PDA

View Full Version : [MERGED] Why is There no Conjure Earth Spell?

Silent Reader
26-05-2005, 17:26
Everybody knows there are four elemental types in guildwars: fire, earth, water, and air. Between these types there are certain spells that are the same essentially but are spread to match the four different types: such as attunement. But then why does this trend break with earth? For instance, all other types of elementalist get a conjure <insert element> spell to add damage to their attacks yet earth does not have one. Also all of the other elements get a spell called mind <shock, burn, or freeze> yet earth does not. So i wonder why it is that the earth ele doesn't get this kind of stuff. I sure hope guild wars isn't playing favorites with the other types of eles......

Diast
26-05-2005, 18:19
Everybody knows there are four elemental types in guildwars: fire, earth, water, and air. Between these types there are certain spells that are the same essentially but are spread to match the four different types: such as attunement. But then why does this trend break with earth? For instance, all other types of elementalist get a conjure <insert element> spell to add damage to their attacks yet earth does not have one. Also all of the other elements get a spell called mind <shock, burn, or freeze> yet earth does not. So i wonder why it is that the earth ele doesn't get this kind of stuff. I sure hope guild wars isn't playing favorites with the other types of eles......

come on man, you gotta usea little common sense here :happy59:

Not all of the different elements are the same within the elem class. Does any other class have wards? Yes, only water, just one ward, ward against harm. Earth has THREE wards, melee, foes, and elements. No other class besides water has even ONE ward. Also earth has THREE spells that add to your armor, plus another that adds 75% melee block to yourself for 11 seconds at 15 earth magic.

As for range attacks, stoning does knockdown if target is suffering from weakness, stone daggers is the standard "5 mana spam skill", and eruption does 24 damage per second and blinds when it ends.

Earthquake + Aftershock, iver done over 250 dmg with that combo + earthquake as HUGE AoE. The crystal wave, ignores ALL armor and does 100 dmg to all nearby enemies at 15 earth magic.

I've been fire, water, air, and earth elem, but so far I have found myself liking earth more and more. Through the great uses of powerful wards, from buffing my own armor for survival, to laying down a huge earthquake + aftershock + crystal wave, I love being earth, and your party likes earth elem's more too becuase of the useful wards.

Silent Reader
26-05-2005, 18:27
come on man, you gotta usea little common sense here :happy59:

please don't misconstrue (sp?) my intentions. Of course i realize that every type of ele has different spells (I myself am an earth ele for their superior defense and nice offense) but i was just saying that there are some spells that all of the other types get that earth don't. see all types get their attunement. but then only the other three get stuff like conjure <element>. Not that i would use it but a ele /w who went with earth magic for defense might want to conjure earth so that he could add the dmg to his weapon and not have to spend points otherwise.

Diast
26-05-2005, 18:29
Earth doesnt have conjure, it has 3 different wards. I think it's a good trade :idea:

Phaeax
26-05-2005, 18:45
...Because the added earth damage on a weapon is too heavy to lift.

I tried to think of a "mind" spell that earth could have too, and what condition it could cause. Knockdown and slowing are already taken by air and water, respectively. And for the life of me, I can't think of a good effect like "shock" or "freeze" that would go with it.

So that must be it... the reason for incongruencies between earth and other elemental lines is... writer's bock.

dirtycash
26-05-2005, 19:23
...Because the added earth damage on a weapon is too heavy to lift.

I tried to think of a "mind" spell that earth could have too, and what condition it could cause. Knockdown and slowing are already taken by air and water, respectively. And for the life of me, I can't think of a good effect like "shock" or "freeze" that would go with it.

So that must be it... the reason for incongruencies between earth and other elemental lines is... writer's bock.

Phaeax, I had the same question as the thread started long ago. I sat there looking at all the skills. Then I said to myself, "How does one conjure dirt?" and "What would the mind spell be?"......."Sandy Brains"?

Diceclock
26-05-2005, 20:20
Earth Elementalists can cause earthquakes and volcano's, but some how throwing dirt into somebody's eyes is just beyond us? :confused1

Aire
26-05-2005, 20:25
Elementalists's are just not that low enough to scoop up dirt from the ground and chuck it at someone :p

/Aire :)

Diceclock
26-05-2005, 20:34
I'll throw anything at the enemy that works. Hell, I'd spam "kidney stone" at you if it was available. :happy65:

Ghostlord
26-05-2005, 20:45
Elementalists's are just not that low enough to scoop up dirt from the ground and chuck it at someone :p

/Aire :)

isnt that just what eruption does when it ends? :)

XeroTheta
26-05-2005, 21:20
I think Mind Sunder or Conjure Obsidian would be cool spell names for those

Mind sunder could weaken armor or cause weakness

Conjure obsidian would simply do for earth what the other conjure spells would do.

I do agree however those "missing" spells are well made up for by the presence of the wards

Ghostlord
26-05-2005, 21:28
I think Mind Sunder or Conjure Obsidian would be cool spell names for those

Mind sunder could weaken armor or cause weakness

Conjure obsidian would simply do for earth what the other conjure spells would do.

I do agree however those "missing" spells are well made up for by the presence of the wards

weaken armor for a elementalist? oh yeah,there'll be no end of it then...E/N using mind sunder and stack with weaken armor for...i donno -40 AL? -60? then the target dies like a lvl 2 skale in presearing ascalon to the 3 warriors pounding him.
Conjure obsidian sounds good and all,but lets face it,if this happened there'd be no end of the number of E/W and W/E's running around...if they had both conjure,wards,armor of earth,armorweakening mind sunder and obsidian flame...i mean,what else do you need?

Phaeax
26-05-2005, 21:32
what else do you need?
I don't think he needed any of it; just kickin' the ol' bean around. But it's better than I could come up with. ;)

I was working on Mind Calcification, which causes a daze, and although totally overpowered, it would make me giggle to hear someone shout on TS, "You need to calcify that monk!"

PKMG StaR
26-05-2005, 22:23
Elementalist cant throw dirt because if the kneeled down to grab some dirt they would get their pretty dresses dirty~

Feynt
27-05-2005, 08:46
I's no' a dress i's a kilt!
<swings a 9 iron at PKMG>

Yeah, afflicting daze with Earth would be just plain wrong. I proposed in another thread that spamming Stone Daggers on a dazed opponent would totally lock them down unless they had super timing or luck.

Stygian Abyss
27-05-2005, 13:36
Earth Elementalists can cause earthquakes and volcano's, but some how throwing dirt into somebody's eyes is just beyond us? :confused1

Gathering all that dirt up with telekinetic powers is very hard. You have to focous your power into each individual particale to make it lift up. :lol:

Tinjus
21-07-2005, 08:09
seriously, there are enchantments that boost all elemental dmg type ingame, except for earth

Conjure Flame - fire
Conjure Frost - ice
Conjure Lightning - lightning

so what happened to earth dmg? we still get Ebon weapon upgrades, but aside from simply dealing earth dmg(btw, is it just me, or are there not too many foes that are weak against earth, like so many are weak to fire/ice/air nukes?)

is there any reason why a Conjure Earth was never implemented?

Colretsun Andolin
21-07-2005, 08:16
Why stop at conjure earth? I would like Mind of Stone or Stone Mind or something...maybe like increase casting time for 2-6 seconds or whatever, I probably wouldn't use it, but it would be nice to have.

Emalf
21-07-2005, 10:24
if you think about it no other element offers as much defence as Earth.

Azuth of CoR
22-07-2005, 17:00
This is secondhand info from an alpha tester, so believe at your discretion. Conjure Earth was originally included, but the devs realized it never was used. Why? Like all conjures it removed enchantments. And a geo with no enchantments typically equals a dead geo.

Mgzkun
22-07-2005, 17:05
but it is pretty good for us R/E who don't use any enchant at all :D (except conjure xyz)

hahnsoo
22-07-2005, 17:44
If you think about it, if I was an A.net dev after the BWEs and I was finalizing my skill list, and saw that I need to give the axe to several Elementalist skills, what would be one of the first ones I'd remove? The redundant skills. Conjure Earth is mostly redundant and the least-used of all the Conjures for the reasons stated above. Maybe we'll see it in an expansion, when all classes would possibly gain brand new skills.

This is also the same reason, by the way, that Rangers lost Strider's Reflexes and several other stances, along with Call of Ferocity and several other Pet Calls.

Neon
09-05-2006, 00:51
Have i gone bonkers, or is there really no Conjure Earth skill in the game? I see Frost, Flame and Lightning.

Why am i descriminated against for being a geomancer !? ;)

Feynt
09-05-2006, 00:54
Because Earth is the best element, so it doesn't need a Conjure Earth skill. ^.^
You've got Stone Daggers to play with, 5 energy with no recharge, and it fires much faster than your wand does.

Guildoholic
09-05-2006, 01:55
Actually, I think that there's no Conjure Earth because Earth is supposed to be the "defensive" line of Ele spells.

Feynt
09-05-2006, 03:32
Lies, everyone knows Earth is the strongest element. >D

Genma Magik
09-05-2006, 03:53
Feynt face the truth it's defensive

plus There is no best attribute, and even if there were you'd still go with fire and air.

Aiiane
09-05-2006, 04:19
plus There is no best attribute, and even if there were you'd still go with fire and air.

Pardon? Why fire and air, might I ask? :smiley:

I happen to use earth and water most often in my PvE builds, beat Factions 2 days ago on my ele after I had beat it on my newly created Canthan ranger.

Lone Wolf
09-05-2006, 04:26
Actually, I think that there's no Conjure Earth because Earth is supposed to be the "defensive" line of Ele spells.
Water is somewhat defensive with its slow down spells and it still have a Conjure. Why should earth be any different?

-Lone Wolf

Veron
09-05-2006, 05:16
There's no Conjure Earth for the same reason there's no Earthbound Ranger armor. It's unique.

sophistry
09-05-2006, 07:48
cus a k/d hammer war with armor of earth as and conjure earth would really REALLY hurt ...even if it would be funny as hell to see....

FireballX
09-05-2006, 08:40
What exactly would you be throwing? Clumps of dirt?

No reason not to have it, but I wouldn't put it on my E if it were earthspec. It's fire/ice, btw, since I like big numbers.

Isk8
09-05-2006, 09:59
There is no Conjure Earth, because alot of the Earth skills ignore armor.

Thats the way I see it at least.

Xunlai Agent
09-05-2006, 12:30
I would still like to see it :angry:

~Xunlai Agent~

The Boz
09-05-2006, 13:36
Furthermore, there is no Mind Rock/Stone/Block/whathaveyou.
Conjure Earth could exist, and throw additional rocks with every attack you make. So could the Mind Whatever.

Neon
09-05-2006, 14:34
Well, i run 100% geomancer and only use ward as a defensive skill! I would have to disagree that with the release of Factions earth has become a great dmg dealer.

My skills bar generally runs: (PVE)

Earth Magic, 16
Energy Storage, 14

Ash Blast, Obsidian Flame, Churning Earth, Ward Against Melee, Dragons Stomp, Glyph of Energy {e}, Silver Armour, Resurrect

So yeah, lots of Factions skills, still progressing through, cant wait for Unsteady Ground and Shockwave :D

Ekrin
09-05-2006, 15:42
Feynt face the truth it's defensive

Obsidian Flame is the most awesome defensive spell I have ever encountered... So im going with the idea that it is because earth has armor ignoring skills

Feynt
10-05-2006, 00:10
Yes, Obsidian Flame, Crystal Wave/Teinai's Crystals, Dragon Stomp/Earthquake + Aftershock, Shockwave, Ash Blast, Unsteady Ground (5 seconds of area knock down baby, for anyone stupid enough to stand and attack in it at least)...
Earth is SO defensive I can't even tell you why people bother to use it. >.>

dhwvaden
10-05-2006, 05:45
I've always wondered why there is no CE. Why then do we have earth mods?

Isk8
10-05-2006, 06:05
Earth and water are both defensive and offensive.

Earth has more of a potential for offense than water though.

Ignore armor hits hard on targets.

Only problem I ever encountered with running a Geomancer build (and one reason why I looked so forward to it then was so disappointed) is that it is an energy guzzler.

wizardpc
11-05-2006, 08:23
has anyone ever made a e/w .....

i have and you get insane armor with armor of earth. I could outlast many warriors. Well imange perma armor of earth, and being able to add a conjure earth spell to hit for an extra 11-20 per swing, Then use sword skills to save mana? it would be insane.

so i use ice and earth and tatics with my e/w so that i can conjure frost, get both armors and get like +50 or 60 armor and it works out pretty good. But if i could i would get rid of water and go all earth if there were a conjure earth.

and for all of those, earth is not defensive. Yes they have armor/wards, but they also have very offensive spells, not to mention the hardest hitting spell agaisnt warriors/rangers obsiden flame

Xunlai Agent
11-05-2006, 13:23
Trust me Elementalist/Warriors using melee are not really a good idea by any means and the builds are usually inferior in damage and even their survivability is limited after enchant stripping has occured...

Tsukasa Kusanagi
11-05-2006, 16:14
Yes, I had a friend who tried E/W and didn't go over very well .. . at all. My biggest beef with geomancers, even though I play all four elements about the same, is it is a major energy zapper. Besides Attunements, does anyone have an idea to get around this?

Feynt
11-05-2006, 21:16
Use more adrenaline skills and less energy skills?

E/W's are nifty when you face just plain damage, they're on par with a warrior but have better energy stocks. The problem is you don't face just plain damage all that often, and as soon as your Armour of Earth can be stripped you're dead or out of melee until you can recast. That or you stance tank but you'd be better off as an R/W in that case...

They ARE rather potent in melee range though while they are rendered nigh invunerable though. Nothing feels quite as good as standing toe to toe with the worst that the underworld has to offer along side someone twice your size and thickness, doing about the same damage. ^.^

But then again now we have assassins as the new caster melee class with better skills to help you stay out of harm's way (or at least run from harm should the going get tough). Not to mention better armour than elementalists have.

Neon
12-05-2006, 13:14
Glyph of Energy {e} gets around using all your energy quickly, when i get my ele over to luxon territory and cap unsteady ground and shockwave, might have to drop Dragons Stomp and Glyph of Energy, for Lesser Energy and perhaps swap in Stone Daggers or Stoning or something.

Have people tried out Second Wind and Energy Boon?

Xunlai Agent
12-05-2006, 15:21
E/Ws were never on par with the Warriors and the Ranger/Warriors ever

Antonio Enigma
12-05-2006, 18:43
In my mind ele/wars are the perfect supplement to any warder with watch yourself and shields up, with WaM and WaE you have +20 armour on everything, +70 against Peircing Dam, +44 against ele dam as well as 50% to block all attacks. might throw in a WaS in there too, but not sure if i have the skill space... oh welll

waylayer
12-05-2006, 19:03
Has anyone ever considered that ArenaNet might not really care if there was a Conjure Earth?

Someone was prolly like: " zomgzus!!1 wait guys you forgot a conjure earth!!"
then arenanet was liek: "Um, not really," then with an italian accent they're all liek, "Forget-about-it."

In the grand scheme of things, a conjure earth isnt that important.

Genma Magik
13-05-2006, 18:56
Serious, would you possibly think that anet would give some good buff on some bad skills, no way!

Sure skills they may have done to have good buffs but do thats all done we need the skills to be a decnet level to where we like it but Anet is so lazy that they don't care anymore.

Were just gonna have to deal with it, cause will not change em. (Buff them) some may not even need a buff.

one question all ele's need answered,

Why don't we have any peace between us?

Feynt
14-05-2006, 20:36
Because pyromancers are arrogant and flamboyant, geomancers are stubborn and proud, aeromancers are aloof and insulting, and hydromancers are too stoic to give a damn. ^.^

Genma Magik
14-05-2006, 20:40
Because pyromancers are arrogant and flamboyant, geomancers are stubborn and proud, aeromancers are aloof and insulting, and hydromancers are too stoic to give a damn. ^.^

Exactly
It's our Fault that Anet hates us.

Antonio Enigma
15-05-2006, 02:03
i am not stubborn and you will never change my mind!!!!

wizardpc
15-05-2006, 04:47
wow. anyone that hasn't tried a e/w and says its crap , is a nieve idiot. First of all im talking RA not TA/ GvG / or HoH

Enchantment removal suxs yes. but i have two armors thats 134 armor combined stiping the lesser brings me at 100 or so. How is this bad when people beat on me. i get hit for 3 and 4 . How is this weak when a ranger or warrior hits me. The only thing that owns me is degen, as it goes through my armor. i can usually stall the degen with my heal sig as long as no one else is on me.

Saying e/w is crap is so ignorant and stupid. Don't bash stuff because you might not know how to play it, or are to FOTM Buildish to attemp it. Its different. and sometimes people don't know what to do. (example, the plethra of backfires casted on me. ) and btw, eles dont' do the most damage in this game. warriors do, and all they do is press spacebar. where we have to deplete our mana. and when its gone, we become a one spell spammer everytime its available with a pretty pathatic wand damage only usfull to take off reversal of fortune. I have done alot of damage , plus tons of monk harrasing with it. I would make it the other way w/e if i was able to cast all the armors, but it just takes too much mana, plus i use an exhustion spell that hits anyone for 89 damage regardless (except PS)

so in the end, there are many builds for eles, and yes i have a hydro, areo , and geomancer, so im not just a e/w guy. I have tried them all, and loved many. E/w is horrible Pve btw :)

Feynt
15-05-2006, 05:40
i am not stubborn and you will never change my mind!!!!
<plays a rimshot>

As for wizardpc, I DO have experience with E/W's in both situations, and they DO suck compared to every other combo on the whole. Their reliance on energy and/or enchantments is too high, a single mesmer or necromancer can totally shut them down. Not to mention rangers with Melandru's Arrows and a pet that uses Melandru's Assault will totally shred you (and I've seen a couple in PvP, they like hunting potential enchant targets like warriors under attack, monks, and elementalists). That said, they're a surprise to see at times, demoralizing when you realize you've been nailed by a melee elementalist, and damned fun to play. ^.^

In PvM an E/W is just as vunerable to enchantment removal, but thankfully not anti-enchantment attacks from rangers. However in missions which feature no such enchantment removal, they stand on par or perhaps even a plateau above warriors for tank status (due to versitility, equivilant damage output, and damage reduction).

Genma Magik
15-05-2006, 22:08
wow. anyone that hasn't tried a e/w and says its crap , is a nieve idiot. First of all im talking RA not TA/ GvG / or HoH

Enchantment removal suxs yes. but i have two armors thats 134 armor combined stiping the lesser brings me at 100 or so. How is this bad when people beat on me. i get hit for 3 and 4 . How is this weak when a ranger or warrior hits me. The only thing that owns me is degen, as it goes through my armor. i can usually stall the degen with my heal sig as long as no one else is on me.

Saying e/w is crap is so ignorant and stupid. Don't bash stuff because you might not know how to play it, or are to FOTM Buildish to attemp it. Its different. and sometimes people don't know what to do. (example, the plethra of backfires casted on me. ) and btw, eles dont' do the most damage in this game. warriors do, and all they do is press spacebar. where we have to deplete our mana. and when its gone, we become a one spell spammer everytime its available with a pretty pathatic wand damage only usfull to take off reversal of fortune. I have done alot of damage , plus tons of monk harrasing with it. I would make it the other way w/e if i was able to cast all the armors, but it just takes too much mana, plus i use an exhustion spell that hits anyone for 89 damage regardless (except PS)

so in the end, there are many builds for eles, and yes i have a hydro, areo , and geomancer, so im not just a e/w guy. I have tried them all, and loved many. E/w is horrible Pve btw :)

I just wanted to say I tried that once and it's pretty bad since you can only use tactics and all.
With all do with respect I'd have to agree.

DarkHaunts
15-04-2007, 20:36
I'm sure this has been mentioned a bazillion times before, but with GWEN being the final update to the old GW, this is the last opportunity to suggest it. Anet, can we have a Conjure Earth spell plz?

I don't know why this is missing. Is earth magic supposed to be 100% defensive, thus a spell with "+x damage" would be out of theme? If so, then why are there other offensive earth magic spells?

Are there fewer resistances to earth magic, thus making Conjure Earth too powerful in comparison to the other Conjure spells? I don't think so. Eles and rangers have armor mods that give them +AL vs all ele damage types, so it's not like geomancers have an extreme advantage.

I can't believe this spell was simply forgotten in Prophecies. There was likely a reason it was excluded. But now, with all the skill balances that have occured, I'm hoping that it would be reasonable to include Conjure Earth in GWEN.

Gorani
15-04-2007, 21:43
Conjure Earth is a litlte bit difficult...

In Prophecies: We had a strong division between Elements (Fire being AoE, Air being single target, Earth defensive utilities and Water snare)

In Factions: The lines blurred and every element got some stuff.
That would have been the right time to introduce Conjure Earth (perhaps)

In Nightfall: Both Stone Striker & Stone Sheath turns attack sto doing earth damage. I guess since there is no similiar skill in the other lines, this is your "Conjure Earth".

I don't know if they will add it in GWEN, but I doubt it.

PS: If you search the Forums, I guess you will find more arguments why Conjure Earth was excluded so far

Kilme
15-04-2007, 21:53
Anet didn't forget to add it, they removed it. Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading somewhere that Conjure Earth was in the beta, but it combined with the defensive abilities of Earth was overpowered, so they removed it altogether. I shudder to think of how worse it would be now, with spells like Stoneflesh Aura in the mix.

Xenox
15-04-2007, 21:57
Ya alot of people have been wanting it for a while, but i doubt there going to add it in with GWEN

Xunlai Agent
16-04-2007, 00:46
I am pretty sure the recent buff to Grasping Earth stands in the way as of now, I am not sure what the exact reasons for it were in the past.

If they do implement it I am putting it on a warrior with grasping earth, could be pretty deadly in GvG.
With just 6 Earth Magic I can perma snare targets, have 2-3 Warriors run in with Crippling Slash, Conjure Earth, Grasping Earth and maybe even a Bull's Strike on one of them and you will be wrecking havoc. Could have two Crippling Slashers and a hammer warrior with the dual snares and kds (through the hammer and bulls strike) looks to me pretty deadly.

sophistry
16-04-2007, 00:46
hehe yaaaa man is this an old sore spot for alot of ppl and back in proffs and even in factions the ussual excuse most pl could come up with as far as to why we dont have a conjure earth was earth shaker warrior with armor of earth conjure earth and aftershock = OMFG OW...and now with all the new sexy stuff nf gave earth the excuse has a 2nd addition that being ebon dust aura + conjure earth on a dervish = OMFGWTFBBQHAX...ooowwwwwwwwwwwwy

maguskwt
16-04-2007, 05:22
I am pretty sure the recent buff to Grasping Earth stands in the way as of now, I am not sure what the exact reasons for it were in the past.

If they do implement it I am putting it on a warrior with grasping earth, could be pretty deadly in GvG.
With just 6 Earth Magic I can perma snare targets, have 2-3 Warriors run in with Crippling Slash, Conjure Earth, Grasping Earth and maybe even a Bull's Strike on one of them and you will be wrecking havoc. Could have two Crippling Slashers and a hammer warrior with the dual snares and kds (through the hammer and bulls strike) looks to me pretty deadly.

exactly the reason...it will be overpowered on warriors...

Lunari
16-04-2007, 13:23
I like the idea of Conjure Earth but...
putting rocks on my sword would not invlict much dmg

Conjure Earth
For 60 seconds, if you're wielding a Earth weapon, your attacks strike for -7...19 Earth damage.

:huh:

TLLOTS
16-04-2007, 14:04
Frankly the most interesting idea I've heard for using Conjure Earth is for Warriors to use it and Obsidian Flame, so they'd smash they hell out of one target and then all turn around and spike another with Obsidian Flame. I'm not inclined to believe it would be overpowered either, as Warriors really don't have the energy or skill slots available for armour buffs. Grasping Earth is a bit more interesting, but not overpowered in combination with Conjure Earth.

Isk8
06-08-2007, 07:53
Just a curious question that has been bouncing around in my mind, how come guildwars never created a conjure earth spell to match all the other conjure element spells. Being the type of player that runs an earth build alot, plus uses conjure on other professions... I kinda irritates me that they never implemented a conjure earth.

Any thoughts?

Should a conjure earth skill be implemented in Gw:En?

mmorpg man
06-08-2007, 08:41
if there was it would be pretty useless as all the other conjure spells have hexes to go with them that triggers an effect when a foe is hit by that type of damage (e.g. conjure flame + mark of rodgort to trigger burning). If an earth conjure spell and an earth damage hex were put in what would the effect be? knockdown can't be used as its so overpowered, and dazed and blind aren't much use especially in PvP.

BunnyLord
06-08-2007, 09:29
That's not the only one, Earth Magic also doesn't have a Mind _____ while fire has 2 of them (Blast and Burn).

I won't mind if they add a Conjure Earth and Mind XXX.

Probably something like:

Mind Crush [E]
5e 1c 5r
Elite Spell. Target foe takes 15...51 earth damage. If you have more energy than target foe, that foe takes an additional 15...51 earth damage and suffers from Daze for 1...8 seconds. This spell causes exhaustion.

Karadoth
06-08-2007, 10:59
According to Izzy, they see earth as mostly defensive and originally there was no earth damage type, the spells did physical damage, thus it didn't have a conjure at the time of the others.

Isk8
06-08-2007, 13:06
According to Izzy, they see earth as mostly defensive and originally there was no earth damage type, the spells did physical damage, thus it didn't have a conjure at the time of the others.

That seems an odd reasoning to me. Water magic is mostly snag / defense. Very little damage in that line, probably less than in the earth line. So doesnt make sense that they would give that line a conjure spell with that reasoning.

if there was it would be pretty useless as all the other conjure spells have hexes to go with them that triggers an effect when a foe is hit by that type of damage (e.g. conjure flame + mark of rodgort to trigger burning). If an earth conjure spell and an earth damage hex were put in what would the effect be? knockdown can't be used as its so overpowered, and dazed and blind aren't much use especially in PvP.

The hexes can be triggered by that ele dmg from spells too, not just from conjure. I wouldnt really link the hex spells with conjures. But since you brought it up... Air magic has 2, Glimmering Mark and Thunderclap... both elite. And water magic has no hex that does anything when hit by cold damage.

Akirai Annuvil
06-08-2007, 13:09
Mind Crush [E]
5e 1c 5r
Elite Form. If you use this skill you transform in Yugi and all your skills become Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards instead. You and all foes go and play a Shadow Realm game, where of course you win. Afterwards you get sued by Toei Animation (and LittleKuriboh).

Sorry seen too much Yu-gi-oh! the Abridged series lately :tongue:

Anyway, I don't really care whether they create a conjure earth version. I like it that Earth has this little special feel.

Mog Wai
06-08-2007, 18:42
Spikes erupt from the earth and hit the target? :laugh:

Ragnarok-
06-08-2007, 18:49
Sorry seen too much Yu-gi-oh! the Abridged series lately :tongue:

Anyway, I don't really care whether they create a conjure earth version. I like it that Earth has this little special feel.

When I saw "Mind Crush" I was thinking of Yami doing it...

I've also always wondered why there's never been a Conjure Earth. It makes Ebon upgrades next-to-useless.

Asbjornsalech
06-08-2007, 19:08
Conjure Earth + Ebon Dust Aura ?

Isk8
06-08-2007, 19:40
Conjure Earth + Ebon Dust Aura ?

Conjure Frost + Grenth's Grasp ?

Brother Guido
06-08-2007, 20:20
and dazed and blind aren't much use especially in PvP.

dazed and blind are incredibly useful in pvp :shocked:

Aiglos Lorien
06-08-2007, 23:05
Well i wasnt going to post until i noticed yu gi oh!!!! yay!!- ah i mean errm

One point that must be made is- whats wrong with completing the series of conjure and mind spells? why should earth be left out? It doesnt seem logical

Well, perhaps each element has a particular theme but that doesnt necessarily mean earth shouldnt have a conjure earth or mind crush (yu gi oh!!) because it is 'defensive'. One could say 'water magic is designed for snaring and just being annoying', but we still get a conjure frost, as well as damage skills such as vapourblade. (ah Isk8 mentioned this, lol when i took the time to read the thread after the yu gi oh excitement- but i'll keep it here, just to reinforce this argument)

Finally, mind crush is what yu gi used, and for that reason alone, these skills should be implemented in the game. Ok being serious now, i think these skills should definitely be added, but realistically anet wont. Its a shame, but true.

Leonora Windleaf
07-08-2007, 00:39
My guess is it could be abused with warriors, imagine having a 12 earth magic warrior with defensive earth spells, + conjure earth to deal a decent amout of damage along with it.... however, this isn't really overpowered so I dunno really...

mmorpg man
07-08-2007, 00:43
If we have a look at the other lines there are certain things that come out from each. fire magic does AoE and causes burning so conjure flame and mark of rodgort fit in with this. air magic causes blindness most of the time which makes glimmering mark and conjure lightning fit in. then If we look at earth magic we can see that most of the spells cause knockdowns and dazed/blindness. therefore it seems logical to have the same effect for a conjure + hex to trigger it. knockdowns are way too powerful to be used and blindness is already taken by air magic.

rentauri
07-08-2007, 02:06
Ive always wanted a Conjure Earth just because. I don't really think it would need to work with hexes to show combat adaptabilities. Earth provides great built-in effects such as its natural defenses and it other affects. If the person runs a hammer + aftershock build (for example) the simple adding of conjure earth adds a couple of points to his dps or even if the warrior is running earth for Stoneflesh, Armor of Earth or whatever. Considering the defensive options that earth naturally can apply its not having a hex to work with is probably a way to innately balance it maybe.

I'm just think of the Jade Brotherhood mages who use earth combat spells, wards and conjure flame and are a pain in the butt, them with a Conjure Earth would be very interesting.

The Stiehl
07-08-2007, 03:47
Mind Crush [E]
5e 1c 5r
Elite Spell. Target foe takes 15...51 earth damage. If you have more energy than target foe, that foe takes an additional 15...51 earth damage and suffers from Daze for 1...8 seconds. This spell causes exhaustion.

No way this is ever being implemented. If you'll notice, daze can only be applied by physical attackers at the moment. And it should stay that way.

and dazed and blind aren't much use especially in PvP.

And that is where you lose all credibility.

Colon
07-08-2007, 06:24
And that is where you lose all credibility.

+1 for that.
Wouldn't mind seeing a decent Earth elite that sees play in PvP, after the Sandstorm nerf.

Aiglos Lorien
07-08-2007, 11:53
Mind Shock already causes knockdown (which really would have been better as mind crush) nevermind... anyway that is balanced by the exhaustion and the whole 'higher energy than target foe' thing. Ideally i believe the mind range of spells needs some sort of reworking- i mean they are ok, but the exhaustion puts me off. (oh excluding mind blast).

Anyway, the other professions (e.g. warriors, rangers and sins- which are the main influencing factor on our conjure line of spells) are always going to be able to synergise an element line with something- for example.. err conjure flame and flame djins haste? bad example i know, well someone will probably think of one eventually...

These earth spells should really have been there from the beginning, its just rather an annoying hole in the earth line- sure we can live without them, its just that feeling of an incomplete series.

Matrim Cauthorn
07-08-2007, 14:39
If there ever would be a conjure earth i figure it would encase your weapon in a diamond-like material giving you +1...10% armor penetration instead of + dmg. I would love a conjure earth skill.

just an idea though.

Ryuko
07-08-2007, 19:04
Actually it's just fun being able to play with Conjure Earth, it adds a bit more diversity to the current playstyles. Then again, the only current skill that synergizes with Conjure Earth would be Ebon Dust Aura. Adding Conjure Earth now wouldn't do much good, aside from ebon upgrades having a partner, but who knows, maybe we'll get to see some more earth combo's in the future.

Dogbert
09-08-2007, 23:34
Why is there no conjure earth?

The main reason we didn't do this is the earth line is a defensive line it wasn't meant to have the extra offense of a conjure, also when we first made conjures earth damage didn't exist we just used blunt damage for all earth spells. ~Izzy @-'---- 18:29, 30 July 2007 (UTC)

Might be introduced later but likely not.

zerdonal
10-08-2007, 04:40
it appears my post dissapeared from this thread.

stone striker + conjure earth

it's really easy to udnerstand,

aptaleonII
10-08-2007, 22:29
It was removed for a reason- earth is a defensive element. Making a spell that does nothing but increase overall damage output it not a good idea.

Xunlai Agent
10-08-2007, 22:44
Too many dangerous synergies and earth is the defensive magic line

Bravo
20-08-2007, 23:22
Conjure flame: My weapon bursts into flames and deals extra damage - cool.
Conjure frost: My weapon freezes and deals extra damage - cool.
Conjure lightning: My weapon turns into a cattle prod and deals extra damage - cool.

Conjure earth: My weapon err.. erm... turns to dirt and explodes on contact ... wait no erm...

What exactly would earth do to deal more damage, a sharp weapon is probably already sufficiently sharp that changing the edge/tip isn't going to do much and hitting your opponent with a big blunt rock instead of a big blunt lump of metal does what exactly?

necrolemming
21-08-2007, 01:51

soulwar
21-08-2007, 06:01
Ebon Dust Aura takes Conjure Earth's place.

And why would you want a Conjure Earth? Stacking EDA and Conjure Earth would be overkill.

PizzaMuffin
21-08-2007, 06:37

Ebon Dust Aura isn't the only spell which goes with a Conjure Earth (evidenced above), but I still think it unlikely. I mean, why would you want to hit someone with a weapon wrapped in rocks when you hit them with flame or slice them with ice or lightning?

maguskwt
21-08-2007, 07:04
Ebon Dust Aura isn't the only spell which goes with a Conjure Earth (evidenced above), but I still think it unlikely. I mean, why would you want to hit someone with a weapon wrapped in rocks when you hit them with flame or slice them with ice or lightning?

:huh: and you can slice something with ice can you? does that mean you can only use your weapon in shiver peaks? :rolleyes:

all these philosophical explanations behind spells can be quite lame...

conjure spells are enchantments!...:rolleyes: they enhance your weapons with magic... they don't transform your weapons... omg...

and above there's another similar post...:sealed:

The Experimentor
21-08-2007, 14:29
Just because Air, Fire and Water get Conjures doesn't necessarily mean Earth should also. It's not like the different Attribute lines of each Profession should be symmetrical.

Rather, they should follow the concepts and ideas they embody. And no matter how weird and convoluted and out there a "philosophical" reasoning can go with these things, GW is a fantasy game after all.

What is Earth Magic about? Defense? Stability? Crushing power?

Should a Conjure Earth spell be made, would it really be used? Elems rarely use attacks, even with Conjure spells, as their primary source of damage. It's just not that effective compared to the other stuff Elems can do, and sees more use among other Professions, notably Rangers and Warriors- and even then, it's rare.

Even with the presence of Ebon Dust Aura and Stone Striker, would it be that useful? Blind is terribly, terribly annoying and effective in both PvE and PvP, but the bottom line of an Elem is damage and I'd rather have ground-breaking spikes and DoT AoE in my skill bar.

While I voted "No" to the poll, I have to admit that an Earth version of the Mind spells would be nice. Completing that cycle is not a bad idea, especially where the Earth Magic Mind spell is very Earth Magic.

mmorpg man
21-08-2007, 23:04
it would also mean the creation of earth weapons (beside the wand, staff and focus). I consider it to be a hex to deal and blunted weapon. this hex is already implemented with stone sheath so thats that. whats the gain of having a blunted weapon?

Heath Laron
26-08-2007, 13:05
It was removed for a reason
Care to indulge me in how one removes that which was never implemented to begin with?

soulwar
26-08-2007, 23:51
Heath, aptaleon might have meant that the idea for including Conjure Earth was removed.

Zalis
30-08-2007, 03:59
I'd say you could make Conjure Earth reduce your damage by x points and you receive x less damage, but that would probably get abused by non-martial wielding classes. (since it would essentially be a clone of Stoneflesh) You know... considering it's a skill for a caster class and all.

The idea sounded great for about 5 seconds before I thought about the already ridiculous E/D tank builds that people oh-so-love. (for some reason)

supermanboy
02-12-2007, 02:19
I mean really? There is a conjure spell for each of the other elements, I am sure there is a reason/exploit for it not being a spell. Thoughts?

Rym Of Melandru
02-12-2007, 02:42
Let's answer a question with a question: Why isn't there a Glowing lightning spell?

...I just realized, that didn't really answer anything >.> Apparently, ANet thought Air was too awesome for a Glowing spell, and Earth...well, Earth has a legitimate reason to not have a Conjure, considering that it already provides quite a bit of defense for melee fighters, they probably didn't want to add offense to it too. A 200 AL tank that's also getting extra damage tacked onto his/her hits is a scary sight, methinks.

The Stiehl
02-12-2007, 03:35
Conjure Earth
Rub salt in opponents wounds. Target foe starts crying and suffers from Rust for 5...17 seconds.

Hinoki
02-12-2007, 05:40
Let's answer a question with a question: Why isn't there a Glowing lightning spell?

...I just realized, that didn't really answer anything >.> Apparently, ANet thought Air was too awesome for a Glowing spell, and Earth...well, Earth has a legitimate reason to not have a Conjure, considering that it already provides quite a bit of defense for melee fighters, they probably didn't want to add offense to it too. A 200 AL tank that's also getting extra damage tacked onto his/her hits is a scary sight, methinks.

Yar. Terratank + CE + sin combos anyone?

Auntie I
02-12-2007, 14:18
Merged with existing thread.

As everyone can see this has been asked before, many times.

Xunlai Agent
02-12-2007, 14:20
This has been asked again and again, I keep seeing the same thread by a different OP every few months. There is no good justification really but Izzy simply stated that Earth is a defensive line and that it doesn't fit with the general idea that Earth Magic is based on. Others have speculated that it could be too powerful with other Skills, I for one think that Grasping Earth Conjure Warrior could be possible and would be pretty broke. A few people suggested that Anet got scared when EviL ran Obsidian Flame Spike on their Warriors in HA and thus have been too scared to add Conjure Earth, I doubt that to be honest. It's just a lore thing and maybe to a certain degree a balance issue. Izzy has stated that in the betas during skill creation, earth damage didn't exist and was actually blunt damage so maybe Anet just never got round to updating it.

EDIT: Check the thread now as it's been merged you can look through it and see what others have said

RadaArashi
04-03-2008, 23:01

Mind Crush! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwvpBt17Iis)

Shiranai
04-03-2008, 23:25
Well, the idea doesn't really make much sense, but I would like to see it.

Conjure Stone?

-_-

BlueHeaven
04-03-2008, 23:51
OMG how old is this thread? The first post is from 2005.
I did learn that Conjures used to remove all your Enchantments, fun facts.

windcaller
05-03-2008, 12:23
*Arise my thread and go hunt these blasphemers*

*yes, master*

*Hurry, soon i will have an army of threads big enough to rule these forums mwahahahahahahaha*

*right away, master*

I know that this is old but I would like to see it as well as I have an ebon sword.I went with yes.

SurviverX
07-03-2008, 22:39
Well, the idea doesn't really make much sense, but I would like to see it.

Conjure Stone?

-_-

We already have conjure stone!!

It's called Stone Sheath, Stone Striker, Stoneflesh Aura, and Armor of Earth. You conjure up stones and encase yourself (or your enemy) in it!

Shiranai
14-03-2008, 00:42
We already have conjure stone!!

It's called Stone Sheath, Stone Striker, Stoneflesh Aura, and Armor of Earth. You conjure up stones and encase yourself (or your enemy) in it!

But I mean Conjuring your weapon :cool: