PDA

View Full Version : Condition/Hex Pressure

Psychotic
25-10-2007, 02:24
Was bored and came up with this build. Lack of time has left me with no gvg guild so i'm posting this here.
Any comments are welcome.

Ranger/Any
Barbed Arrows
Pin Down
Broad Head Arrow {E}
Dshot
Natural Stride
Trolls Unguent
Res Sig
Serpents Quickness

Ranger/Dervish
Apply Poison
Ebon Dust Aura {E}
Dshot
Crossfire
Res Sig
Aura of Thorns
Dust Cloak
Signet of Pious Light

Necro/Ele
Rotten Flesh
Animate Shambling Horror (Rip Enchantment/Insidious Parasite)
Rising Bile (or other)
Reapers Mark {E}
Malign Intervention
Enfeeble
Suffering
Glyph of Lesser Energy

Mesmer/Monk
Fevered Dreams {E}
Phantom Pain
Mantra of Persistence
Conjure Nightmare
Auspicious Incantation
Clumsiness
Conjure Phantasm (Frustration/Signet of Humility/Mirror of Disenchantment/Drain Delusions)
Res Chant

Mesmer/Monk
Fevered Dreams {E}
Diversion
Empathy
Shame
Power Spike(/Drain/Leak)
Signet of Humility
Backfire
Res Chant
+2 Monks and a Runner of choice (a runner that can deal damage or conditions would be a plus)
An SF ele(E/N) with Rotten Flesh and a hex or two could probably take the necro's spot.

Idea is probably obvious: use Fevered Dreams along with a 2 rangers who can constantly apply conditions for massive condition pressure.
The rangers are fairly split capable, though you'd probably want to do the second ranger and maybe first mesmer if you need to split. You obviously wouldn't want to split unless the enemy forced you to, however.
AP+EDA+Crossfire for Blind+Poison on target
BA+Pin Down for Bleeding+Cripple
Disease would be pretty much impossible to avoid if used on a person that has fevered dreams on them.
BHA on a fevered dreams target would be AoE dazed. (Serpents Quickness is primarily there for BHA and Pin Down).
One mesmer with illusion hexes (clumsiness for anti-melee, if necessary), one mesmer to shut down the enemy RC. (with the RC shut down, the BHA can make life hell for the LoD).

Biggest downside i see to this build is lack of raw damage... all damage comes from the degen and hexes. Possibly should sub out the necro for a high damage character(war, paragon, dervish, ele), but this restricts the number of hexes you have.

woot im a warrior
25-10-2007, 12:59
The build just won't work, you don't have any melee which will prevent you from killing anything. If you manage to make it to VoD then you will lose anyway because the other teams melee will wipe you.

For a semi decent team this build would be nothing more then annoying, but still easy to beat.

Drec Sutal
25-10-2007, 19:00
Lets take a look at this build...

Hexes:
Reapers mark (degen)
Rising bile (Secondary removal)
Malign Intervention (Secondary removal)
Suffering (degen)
Fevered Dreams (interupt bait/secondary removal)
Phantom Pain (degen)
Conjure Nightmare (degen)
Conjure Phantasm (degen)
Clumsiness (PS/SB)
Backfire (PS/SB)
Diversion (veil)
Shame (veil/ignore)
Empathy (secondary removal)

Of all your hexes, none *really* need to be removed. The 4 that I listed as "secondary" are all the monks need care about - the rest are safe to leave on, really. If the monks can keep on top of at least 3 of those 4 hexes, your hex-pressure is worthless degen. LoD beats it.

As for your condition pressure.... Well, you have barbed arrows, which means the opposing team's monks will have fun wanding your ranger to cut your condition pressure in half. Also, Ebon Dust Aura is a horrible idea here. It'll get stripped faster then you can say "20 second recharge." The BHA ranger is a nice concept, but you seem to have forgotten mending touch *and* you only have one snare in the build. That'd work in RA, but this is GvG - 2 monk teams.

The way hex and condition pressures work is by doing massive damage over time and mitigating attempts to stop it. This is done in a few ways. First of all, every hex or condition pressure team has a frontline to bash on the other team's soft targets all day long. They then *add* to this by spreading degen (for *CONDITION* teams only) or by shuting down the other team (*hex* teams do this). You seem to understand the point of condition pressure (except you forgot signet of humility so an RC monk doesn't shut your entire team down) but you don't seem to understand hex pressure. Degen via hexes *should be ignored.* That's right, ignored. You don't ever remove a conjure, or reaper's mark, or suffering. Those should only *ever* be used as a cover hex for something that *stops the other team from doing its job.* For a warrior, that job is doing damage, so hexes used on melee characters should slow down their attack rate or cause them to miss. You don't have a single hex that does this. For casters, that job is... casting. Hexes should somehow reduce their casting abilities. You have shame and diversion, but that's all. Backfire is a funny skill in RA, but in GvG a single PS or SB works as well as a hex removal.

Also don't forget that degen is *capped* at 10, or 20 damage per second. An LoD monk with a 20/20 set can heal for 9 degen on an entire team. You have no damage beyond degen so the prot monk will pretty much have to heal 8 team members times 2 damage a second = 16 health a second in an ideal case. Well, that plus I guess a few people doing pitiful bow damage or wanding, and any damage empathy or rising bile might do.

Still, 2 monks with 1 skill each (1 with LoD, 1 with gift of health) could pretty much heal through all your damage if the rest of the team was careful (spread out through rising bile, don't attack through empathy or cast through backfire (without PS/SB)).

Psychotic
25-10-2007, 21:27
Just a couple things:
Natural Stride -> Barbed Arrows = you won't get interrupted (likely)
EDA has cover.
Another snare is Aura of Thorns, though, admittedly, that isn't much better.
I haven't forgotten mending touch. However, with minimal effort, Dazed will be spread AoE and covered by 2-6 conditions depending on if the other ranger/necro can help cover it... not to mention, mending touch could get interrupted while dazed fairly easily.
I didn't forget signet of humilty, its very clearly there, you can even choose to put it in twice.
Hexes which increase cast time would be pointless with dazed already there.
Conjure Nightmare is there b/c its 25 energy so it works well as e-management while adding degen.
I stated that i realized there was a lack of raw damage and suggested switching the necro out for a higher damage character(cripslash probably being one of the better options, as it would stronger sources of crippled, bleeding, and deepwound).
I have clumsiness as a form of anti melee hex as well as blind from EDA.
Perhaps a better idea would be
2 Rangers from above
Anti-melee hex necro w/ rotten flesh and Fevered dreams
Anti-caster mesmer for the monks w/ fevered dreams
cripslash/melee pressure of choice.

Ace Bear
26-10-2007, 07:15
Natural Stride -> Barbed Arrows = you won't get interrupted (likely)
Its 50% block. Not 75% or 100%. I have seen and had people get interrupts through Nat Stride, don't get me wrong it helps, but with easily interruptible skills you don't want that 50% chance. A good example of this is alot of trappers in GvG use Whirling D even though Nat Stride can be up more. And its because of the 50% chance compared to what the 75% can do.

And I'm not saying scrap the Nat for WD, Barbed arrows should be gone. Go Melandru Arrows and Concussion shot, it would be at least more useful.

EDA has cover.
Alot of mesmers carry Shatter and Drain Enchantment. Also Hex Eater Vortex Mesmers aren't uncommon so Enchantments are going to be stripped with all the hexes on people.

Another snare is Aura of Thorns, though, admittedly, that isn't much better.
Ok take your hand and mouse. Zoom out the screen until your pinky is about half of the character's height. Now take your pointer and middle finger and spread them out as far as they can go. Just slightly within that is Nearby(Note: Assuming you have similar hand size). Do not take AoT.

I haven't forgotten mending touch. However, with minimal effort, Dazed will be spread AoE and covered by 2-6 conditions depending on if the other ranger/necro can help cover it... not to mention, mending touch could get interrupted while dazed fairly easily.
I thought Fevered Dreams was for Foes only. It says that in the skill description. So what are you talking about with Daze on your Rangers?

2 Rangers from above
Anti-melee hex necro w/ rotten flesh and Fevered dreams
Anti-caster mesmer for the monks w/ fevered dreams
cripslash/melee pressure of choice.
Crip is good, Rangers need some work but they are good for the idea. Get rid of the Necro like you said but also get rid of the Phantom Pain Mesmer. Its useless really and some kind of melee would increase your dps even more. That mesmer that is left needs a new elite(maybe something with more support for the Melee classes like Hex Eater Vortex, or something to help on the spike, although HeV helps with that spike as well).

Play this build in the low 5000 and you might win. Don't play much higher though.

David Holtzman
26-10-2007, 08:18
Hexes or Condies, pick one or the other. No point in two avenues for doing the exact same thing. And get some physicals in there. Damage is a pretty nice thing to have.

glorentson
13-11-2007, 03:32
Hexes or Condies, pick one or the other. No point in two avenues for doing the exact same thing. And get some physicals in there. Damage is a pretty nice thing to have.

Agreed, Pick one or the other.