PDA

View Full Version : Starting an assassin..

silara jorinset
13-09-2007, 11:05
Hiya,
I'm looking at starting an assassin (pve with the occasional ab) and am hoping people can answer a couple of questions and give some advice for starting one..
What do people recommend as suitable insignias and runes? (I've noticed that minor runes are all more expensive at rune trader which suggests all minors are most common).
Whilst I'm aware of the chaining of assassin skills, I have little knowledge of the skills themselves. Any particular skills/chains recommended or to be aware of?

Silverwyng
13-09-2007, 11:16
if you're not yet at level 20, don't sweat the build. play with what skills are given to you. second prof isn't really a big thing either since you can rely on your sin skills to get to lvl20. and cantha has the fastest levelling system in GW so you won't have to kill everything on the map.

lead-off hand-dual is the combo that is followed. of course, there are attacks that look for other conditions to hit, not a lead.

the guide section of this forum has great tips on the assassin. it's always good to read up on the threads to update your info (especially when it comes to skill changes).

have fun and don't get so frustrated about the class. and please don't tank because you're not one!:grin: have fun!

fireflyry
13-09-2007, 11:23
Thats a very broad question.

What campaigns do you have?

I'd recommend checking out the builds here to get an idea of what your after.Runes and insignias tend to be pretty build specific although for my part you can't beat Nightstalker.

+15 Armor while attacking ftw and good luck with your Sin.

NB:shaktiboi's posted build, http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462806, is a great place to start at the moment.

Edit:Also never use Major runes and I would'nt worry about them at all till you get to lvl 20 and get 70AL armor, the health loss is'nt worth it hence the difference in cost and demand.

thor thunder
13-09-2007, 13:24
yeah Sins (assassin) are great spike dmg dealers alot of fun but with low armor they quickly and more offten then not become the meat punching bag for the mobs so as a sin you learn to value your health alot and your energy, i would say play the class a bit find out how you like to work them (they seem simple but they have alot of grey areas were you need to decide, like more energy and equipe those low cost skills or more dmg and wipe on those high dmg energy suckers.)
then when you now the class well i would save up and purchase armor (go for what looks best cause mods on the armor can be changed) and mods that go with your style play.

fireflyry was right on, major/superior runes are not at all usefull for a sin -35/-75 health for +2-3 stat points.. you gata be jokeing..
they can be used but i woudnt recomend it at all.

Shrakzara
13-09-2007, 14:52
Hiya,
I'm looking at starting an assassin (pve with the occasional ab) and am hoping people can answer a couple of questions and give some advice for starting one..
What do people recommend as suitable insignias and runes? (I've noticed that minor runes are all more expensive at rune trader which suggests all minors are most common).
Whilst I'm aware of the chaining of assassin skills, I have little knowledge of the skills themselves. Any particular skills/chains recommended or to be aware of?

Beware of using long chains with long recharge times (if you don't have mobeius strike).

Twisted Fangs is a great dual attack (even if the enemy doesn't bleed). Try for short damaging chains, like HEX+Black Lotus Strike+Death Blossom+Mobeius Strike(e).

Don't overstay your welcome, so if you get targetted by an enemy, escape fast!

Silverwyng
13-09-2007, 15:53
when in doubt, get the hell out. especially when you're fighting afflicted.

yuurei
13-09-2007, 16:14
If you have Nightfall, I suggest getting to Kaineng Center as soon as you get off the starter island. Head over to Kamadan and do the quest for your first 4 heroes. Head to Tyria after and get Olias to get you a Minion Master.

Heroes will help out alot in the long run since you can use heroes & henchies for most of the missions in Cantha.

While your also in Kamadan, you should gain some sunspear rank with the hero mission. When you do, go to the Sunspear Great hall and get Critical Agility from the hero trainer. For PVE, this is one of the most important skills for an assassin.

Lamuness
13-09-2007, 17:08
The best advice for any sin is, fast in, fast out. That's pretty much it. You're squishier than warriors, so you're not a tank. If you can stay there and you're pretty comfortable with it, that's cool too. But just remember to watch your HP as things like Afflicted would explode and eat your life for breakfast.

xenrith sane
13-09-2007, 17:18
the idea on getting heros is good but don't get discuraged if you find it hard getting a party before luxon/kurz areas there most likly the hardest areas for a sin:smiley:
and try to cap flashing blades once your on mainland from guardsman tang for the quest "assist the guards" - near to guy who sells exotic armor and good luck:grin:

silara jorinset
14-09-2007, 13:12
Thanks for the responses, in hindsight I was a bit vague in what I was asking.
This isn't my first play through the campaigns so I know the principles, it was more recommended runes/insignias and decent skills to start with. Looks like I got the answers I needed, thanks for the responses.

Nanashi
15-09-2007, 00:30
Twisted Fangs is a great dual attack (even if the enemy doesn't bleed). Try for short damaging chains, like HEX+Black Lotus Strike+Death Blossom+Mobeius Strike(e).

Note that she/he was starting one... Moebius is a long ways from capture from the starter island. :rolleyes:

spaggage
15-09-2007, 12:30
A good chain for the beginning stages of the game is Jagged Strike, Wild Strike, Death Blossom. For your first elite, I would suggest Flashing Blades, which you can get in The Undercity.