth's grasp requires too many things of you.

You have to:
a) Take a bad skill like called shot that you would never otherwise take. Therefore grenth's grasp is effectively taking up 2 skills on your bar
b) Lock in your secondary, which means you can't take mending touch (despite what you've listed up there as the 'standard' build, which it it obviously isn't because i) Nobody plays grenth's grasp so the concept of a standard build can not apply to it and ii) If you'd actually played the build, you would have realised that you can't take mending touch on a R/D
c) Take a cold bow
d) Gimp your damage output when compared with say Burning Arrow, which means you will cap slower, which means you fail at AB. Your damage is gimped not only because you can't run BA, but because you only have 9 in Marks.

However if you want to run Grenth's, I would suggest dropping a point from expertise. 13 expertise is the breakpoint for 5e skills and 15e skills. Going to 14 expertise only gets you -1 energy cost from savage shot and screaming shot. I'd put +1 to wind and +1 to marks instead (longer cripple, effective -5 armor vs your attacks).

Since there's no DP in AB's, I'd consider running a sup rune instead, so that you get to 12 in marks and don't have gimpy damage.

a) Called shot is the best skill to use with grenth period. It may take up two skill slots compared to the normal crip shot build but it's much less energy intensive to spread the cripple.

b) This is the standard grenth build from wiki. It's not used much anymore because there are better builds out there. Secondary profession is locked yes but you are really only missing out mending touch. Btw it was frankly silly of me to list mending touch as an option sorry about it i just wasn't thinking clearly :)

c) Having to take a cold bowstring is not that much of a disadvantage. The cripple lasts longer than a normal cripshot even with a crippling bowstring anyway and you can still take another poisonous bow or whatever you want.

d) Why are you comparing this to a burning arrow ranger wouldn't it be more logical to compare it to the crip shot ranger?
This thread is about Grenth's grasp not Burning arrow.
I didn't say it's the best build in ab but the op wants to run it and he needs help perfecting it.

I'm aware of the breakpoints for expertise.
I put 14 in expertise only for savage shot. Most rangers tend to use it alot and it drains quite alot of energy.

If you don't plan to use it alot then go ahead and play with 13 expertise.

Expertise: 11+1+1
Wind: 8

Marksmanship is only for reaching the requirement of the bow. Most of the damage done is through degen that's why i listed screaming shot as a good skill to bring for ab. Hunter's shot is also a good skill. It's extremely easy to cause bleeding with it on a snared target. It's just that it doesn't work too well on the npc at the shrines.

Also this is just a general attribute layout. For ab i would also use a superior rune because there isn't much of a drawback.

Some Dude
12-06-2007, 08:55
a) Just because skill X and skill Y combo together, does not make skill X, skill Y, or the combo any good

b) i) Anyone can modify the wiki
ii) Agreed it was silly :p
iii) Mending touch owns

c) True, minor down side

d) i) Crip shots are gimped now, I am comparing it to other rangers you are likely to see in an AB. Seriously if you want to compare snaring capability, let's compare to a water ele...
ii) I don't like seeing people running crap in AB, and I am trying to help him out so that he wins more AB's.

Hunter's shot is a crappy skill. Because the NPC's don't move. Which is why causing cripple in AB is over-rated, since 90% of your attacking should be against NPC's. Seriously. That's why I suggested going with 12 marks, as your DPS will be increased significantly...

Of course if you are any good at the game you can run whatever you want in AB, since the skill level is quite low. But if you really wanna mess people up, don't run grenth's grasp.