PDA

View Full Version : No Nightfall , Ele still an option in pve?

Mixed
28-02-2008, 15:09
As the tittle says... I dont't own nightfall or gwen , and most Ele build rely on the NF skills\elites , like mind blast or stoneflesh aura...
I already have an warrior and an assassin that i barely use , so i'd like to make an Ele but im havind doubts if it will be effective at anything besides that green farm build. Should I make it ?

Lady of the Keep
28-02-2008, 15:42
You should defiantly make an ele. You don't need nightfall skills to be good, there are plenty of builds that don't rely on nightfall skills. And even if you find a build you want to try that does have a nightfall skill in it you can always substitute that skill for another skill you do have.

Great builds that don't rely on nightfall:
echo nuker
renewal nuker
duel attunment anything
shadow form farming

seamussheridan
28-02-2008, 15:45
dual attunement with rodgorts iinvocation is great fun.

Mixed
28-02-2008, 15:47
Yeah.. think im gonna try... don't have much to do anyways . And i'm so gonna get the stupid survival (1) rank , wich i never got.. <-- yes i'm a total disaster in pve

seamussheridan
28-02-2008, 15:54
Survivor is not that easy, and only the crazy dedicated actually have it. I think the longest I ever went to before I died was level 5, on my paragon.

BlueHeaven
28-02-2008, 16:38
Rodgorts Invocation and Meteor Shower, both Prophecies only skills, but the staple of the PvE Nuker. Options for Elites in Prophecies are not so much damage skills, but support for an ele's already good damage skills:

Glyph of Renewal: will let you cast Meteor Shower every 15 secs (10 recharge + cast time)
Glyph of Energy: Paired with a 25e skill (like Rodgorts Invocation) and an attunement, you will net a gain of energy, letting you spam high energy skills
Elemental Attunement: Paired with another Attunement, lets you spam just about anything without every worrying about energy.

NF has Searing Flames (bah), Savanah Heat (good), and . . . well they have Sand storm, but that got nerfed, but still reasonably good. None of which would hinder an Ele if the didn't have them.

Alaris
28-02-2008, 16:46
I have LS on two characters now (P & R), and let me tell you, it's a different play style altogether. Good luck with that. There's a guide on the wiki that could be of some help...

As for being effective without NF, there's plenty of ways. I'm not an ele expert, but the advice above sounded good.

The only real complication I foresee is that some PUGs will be reticent to team up with you if you don't bring those skills. That would be unfortunate... But the good side is that you'll learn to play other styles too.

grimeyes
28-02-2008, 17:21
Well, since everyone else has suggested dual attunement Rodgort's Invocation, I'd also like to suggest for you to try dual attunement air. Use skills like Lightning Hammer, Lightning orb, Enervating Charge and Shell Shock.

Lytel
28-02-2008, 18:39
Survivor is not that easy, and only the crazy dedicated actually have it. I think the longest I ever went to before I died was level 5, on my paragon.
Actually it is easy, the first rank anyway. Level 20 is not hard to reach, and the enemies up to level 20 are not a major threat. For a paragon it's pretty much guaranteed without trying, you have great armour and attack at range. After the first rank it's really more of a grind, and getting lucky with lag. How hard and how much grind depends on how much of a risk you are willing to take. If you wanted you could do the brawling quest which is impossible to die in (unless you lag out). But it's very repetitive.

Tyra Top Model
28-02-2008, 18:48
From your post I assume you have Factions.

Factions was my first GW campaign and I played it all the way through before buying all the rest of the campaigns, which I purchased all at once and went all out crazy.

When I created my Ele I made a pact with myself that I would never take her Fire so I would force myself to look at the other elements.

I easily created builds around these Factions-only elites:

Elemental Attunement (core)
Lightning Surge
Unsteady Ground (still one of my favorites)
Shatterstone

Akirai Annuvil
28-02-2008, 19:16
This was too obvious.

The answer is yes.

Alaris
28-02-2008, 19:40
Actually it is easy, the first rank anyway. Level 20 is not hard to reach, and the enemies up to level 20 are not a major threat. For a paragon it's pretty much guaranteed without trying, you have great armour and attack at range.

Said by someone with actual experience, I presume?

My advice, don't take the title for granted, and play safe. Even on a Paragon. You'll achieve it with fewer failures.

Oliver
29-02-2008, 10:26
I have to agree with Lytel that survivor level 1 is very easy. Since Factions came out, any character I created that did not reach level 1 survivor automatically got deleted. I have 6 LS now, working on my 7th ( a 2nd mesmer who is at 830k xp ) with about 20 level 1 survivors in the other 5 accounts. But back to OP: Nightfall ele skills are over-rated, though undoubtedly powerful, unless you want to spam SF.

Nemeon Lion
29-02-2008, 20:44
*Enters the Water Publicitor*

Go Water!!! :wink:

You can alwasy revolve around a Water build. Most of the usefull skills of Water are Core, Prophecies or Factions. Deep Freeze, Maelstrom, Shatterstone, Ward Against Harm. That's just some exemples. But as a poster above said, Nightfall elites are completely overrated.

Ryuujinx
01-03-2008, 20:51
*Enters the Water Publicitor*

Go Water!!! :wink:

You can alwasy revolve around a Water build. Most of the usefull skills of Water are Core, Prophecies or Factions. Deep Freeze, Maelstrom, Shatterstone, Ward Against Harm. That's just some exemples. But as a poster above said, Nightfall elites are completely overrated.

QFT

This was my water build, it's support and may need some tweaking -

High Water
Mehish earth
Decent Healing
Highish ES

Shard Storm
Ice Spikes
Deep Freeze
Heal paty
Wad Against Melee
Glyph of Sac
Res Chant
Ether Prodigy {E}

E prod lets you spam next to eveything, but keep in mind you're not here fo damage. You need alot moe battlefield awareness.

Something attacking your monk? Shard Storm it. Your fire ele about to Aoe? Deep freeze his targets. Ice spikes the things your warrior is trying to kill.

Also, Heal Party spam makes the monks job easier. And WAM is just fun.

Nemeon Lion
02-03-2008, 01:19
QFT

This was my water build, it's support and may need some tweaking -

High Water
Mehish earth
Decent Healing
Highish ES

Shard Storm
Ice Spikes
Deep Freeze
Heal paty
Wad Against Melee
Glyph of Sac
Res Chant
Ether Prodigy {E}

E prod lets you spam next to eveything, but keep in mind you're not here fo damage. You need alot moe battlefield awareness.

Something attacking your monk? Shard Storm it. Your fire ele about to Aoe? Deep freeze his targets. Ice spikes the things your warrior is trying to kill.

Also, Heal Party spam makes the monks job easier. And WAM is just fun.

That reminds me of something.

Yesterday i went with a guildie to vanquish Ferndale, and brought a Water build, as I usually do. It's so funny casting a Maelstrom to counter a Stormcaller.

"My Maelstrom is stronger then yours!!"

It really made me laugh! :laugh:

Kendel
02-03-2008, 11:26
Water depends entirely on the opponents formation, your formation and the members. If you get a good hit on a group of casters with Maelstrom then gg. If you can only hit 1 then its not that good. If most of what you snare with deep freeze are things that aren't moving anyway.. again not much use. Depending on what the rest of your team is... if the rest of it is very hard hitting melee attackers that make use of grouped up foes (Dervish, Blossom or Triple Chop) then its great. If your teamed with a bunch of SH eles then you'll tear them apart.

Nemeon Lion
03-03-2008, 10:55
Water depends entirely on the opponents formation, your formation and the members. If you get a good hit on a group of casters with Maelstrom then gg. If you can only hit 1 then its not that good. If most of what you snare with deep freeze are things that aren't moving anyway.. again not much use. Depending on what the rest of your team is... if the rest of it is very hard hitting melee attackers that make use of grouped up foes (Dervish, Blossom or Triple Chop) then its great. If your teamed with a bunch of SH eles then you'll tear them apart.

I run a complete caster team, with the exception of a BHA ranger, which means snares work out very well, allowing the rest of the caster party to deal some amazing dmg.

What you said it's a very good point. No one is gonna waste 25 energ + Exhaustion just to keep one caster shutdown, when a BHA ranger could have done the same. However, in HM, it might be a good idea, especially bosses, just to concentrate that Maelstrom on it. You never know when the monster is gonna unleash a 400 dmg spike on you and your team. :wink: