PDA

View Full Version : Done PvE, Now for some real fun in AB

LordStazer
20-11-2007, 15:56
Hi All

Been playing for about 14 months, have really enjoyed the PvE side and have done all i want to, so with this side complete I turned to AB so i could work on my Kurzick titles.

Off I went created a PvP char Ranger actually, looked around at builds and decided to have a go at touching. Well the fun rolled in and dam its soo much fun. However after a day i started getting a lot of abuse off other players and not just Luxons either!

Why is the PvP side so abusive, why am I a newb because i enjoy the toucher build???

Please forgive my innocense but is PvP that elite??? Everytime i kill a warrior or ranger or assassin i get called a F***ing newb toucher. If the build is that bad why dont ANet ban it or render it useless?

Finally after all the abuse i created a sin, looked on pvx wiki, got a build I liked and dived in. Guess what, it worked very well and it was not soon before the abuse began again, with newb wiki build.

I have come to the conclusion that you have to be a major hardcore player with uber abilities to create unique builds in order to not suffer abuse in the PvP world. Its a dam shame as i love both builds but I am not going to suffer such abuse every time i wanna have fun.

I will always play the PvE side and enjoy it but the PvP side is so full of abuse I dread to think what the GvG and TA are like. Anyone else sufferd this or is it just newbie old me. :embarassed:

Larqh
20-11-2007, 16:02
Welcome to the human race? If your build is working, then you are doing nothing wrong. I've gotten similar flack in PVE for playing my own build which worked just fine, but wasn't a standard cookiecutter, so I was fussed at.

People are just mean sometimes...

KyppDuron
20-11-2007, 16:06
Well, the problem is the build you chose, toucher is seen as a gimmick, and so (dumb)people resent it. Change to R/P or maybe burning arrow and you'll be ignored.

personally I'd stick with the toucher and turn of chat and set myself to DnD.
(edit, i didn't read your whole post xD)

For the assassin you shouldn't have used a wiki build. people recognize them right off the bat because every arena sin uses the same two builds. Think of your own build, or change up the one you have and there will be less yelling. Although, sins do get a large percentage of the hate so go with my previous suggestion and turn off chat.

Mehtis_
20-11-2007, 16:08
Just don't run Toucher or some very gimmic PvXbuild and you'll be okay. With not being Mending-wammo either.

Ate of DK
20-11-2007, 16:11
turn of chat and set myself to DnD.

Best thing you can do in AB and RA. Nothing but noobs and idiots that flame around and destroy your fun-time.

LordStazer
20-11-2007, 16:12
ROFL

Thanks all for the advice, trouble is i love the 2 builds, I guess its turn off all chat then, good advice.

Lyger
20-11-2007, 16:16
Be wary - some people cannot take losing very well. In some cases, no matter what build you run, if you beat someone with it be prepared for them to trash talk you. And then try and seek you out for a 1 vs 1. If the trash talk bothers you over-much, do as others have suggested and turn off all chat. Or if you're running an annoyance class such as a Mesmer, take the grief as a compliment that your build has achieved it's aim. Much more fun that way. :wink:

bellissima
20-11-2007, 16:20
I can only see this turning into same old flame fest elitism topic in the CDF. Moving it to AB forums instead.

Honestly, RA/AB are full of people that will abuse you no matter what build you kill them with. However, the two builds you mentioned are particularly stigmatized because they are easy to run (select target, activate skills in order, rinse, repeat) but can still reap results against inexperienced players.

LordStazer
20-11-2007, 16:23
Hi

Apologies I can see why you moved the post, just one more point is all the verbal abuse acceptable to ANet and other players, because if I had reported all the abuse I got I can see I would have been banned for abusing the reporting system? Where does everyone stand on this.

raspberry jam
20-11-2007, 16:25
Hi

Apologies I can see why you moved the post, just one more point is all the verbal abuse acceptable to ANet and other players, because if I had reported all the abuse I got I can see I would have been banned for abusing the reporting system? Where does everyone stand on this.Verbal abuse against anyone who plays a toucher is ok.

liamSlayer
20-11-2007, 16:30
LordStazer, just turn your chat of, if you enjoy useing the build, use it, no one can MAKE you not use it.

I my self love the toucher build, its a gimmic build, but i dont care, since i enjoy it.

If people are verbal abusing you, you have the right to report them, f*** anet.....verbal abuse is BULLING and is not allowed.......

*sorry mods, just alittle pead off*

KyppDuron
20-11-2007, 16:41
Hi

Apologies I can see why you moved the post, just one more point is all the verbal abuse acceptable to ANet and other players, because if I had reported all the abuse I got I can see I would have been banned for abusing the reporting system? Where does everyone stand on this.

You can use it, like 50 times a day i think. So as long as there is some kind of abuse going on when you reported it, it should be fine.

Verbal abuse against anyone who plays a toucher is ok.

yes, of course it is. :rolleyes:

Mister Smartypants
20-11-2007, 16:41
Hi

I don't think the verbal abuse is acceptable and I don't take part in it myself, but unless it gets to where the abuse also falls foul of another EULA rule such as blatant racism then I don't bother reporting it - mainly because I can't see ANet acting on reports that amount to "he called me a noob!". I think if they did start banning people for repeatedly calling someone a noob in local and on whisper, there'd be naff all players left, cos it seems like *everyone* is at it.

David Holtzman and others have offered this advice before: say "gl hf" at the start of a match, and "gg" at the end regardless of win or loss, and don't say anything else on local. It works for me.

Into The Rift
20-11-2007, 16:46
As a mostly PVEer myself, I find it sad to see you fall in the stereotypical definition of how PVEers are portrayed by PVPers -- that after 14 months playing the game, the best Ranger build you could come up with is a toucher. If anything, the Costume Brawl should have shown you a decent PVP Ranger build.

It's a bad build because good players know how to defeat you and it requires little to no skill to play. Your contribution as a team player is also very low.

That said, I don't like the rampant verbal abuse in those areas, but it a reality of the internet (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19) (not that it justifies it in the least...)

Vela
20-11-2007, 17:00
PvP is always verbose (if that's the right word to choose). If you beat someone, you are hurting that person's ego and if you lose to someone, you are boosting that person's ego.

Now, along with that simple fact a variety of expressions come to life and verbal abuse is one of them. And as you said you are new, don't try to make builds but play the time-proven builds that you are currently playing. You will enjoy it more and will get better as time goes by.

However, in AB your prime objective is to cap shrines and, if possible, hold. So, your targets are mainly the NPCs protecting the shrines for the opposite team. And your secondary targets are other players who are coming in between you(or your team) and the NPCs. So, killing random targets may not help at all. Hence, that may add to the abuse as well.

Lytel
20-11-2007, 17:41
is all the verbal abuse acceptable to ANet and other players, because if I had reported all the abuse I got I can see I would have been banned for abusing the reporting system? Where does everyone stand on this.
A long time ago I played a toucher and someone responded very offensively to it. I reported him (with screenshots and time when it happened) and he was banned. But we are talking nasty stuff here, he was PMing me telling me I should get cancer, my family should die, very bad language, and worse things.

But it's common for people in PvP to be bad losers, bad winners, bad sportsmanship, and offensive etc. Different people have different levels of what they consider verbal abuse. You are calling it "abuse", but what exactly are we talking about here? Was someone just calling you a noob? Either turn off the chat, or learn to ignore it, it's very common for this kind of trash talk in PvP.

Akirai Annuvil
20-11-2007, 20:05
As a mostly PVEer myself, I find it sad to see you fall in the stereotypical definition of how PVEers are portrayed by PVPers -- that after 14 months playing the game, the best Ranger build you could come up with is a toucher. If anything, the Costume Brawl should have shown you a decent PVP Ranger build.

It's a bad build because good players know how to defeat you and it requires little to no skill to play. Your contribution as a team player is also very low.

That said, I don't like the rampant verbal abuse in those areas, but it a reality of the internet (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19) (not that it justifies it in the least...)

Pretty much /signed. Run CripShot, BA or Magebane in AB on a Ranger. Touchers are incredibly bad.

***removed personal comment

Kendel
21-11-2007, 00:37
I may play Toucher in AB tomorrow... its always great fun getting people so upset that they have to start ranting in local and chasing after you.

Oh the irony of running after the Toucher to kill him because he's a noob running a noob build when he effectively takes you out the game because of your lust petty vengeance.

Amadei
21-11-2007, 07:51

/signed one hundred times over. Also note you won't learn anything about playing PVP as a toucher, because the build pretty much relies on your opponents being idiots. Cripshot or BA are fun to play as well and they might actually teach you a thing or two about how2pvp.

Ranger Nietzsche
21-11-2007, 08:25
Don't turn this into a Touchers are good/bad debate please.

Zatsume
21-11-2007, 09:45
to OP: Funny that u chose just those classes and builds... if u look at what professions/builds are mostly disliked, thread is found in these forums, ull notice that assasins are the most by far and touchers got quite many mentions in there as well :laugh:

Edit: I would also advice not to bother about all the flame u get... To me persons who run around the pvp areas calling others n00b just show how immature they are...

Kendel
21-11-2007, 16:28
You can't class AB as real PvP. Nor RA.

In real PvP Assassins aren't stupid enough to kill themselves by just attacking frantically through Insideous Parasite.
In real PvP Warriors don't whine in local that there opponent is a noob runner for kiting or keeping his distance.
In real PvP people don't walk willingly into traps they SAW been put down.
In real PvP people switch targets after the target they're attacking has been protted up to the eyeballs.
In real PvP your allies don't run into an MM and die frequently because they have the IQ of a cabbage and wonder why his army gets bigger and bigger.
In real PvP people don't continually try to kill something that counters them in almost every way and die repeatadly.

Please define good for the team in that case. As AB goes i define it as anything that helps you win. Just because you don't want to admit your part of that extremely prejudiced group of people who insult any toucher at the mere sight of it over what he achieves doesn't make you any less right. Touchers are met with such hostility from your opponents you can almost guarantee bringing 1 will probably get a few people who can't actually beat it, trying to kill it repeatadly.

Say the toucher is a waste of a Ranger all you want... that 1 toucher can usually drag several people of the other team with it in an attempt to kill the 'noob', taking them completely out the game.

A real Ranger can do something similar... i'm not denying that. But enough with these whiney rantings about Touchers.

Ryuujinx
22-11-2007, 01:42
Don't turn this into a Touchers are good/bad debate please.

Fine, But I'm at least going to link to This Epic Thread. (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439141)

chirthain
22-11-2007, 15:58
long post

It's very simple; people don't like players who use someone else's build to play, I don't like them either, to be honest. Afcourse there's always someone who uses the same build as you or something that looks like it; but just copy-ing your build from wiki isn't really fun..

Touchers are noobs, the build is very risky and can easily be killed, to much counters and so damn easy to play that I don't understand why people actually play it. (Pressing 4, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 3 isn't really a challenge, is it?)

The nice thing about GuildWars is you can create your own build; picking skills etc. Half of the time, I play with some new build and experiment with it. And if you found a build that works, you can enjoy playing with it..

Just getting a build from tha interwebz shows you're unable to make one of yourself..

You can't class AB as real PvP. Nor RA.
There's no "real" PvP. Nor there is any "unreal/fake" PvP. It's always the same who claim that.

to OP: Funny that u chose just those classes and builds... if u look at what professions/builds are mostly disliked, thread is found in these forums, ull notice that assasins are the most by far and touchers got quite many mentions in there as well
Hehe, yeah :P

I may play Toucher in AB tomorrow... its always great fun getting people so upset that they have to start ranting in local and chasing after you.
... I'm not going to waste my time commenting on this.

Oh the irony of running after the Toucher to kill him because he's a noob running a noob build when he effectively takes you out the game because of your lust petty vengeance.
Oh, yeah. He wastes his time chasing you, while you are unable to cap or fight. What's the point? It's 11 vs 11 then.

Lyger
23-11-2007, 11:12
Fine, But I'm at least going to link to This Epic Thread. (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439141)

I can't believe I just wasted my time to read that all the way through. :huh: That's a half hour of my life I'll never get back. :cry:

Antillio
23-11-2007, 22:19
first of al play w/e the hell you like if its taken right off the batt of wiki or created by yours truly it does not matter. 99% of gw runs cookie cutter material while only 10% dares to admit they use it.

in gvg u see ppl running the same skills all over, why is that u might ask its fairly simple in gw some skills really outshine others and when a build works it works thats how simple it is, forget if its unoriginal cause who cares.

i agree very much with kendal that a single toucher or ele earth tank can be very helpfull in AB because the very ppl that call ya noobs run around the entire map trying to kill you and it's always more then 1.

( these are not facts, this is all based on my own opionion offcourse xD )

Keron
24-11-2007, 23:32
I find it amusing when I read the topic name, the first post and then the last few pages are always people bashing each other. I haven't used a touch ranger in AB since factions came out and it was boring and pathetic. The joy to builds is creating your own bar and testing it; no matter what profession.

Kendel
25-11-2007, 02:02
I find it amusing when I read the topic name, the first post and then the last few pages are always people bashing each other. I haven't used a touch ranger in AB since factions came out and it was boring and pathetic. To me The joy to builds is creating your own bar and testing it; no matter what profession.

Corrected. I'm not saying it isn't fun... but somehow i doubt everyone feels the same way.

Ranger Nietzsche
25-11-2007, 02:33
I don't understand why we're not allowed to bash touchers here?

because that's not what this thread is for.

Getting back on topic now.

PvP is loud and full of yelling, but at least try to stop and think WHY people yell at you. If people hate your build because you are killing them, ignore them. If people on YOUR TEAM hate your build because they think you aren't contributing enough, stop and consider those comments.

Kendel
27-11-2007, 00:34
Oh come on... most hate towards a Touch Ranger comes from the fact they were incredibly common in AB at 1 time and use to chase alot of people around. The fact is they do contribute. Just because some people refuse to believe it doesn't make it false.

Ryuujinx
27-11-2007, 05:24
Oh come on... most hate towards a Touch Ranger comes from the fact they were incredibly common in AB at 1 time and use to chase alot of people around. The fact is they do contribute. Just because some people refuse to believe it doesn't make it false.

I'm sorry, but the DPS of a warrior auto-attacking is not contributing unless they ahve some damned good utility. Which the TR has in the form of... um.. THROW DIRT!

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4648565&postcount=85

Some Dude
30-11-2007, 00:42
Touch rangers are good and provide far more DPS than warriors, or any class in the game for that matter. All hail the touch ranger.