PDA

View Full Version : Postman Pat and his Black and White Moa

nudge
19-06-2008, 09:45
You all may of noticed that GW1 lacks a mail system.

This has caused a bit of pain in the past. All I wanted to do was to get a nice gold scythe to a friend at work. It was just we where never logged on at the same time. Personally I think it would be nice if there was a mail system in GW2. And we can make it a little interesting.

Let us assume our postmen cannot simply map travel the packages all around the place, and due to a contractual dispute the Xulian are playing hardball. Mail has to be physically delivered from town to town.

( Don't have time to write a complete description. Sorry. Please fill in the gaps yourself :smiley: )

Mail is deposited and postage is paid. Quests are created to deliver this mail to the nearest cities. Successful delivery results in payment of the postage for that bundle of mail. Mail propagates via flood fill algorithm. This provides for a nice "realistic" time delay. Easy quest in easy areas, hard quest in hard areas.

Jair of the Forest
19-06-2008, 10:00
Great idea!
And an auction house, please.

Lamuness
19-06-2008, 12:07
So you would like having little mail gremlins sending your emails too? Wait, how about the message you are about to post later? They won't get there until 5 days later because gremlins have short legs so they can't run at great strides.

A mail system is a good idea, have a 1hr delay, and be done with it. Unless it's a specific quest from an NPC, mail carrier would be pretty boring to do all the time. Suppose no one wanted to do that, no one would get mail.

nudge
19-06-2008, 12:29
Unless it's a specific quest from an NPC, mail carrier would be pretty boring to do all the time. Suppose no one wanted to do that, no one would get mail.

You go to the post office and ask for a quest to deliver mail to cities (not individuals). Individuals go the post office in the cities to pick up their mail.

As the mail backlogs, the amount of money received for delivering it also increases. Someone will soon find it worthwhile to deliver.

People do FFF now. And people do running. A solo runner will not have to share the postage.

raspberry jam
19-06-2008, 12:53
If you want to have a mail system why not just a mail system where the package is auto delivered immediately and to no cost?

Or hey, I have an even better idea: pipe slots. Allow people to assign storage chest slots as shared with player X. Then you could just dump that scythe in that slot, and your friend could just come pick it up. This would take no extra server space (except for remembering that you share a slot with a certain player), wouldn't be disrupted or delayed if no one wanted to do mail quests, and would not be a gold siphon.

MiatheHierophant
19-06-2008, 13:20
I kind of like the idea of a "Post Office" for exchanging items. The one I envision would be tied to your storage as well. Talk to a Xunlai Agent. You put the item in a special slot, pay the1K(whatever) to have it sent, type in the name of the person it's going to, and then a message pops up in your friend's chat window that "You have mail" or something. Then your friend goes to the Xunlai Agent, clicky on the mail tab and presto...there's the item.

Tom Nook
19-06-2008, 13:50
Interesting.
FedEx quests that literally are, FedEx quests.

I like it. :smiley:

drox
19-06-2008, 21:55
if mail takes ages to send, it would mean that the xunlai service would also take that long to get from town to town. instead i would prefer a system like MiatheHierophant suggested

Kalidri
19-06-2008, 22:20
This makes me think of my old MUD days. We had services for sending flowers, sympathy cards (for those times when you got killed and lost 10% of your xp and skills), chocolates, valentine cards and so forth. Plain old messages to each other were instant, but items had a slight delay (and a mail carrier NPC would appear with the item). Of course, GW could do a bit more, we made do with ascii art!

sorudo
19-06-2008, 23:27
i like to have it instant, even if it's an item.
i don't like to wait for an item till the NPC/player has done the mail, if i sent one, it should be exactly at the time i push the "send" button.

MiatheHierophant
20-06-2008, 05:02
This makes me think of my old MUD days. We had services for sending flowers, sympathy cards (for those times when you got killed and lost 10% of your xp and skills), chocolates, valentine cards and so forth. Plain old messages to each other were instant, but items had a slight delay (and a mail carrier NPC would appear with the item). Of course, GW could do a bit more, we made do with ascii art!

Gee...you're almost as old as I am...:flowers:

Tom Nook
20-06-2008, 14:46
I had to look up MUD. :hide:

Warmarshal
20-06-2008, 15:45
Sorudo, we can't all get what we want. Constructive criticism is nice but pure negativety sounds moody and nasty so cut it out.

Anywayz... nice idea I love it. Auction house and hair dresser and I'll be happy :P

Flamefang of Arnor
20-06-2008, 18:05
I really like the idea of sending mail and especially the post office idea.. it would help give cities a more real feel as well. im not sure who i agree with on the mail delivery system but all the ideas that iv'e seen so far look good. and you should certianly have to pay.... prolly not too much but a nice fee all the same. i can't wait until GW 2!!! :)

sorudo
20-06-2008, 19:56
Sorudo, we can't all get what we want. Constructive criticism is nice but pure negativety sounds moody and nasty so cut it out.
likewise:undecided:

Lamuness
20-06-2008, 20:08

Anywayz... nice idea I love it. Auction house and hair dresser and I'll be happy :P

I don't see anything negative about it :shocked:

But on topic, I like MiatheHierophant's suggestion better. Because I was saying that, I don't think it would be a good idea to have a FedEx quest literally be a FedEx quest. If there was map travel, taking a letter from say, Lion's Arch to wherever in the world would be a click away, and that would defeat the purpose. As if we already didn't have enough NPC FedEx quests either.

raspberry jam
20-06-2008, 20:39

Anywayz... nice idea I love it. Auction house and hair dresser and I'll be happy :PSaying that you want such things to be instant and at no cost isn't negativity.

nudge
21-06-2008, 02:21
Hi all, three modifications to the original idea.

We have to guard Postman Pat and his Black and White Moa between the cities. Rather than FFF the mail ourselves. This means a solo runner cannot handle the mission alone. In some places this might require a well co-ordinated team.

Where as the the Xulian mail is convenient, it really lacks what might be called flavour, or the immersion factor.

If Postman Pat is the definitive FedEx quest, it will hopefully stop the game designers from adding any other FedEx quests (as that opportunity is gone). That is, force them to make more interesting quests.

Lamuness
21-06-2008, 03:14
If you put it this way, I think it would be better for ANet to use this as a chain of quests, rather than the delivery of real mail that you send to people. Unless of course, if you complete some super elite hard delivery from Ebonhawke to Cantha or something, and everyone who happens to be in that town gets, say, 1k gold or something, then that would be cool. Definately can be repeatable, and between "random" (of course scripted) towns complete with bosses and the like, but it would fit better as a regular quest.

Sunbane
21-06-2008, 14:26
I have thought of this for a bit, and finally decided that I like the suggestion. However, I'm wondering how well this idea would sit in a world of map travelling. It would be much more convenient for players to find a place to meet up and trade the items without delay, so the feature may not be widely used. However, if they'd remove map travel in GW2, it would suddenly serve a real purpose.

I'm personally for the removal of map travel in exchange for immersion, but I do agree that map travel is very handy, and that it reinforces the game's casual-friendliness.

I think I like the MUD-flavored version though, where messages are instant, and items would take a while. In-game, you could let the messaging be represented by agents with mail pigeons for example, and when you're in an outpost, you can check with the agent to see if there are any messages for you. The items would have to be shipped, and this is where guarded convoys come in.

To earn a living for your character, you could then take the repeatable quest of defending the convoy from raiding bandit troops, and join a party of convoy guards. In a PvP-setting, another party might take a quest from the bandit leader to hide along the routes and raid convoys as they pass (although this would also make them fair game for anyone else in the instance). :laugh:

sorudo
21-06-2008, 22:53
they can always make quest like that, it's just a bad idea to connect it to real-time items.

raspberry jam
22-06-2008, 00:47
Sorry to be rude about it, but I hope none of you ever will work as game designers.

What we have here is two people who want to transfer an item between each other. You guys just want to make is as hard as possible for them to do so. They have to trust in complete strangers to do a quest or whatever, and possibly pay money for it.

Please before you suggest such things, ask yourselves these three questions:

Would I want to use this?
Would I want to use all parts/aspects of it?
Would "anyone else"?

Each of these questions have a reason for it and if you allow yourself to be guided by the answers of them your game will be much better than if you don't.

sorudo
22-06-2008, 00:58
i am one...that's why i'm against it, i already see the problem here.

nudge
22-06-2008, 07:15
I hope none of you ever will work as game designers.

Don't worry, there's no danger of that. :grin:
They are only ideas. Promise they won't hurt.

What we have here is two people who want to transfer an item between each other. You guys just want to make is as hard as possible for them to do so. They have to trust in complete strangers to do a quest or whatever, and possibly pay money for it.

So far we have:

No mail system
Mail system with instant delivery.
Mail system with delayed delivery.
Mail system with success of player action quest to either deliver, or guard delivery. Player rewarded with cash (postage) and/or faction (working for Her Majesty's Postal Service).

The first 3 cases don't have any opportunity to add depth to the game. Let's explore the last a bit more.

We can assume that at any point there any number of people engaged in FFF right now in GW1, likewise there would be any number of people engaged in "PostalFFF". If the success of any one of these individuals/groups delivers all mail between the two towns in question. Then there can be no significant delay in postal delivery.

In a world PvP type environment we already know players will not drop their own weapons when killed, but something representative of what they are carrying. Likewise Postman Pat can drop something representative of what he is carrying. Making him both a worthwhile target for attack and defence.

One would imagine that the postal route becomes a strategic asset in a PVP world. Not as important as holding towns, transportation monoliths, rez-shrines etc, but still an asset.

In addition, if no-one wants to go with Pat, he might wander off on his route by himself. We can assume that between his "going postal" skills and his Moa he can take care of himself on a "normal day". He will be just another fellow crossing the instance, following the road. Add a bit of character to the game.

Sunbane
22-06-2008, 11:56

Not necessarily. The way I envisioned it, was that the real items would arrive at the destination in any case (independently of the outcome of the convoy quest)...but now that I read back, I see that I failed to mention it.

4. Mail system with success of player action quest to either deliver, or guard delivery. Player rewarded with cash (postage) and/or faction (working for Her Majesty's Postal Service).

Despite its impracticality, I think Nudge's option 4 would create interesting game dynamics. What if some guilds or alliances would become engaged in, and start working to ensure safe postal deliveries? That would be kind of cool. =)

But yeah, as a game mechanism it would probably be too unreliable for people to use, so I would probably vote for option 3 myself. It would suck to have a stack of ectos stuck in a Shiverpeaks post office, or "lost in transit". :laughing:

Bravo
22-06-2008, 13:44
Option 2 is already satisfied by there being any sort of map travel, since if both parties need the goods instantly, and are in a position to trade instantly then why would they bother using the postal service, you would just meet each other at an agreed spot; trade the item and both go on your merry way.

The only reason someone would want to use the postal service is if:

1) 'seller' is online and 'buyer' is offline.
2) 'seller' is online and 'buyer' is online but deeply engrossed in something (e.g. the GW2 equivalent to hall of heroes), 'seller' wants to go do something else rather than wait for 'buyer' to be in a position to trade.
3) characters are from different campaigns (assuming same business model as GW1) and cannot otherwise interact (except for the equivalent of the great temple of balthazar).

Lamuness
23-06-2008, 20:29
i am one...that's why i'm against it, i already see the problem here.

I am one too. And that's why I'm against it as well.

It seems like in this discussion forum there's people that want to make the game harder than it should be just for the sake of doing stuff, and not thinking things through like, would it REALLY be fun, and worthwhile to do so.

Drec Sutal
24-06-2008, 03:05
I seem to recall that there was something about the way in which items are stored in GW1 that absolutely prevents anyone touching them when you aren't logged on. This means no mail, no auction, and no restoring lost items.

I strongly suspect that after the insane number of requests for these features that the first two will make it into GW2. Possibly also a recycle bin for deleted characters and a special method of deleting items you choose to mark as your own (as in completely different, not just a confirmation box), but I doubt restoration of individual items.

Erm, back on topic... I'd guess there will be a mail system in GW2 but that if it requires a quest it will be a one-time thing done by you to activate the mail system.

raspberry jam
24-06-2008, 07:53
I'd guess there will be a mail system in GW2 but that if it requires a quest it will be a one-time thing done by you to activate the mail system.This, on the other hand, sounds like a good idea.

Tro
25-06-2008, 22:34
Great idea!
And an auction house, please.

And Mounts and Large 50 man Raids.

Oh Yeah,,, lets not forget Large Scale World PvP with Siege Weapons.

Shoulder Part anybody?

Rings and Neck pieces ?

trinkets?

2Hand Swords?

Duel Wield Swords, Maces, and Axes? (OH YEAH!!!!!!!11One!!)

2Hand Axes?

More Combat Skills that could be used at a time or another?

I want it all!!!!

Renn the Dreamer
26-06-2008, 00:03
And Mounts and Large 50 man Raids.

No raids, for the love.. just no

Oh Yeah,,, lets not forget Large Scale World PvP with Siege Weapons.

That would be cool

Shoulder Part anybody?

Only if they're not outrageous like WoW

Rings and Neck pieces ?

trinkets?

2Hand Swords?

Duel Wield Swords, Maces, and Axes? (OH YEAH!!!!!!!11One!!)

2Hand Axes?

Ehh, sure, options can't be bad

More Combat Skills that could be used at a time or another?

Aren't there enough skills already? o_O

Lamuness
26-06-2008, 01:39
I see the sarcasm, but once again Tro, go back to WoW :rolleyes: