PDA

View Full Version : Who's Switching to Guild Wars 2? (Note: PLEASE ONLY VOTE ONCE)

bisurge
21-06-2008, 07:56
Who is switching to Guild Wars 2?

There's several reasons to switch. Let's list them:

1. better graphics
2. you get to play as different races, who wouldn't want to be a charr?
3. finally you can jump
4. your spells apparently change the environment (at least for a short while), PBAoE here I come!
5. much more balanced classes and less nerfs
6. PvP to a larger scale

But there's also reasons not to:

1. GW 2 is all about spawn camping and grinding, and we were so excited when ANet first announced they were going to "kill the boredom of spawn camping"
2. apparently minion masters are in for a huge nerf
3. it's $40+; who'd want to pay that?
4. no more heroes
5. no more henchies
6. KSING (maybe it's "whoever attacks it first gets it", but remember: long range+fast cast, I.E. Quick Shot or some other fast spell = KS)

So I think:
If you like graphics, PvP, and little things like jumping, then go for it.
If you don't like spawn camping or grinding, and let's face it, there are free games better than GW, just more boring due to the grinding stated earlier, then don't switch.

Personally, I'm not switching.

EDIT: Sorry I accidentally made it a multiple choice poll. PLEASE ONLY VOTE ONCE!

Vana
21-06-2008, 08:55
I must have missed the part where you said they were making a game that's "all about spawn camping and grinding". Could you please direct me to an official word on that?

Jair of the Forest
21-06-2008, 09:15
I don't know yet, we barely know anything of GW2.

dark3
21-06-2008, 10:39
I must have missed the part where you said they were making a game that's "all about spawn camping and grinding". Could you please direct me to an official word on that?

I think I missed it too... and I think I also missed the part about no more heroes/henchies(unless you intend it litterally, of course)... anyways I'm switching. Even if I don't know anything bout GW2 I'm still sure I'm switching. Why? Well because the only thing I have left to do in GW1 is grinding all those "buy this" titles(i.e. sweets, alcohol, golds, Z-keys, chest-keys etc.) which is not my idea of fun, more like waste of time in front of a pc.. :laugh:

sorudo
21-06-2008, 11:14
ill first play the GW2 beta, then i can tell for sure.

Freaksister Yum
21-06-2008, 12:13
I would have liked an extra option, cause even though i intend to play GW2 i will probably still play the GW1 aswell.

Oliver
21-06-2008, 12:33
Isn't it too early for this kind of poll ? I believe a poll similiar to this was done months ago. Without any detail from ANET about GW2, any kind of vote here is meaningless.

Tom Nook
21-06-2008, 12:42
This poll needs a pie option.

Sunbane
21-06-2008, 13:47
This poll needs a pie option.

QFT. It's also interesting to note that ALL negative points build upon pure speculation. I believe the only things that ANet have announced are these:

2. you get to play as different races...
6. PvP to a larger scale

I will definitely try GW2, unless I would see early on that it isn't my thing. ANet has promised to build a game that is going to be everything that GW wanted to be, but couldn't. Sounds like they have something good brewing, if you ask me. But...only time will tell how well it turns out.

I think making a sequel is the right way to go too. We've played through three chapters and an expansion, playing GW since 2005. Most of us have "had our fill" of GW, and are longing for something fresh and new.

raspberry jam
21-06-2008, 14:22
What kind of stupid poll is this? No one has actually seen GW2 yet.

I'll buy GW2 (because my life will be better if I do), if I like it I'll probably play both for a while and then stop playing GW1. If I don't like it I'll probably play GW1 some more and then go play something else entirely.

burningmice
21-06-2008, 16:37
Ill probably still play Guild Wars 1 but will definatly play Guild Wars 2

Mister Smartypants
21-06-2008, 19:42
There's not an option that suits me so I can't vote.

I will definitely buy GW2 (unless I get into the alpha/beta and everything about the gameplay sucks, in which case I won't bother, but if it's anything like the original GW I'm sure I'll like it). I may or may not keep playing it once I've bought it and tried it. I may or may not keep playing GW1 once I've tried GW2. Far too early to say.

Vilu
21-06-2008, 20:19
[x] Yes, if the game wont be too much different, there is a reason why i play GW and if they wont take it away i will "move" to GW2.

[x] No, If they change it too much and it wont be GW anymore. For me GW is unique MMO and don't want it to be turned into WoW clone.

I did not vote as whatever i will move to GW2 or not will be based on what GW2 will be. There is a change that i will continue playing both.

Edit:
Yes, i will be buying GW2. But it's different story will i keep playing or even totaly move to it.

Karn the Betrayer
21-06-2008, 20:25
dude you realise GW2 aint out yet?

tommynj
21-06-2008, 21:30
Ofcourse I'll be playing GW2. Playing GW1 still but once GW2 is out there is no looking back. I'll miss the good ole times in GW1 but I'll just have to make new ones in GW2.

bisurge
22-06-2008, 01:48

There will be changes to the instancing system used. Persistent areas, similar to those traditionally used in other online multiplayer games, will be introduced to Guild Wars which may allow players to meet and interact while exploring.

I'm pretty sure you have to spawn camp so nobody else will take your kills. I mean, that's what we do in all the other MMORPGs.

EDIT: Here's a link (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2). Check under the section "Persistence".

Sunbane
22-06-2008, 10:31
I'm pretty sure you have to spawn camp so nobody else will take your kills. I mean, that's what we do in all the other MMORPGs.

EDIT: Here's a link (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2). Check under the section "Persistence".

We don't know yet how they will implement it. They may put a tight limit on the number of parties in a zone, to prevent overcrowding. However, it's probably a correct assumption that there will be grievers. There always are.

DutchSmurf
22-06-2008, 14:04

Just because that is how other MMORPGs do it, doesn't mean Anet will make it exactly the same. Until we get to see what they made in a beta, there isn't a way to tell. So I voted for the only thing that suits me at the moment, both yes and no.

Sohos
22-06-2008, 14:35
5. no more henchies

But whatever shall we do without our ubermonk Alesia...?

I'm switching, if only because i want to find out how the story progresses... ...and i want to kill some dragons...

kookkamajunga
22-06-2008, 17:41

How can you make that assumption with so little information on a game?

anywho, I'll most likely switch

krattos
22-06-2008, 17:47
Without a doubt I'll move to Guild Wars 2 when it's released as it's the next game in the Guild Wars franchise.

Lore Dana
23-06-2008, 01:48
I will try it, just because I like GW very much. If I don't like it I wont play it, that's all.

Corwin Andros
23-06-2008, 07:03
I'll likely be playing both.. They are going to be sufficiently different enough that playing both should still be a lot of fun.

Asbjornsalech
23-06-2008, 07:36
if there's no hero's or henchies, then i'm gonna buy it! I stopped playing after hero's were introduced, it killed the social aspect.

raspberry jam
23-06-2008, 07:51
if there's no hero's or henchies, then i'm gonna buy it! I stopped playing after hero's were introduced, it killed the social aspect.That's true, but not having henchies also kills the choice. I don't think its a 100% positive thing.

Akirai Annuvil
23-06-2008, 16:58
This is so retarded that I voted yes and no. Nothing quite like rigging bad polls.

Sir Jack
23-06-2008, 17:18
Voted yes and no as well. I'll probably be playing GW2 but it's likely I'll play some GW as well.

Ugly Betty
23-06-2008, 18:36
i agree. this poll is retarded. GW2 is a long way's off. maybe fall '09 or as far as fall 2010. with the recession i'm guessing the latter. - yes boys and girls, there's a major recession going on that may ultimately decide what the whole country will be doing in 2 years. a better poll would have asked, "what new game - if any - will you be playing 2 years from now?"

BlueHeaven
23-06-2008, 21:09
I don't see how buying and playing GW2 would be any different than buying and playing a new Campaign, or any other game. Eventually, even your favorite games get boring.

DarkWasp
23-06-2008, 21:38
If ArenaNet does atleast as good as they did on GW1, then these people who voted no are going to have to eat their words or miss out alltogether.

You can put your scuba gear on, but don't jump out of the boat untill its in the water.

Alaris
23-06-2008, 22:40
I'm switching, and here's why.

1. races
2. world pvp
3. new skills & classes, cuz it gets old playing the same builds
4. solo content, and persistence
5. much of what made GW a success is staying (builds, instances, dual-classing)
6. so much more

PS: your fears about spawn camping, KSING, and grind are unfounded. We don't know yet how GW2 will handle these issues, but at least ANet is aware of these issues, and have shown that they are at least willing to find solutions to them.

As for 40$, I'd pay it whether it was GW2 or an expansion.

Drec Sutal
24-06-2008, 01:41
Who is switching to Guild Wars 2?

There's several reasons to switch. Let's list them:

1. better graphics

I find the graphics in GW to be plenty. I suspect that in GW2 the graphics may be *different* but not really better or worse. I suspect they'll spend the time and storage space to make about the same graphics, maybe slightly better, in a way that allows more action in your current area for the same processor cost. This tends to manifest as fewer polygons and higher resolution textures.

2. you get to play as different races, who wouldn't want to be a charr?

Woo different races? This isn't a big one for me. More skins is great, one more unchangeable option means more intereting min-maxing options but also a smaller percent of the options available to each person at any given time. This is especially painful in min-maxed builds... what happens when the new 55 monk has to be a char while healing is best done on an asura, which is what your monk is?

I think the best way to "fix" that is to allow *primary* professions to change. It seems to me armor shouldn't really be an issue since obviously the same person can use the same armor whatever their job, especially since you can use any skill in any armor now through secondary profession. Just give all armor 60 base and give the profession an innate armor bonus or whatever. Then you'll need one of each race instead of one of each race/profession combo.

3. finally you can jump

This ranks up there with "the sky is a more realistic shade of blue" in my book. I suppose it means a little more strategy in kiting, but whatever.

4. your spells apparently change the environment (at least for a short while), PBAoE here I come!

Woo more aesthetic changes? Aesthetics really don't make the difference for me.

5. much more balanced classes and less nerfs

It seems to me that anet will almost certainly do balancing separately for PvP and PvE, and that they'll have some experience to avoid really basic balance issues like the assassin and paragon... but if you think the first year of GW2 isn't going to have more nerfs and less balance then the previous year of GW1 I suspect you're in for a surprise. Besides, PvP balance changes are also intended to keep the meta unstable (so you get flavor of the week instead of flavor of the year) and that's not going to change.

6. PvP to a larger scale

Ah, this is one serious change that if done well will make GW2 better for lots of people. Personally I don't know if I'll like it since the team-based combat in GW1 is really what made it interesting and I find the huge melee that degenerates into a bunch of duels in WoW to be frankly silly....

But there's also reasons not to:

1. GW 2 is all about spawn camping and grinding, and we were so excited when ANet first announced they were going to "kill the boredom of spawn camping"

Last I heard, ANet hadn't announced they were going to "revive the boredom of spawn camping." There are going to be persistent *areas* but I'd be willing to bet anything that seriously required spawn camping would be instanced.

2. apparently minion masters are in for a huge nerf

I assume that you mean it won't be possible to have one person defeat an entire level with his army of minions? I'm not sure why this is bad. Personally I'd assume minons are in for a major *change.* Probably more like flesh golem - making a couple of minor party members instead of the meat-shield + swarm it is now.

3. it's $40+; who'd want to pay that?

I assume you mean in comparison to "nothing" to continue to play GW1. Well, I plan on buying new games eventually, and since you can only play so many hours a day I don't see the fact that GW2 will be an entire new game I have to buy as a serious negative. I mean, that's what... a day's work at minimum wage? If you can't afford that you probably shouldn't be paying for cable internet anyway.

4. no more heroes
5. no more henchies

And being replaced with some other system. I won't judge if this is good or bad until I can try whatever replaces it.

6. KSING (maybe it's "whoever attacks it first gets it", but remember: long range+fast cast, I.E. Quick Shot or some other fast spell = KS)

Why do you assume that either whoever gets the first or the last shot in "gets" the kill? Why can't exp and loot and even quest credit (assuming there are "kill X of Y monster" quests) be shared? Just because everyone else tends to say that a monster/kill is "owned" doesn't mean GW2 will. As I seem to recall in GW1 people who participate in the battle get a share of the credit and a chance at the loot. Will there be people who go around doing a quick shot on every monster who is attacked hoping for that? Yea, probably, but I trust ANet to come up with a fair way to distribute exp that accounts for this and I won't assume they've failed until I see it in action.

And frankly I'd be *really* surprised if they went with a "first/last attack gets it all" system.

In conclusion: it seems to me that most of your positives are at heart 99% aesthetic and 1% functional, and that most of your negatives are grim and unfounded predictions that everything ANet changed from the "default" (of, say... Everquest) is going back to the Bad Old Days.

Personally I suspect I'll buy GW2 a week or two after it comes out. Or right when it comes out if I play the beta and like it. I suspect that it'll correct certain issues people have with GW1....

* A better method of selling things.
* Serious PvE goals beyond "max" level or the end of the game
* No non-instanced areas outside town
* No way to players to effect anything in-game through in-game means
* More ascetic and possibly functional options
* "Broken" professions, skills, and mechanics that are impossible to balance as neither useless nor required removed (or at least reduced).

I can't think of anything confirmed that I have reason to believe will be negative. Of course, one of my major dislikes of guildwars will probably continue... expansion packs. Pretty much boils down to a subscription fee that happens somewhat less regularly but in correspondingly higher amounts if you intend to keep playing high end of either PvP or PvE.

Of course, nothing stops a game with a subscription fee from making expansion packs that are even more mandatory then GW's (like wow and raising the level cap 10 when you buy an expansion....) so that's good at least. It just happens that given a true choice between the two systems I think I'd choose subscription at this point.

sorudo
24-06-2008, 18:05
simple solution, the first to attack it regarding from hurting the enemy has the kill, so even if you're stealth and slow walking, no one can kill the enemy but that character.
well, unless you're in a team, then it's more the first team to attack the enemy has the kill.:laugh:

Aiiane
24-06-2008, 19:30
Not only is this poll poorly designed, but the OP makes several baseless assumptions about GW2. I can't see much good coming from leaving this open.