PDA

View Full Version : The Coronation of Queen Salma

Edwinna Elbert
28-10-2007, 22:47
Since we know that she does eventually become queen (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Movement_of_the_World), I think it would be a fantastic in-game event to see her coronation some time next year.

Many events stated in the lore for GW2 seem like thy'll just happen between the games, but in the wind-down of GW1 over the next few years, some of them actually happening would be a great bridge.

I recall Gaile mentioning that while development of GW2 progresses there will still be an events team working on the events from GW1 (Halloween, Wintersday, etc.), but adding a few new events would be very nice is they have the time :)

Thoughts?

Karn the Betrayer
28-10-2007, 23:35
reading that, if Sunspears coulld come back in GW2 I'd be on eof the dark sunspears idf we could choose sides....

Karuro
28-10-2007, 23:43
reading that, if Sunspears coulld come back in GW2 I'd be on eof the dark sunspears idf we could choose sides....
Now let's not bring another thread to a locking.
The crowning of the new Krytan Queen would be interesting as an in-game event. It is one of the few events our characters actually still witness in their lifespan. Would be a nice surprise :)

auserator
29-10-2007, 04:38
I think it would be a fantastic mini-bridge between GW and GW2. Although since Anet probably wouldn't want to muck with Prophecy's timeline i think it would great if this was part of the next bonus mission pack:

It could be a mission like 'Defend the Queen as she tries to reach her Coronation!' along with two or three other missions that take place in-between time periods. Just like this current mission pack deals with time periods not covered in the game, but mentioned in the lore.

- I'm hoping there's a "I Know My History" title in it ;)

aus

Jair of the Forest
29-10-2007, 06:25
I think it would be a fantastic mini-bridge between GW and GW2. Although since Anet probably wouldn't want to muck with Prophecy's timeline i think it would great if this was part of the next bonus mission pack:

It could be a mission like 'Defend the Queen as she tries to reach her Coronation!' along with two or three other missions that take place in-between time periods. Just like this current mission pack deals with time periods not covered in the game, but mentioned in the lore.

- I'm hoping there's a "I Know My History" title in it ;)

aus

Aye, a mission with the Shining Blade versus the White Mantle and [perhaps] the last Mursaat, to put the real Queen of Kryta on her throne [requires Livia].
Back again..like in the old days, beating up White Mantle in the Shiverpeaks and the Jungle not knowing that you were actually killing the 'sort-a' good guys.

Karn the Betrayer
29-10-2007, 07:57
maybe we can see Queen Salma now cause the white mantle has been pretty much ownzed

ANewMachine
31-10-2007, 02:56
Ree Soesbee is writing for GW2? *thinks back to Hidden Emperor, and shudders* I fear for the comprehensibility of future plots... any L5R fans with me on that one?

Also, I thought that quest line regarding Salma was the best in Prophecies, as it wasn't 100% necessary, but it made me feel like I was actually helping people on my own initiative rather than being led around by the nose. Anything to further that, I'd love.

Skyy High
31-10-2007, 06:05
I believe you need to read that page again:

Although various factions restored the Krytan throne to its rightful ruler, a descendant of Queen Salma...
Bold is mine. The article says that the current ruler is a descendant of Queen Salma; no where does it say that she actually becomes the Queen. It could simply be a title given posthumously by royalists, so the royal lineage appears unbroken in the history books (just a minor hiccough).

rex silverbane
31-10-2007, 18:10
I believe you need to read that page again:

Bold is mine. The article says that the current ruler is a descendant of Queen Salma; no where does it say that she actually becomes the Queen. It could simply be a title given posthumously by royalists, so the royal lineage appears unbroken in the history books (just a minor hiccough).

so it doesnt say QUEEN salma was the queen

Troal
01-11-2007, 22:37
It could simply be a title given posthumously by royalists, so the royal lineage appears unbroken in the history books (just a minor hiccough).

No one in history, as far as I can recall, has ever been retroactively crowned a Queen (or otherwise) without actually having been the queen. They'd have called Salma something else if she hadn't been queen, like 'the Queen Mother' for example.

Skyy High
02-11-2007, 05:37
No one in history, as far as I can recall, has ever been retroactively crowned a Queen (or otherwise) without actually having been the queen. They'd have called Salma something else if she hadn't been queen, like 'the Queen Mother' for example.
Must they?

She wasn't on the thrown, and for all we know she never gets the thrown, but royalists who support her lineage would want to obscure that fact, and claim that she ALWAYS was the Queen (glossing over the fact that no one in Kryta actually believed her to be at the time). Makes perfect sense that they would call the dead mother/grandmother/whatever of the current king/queen a Queen, to solidify their claim.

Feannag
02-11-2007, 07:39
I could see the Coronation being used in another Bonus Mission Pack, possibly with completing the Krytan arc of Prophecies as a requirement.
I'm all for having it as a regular ingame event, but it could be confusing to a lot of people, particularly newer players.