PDA

View Full Version : which profession do you want to see?

sorudo
29-05-2008, 18:39
this is not a topic full of discussions about which profession is better to take, it's what you want to see in GW2, nothing more.

so to continue, i would like to see something with real melee, or to put it simple, no weapons a.k.a unarmed.
one would say a martial artist, while others would like to see one with one or more styles.
IMO it should be a choice, maybe something like a line of trainers that train you styles.
the basic style is jujitsu, it's in almost every martial art style so it's only logical.
after you're done training that, you can choose between 4 styles:
-kong fu
-karate
-taijitsu
-wing chun

after choosing one of the styles, you can fight in that style and use it's advantages.
this does mean that you will only be able to learn any other style after you have " mastered" the current style.(you can do that by requiring all the normal skills of that style, the "master" title will then be full)
so this means that you have to do with that one style till you are a master, after that you can just look up to what you want to learn.
do know that, even while it's one profession, you can never use more then one style in a combo.(exept for jujitsu that is.)
so even while it works a bit like an assassin, you can't connect one style with the other.

now it's your turn......i think i got a bit overboard with my idea:P

Flamefang of Arnor
29-05-2008, 19:30
Actually i think this idea is cool but being a ranger I don't know much of the melee classes and that but thats a very interesting idea. what if each individual skill could gain attack power ever time its used as in a sort of level system for each.... the only problem with your idea is that most martial arts can actually defeat and untrained opponent with a few moves and i doubt an ele or ranger would use any "blocks" or whatever allowing them to be killed or disable in a few moves.... in real life anyway... also such forms of martial arts would come from Cantha most likely and well it is currently strictly isolationist not to mention the corsairs and evil dragon minion ships and stuff... so good idea but maybe not plausible....

~Flamefang of Arnor

sorudo
29-05-2008, 21:22
well, if you look correctly in the history of eve, the only place where necro's are born is in tyria, but cantha also has necro's everywhere.
so within this 250 years, skills could come over from place to place.
in RL that already happen, so it would be no weird idea to have this in GW.

Akirai Annuvil
29-05-2008, 21:33
the basic style is jujitsu, it's in almost every martial art style so it's only logical.
Every Eastern martial arts style.

Ranger, Warrior, Elementalist, Mesmer, Monk.
1 additional slightly defensive midline.
1 additional split focused character (preferably melee).
Exact profession design is useless at this point anyway.

Dark Wolf
29-05-2008, 22:08
I want to see, untouched:

- Mesmer
- Ritualist

MiatheHierophant
30-05-2008, 02:51
I would like to see something of a thief or vagabond. Here are a couple of ideas:

1. No lockpicks? bring a thief...they have up to (X)% chance of opening a chest with a "lockpick" skill, and if they do, everyone gets something...

2. Certain skills might cause mobs to drop (X)% more gold for (Y) seconds if they die within that time...

3. Stealth skills to "see" traps and treasures

4. Ability to "hide" with (X)% chance of losing aggro for (Y) seconds

5. Give us some "ugly" faces. Not everyone should be cover models...

Anyways, it may not be a great idea, but I think it would be fun.

Arkhan The Black
30-05-2008, 04:07
Necromancer and Paragon, to hell with the rest!

En NaNa
30-05-2008, 05:29
I would like to see something of a thief or vagabond.[...]

I LOVE this idea! That'd be awesome to have a thief like character, and this combined with the interactive weather or day and night changes thieves could increase their rates for lockpicking and hiding during the night.

Scott the Green
30-05-2008, 05:32
I want a bard. A real bard, not an armoured shouting guy in a skirt. I want instruments that have different effects on different enemies. I want songs to raise morale, songs to improve my teammates' abilities, songs to lament the dead and strike fear in my enemies.

I want to deliver the pre-battle speech that turns the tables. I want to hang out in the tavern, make everybody my friend, and not buy a drink all night. I want to have the perfect story for every occasion, and the right words to sway even the most hostile of enemies to my side.

Or at least a floppy hat.

Derrick the Nomad
30-05-2008, 05:36
thief class sounds really cool.

I would really like to see the Golemacer class.

Dark Wolf
30-05-2008, 05:52
I want a bard. A real bard, not an armoured shouting guy in a skirt. I want instruments that have different effects on different enemies. I want songs to raise morale, songs to improve my teammates' abilities, songs to lament the dead and strike fear in my enemies.

I want to deliver the pre-battle speech that turns the tables. I want to hang out in the tavern, make everybody my friend, and not buy a drink all night. I want to have the perfect story for every occasion, and the right words to sway even the most hostile of enemies to my side.

That looks a lot like the minstrel in LOTRO. The minstrel only has a small guitar but each "song"/skill plays a different music. There are songs to do damages, raises stats, raise morale (there is no HP in LOTRO, just morale), songs to scare certain ennemies and also song to revive the dead players. The songs are usually really short but the one that resurrect is long.

http://www.lotro.com/article/65

I really like the class personaly and it fits with the concept of morale in LOTRO instead of HP, so minstrel raises the team's morale, there is no death but retreat, some mobs like the Nazguls cause dread and minstrel can take away the dread. In GW tough, it's HP the system, and it will probably be the case for GW2.

raspberry jam
30-05-2008, 06:43
1 additional slightly defensive midline.
1 additional split focused character (preferably melee).An odd number of professions? No.

Zsig
31-05-2008, 18:28

Or at least a floppy hat.

Amen!

I mean, I love the Paragon, but if only they could have the mesmer's style...

As Dark Wolf pointed, that's like the Minstrel. And I have to say that the Minstrel was the only reason that kept me playing that game for more than a week. Really, to me it was the only thing worth on LotR. (Entering that tavern in Bree and meeting another Minstrel playing a song from Ocarina of Time on his harp was simply amazing)

Scott the Green
31-05-2008, 19:08
Hm, I might have to give LOTRO a try.

Sphinxtus Maximus
02-06-2008, 12:33
Some humble suggestions...

The Alchemist
We have "black powder" already, so how about a character who
doesn't use magic or use energy points to cast spells, but
instead uses "items" stashed in their backpack (similiar to the
consumables available in EotN)

So an Alchemist's skill bar is loaded with items stored in their
backpack (with obvious limits to avoid abuse) and they lob
or hurl these at opponents (grenades, chemical acids, etc)

I quite like the Adrenaline system for warriors and would like
to see more different types of skill activation for the
different professions.

Asuran Minion Master

Instead of minions, rezzs up Golems (or mini-golems). When
these golem minions "die", they simply shutdown instead.
Each golem minion maintained costs 1 energy recovery pip.
Rezzing shutdown golems also cost energy etc.

Perhaps different types of mini golems? Healers, shielders,
fighters, blockers (to form choke points), formations? etc...

Although it's "Asuran" Minion Master, the profession is not
restricted only to Asurans! :afro: Perhaps your human Asuran
Minion Master character was trained by a Asuran, etc.

Nuggets for thought.:rolleyes:

dark3
02-06-2008, 13:11
I'd like to see a "shapeshifter" kind of class, but I suppose we won't see anything like that as we already have the norn bear form and such... heh

Other than that, I'd like to be able to play a Rit also in GW2.. and golemancer would be interesting, yes(and imho it's very likely to be among the classes we'll see) :smiley:

sorudo
02-06-2008, 16:26
a time controller, just curious how that would look like:P

Sir Jack
02-06-2008, 17:06

+ Necromancer

That's really all I care about...the 4 other classes we have now are all fine and dandy but each of them has issues that need solving first.

a time controller, just curious how that would look like:P

Mesmer: You cast lower, you move slower, etc...
What more time control would there be?

sorudo
02-06-2008, 18:00
Mesmer: You cast lower, you move slower, etc...
What more time control would there be?
a mesmer is a horse riding lowlife with unfair hexes, not a time controller.
i'm talking about the one that can control time it self, one that can make him and team mates faster and put some monsters in a time barrier, not a hexer that putt's a weakness in an enemy.
that's a time controller, not a mesmer.

Akirai Annuvil
02-06-2008, 18:25
http://ps3.themanroom.com/images/ps3/controller.jpg

Controller. ^
I'd rather not see the necro to be honest. Besides wail of doom I can't think of any support skill of theirs that I like.

raspberry jam
02-06-2008, 18:28
i'm talking about the one that can control time it self, one that can make him and team mates faster and put some monsters in a time barrier, not a hexer that putt's a weakness in an enemy.
that's a time controller, not a mesmer.Unfortunately since it's not a single player game, that would require the dev team at ANet to write code that influences real-world time.

They might be good programmers, but they are not that good.

Sir Jack
02-06-2008, 19:46
I'd rather not see the necro to be honest. Besides wail of doom I can't think of any support skill of theirs that I like.

PvE only class then. I <3 my Necro...Minions = fun. (and that is why Minion cap = fun cap <.<)
It's capabilities in PvP after the series of nerfs are close to non-existant though. However, GW2 might allow them to rebalance the entire Necro class by putting SR on par with the other attributes and not horrendously abusable like the original version, while still remaining functionality.

That's actually a problem for GW2, if they scratch existing classes, fans of those classes might get pissed. If they change classes too much so it basically becomes a different class, people will get pissed.

that's a time controller, not a mesmer.

You mean like "Charge!"? Or Ebon Vanguard Banner of Wisdom? Frustration/Migraine? Imagined Burden? Oh yeah, you can totally make an entire class around that and make it balanced.
Or you could realise all this is already in the game and rather balanced...

sorudo
02-06-2008, 20:44
sigh, no use explaining the obvious to non-obvious ppl.....

Dusklore
03-06-2008, 01:42
sigh, no use explaining the obvious to non-obvious ppl.....

perhaps ur think of a Chronomancer. they were mentioned to be put in guild wars utopia. u can find that page here. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Utopia
time controllers oohh

Ace Bear
03-06-2008, 03:25
I'd like to see a "shapeshifter" kind of class, but I suppose we won't see anything like that as we already have the norn bear form and such... heh
Bear form is just what we have seen in EOTN. But the norn do worship other animals. I wouldn't be extremely surprised if we got to turn into more then just the Bears.

My personal preference would be a Berserker type class.

kyln
03-06-2008, 07:08
I don't want professions at all.

I would prefer a system of attributes, where characters choose between attributes (maybe make some mutually exclusive, like elite skills, so you could essentially choose one primary attribute and put points into any others that you might have, but not Fast Casting and Energy Storage at the same time.)

If Anet continues the trend of encouraging one main character, than I want that character to be extremely flexible. Need a healer for a group? No problem, let me change attributes and skills and switch out my armor and items, no longer a Physical frontliner, now a healer.

Tru Reptile
03-06-2008, 07:28
I don't want professions at all.

I've always liked the idea of a professionless system. It would give the users more creativity by allowing them to play with different attributes and perhaps create something new. I don't see that happening for GW2 though, so if I had to choose what I'd like to see, I'd pick Beastmaster.

If Anet continues the trend of encouraging one main character, than I want that character to be extremely flexible. Need a healer for a group? No problem, let me change attributes and skills and switch out my armor and items, no longer a Physical frontliner, now a healer.

If I were a betting man, I'd say we'll be able to change primary professions in GW2.

kyln
03-06-2008, 07:33
If I were a betting man, I'd say we'll be able to change primary professions in GW2.

I have often wondered if the rumors of Razah being variable primary profession were true and that the difficulty of trying to do it was one of the reasons behind moving onto GW2.

Sorry that was kind of off topic, but I agree, even primary professions (if they have them) will likely be changeable.

Advocate Rhino
03-06-2008, 08:51
I really, really want to see Paragons. I will be very sad if we don't have any =(

The Mordant Crescent should use boomerangs :D

Edit: When it comes to necros, they just need some way to produce minions without having dead bodies around. Maybe they could summon dead bodies like Kabuto in Naruto and then do... things... with them.

Jair of the Forest
03-06-2008, 16:39
I want a couple of classes that would be a bit technology dependent like Golemancers and Engineers. Those would be great for Asura's.

BlueHeaven
03-06-2008, 17:38
There should be no professions so it will be balanced. Everyone should have the sam 6 skills:
Move Forwards
Move Backwards
Move Left
Move Right
Attack
Block (you can not block while attacking)

Jair of the Forest
03-06-2008, 19:35
There should be no professions so it will be balanced. Everyone should have the sam 6 skills:
Move Forwards
Move Backwards
Move Left
Move Right
Attack

Lol, you mean like this?
http://www.runescape.com/

sorudo
04-06-2008, 18:12
Move Forwards
Move Backwards
Move Left
Move Right
Attack
then why are you playing gw :tongue: