PDA

View Full Version : In-Game Voice Chat?!

Avatin
21-05-2008, 21:22
I don't know for you, but I have been wondering if there would be ingame voice chat in Guild Wars 2.

:smiley: Lets have a look at these two links that may lead you to a beginning of answer:

1) ArenaNet is searching for a Text/Voice/Chat Engineer:
http://www.arenanet.com/jobs/chatengineer.php

2) Vivox is announcing a "Collaboration to Bring Voice to the NCsoft Player Community:
http://www.vivox.com/pressreleases_detail.php?id=33

One word : COOL! :smiley:

cass
21-05-2008, 21:58
i really hope that they work a little harder on it than the people over at Blizzard did for WoW. everyone got all excited about in-game voice chat, and then the voice quality was so bad you couldnt tell if people were male or female..or even human for that matter. :/

drox
21-05-2008, 22:49
i dont really care for ingame voice chat, there are good programs like ventrilo to do that. imo its a waste of time to stuff voice chat in the game.

Avatin
21-05-2008, 23:04
i dont really care for ingame voice chat, there are good programs like ventrilo to do that. imo its a waste of time to stuff voice chat in the game.

It won't be a waste of time if Anet create big PvP arenas. You could talk to your nearests teamates on the fly without having to ask for a server ip and password... Would make communication easier in any situation everywhere in the world, don't you think so?

drox
21-05-2008, 23:19
talking in mass pvp to people that are near to you?
what would happen if i stand in a crowd of lets say 100 people? all talking at the same time.

if i want to talk to guildies or any other person for that matter im happy to give my vent server ip, they can then also save that ip in the program for future use.

the way you like to see it will prolly only result in mass hysteria with people yelling and ranting.

im sure i'd turn the feature off.

*edit*
now if they'd make it that each guild would have a "vent" like program where the guild leader could set up different rooms it could be ok. guildies/alliance members would have automated acces, and the members (with set rights) could invite other players from outside the guild/alliance.

Akirai Annuvil
22-05-2008, 00:11
Wow. I actually thought about creating a thread on this the other day but figured GWO community wasn't really interested enough in VoIP to make it worthwhile.

Anyway, I'm glad about voice chat being added however:
Please, please let it be good quality. Bad quality voice chat = worse than no voice chat at all.
Censorship is useless. Do not allow the bannage of people for saying the words ****, **** or crap, or else every group will still use vent simply to prevent the team leader from getting banned.
And it'd be nice to add a mic to the (CE) GW box.
A nice option I'd like to see would be volume control for every party member; just a small slider which allows you to control the relative volume for the members.

i really hope that they work a little harder on it than the people over at Blizzard did for WoW.
...WoW had in-build voice chat?
The things you learn.

Gmr Leon
22-05-2008, 00:28
A nice option I'd like to see would be volume control for every party member; just a small slider which allows you to control the relative volume for the members.

That would be nice, but also there needs to be a Mute menu showing the player names in your party and obviously the option of muting them.

Team Fortress 2 does this and it's a blessing, considering many players will play annoying music or keep spamming some recording.

Lamuness
22-05-2008, 02:30
i really hope that they work a little harder on it than the people over at Blizzard did for WoW. everyone got all excited about in-game voice chat, and then the voice quality was so bad you couldnt tell if people were male or female..or even human for that matter. :/

That's because everyone playing was a prepubescent teenager who didn't have anything else to do after school. :grin:

Dark Wolf
22-05-2008, 06:56
Turbine has an ingame chat for LOTRO and DDO. I cannot comment on DDO but in LOTRO it's for teams only the voice chat and the sound is good, there is no lag as well (Ventrillo makes me lag). I think Tabula Rasa was supposed to have voice chat but it was absent during beta. Since I left during end of beta, it's possible the devs forgot to add it, like they forgot to add content, but maybe not. We may end up with the same as TB if it was finally added. So far, voice-chat in LOTRO is used mostly for difficult quests, raiding and PvP, or just chatting among guildies while they quest around. I wouldn't be against it if GW2 were to have voice-chat.

Trinity Fire Angel
22-05-2008, 07:06
It won't be a waste of time if Anet create big PvP arenas. You could talk to your nearests teamates on the fly without having to ask for a server ip and password... Would make communication easier in any situation everywhere in the world, don't you think so?

it would be great to run around the mists calling people noobs. LOL

serious now.... in game voice chat would be great and it would be a good money spinner for ANet as well as the whole having to DL stupid Vent or TS or XFire and getting everyone on the same chat and all the time it takes to get it together.

I would be ACE, If you are in a team, the team has auto enabled Voicechat, etc etc

skretth
22-05-2008, 07:15
GW already has a 3rd part program for koreans that is intergrated to the game for voice chat.
There used to be a link to it on their site, but i dont know korean so gave up using it.

dusanyu
22-05-2008, 18:51
your not paying a monthly fee for guild wars bandwidth costs money VOIP Uses bandwidth. adding voice to Guild wars 2 would not be fiscally sound.

Shadowleaf
26-05-2008, 03:49
your not paying a monthly fee for guild wars bandwidth costs money VOIP Uses bandwidth. adding voice to Guild wars 2 would not be fiscally sound.

Bandwidth has become incredibly cheap. I think it's actually a fiscally smart move for them to put in features like that if they can afford them. I think it's becoming a trend to have built-in voice chat in games now. They will actually lose a lot in sales if they don't do it.

sorudo
26-05-2008, 10:11
just one simple answer, NO
this will make playing GW more a voice chat game then really a game where you can chat, and with already ppl requiring ppl to use vent or teamspeak, this will only lower the quality of GW.
it's a game, not a call center.

Akirai Annuvil
26-05-2008, 11:52
this will make playing GW more a voice chat game then really a game where you can chat,
...what's the difference? Besides the obvious, you use your voice or your keyboard to chat with voice chat available, where you are forced to use your keyboard without VoIP available. Or to dowload vent/ts.

and with already ppl requiring ppl to use vent or teamspeak,
And they wouldn't be required to have either if it had an in-build (non-sucky) VoIP.

it's a game, not a call center.
Thank god VoIP is not related to the latter, and only to the former.

sorudo
26-05-2008, 12:17
.....what are you talking about....voice is voice, so if they build it in they "force" you to use voice or you're not invited.
and since i like my music more then "aaaahhhhhhhhh, you n00000000000b, go play WoW you retart, i'm l33ter then you", i rather have a game where there is NO voice chat build in.

Balan Makki
26-05-2008, 16:08
Bandwidth has become incredibly cheap. I think it's actually a fiscally smart move for them to put in features like that if they can afford them. I think it's becoming a trend to have built-in voice chat in games now. They will actually lose a lot in sales if they don't do it.

I agree, this feature is inevitable. If they're smart Arena Net will even integrate it into Emote and party panel feed back. Miss what someone just said? Just right clik the flashing name and and clik replay in the drop down context menu. Or choose to ignore further chat from offensive players, or choose only to hear players on your friends list/guild/alliance.

Even use voice filters to make your mini-me voice sound more manly. And hundreds of other ideas.

Oh, and speaking of cheap bandwith, Wired Mag. just had a blurb stating that an MMO character spends an anual required carbon signature equivelent to driving a BMW 750 Li across the US. Not so cheap when you can measure carbon resources in lives lost fighting for oil.

drox
26-05-2008, 17:36

how do they lose in sales if they dont ad voicechat in gw2? do you really think people will "not" buy the game if there isnt voicechat? or that people will think "hey this game has voicechat, i have no idea if its any good but it has voicechat so it must pwn!".

DOH!!!

Shadowleaf
26-05-2008, 19:02
Just play some Team Fortress 2. You'll find that people are far more mature in general when it comes to voice chat.

When you enter a server, everyone can talk. You can hear everyone. You are allowed to mute individuals because sometimes they do immature things.

Surprisingly enough, I have never heard anyone harrass someone else over the voice chat!

The only immature things I've encountered are known as "mic spam" where someone plays a song or sound clip which makes it hard for everyone else to talk over. In that case you just mute them.

how do they lose in sales if they dont ad voicechat in gw2? do you really think people will "not" buy the game if there isnt voicechat? or that people will think "hey this game has voicechat, i have no idea if its any good but it has voicechat so it must pwn!".

DOH!!!

More like they will generate more sales by adding the feature. Many games coming out now have the feature. Also everyone has broadband internet now. When GW was being developped many people still had dial up, so they had to design their network to be really low bandwidth.

Tru Reptile
26-05-2008, 19:25
I really hope voice chat does make it. Even if you type quickly you can't always issue strategy at the moment you need it, but with voice you can. I can't recall how often in a game I tried to type out "Look out behind you!" only to be too late and the person ends up dying. This is why I'm glad Microsoft made voice chat a standard for it's consoles.

But back to voice chat to GW2: I'm sure you'll still be able to use the keyboard to communicate, and I'm sure you'll be able to ignore/mute players if they become irritating. It's also more convenient than Vent or TS as you don't have to set up servers or send out IP's or any other crap.

amcoolio
26-05-2008, 19:46
Yes to voice chat. Guild Wars suffered greatly in this area. If you had voice chat in your pugs when doing pve or pvp, or RA or TA, then you would stay in the game much longer and be more interested, instead of hating pugs. Just put an icon next to everyone's name on the party list so there is one-click mute. Done and done.

reppoh kered
03-06-2008, 20:11

yes, that would be cool, but almost too much like xbox live. Those screaming 12 year olds scare me:huh:

Avatin
04-06-2008, 01:46
yes, that would be cool, but almost too much like xbox live. Those screaming 12 year olds scare me:huh:

Well, you are completely right! I don't want yelling kids in my ears either! Some people in this thread suggested "muting buttons"; I think it could probably work. Or, you know, maybe on the opposite you could just invite the people you want in your audio log. Something like that. You are in an area, playing with a couple of persons since a few minutes? You just right click on them to send an invite. Would be easier this way than TS or Ventrilo...

Tru Reptile
04-06-2008, 07:24
Just have a speaker icon next to each persons name. If someone gets annoying just click that persons speaker icon and boom, problem solved. Nice and simple.

sorudo
04-06-2008, 18:15
Just have a speaker icon next to each persons name. If someone gets annoying just click that persons speaker icon and boom, problem solved. Nice and simple.
or, you know, no voice from the beginning, problem solved.

Tru Reptile
04-06-2008, 18:52
or, you know, no voice from the beginning, problem solved.

Or, you know, you could use the keyboard if you QQ about using voice chat. Problem solved.

Raiala
04-06-2008, 19:03
Just a toggle box to turn it on/off? While it's off, you can't hear anyone and can't talk to others. When on, you can. So simple.
But still, in-game voice chats usually have so low quality of sounds, that it's still better to use TS or vent.

Branskins
05-06-2008, 00:47
They have been talking about this forever. I am willing to bet that we will see some form of integrated voice chat in GW2 :)

sorudo
05-06-2008, 16:33
Or, you know, you could use the keyboard if you QQ about using voice chat. Problem solved.
or, you know, use the keyboard from the beginning if you're QQ about ppl who think outside the one side box....problem solved.

Tru Reptile
05-06-2008, 17:54
Seriously, WTF are you talking about? :huh:

Akirai Annuvil
06-06-2008, 00:20
Seriously, WTF are you talking about? :huh:

It's sorudo. Do not try and comprehend.

markparagon
10-09-2008, 11:10

The Boz
10-09-2008, 11:27
Text for... what? Wikispeak again?

markparagon
10-09-2008, 11:44

The Boz
10-09-2008, 11:53
Will someone PLEASE explain why is this gentleman abusing the most holy prefix of "wiki" to name his incomprehensible blabber?

Jair of the Forest
10-09-2008, 12:26
I don't get it either.

Nemeon Lion
10-09-2008, 12:48
Will someone PLEASE explain why is this gentleman abusing the most holy prefix of "wiki" to name his incomprehensible blabber?

One word: "Troll"

I have spoken!

DarkWasp
10-09-2008, 16:36
I believe hes bumping the thread, this was after he got linked here from his own thread about voice chat.

My opinion though? No voice chat, it kills the atmosphere. (Except in PvP where competition is the atmosphere)

Shinryu
10-09-2008, 21:13
I think its a neat idea.

kaede
10-09-2008, 21:59
My opinion though? No voice chat, it kills the atmosphere. (Except in PvP where competition is the atmosphere)

just turn it off? :/

I'm all for an in game voice chat! but it should be separated like the chat is; whisper/guild/team/(all/local).
I usually run skype in the background for this, but then that restricts me to just my GW-playing skype contacts... which are very few.

raspberry jam
11-09-2008, 10:34
While I think that GW2 will have built-in voice chat, I'd rather see that it doesn't. Though the minimum intelligence requirement and work effort involved in being able to download and operate a Ventrilo client isn't big, it's at least something, and requiring it would weed out the very worst idiots (for example, as reppoh kered mentioned, xbox live is a perfect example, both of 12-year-olds abusing voice chat and morons who require you to have a mic plugged in or they'll, to put it mildly, vehemently protest - no matter if what you are doing actually requires communication or not).

To be honest, I'd rather see a better targeting/calling interface, perhaps with shortcut keys for issuing team orders and/or WoW-style "raid icons". And being able to reorder the party list without having to kick/reinvite people.

11111111111111111111111111111111I agree.

Simply Kedde
11-09-2008, 12:42
Just ban this moron imo.. No matter how entertaining it can be to watch the sheer stupidity in his posts a bad troll like this is just annoying.

Wethospu
11-09-2008, 13:14
I'm all for both suggestions.

Features are good and I'm sure they will do them nicely.

DarkWasp
11-09-2008, 16:08
While I think that GW2 will have built-in voice chat, I'd rather see that it doesn't. Though the minimum intelligence requirement and work effort involved in being able to download and operate a Ventrilo client isn't big, it's at least something, and requiring it would weed out the very worst idiots (for example, as reppoh kered mentioned, xbox live is a perfect example, both of 12-year-olds abusing voice chat and morons who require you to have a mic plugged in or they'll, to put it mildly, vehemently protest - no matter if what you are doing actually requires communication or not).

To be honest, I'd rather see a better targeting/calling interface, perhaps with shortcut keys for issuing team orders and/or WoW-style "raid icons". And being able to reorder the party list without having to kick/reinvite people.

Yeah this is what im thinking. It would double the "GLFM need monk and ranger (VC Only)" rate.

Simply Kedde
11-09-2008, 16:11
I need more buttons on my keyboard for all those binds. It's not like there are enough even now :(