PDA

View Full Version : Hero's Ascent, not Player's Ascent

zoombini
11-07-2007, 19:44
Just wondering, why are there so many heroways lately? They are all pretty much the same. They seem kind of overpowered, but for me (Im usually monk), its only the 3 thumpers that are really annoying. The only reason i use heros (usually non-meta heros) is because they are more reliable/available than lower ranked real people (<r6). Im r5, and groups ive been in that are r4/5 dont seem competent enough to get very far (which is why high ranked ppl want high ranked ppl), which is why i take heros (got to halls more often with heros than with real ppl). What my real question is, why do high ranked guilds take heros? Are hero better than them, or do they just not have enough ppl playing? And just a random question to all you pro HA-ers: does heroway count as a gimmick build, even though it can win halls?

raspberry jam
11-07-2007, 22:10
Im r5, and groups ive been in that are r4/5 dont seem competent enough to get very far (which is why high ranked ppl want high ranked ppl), which is why i take heros (got to halls more often with heros than with real ppl). What my real question is, why do high ranked guilds take heros? Are hero better than them, or do they just not have enough ppl playing? And just a random question to all you pro HA-ers: does heroway count as a gimmick build, even though it can win halls?

An amusing thing I've noticed is that

low ranked ppl > unranked ppl > high ranked ppl

It makes no sense but it's true

Heroway counts as gimmick build if the build is a gimmick (it usually is). If you can pull off a truly balanced team using heros, then good for you, it wouldn't be a gimmick.

grimwold
11-07-2007, 22:23
Pick up groups are pick up groups regardless of rank and generally dont do very well unless you get lucky when making your team and get a bunch of nice people that can gel fast. Happens very rarely but it happens all the same.

High ranked guilds doing heroway are perhaps bored and are waiting for more people to come on so they can gvg.

All of the high ranked groups (from friends lists and guildmates) run spike builds that are made to kill fast and dont hold up too well to pressure which is all that heroway is. Heroway basically excels in 1v1 battles and suck on kill counts and relic runs. If they get to halls they have skipped those maps or have just been lucky and met bad teams on them.

Try not to go down the road of what is a gimmick and what isnt, its tiresome. Just accept the fact that people will play what wins and what gets them fame (or gvg wins).

shardfenix
13-07-2007, 08:35
No offense to you personally, but any player who has gotton his or her rank since HA went 6v6 probably can't beat most pve missions. The level of competition in HA is laughable. Heroes are better than most rank 9s nowadays.

B Ephekt
13-07-2007, 09:32
I actually agree with Shard for once.

If you didn't have you tiger a year+ ago, or GvG at a decent level, you're probably bad.

An amusing thing I've noticed is that

low ranked ppl > unranked ppl > high ranked ppl

It makes no sense but it's trueIf this were actually true unranked people would be ranked and low ranked people would be high ranked. HA is pretty terrible now, but high ranked players still have a much higher chance of sucking less than low or unranked players.

grimwold
13-07-2007, 16:06
I cant help but wonder why you guys still play the game when you show such disdain for it ? and if you dont play then why are you still on the forums ?

Shuuda
13-07-2007, 18:37
I cant help but wonder why you guys still play the game when you show such disdain for it ? and if you dont play then why are you still on the forums ?

A word of advice, it's better not to think about it, it's just not worth asking that question.

woot im a warrior
13-07-2007, 18:58

People still love the game, it is just a lot worse then it once was. People come on these forums and complain hoping ANET will listen. Most of the good players have also left already because of all the things ANET has done to ruin the game, and ANET seems happy with the results.

Ranger Nietzsche
13-07-2007, 19:55
If you didn't have you tiger a year+ ago, or GvG at a decent level, you're probably bad.

now ephekt, we both know you didn't have your tiger this time last year. :P

oles
13-07-2007, 20:03

Speak for yourself.

B Ephekt
13-07-2007, 22:22
now ephekt, we both know you didn't have your tiger this time last year. :P
You do realize how long it's been since I was in Spearmen, right?

Buddah
15-07-2007, 05:17

Or you just don't care.

Ranger Nietzsche
15-07-2007, 18:01
it hasn't been a year.

B Ephekt
15-07-2007, 18:16
It's been over a year. I know because of my birthday and what guild I was in for it. Also because DeeR was top 20 on the ladder at that point, and the reason I got kicked was for asking if I could get an invite back if I membered to farm champs with Natures. (something we'd been doing with BC's smurf, but Aubre? took issue with when I asked.)

supermanboy
15-07-2007, 19:49
People still love the game, it is just a lot worse then it once was. People come on these forums and complain hoping ANET will listen. Most of the good players have also left already because of all the things ANET has done to ruin the game, and ANET seems happy with the results.

I've been playing for about 11 months. What do you mean by this?

I typically pve btw. ;)

woot im a warrior
15-07-2007, 19:51
I've been playing for about 11 months. What do you mean by this?

I typically pve btw. ;)

You play PvE so you don't understand. I was talking about the PvP community.

supermanboy
16-07-2007, 04:38
Exactly, what is it that they have changed that has ruffled so many feathers?

woot im a warrior
16-07-2007, 07:40
Exactly, what is it that they have changed that has ruffled so many feathers?

Lack of support, changed it to 6v6, added kill count, removed maps, added stupid mechanics in HoH. All of these things combined has killed HA, but changing it to 6v6 was the main thing that caused so many to leave.

Ranger Nietzsche
16-07-2007, 13:08
considering i wasn't yet in the guild a year ago, and we were in at the same time, your math doesn't add up.

on topic, 6v6 was the worst thing to ever happen to HA. so yes, that is what pissed us all off.

exjeh
17-07-2007, 00:28
Lets take this back to the subject , heroes are for fast fame in the morning , when mostly nubs are playing , you can't rly find alot of people , so you scrab some friends together add some heroes , make a build , and lets roll , Heroway got me more then 1 k fame in total , better then waiting 30 mins for a full party and do 1-3 runs because people need to leave.

Ranger Nietzsche
17-07-2007, 09:34
hey when heroway first became available after NF, my friend got 1000 fame in 24 hours of straight play with just himself, heroes, and henchmen.

raspberry jam
27-07-2007, 22:05
If this were actually true unranked people would be ranked and low ranked people would be high ranked. HA is pretty terrible now, but high ranked players still have a much higher chance of sucking less than low or unranked players.If you actually bothered to read what I said, you'd see that I said that high ranked players will indeed beat everyone else most of the time, but also that unranked players generally play better than low ranked players. Don't ask me for logic or for a proof. It's just an empiric observation.

EDIT: :laugh: oops I obviously meant:

low ranks < unranked < high ranks