PDA

View Full Version : The Spinoff Touch Ranger Thread

raspberry jam
21-11-2007, 16:14
Off I went created a PvP char Ranger actually, looked around at builds and decided to have a go at touching. Well the fun rolled in and dam its soo much fun. However after a day i started getting a lot of abuse off other players and not just Luxons either!

Why is the PvP side so abusive, why am I a newb because i enjoy the toucher build???You were abused by the opposition because you run a skill-less 12123kill build. You managed to kill some of them, true, but you would have done more if you ran a proper build, which would also give you the opportunity to learn about PvP.

You were abused by your own team because you use a build that is subpar for killing and even worse for capping. Since capping is usually the best way to win AB, running that build is bad for the team, remember in PvP (and in GW in general) it's the team that wins, not you.

raspberry jam
22-11-2007, 00:51
In real PvP Warriors don't whine in local that there opponent is a noob runner for kiting or keeping his distance.I've seen that happen in top level GvG matches lol

Please define good for the team in that case. As AB goes i define it as anything that helps you win. Just because you don't want to admit your part of that extremely prejudiced group of people who insult any toucher at the mere sight of it over what he achieves doesn't make you any less right. Touchers are met with such hostility from your opponents you can almost guarantee bringing 1 will probably get a few people who can't actually beat it, trying to kill it repeatadly.

Say the toucher is a waste of a Ranger all you want... that 1 toucher can usually drag several people of the other team with it in an attempt to kill the 'noob', taking them completely out the game.*cough* I hereby admit that I am part of that extremely prejudiced group of people who insult a toucher when he thinks that dragging one of the enemies out of the fight while not realizing that he himself is also out of the fight.
Not to mention that if no one happens to be stupid enough to fall for the bait, you are still out of the match, but the enemy isn't.

A real Ranger can do something similar... i'm not denying that. But enough with these whiney rantings about Touchers.When you can show me how you can solo cap any shrine on the map with a toucher build, I'll respect your opinion. Most quality ranger builds can do that. They can also kill (as opposed to "drag out of the match") other players.

Kendel
23-11-2007, 19:37
I've seen that happen in top level GvG matches lol

The difference is they probably weren't been deadly serious... the ones in AB tend to actually believe people should stay still.

cough* I hereby admit that I am part of that extremely prejudiced group of people who insult a toucher when he thinks that dragging one of the enemies out of the fight while not realizing that he himself is also out of the fight.
Not to mention that if no one happens to be stupid enough to fall for the bait, you are still out of the match, but the enemy isn't.

I didn't say 1... i said several. I was just in with a modified Toucher and after eventually becoming vastly outnumbered because the rest of the team weren't capping... so i fled... and 3 people followed me halfway around the map... and once they were safely away from there monk i stopped and killed all 3 (and not once did they try and flee). 1 player succesfully took 3 people out of the game... it didn't matter in the end because we lost thanks to useless allies that weren't capping.

When you can show me how you can solo cap any shrine on the map with a toucher build, I'll respect your opinion. Most quality ranger builds can do that. They can also kill (as opposed to "drag out of the match") other players.

Do you have to be able to cap them all? I'm not stupid enough to try capping shrines i can't survive against, ie the Ele and Warrior shrines. The rest are doable. If i wanted to play for purely capping i would bring my E/A Sins Promise capper. And stop with this bull**** that the toucher does nothing but drags the match out. At the end of the day its still a prot ignoring 65 damage a cast that doubles as healing to keep you alive. So instead of spending my time casting Troll Unguent for 3 seconds i can just keep on attacking. It does not just 'drag the match out'. And even if it does i still think detaining a full team who fail to kill you in a 1vs4 situation is still a commendable act in AB. Why do you think E/Ds were so powerful when a horde of idiots would just wail on them for ages...?

@chirthain - Read it next time, k?

chirthain
23-11-2007, 20:03
@chirthain - Read it next time, k?

"Out the game".. I thought you meant "out of the fight(=game). If you meant "kill", then just say "kill", if you please.

But I thought someone here asked people not to whine about touchers, so I suggest you don't do that then.

Kendel
23-11-2007, 22:50
"Out the game".. I thought you meant "out of the fight(=game). If you meant "kill", then just say "kill", if you please.

Does it matter what the outcome is? If i get 3 people to follow me into some remote corner of the map no matter who kills who i've still stopped them doing something useful.

Does it matter if the Ele/Dervish Terra Tank capped anything? I sometimes saw them with 6 people attacking it non-stop, doing no damage to them. Whether the tank killed those people or not it stops those 6 people capping anything else.

Ryuujinx
24-11-2007, 12:45
I can't believe I just wasted my time to read that all the way through. :huh: That's a half hour of my life I'll never get back. :cry:

I can't believe I wasted 3 months of my life replying to it and posting why the TR was bad.

raspberry jam
24-11-2007, 14:10
I didn't say 1... i said several. I was just in with a modified Toucher and after eventually becoming vastly outnumbered because the rest of the team weren't capping... so i fled... and 3 people followed me halfway around the map... and once they were safely away from there monk i stopped and killed all 3 (and not once did they try and flee). 1 player succesfully took 3 people out of the game... it didn't matter in the end because we lost thanks to useless allies that weren't capping."I was totally and completely useless to my team and we lost and that was everyone else's fault."

Hey nice logic there Kendel, can I borrow it the next time I try to prove that the earth is flat?

Do you have to be able to cap them all?Well, it sure beats not being able to.

Why do you think E/Ds were so powerful when a horde of idiots would just wail on them for ages...?Next up: Kendel says that 1234kill sins are talented players because they can kill so fast.

shawn
24-11-2007, 14:31
I don't understand why we're not allowed to bash touchers here? Is it because it's gwo and it would be mean to insult the most sacred of scrub builds? Because seriously, touchers are terrible, and everyone with an ounce of skill at the game knows it. It's a build that counts on other people being retarded, and while you're bound to run into a few people who play like they're having an epileptic seizure at the keyboard, you'd be able to kill them if you got good at the game and played a build that wasn't absolute ****, too.

And I always find it funny how people brag about managing to kill some stupid low number of people. I mean, THREE. WOW. Last time I ABed was with Farin and Valk, and they both had burning arrow rangers, I played monk, and we picked up some random ele who sucked and ran off all the time. Pretty sure we got at least 40 kills, and managed to cap every shrine we came to. And yet touchers are cool because you can waste five minutes running away and killing three failures? Ooookay..

I guess you could just try to improve on the touchers ability to shut down other people.. ..Oh, that's right. They don't have any shutdown. Just some mediocre damage.. Damn.

Kendel
24-11-2007, 14:47
"I was totally and completely useless to my team and we lost and that was everyone else's fault."

Hey nice logic there Kendel, can I borrow it the next time I try to prove that the earth is flat?

Funny, i don't remember saying that. Because i distinctly remember joining the AB with pugs... oh and getting teamed up with 8 other pugs... none of whom were bothering to cap. But i guess thats solely to touchers fault... you keep believing that if it makes you feel better.

Well, it sure beats not being able to.

No ****? You came up with that all by yourself? Now do you care to tell me why every single build taken into AB should be capable of solo capping all shrines by itself?

Shawn, why have you followed me here to troll some more?

Edit: Oh and the toucher has Distract/Savage on its bar. So how about you go sit in a corner and cry yourself to sleep.

raspberry jam
24-11-2007, 16:51
Funny, i don't remember saying that. Because i distinctly remember joining the AB with pugs... oh and getting teamed up with 8 other pugs... none of whom were bothering to cap. But i guess thats solely to touchers fault... you keep believing that if it makes you feel better.If you didn't cap anything yourself, you can hardly blame anyone else for not capping. You might have lost because of your teammates, but you hardly did anything to work towards victory yourself.

No ****? You came up with that all by yourself? Now do you care to tell me why every single build taken into AB should be capable of solo capping all shrines by itself?I never said every single build would need to be capable of that, monks are good to have. Now do you care to tell me why you want to bring a build that does nothing but nerf yourself?

chirthain
24-11-2007, 16:52
Does it matter what the outcome is? If i get 3 people to follow me into some remote corner of the map no matter who kills who i've still stopped them doing something useful.

Does it matter if the Ele/Dervish Terra Tank capped anything? I sometimes saw them with 6 people attacking it non-stop, doing no damage to them. Whether the tank killed those people or not it stops those 6 people capping anything else.

I hardly ever see more than 1 player chasing a toucher. But that's just me.

Edit: Oh and the toucher has Distract/Savage on its bar. So how about you go sit in a corner and cry yourself to sleep.

And you accuse someone else for trolling? :shocked:

I don't understand why we're not allowed to bash touchers here? Is it because it's gwo and it would be mean to insult the most sacred of scrub builds?

We're not allowed to bash touchers here because a mod said so. That's the way it works on forums.

Kendel
24-11-2007, 21:52
If you didn't cap anything yourself, you can hardly blame anyone else for not capping. You might have lost because of your teammates, but you hardly did anything to work towards victory yourself.

Huh? When exactly did i say i hadn't capped anything? I remember capping the Ranger shrine... before a team of Luxons from the res shrine decided to come and stop me. Oh damn, i forgot that a Ranger is actually the most overpowered thing in the game, if he was using the all powerful bow he would've killed the whole team in 1 attack /sarcasm.

I never said every single build would need to be capable of that, monks are good to have. Now do you care to tell me why you want to bring a build that does nothing but nerf yourself?

Can you tell me why i should bother replying to you after this post? And no, your not bringing up good points because all of them wouldn't have been said if you could actually read.

raspberry jam
25-11-2007, 02:40
Huh? When exactly did i say i hadn't capped anything? I remember capping the Ranger shrine... before a team of Luxons from the res shrine decided to come and stop me. Oh damn, i forgot that a Ranger is actually the most overpowered thing in the game, if he was using the all powerful bow he would've killed the whole team in 1 attack /sarcasm.I soloed 5 ppl as a BA ranger once. Granted, it was a running battle, but it's possible. It's AB after all. :laugh:

Can you tell me why i should bother replying to you after this post? And no, your not bringing up good points because all of them wouldn't have been said if you could actually read.Because you would show that you had any kind of point whatsoever. Which you don't, which in turn is why you didn't bother to reply to my actually quite existing and perfectly good point.

BabyJ
25-11-2007, 04:48
Touch rangers suck, plain and simple. You can come up with all the excuses you want but in the end it's still a noob build.

Ryuujinx
25-11-2007, 04:53
New touch ranger thread, re-link: EPIC THREAD (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439141)

Zelphor Cholera
25-11-2007, 17:21
i happen to use the touch ranger quite often,in most cases the touch rangers you find are noobs calling ppl out to 1vs1,but i find the build quite useful in capping as a team effort as the build can easily wipe out opposing teams trying to stop your cap.

Akirai Annuvil
25-11-2007, 18:38
Touchers are bad, not to mention unsanitary.

Soulstorm
26-11-2007, 01:21
New touch ranger thread, re-link: EPIC THREAD (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439141)

Whoah; epic troll, if anything. :shocked:

Ranger Nietzsche
27-11-2007, 04:52
yes that thread was epic-fail.

the only reason I didn't straight-out destroy this one is theoretically that thread was about RA and this is about AB.

Black Hatch
20-05-2008, 08:03
Whoah; epic troll, if anything. :shocked:

I cant believe I read all of that thread just now lol.

And I only recently have used the touch ranger build.
Its great at PVE and Alliance Battles against NPCs
(not going to go throught pvp debate route)

The only way I beat the Great Destroyer without frustration was going toucher.

shawn
20-05-2008, 08:36
Pretty epic thread bump there.

But since it's ressed and I'm here...

Shawn, why have you followed me here to troll some more?For future reference, just because someone disagrees with your opinion doesn't make them a troll.
Although I'm sure calling that really helps with your counter-argument.
Oh right - there wasn't one.

[edit] I also find it ****ing hilarious that rexkenely was the one that started the touch ranger tavern thread. Delightfully ironic.

rexkenley
29-05-2008, 21:23
To the OP

Welcome to the brotherhood of the Touch Rangers. Please sit down and have some mead!

Btw the best way to deal with these anti-touch crowd is the dnd.

Enjoy the game!

-----------------------------

[edit] I also find it ****ing hilarious that rexkenely was the one that started the touch ranger tavern thread. Delightfully ironic.

Maybe its because of your numerous posts like this that people think you troll a lot :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

shawn
29-05-2008, 23:25
That's not a troll, that's just pointing out to anyone that hasn't for some reason figured it out yet, that your opinion on pvp related matters is not to be taken remotely serious. If you don't understand the mechanics of gw well enough to understand why a touch ranger is a terrible build at best, then how do you expect your opinions to hold any weight at all?
Unfortunately, you can't.

It's not trolling, it's a fact :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact

Mister Smartypants
30-05-2008, 00:28
I ran a touch ranger build for the first time tonight. I was most disappointed: I didn't get called a noob toucher even once. :cry:

RyuTheSlick
27-08-2008, 18:18
To be completely honest, the toucher build was actually successful when it was first made - way back in early factions. However, a combination of the power creep and people's knowledge of the build now has made it little more than a low damage, no utility, tank.

Keep in mind with how prevalent boon prot was around that time, the toucher build was actually well-adapted because it ignored prots with a steady dps. However, now, there are so many stronger heals to counter the low (though steady) dps and more powerful skills that deal much more damage. It WAS a decent build. However, now, it is outdated.

Running a touch ranger is like running the old air spike with lightning surge, lightning orb, and chain lightning. Sure, you CAN spike with it - but there are so many better alternatives now. The old airspike WAS good. Now it is not.

Simply Kedde
27-08-2008, 22:26
This needed to see the light again exactly why? If some people for some extremely odd reason haven't understood a basic concept of getting facts and adding them to get a logical conclusionout of them, then there's definitely something wrong.
And yes, I know, there is.

Ryuujinx
31-08-2008, 19:22
Hello 2007, I missed you when did you walk in?

Oh. Wait.

Cirian
01-09-2008, 22:02
To be completely honest, the toucher build was actually successful when it was first made - way back in early factions.

It's older than that, it goes back to prophecies. Back then the touches were Vamp, Agony and Plague. I independently created my own variant of it to farm Dunes of Despair, the other 5 skills being Throw Dirt, Troll Unguent, Escape, Dodge and Lighting Reflexes. My inspiration was to create a vampire for PvE, and I hadn't yet met or heard of the PvP variant that I would later know as the "toucher". I still prefer to call them "vampires" :)

I think I first encountered the infamous PvP version first in Team Arenas. This would have been... oh, months after release but well before Factions. The difference to my PvE build is that they would drop Escape and Troll and run OoB (it was just a 10% sac then) and something like Sig of Agony or Life Siphon. Maybe they would run Whirling Defense instead of Lightning Reflexes too. There would be 3 of them with a boon prot monking for them, also running OoB. Ahh, those were the days.

Simply Kedde
02-09-2008, 09:28
How the hell did they get anywhere? As far as I remember people weren't terrible back then. 3 touchers aren't gonna do a lot.

Offatwork
04-09-2008, 12:09
I didn't say 1... i said several.

I can wand the Skale outside of Pre-searing, I guess that makes wanding a pretty sweet build.

Do you have to be able to cap them all? I'm not stupid enough to try capping shrines i can't survive against, ie the Ele and Warrior shrines. The rest are doable. If i wanted to play for purely capping i would bring my E/A Sins Promise capper. So instead of spending my time casting Troll Unguent for 3 seconds i can just keep on attacking.

Actually all the ranger needs is a vampiric flatbow to wipe a shrine out; any shrine. NPC's won't even touch the Ranger. Your E/A might be able to do that too (however you will be attacked), but it certainly can't stand up to interrupts or simple positioning. Stable Ranger builds don't have this problem.