PDA

View Full Version : I want to see technological advances in Tyria

amcoolio
21-05-2008, 09:43
I like discussing Guild Wars 2 rather than actually play Guild Wars, so here is another topic of interest.

Instead of the same old theme that a lot of MMO's use (but Guild Wars was by far the best, because it didn't subject us to "Elves" and "Orcs" like...well..everything else) I want to see GW2 in a slightly more advanced world. After all, it does take place centuries later (am I right)?

This would keep the game even more fresh and it wouldn't be deemed just a graphical improvement from its predecessor. Let me give you some ideas, then you can comment.

Guild Wars probably takes place in the 1200-1400 era of our world, if you look at the enviroment, the technology, town and building structure, npc hobbies, and game storyline.

If 400 years passed in our world, we are looking at a completely different world. Not the Dark Ages, they didn't last that long.

I'm thinking of a game world that excludes guns and cannons, but has other advances in machinery, metal and iron production, etc. The magic and creatures that exist in Guild Wars would feed off these advances. For instance:

Towns would be...well...cities, heavily populated areas but still in war with each other and because they are dangerous, there are only a few safe haven areas in cities where npc's and players gather.

The outdoor world will still be the same with the same wildlife.

With this you can have the introduction of new/different classes that feed off this technology.

You have the Warrior, Elementalist, Monk, Necro, and Mesmer, those are the standard. The Ranger is sort of transformed into a Druid (for lack of a better name) class, one that focuses more on nature and less on shooting arrows. The Druid can cast spells as well as use a bow (which the Warrior can be adept with as well, having Warrior-only bow skills). The Druid focuses on harnessing the power of nature to overcome technology and is able to control wildlife. Then you have another class, which we will call Alchemist (lol). The Alchemist is heavily dependent on technology and is able to create and harness steel and chemicals, using it against their foes. They can also support each of the 5 standard classes with use of steel and chemicals, and lets also give them a steel golem companion as an elite skill.

I realize there are probably better ideas for class creation out there, and that I have only 1 real physical damage profession right now, but I'm trying to think of ways to advance the classes so that they aren't the same exact things they were 400 years ago, which would be unlikely.

Also note that I haven't played any other MMO ever, so if I am stealing ideas then I am not doing it knowingly

Arkhan The Black
21-05-2008, 12:41
Well there is the Asuras and their magical machines like the Asura Gates and Golems.

Tom Nook
21-05-2008, 14:08
Guild Wars probably takes place in the 1200-1400 era of our world, if you look at the enviroment, the technology, town and building structure, npc hobbies, and game storyline.

I think when Guild Wars II opens, one hundred years have passed.

Arkhan The Black
21-05-2008, 14:22
I heard 250 years after the Eye of the North incident. Also advanced metalwork has already been seen with the Dwarves and their high quality steel. Also as for warfare technology the Luxons already have cannons, there are several advanced siege weapons in Prophecies and Nightfall also as mentioned before the Asura will probably be the technicians of GW2 having all cool inventions that other races can't be bothered with inventing.

TheBravoMaestro
21-05-2008, 14:56
In your second paragraph you talk about recurring themes in MMO's and that Guild Wars was by far the best, yet right at the end you bold and underline a sentance saying you have 'never played another MMO ever', I dunno that just seemed a little odd to me.

About your idea, its cool but there will be more happening in Guild Wars 2 than just an advancement of graphical quality I assure you, even if it stays in the same time-space.

Derrick the Nomad
21-05-2008, 16:01
GW already has cannons.

GW2 is 250 years in the future. You don't think they will have created some type of rifle by then (and a new class skilled with the weapon)?

The new elementalist might become an Alchemist and I'm sure Golemancers will be a completely new class.

Tom Nook
22-05-2008, 14:34
I heard 250 years after the Eye of the North incident.

You're absolutely right. :embarassed:

GW2 is 250 years in the future. You don't think they will have created some type of rifle by then (and a new class skilled with the weapon)?

I really, really hope not.

Xycury
22-05-2008, 17:17
I really hope they don't advance to firearms... that would turn me away.

why not go into maces, pole arms, crossbows, and such... there is still a wide selection of martial weapons that aren't being used.

I would like to see advancement too, but not with gunpowder...

SpitfireIXA
22-05-2008, 17:45
Dwarven firearms would be very possible, since they are the only race with a great knowledge of explosives (non-magical). But, since the dwarves are nearly gone, I doubt that we will see any advancement in gunpowder technology.

Arkhan The Black
22-05-2008, 17:57
Well firearms seems kinda pointless in a world where you can hurl down meteors from the sky and all other destructive magics. But then again that has never stopped rangers to stick with bow and arrows.

dusanyu
22-05-2008, 19:47
If Guild wars to Will feature any Change in tech. it will be a Drastic step back or perhaps surrounded by the ruins of once Glowing cities of a golden age brought upon by the peace started by the Actions of your toon in eye of the north.

Guild wars 2 if you reed "the movement of the world" will be Post apoctaliptic.

I am not hopeing to see a change in tech but to see ruins or abandoned Great cities (think hall of heroes only ruined)

Akirai Annuvil
22-05-2008, 20:02
GW already has cannons.

The new elementalist might become an Alchemist and I'm sure Golemancers will be a completely new class.

You do realize how much lore they can make to fill the 250 yea stretch of time? For example, cannons have been seen in Luxon areas, however Cantha got shutdown before knowledge of their manufacture reach other continents. The son of Kisu unfortunately destroyed all written testimonies on the art of making cannons and it is now considered a lost art.
For the rest there's always the dragon's coming about to shake things up; apparently, the Asuran ability to animate dead objects (golemancy) was derived from the sleeping Dragon of Undeath - after it's awakening, it forced all Asuran Golems to kill their masters, and he now uses them to guard his lair. Very few golemancers now exist, and all lore concerning it has been outlawed by the Asuran leaders for fear of further retribution.
Etcetera.
Anet is not going to base such important decisions as class creation on lore. The lore behind each class will have some roots in modern day GW lore, but the GW2 lore will ultimately be tailored around the GW2 gameplay.

MiatheHierophant
22-05-2008, 21:37
I agree that some areas will be more of a post-apocolyptic war zone, but I think that there are other areas that will have become "civilized" and have more modern facilities. After all, look how far the US has come in the roughly 235 years since the Declaration of Independence.

I do see crossbows, maybe a rudimentary ranged weapon based upon gunpowder, and some refinement of blade technology. I just hope they don't go too far into the future with the technology. I don't want to run into thompson sub machine guns being sold from the back of a truck...

amcoolio
23-05-2008, 10:05
I wasn't talking about guns, becuase that would be pointless IMO (I mean really, who is going to go melee in the real world when other people have guns? Its like in Civilization IV - don't bring swords to a gunfight).

Maybe a time shortly before gunpowder? Or a world where gunpowder has not been introduced but is slightly more modern, i.e. they have the technology to create rifling but no one has shown them the technology so they don't know what to do with it?

I'm hoping that the classes all improve over 250 years, I think seeing the same GW-style skills would be disappointing.

Its also hard because I don't have any ideas. I think I may try Age of Conan so I'll see if I can derive anything from there.

Arkhan The Black
23-05-2008, 12:30
You do realize how much lore they can make to fill the 250 yea stretch of time? For example, cannons have been seen in Luxon areas, however Cantha got shutdown before knowledge of their manufacture reach other continents. The son of Kisu unfortunately destroyed all written testimonies on the art of making cannons and it is now considered a lost art.
For the rest there's always the dragon's coming about to shake things up; apparently, the Asuran ability to animate dead objects (golemancy) was derived from the sleeping Dragon of Undeath - after it's awakening, it forced all Asuran Golems to kill their masters, and he now uses them to guard his lair. Very few golemancers now exist, and all lore concerning it has been outlawed by the Asuran leaders for fear of further retribution.
Etcetera.
Anet is not going to base such important decisions as class creation on lore. The lore behind each class will have some roots in modern day GW lore, but the GW2 lore will ultimately be tailored around the GW2 gameplay.

I don't ever recall reading that anywhere. Care to state source?

Gmr Leon
23-05-2008, 19:13
I don't ever recall reading that anywhere. Care to state source?

There is no source, he just came up with basic examples of what Anet could do to fill the lore gap and explain the lack of advances in technology.

SpitfireIXA
23-05-2008, 19:48
Also note that technology rarely advances quickly once magic is discovered. This is a logical premise:

Peoples advance to Medieval era.
Magic is discovered.
The rudimentary amount of power in Medieval technology makes magic greatly impressive.
Magic is the only thing being largely researched by top scholars.
Thus, magic, rather than technology, improves the most.

nkuvu
23-05-2008, 19:52
I'd rather not have technological advances. If I wanted to play a tech-based game, I'd be playing StarCraft or similar (first tech example I thought of, even if it's not an MMORPG).

Even the current Asuran golems don't fit my concept of a fantasy game.

Akirai Annuvil
23-05-2008, 19:58
There is no source, he just came up with basic examples of what Anet could do to fill the lore gap and explain the lack of advances in technology.

QFT .

jayson
23-05-2008, 20:26
Also note that technology rarely advances quickly once magic is discovered. This is a logical premise:

Peoples advance to Medieval era.
Magic is discovered.
The rudimentary amount of power in Medieval technology makes magic greatly impressive.
Magic is the only thing being largely researched by top scholars.
Thus, magic, rather than technology, improves the most.

Couldn't agree more. Could you see a medical team pulling a player off the battlefield and performing life saving surgery? Or would your monk just use his magic to raise you from the dead?

Originally Posted by nkuvu
I'd rather not have technological advances. If I wanted to play a tech-based game, I'd be playing StarCraft or similar (first tech example I thought of, even if it's not an MMORPG).

Even the current Asuran golems don't fit my concept of a fantasy game.

First thing it makes me think of is WoW. I always felt that seeing Goblin and Dwarf tech in that game looked out of place. I'm hoping GW2 avoids that kind of thing. When I first heard about the Asura I was worried that the same thing was going to happen. But having magic crystals to power a golem wasn't so bad after all. But I'd prefer it not go any farther then that.

Gmr Leon
23-05-2008, 20:52
When I first heard about the Asura I was worried that the same thing was going to happen. But having magic crystals to power a golem wasn't so bad after all. But I'd prefer it not go any farther then that.

This piques my curiosity, were you not a bit bothered by the Iron Forgeman introduced in Sorrow's Furnace? If not, then why?

Tru Reptile
23-05-2008, 23:09

Since when are technological advances limited only to crap like spaceships or laser guns or whatever? Crossbows, Blunderbuss' and flintlock pistols are considered technological advances without being things you's see in a sci-fi movie or game.

This is technological advancement but could fit well in the world of Guild Wars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luPbSIu8n8I&feature=related

I do think it's funny how people think tech advancement automatically mean laser/machine guns or other crap...

captain lucky
23-05-2008, 23:15
As far as I'm concerned forget bows lets bring in some Muskets, 250 years has passed the Dwarves had Gunpowder meaning realistically we should have muskets of some sort.

Gmr Leon
23-05-2008, 23:36
As far as I'm concerned forget bows lets bring in some Muskets, 250 years has passed the Dwarves had Gunpowder meaning realistically we should have muskets of some sort.

They should, but the two societies that held any basis whatsoever cut themselves off from humanity. Think about it, the Dwarves disappeared into the Depths for the most part and the Dredge took over their territory. The Dredge are hostile towards Norn, meaning they'd probably be hostile to humans too. This would then cut off the humans from the Deldrimor blackpowder, I think it's called, that they had used in explosives.

The Canthans held some dominance over blackpowder in a much more effective way than the Dwarves, but they went isolationist. Meaning they've either advanced it or not, and either way Tyrians won't have access to it.

Tru Reptile
23-05-2008, 23:56
Meaning they've either advanced it or not, and either way Tyrians won't have access to it.

That doesn't mean that they can't get access to it though. Even though the two societies became isolated they could very well send their secret mastery of blackpowder to the Tyrians to help battle the dragons and whatever other evil baddies will be in GW2. As long as people with the knowledge of blackpowder survive there is a way to incorporate into GW2 lore.

Gmr Leon
24-05-2008, 00:08
No doubt about it, but the trouble is the Undead Dragon has a navy of ships blocking the path to Divinity Reach a.k.a Kryta.

Tru Reptile
24-05-2008, 00:37
No doubt about it, but the trouble is the Undead Dragon has a navy of ships blocking the path to Divinity Reach a.k.a Kryta.

I just remembered that Tyrians already have access to blackpowder as there are Prophecies quests and missions where players use it. It's possible Tyrians could advance the use of it in GW2.

Akirai Annuvil
24-05-2008, 02:51
As long as people with the knowledge of blackpowder survive there is a way to incorporate into GW2 lore.
There are also plenty of ways to exclude it from GW2 lore. I pointed out a few obvious ones in ... a previous post.

If they are going to incorporate high-fly magic with actual tehnology, very few games have managed to combine it in one convincing world as well as final fantasy, in particular 10 is a chapter in that series where very few people complain about the technology present (even though it includes laserz) while the world's power still revolves to a large extent around magic.

nkuvu
24-05-2008, 03:34
Since when are technological advances limited only to crap like spaceships or laser guns or whatever?
Have you seen the Asuran golems?

They'd fit perfectly into a science fiction movie (all you'd have to do is change the power source from magic to some tech -- visually no changes necessary).

Dark Wolf
24-05-2008, 03:56
Personaly, I would welcome positively a technological advance in GW2. Lots of things can happen in 3 centuries and with the asurian inventions, many new things could appear in GW2 where they were absent in GW. It kind of reminds me of Saga of Ryzom, a MMO with a mix of fantasy and scifi where there were guns and bazookas along with melee weapons and magic, including space ships. One of the reasons I loved so much Star Wars as a kid was because it was mixing two elements I loved very much, scifi and fantasy, in one. I'm not saying I want space ships in GW2 but there are aready aliens with the Mursaats in GW, and plenty of other fascinating elements, and it'd be great to have more technology in GW2, more science, but still deeply rooted in magic.

Ace Bear
24-05-2008, 07:45
Thinking about it lore-wise, 250 years doesn't seem like enough to develop guns. After all the dragons have caused a crapload of natural disasters along with the charr and undead causing a large amount of destruction as well. Technology doesn't advance much when the human race is struggling to survive which is the main premise behind GW2 lore right now. All of the main capitols are gone, territory is cut in half. Dragons, undead, charr, environment, random monsters, etc.

If anything I wouldn't be surprised in 250 years of hell if tech didn't go backwards. Game-wise though they will most likely make things a little updated in tech but I doubt anything as advanced as guns.

jayson
24-05-2008, 09:05
This piques my curiosity, were you not a bit bothered by the Iron Forgeman introduced in Sorrow's Furnace? If not, then why?

The Iron Forgeman is a huge one-eyed mechanical golem, powered by three bound Flame Djinn. To me there's no tech there. Without the Djinn it's basicly nothing more then a huge metal statue. Golems are powered by magic crystals which to me has no tech either. I'm not overly concerned about the appearance of the Forgeman or golem (well maybe a little), but the means by which it works. I would compare these to enchanted hammers/bows in the crystal desert. Magicly animated metal. For that matter they're really no different then ice or stone golems imo.

Arkhan The Black
24-05-2008, 14:29
Well most golems seems to be sentient elementals while the Asura golems are an artificial creation with no will of it's own.

sorudo
24-05-2008, 23:19
there is an artical somewhere where they explain what happened in the 250 year trough tyria, something that the charrs take control of whole ascalon and the white mantle have moved trough out the siverpeek.
they also said that the humans moved to the dessert, so expect some sand when you're playing a human in GW2.
and with the end movie in GW:EN you can already see that the asura will live close to the asura

i wish i had that artical somewhere, i could then copy/paste the artical here.

i would not like to see any firearms at all, maybe simulair to the mechanic i posted ones, but that is not a prof that uses any firearms at all, just devices for defense and offense like the spirits.(but then a bit stronger defense)

jayson
24-05-2008, 23:47
Well most golems seems to be sentient elementals while the Asura golems are an artificial creation with no will of it's own.

Stone, ice and flesh golems are purely attack and defence. Animated for a purpose with no real sentience of their own imo. This would be on par with Asura golems, minions and the Iron Forgeman. No sentience and driven by the will of their creators. Djinns however are sentiet and that's been clearly shown.

Ace Bear
25-05-2008, 03:03
they also said that the humans moved to the dessert, so expect some sand when you're playing a human in GW2.
The norn fight the dredge in the southern shiverpeaks, the ice dragon's minions own the northern shiverpeaks. The undead owned by that Palawa Joko run the Crystal Desert which is now a lush paradise.

Gmr Leon
25-05-2008, 05:23
Only a section of the Crystal Desert is a pristine and lush paradise, and that section is where his palace is. The humans do not move to the Crystal Desert, there are still humans in Kryta, but they've moved northward and obviously more inland to a location on the Divinity Coast. There they built a city called Divinity Reach that acts as a haven for humans from all over Tyria.

The White Mantle have not moved into the Shiverpeaks, most of Ace Bear's info is accurate except the bit I picked on. The White Mantle, if I remember correctly, have spread out across Kryta and are still fighting the monarchy. They are also hiding out in certain locations around the Maguuma Jungle, if I'm not mistaken, seems a likely place.

The Asura are all over the place, but it seems like their main civilization will be located on the Tarnished Coast. The Charr have taken over most of Ascalon with the exceptions of Ascalon City and Ebonhawke.

Ace Bear
25-05-2008, 06:44
Well with Palawa I took this quote from Wiki(which was originally quoted from an accurate source):

The monster's name was Palawa Joko. Within sixty years of Kormir's rise to godhood, Palawa Joko mustered his former power and marched a new army of mummies, zombies, and other undead out of the Crystal Desert into war with Vabbi. To ensure his dominance, Palawa dammed and diverted the river Elon, causing drought and famine amid the northern provinces of Elona and creating a green and growing area within the Crystal Desert. In this area, Palawa Joko established the seat of his new kingdom.
The last sentence I took as making at least most of the Desert nice and it is just mentioning him putting his temple/seat of power/whatever as just a side thing for us to more or less tell us we are going to have a mission there, eventually.

And you are correct about the White mantle(I assumed saying the norn were in the south and the dragon in the north rebuked his statement) except that they aren't really fighting specifically against the queen. They are just fighting for land/power against anything that stands in their way.

Also, I don't remember any specific mention of where the Asura are just this:
Their own cities are far off the main paths of travel, distant even from central Lion's Arch.I would assume you are more or less right, they seem to like Jungles and places they can hide.

Flamefang of Arnor
26-05-2008, 16:04
Just noting.... since GW 2 will have multiple playable races each race could have different classes and so for example the Asura could have the "Alchemist" and the Sylvari could change their "ranger" class to druid and the Human could stay with the basic class system..... the only problem with my idea here is that it could unbalance the power between races but im sure Anet could fix that.....

also noting about firearms.... well i personally don't want them but maybe the Tyrians could have discovered the idea but never gone far with is due to their magics and all of that.....

Wonderboy Jack
27-05-2008, 01:34
1 Word, Gunpowder.

Flamefang of Arnor
27-05-2008, 02:06
Well since gunpowder is a chemical combination of sulfur,charcoal and potassium nitrate i don't see why the Tyrians shouldn't have discovered it but what i'm saying is gunpowder is VERY WoW and D&Dish and also firearms have limitations.... early European gunpowder based weapons were highly unreliable and could explode at almost any time killing all those in the vicinity. early firearms were also inaccurate, limited to line of sight and also were only really used in massive firing lines.... I'm not sure we want or could have those in GW 2. Guns also took up to minutes to reload. Cannons have already been introduced with the Luxons but it was never mentioned how they were fired although I'm assuming some type of combustible or magic.... Cannons were also highly unreliable and slightly inaccurate.... so in general Gunpowder, and Firearms area big no no for GW2... unless were giving them AK-47s or M16s.... those are accurate and reliable..... but a little far forward for the GW universe.... :)

P.S. Magic is MUCH more flexible! and for that matter COOL LOOKING! *.*

Windw
27-05-2008, 07:42
If there are fire arms what about how the chinese used it for: shooting arrows out of a gunpowder filled tube. Or they won't be hand held. but massive siege weapons that actually do take minutes to load do massive damage and very inaccurate. We already have gunpowder, fireworks anybody? Gunpowder had another use: scaring opponents with the loud noise and smoke.

Wonderboy Jack
27-05-2008, 14:26
Prefer the a gunpowder based class to work like the Engineer does in WAR, with a turret that can be planted in the groundand controled like a pet class. Experimental explosives planted like how 'Trap Skills' work for rangers. Or a basic rifle that gets more damage and accurate at close range.

Arkhan The Black
27-05-2008, 16:33
Except that class would suck in PvP because everyone would nuke the crap out of them before they have the chance to do any real damage.

Jair of the Forest
27-05-2008, 17:31
Except that class would suck in PvP because everyone would nuke the crap out of them before they have the chance to do any real damage.

This is nonsense. Absolute nonsense.
Did you ever think of Monks that would be healing them while setting up? Other classes defending them? 1 vs 1 fights rarely occur in PvP so that class wouldn't have any disadvantage.

Arkhan The Black
27-05-2008, 17:42
A class lacking mobility wouldn't be that great. If you go by GW1 PvP you will probably get trampled by melee classes that can withstand the damage output or get nuked to oblivion. Then again I have no idea how much the PvP and professions will change in GW2 so not gonna say anything further about the issue.

dark3
27-05-2008, 18:07
Humm... interesting idea, keep in mind though that the description that Anet made of the GW2 world is not so happy:

A full 250 years after the original Guild Wars, massive upheavals, cataclysms, and globe-spanning events have changed the world of Tyria. Human civilization is in decline. Other races are rising up, taking control over large portions of the world; the balance of power has shifted. The dragons have awoken.

Doesn't look likely to me that humans had the time and resources to develop new kind of technologies, albeit some other race could have(the Charr? :laugh:). :wink:

Flamefang of Arnor
28-05-2008, 02:18
OMG.. i just deleted this long painstaking post for the third time with my lil' brother playing screechy violin in the background and i'm typing this on a laptop!

OKAY! REWRITING.... uhhh forget the quote.... just look at WindW's post above...

OK rockets are a possibility like those the British used in the 1700s.. wow i've lost all creativity now.... ill write this tomorrow..... sorry....

but introducing Gunpowder would dramatically change the whole Guild Wars universe.... SIGH!

BTW whoever said those fireworks were gunpowder?

Akirai Annuvil
28-05-2008, 02:47
Prefer the a gunpowder based class to work like the Engineer does in WAR, with a turret that can be planted in the groundand controled like a pet class. Experimental explosives planted like how 'Trap Skills' work for rangers. Or a basic rifle that gets more damage and accurate at close range.

So that would be like a ranger, spamming spirits and traps.
Why am I not liking this idea already?

Area control through immobile NPCs does not work; adding NPCs to surpass the party limit and make PvP more AI dependant shouldn't be a viable option in PvP at all.

Flamefang of Arnor
28-05-2008, 16:49
OK i am retyping this post now.... for the fourth time!

so Rockets are a possibility, like those used by the Chinese and those used by the British in the 1700s. also Bombards and other heavy cannons could be incorporated into the universe if not too common.

we must all remember that with the introduction of such a powerful new technology it will change almost everything from Town design, to armor, strategies, and fortifacations. with the introduction of Cannon during the middle ages prompted the complete re-design of forts and castles. the old "lets build a massive as thick as possible wall" design didn't work against cannon and they were forced to focus on making walls that could deflect incredibly fast moving projectiles.

Firearms as i mentioned before could have been invented... most likely by the canthans whom could invent something similar to the Chinese "quiang' a long barreled musket like weapon with limited range and accuracy. with such a weapon though those whom practiced the martial arts in china lost their power as "qiuang" slugs were nearly impossible to dodge or deflect resulting in the destruction of several rebel monasteries. these weapons in Tyria would dramatically reduce the power of all melee classes as well as rangers.

the idea posted above with "controllable" turrets wouldn't work well and being a ranger myself i know this.

as i previously mentioned firearms did not become fully effective in large scale combat until later when true muskets came into power and later rifles.

one advancement in Tyrian tech that id like to see is the increased size and pop. of towns... look at Kamadan... where do the people live? and LA despite being a military center has little living space. Ascalon did well in this aspect though and of course Keineng and the city have lots of living space... but I'd like to see fully fledged towns with back streets maybe second floors and above all THE ABILITY TO GO INSIDE!

also as previously noted though technologies are increasingly hard to develop during times of chaos and when they are they are not always accepted immediately.... ex. the Gatling gun.

so anyway id also like to hear what Anet has to say on this topic....

and thanks for reading my incredibly long post...

~Flamefang of Arnor

P.S. btw the Charr could have some kind of gunpowder thing...(crazy pyros.. the lot of them!)

Derrick the Nomad
28-05-2008, 17:59
I would like to point out that MAGIC is actually on the decline.
It was stated that the influence of the gods had just about disappeared and that people's devotion to the gods were waning.

Magic is currently in the process of being replaced or reinterpreted as alchemy.

There was concept work of an airship floating around somewhere. GW2 might take place in a fantasy punk era.

Gmr Leon
28-05-2008, 21:55
I would like to point out that MAGIC is actually on the decline.
It was stated that the influence of the gods had just about disappeared and that people's devotion to the gods were waning.

Magic is currently in the process of being replaced or reinterpreted as alchemy.

There was concept work of an airship floating around somewhere. GW2 might take place in a fantasy punk era.

The influence of the Gods was pretty much gone either way in GW. That is when you think about the fact that we only see their avatars, they don't help us in any way, and whatnot. Oh, but Balthazar does make a reappearance when he opens a gateway to the Mists/Hall of Heroes in Lion's Arch. If anything that should reignite the Tyrians devotion.

At any rate, if you could cite a source to the information you're providing that would be nice.

dark3
28-05-2008, 22:16
The influence of the Gods was pretty much gone either way in GW. That is when you think about the fact that we only see their avatars, they don't help us in any way, and whatnot. Oh, but Balthazar does make a reappearance when he opens a gateway to the Mists/Hall of Heroes in Lion's Arch. If anything that should reignite the Tyrians devotion.

At any rate, if you could cite a source to the information you're providing that would be nice.

Hmm I have to disagree about this. Gods might not be an "active" presence in GW, but that might just depend on their nature and on the way they are linked to this world(from what they tell you in the Gate of Madness mission, it sounds ike to me that they're not supposed to play an active role in world events, however big and destructive they happen to be). Anyways, their effiges are everywhere(albeit this could depend on the fact that we need res shrines :laugh: ). Many skills are also based on them or at least bear their name. And, from what I understand and if I'm not mistaken, the "supernatural" abilities of the chosen ones(that is, the capability of using what we call "skills" and "attributes") are a divine gift. So Gods still play an important role in GW atm. If they really disappear in GW2, I'd think this event would cause massive changes to the world and the people! :huh:

OldFool
28-05-2008, 23:03
P.S. btw the Charr could have some kind of gunpowder thing...(crazy pyros.. the lot of them!)

Maybe they will plant mines along the trails, pissing off all those hoping to be Legendary Survivors...

Flamefang of Arnor
28-05-2008, 23:37
Well i have to say that well maybe Magic is on the decline but note this... what is GW all about? MAGIC! that is one of the major differences besides wildlife and geography that separates our wold and that one. Dark3 i really agree with you here. the gods may not be active and also it is mentioned that they have little activity in the world.... the Tyrians may not worship the gods in our faces but it probably happens since without magic the humans would be destroyed... it was the only thing that separated them from the Charr. also Derrick the nomad PLEASE tell us where you saw this airship, and if it does exist that in almost no way points to the decline of magic.... the Asura being lil' geniuses wouldn't surprise me with an airship designed by one of their Krewes. without Magic the Humans despite being in decline would have fallen apart much earlier than this.

P.S. Gods aren't supposed to be conspicuous look at all real legends... Gods tend to use heroes or Avatars to accomplish goals... well they do smite sometimes but not that often....

Xender Voth
06-06-2008, 23:25
I've never been a fan of the whole steampunk thing. But that's just me. I'm very into classical fantasy, sword and sorcery. Not a fan of guns, trains, airships in my fantasy games. Again, this is just my opinion.

And maybe I'm biased, but I hope GW2 doesn't advance in technology, because I feel Guild Wars is really the only game out there right now in tune with the high fantasy setting and staying very classic, very D&D-ish. There's nothing too absurd going on, it's not ridiculously "high" fantasy but it's certainly not low fantasy either.

Then again I'm still hoping they reconsider the raised level cap. I always thought 20 was a sound, healthy number, again cause I'm a D&D nerd.

Tru Reptile
06-06-2008, 23:47
I've also seen the concept art of what looked like an airship. I can't for the life of me remember where I've seen it, but I did see it. I'm guessing it was scrapped because it couldn't work/fit well in the current GW timeline, which is why GW2 takes place hundreds of years after.

Flamefang of Arnor
08-06-2008, 06:05
I've never been a fan of the whole steampunk thing. But that's just me. I'm very into classical fantasy, sword and sorcery. Not a fan of guns, trains, airships in my fantasy games. Again, this is just my opinion.

And maybe I'm biased, but I hope GW2 doesn't advance in technology, because I feel Guild Wars is really the only game out there right now in tune with the high fantasy setting and staying very classic, very D&D-ish. There's nothing too absurd going on, it's not ridiculously "high" fantasy but it's certainly not low fantasy either.

Then again I'm still hoping they reconsider the raised level cap. I always thought 20 was a sound, healthy number, again cause I'm a D&D nerd.

i have to agree with most of this here and especially the first paragraph. GW doesn't need the steam, gunpowder or gears really.... it would destroy the setting.

but i dont think that Gw is D&Dish D&D has become the standard for games and especially books. theres always an elf, dwarf, ogre, goblin or paladin. always a massive evil dragon or evil hordes of orcs. in GW there are no orcs, hordes(excpet for the undead), or even classic zombies. GW is one of the first MMO's ive seen without all of this stuff. its not copying Tolkien, C.S. Lewis or D&D. its almost completely original. lately i have been seeking a book or game with no identifiable evil, or even main bad guy. in real life many bad people think they are doing right. while in many classic games and movies the enemy knows they are evil. anyway ill end my ranting here and just say that i want GW2 to stay similar to its predecessor.

~Flamefang of Arnor

sorudo
08-06-2008, 12:29
the evil villain i like is the one who is doing something evil while it's justice on his end, something like a villain that kills rich ppl and spread the gold trough out pour ppl.
in one side, it's kindhearted, but anyone killing someone els is still an evil person.
a bit like the circle of crimes, kill one and the other kills the killer and so on.
but as i saw so many times before, killing is not needed, just take away there pride and he/she's done for.
would be fun to see that in gw, where you can decide if you kill the enemy boss or remove it's power, linked to quests and such.

Derrick the Nomad
08-06-2008, 19:36
Fantasy punk IS NOT steam punk.

The technology is powered by magic -not steam.

Akirai Annuvil
09-06-2008, 13:20
D&D has become the standard for games and especially books.
That would be the bad books.
Even I can write more original **** than that.

lately i have been seeking a book or game with no identifiable evil, or even main bad guy.
A story is at it's heart about conflict. Conflict spawns from conflicting morals*. As a reader you will always find one moral option superior to the other. Ergo there is always going to be one side which is evil (morally inferior) and one which is good (morally superior).
*It can also spawn on other grounds, however this is not the case in 95% of fiction. The remaining 5% is a bore to read.

Fantasy punk IS NOT steam punk.
I think most people are going to object either way.

I think fantasy punk is fairly interesting and wouldn't mind seeing it in GW.
Then again I don't find the spoilered picture below to be in anyway off putting to a fantasy environment.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-02/art/ff12-misc02.jpg