PDA

View Full Version : A new Compass.

Balan Makki
20-08-2008, 17:11
Was thinking about the compass, and how spotters, heroes, henchmen, players, pugs, all of them pretty much ignore the Danger Zone. The compass is a very useful tool, though the white transparent circle seems a bit dated. (Actually, the aggro bubble seemed a bit dated, or simplistic when I first started playing GW.)

First off, it would be nice if there were optional skins for it. Maybe race specific, unlockable by other races. It would also be nice to find upgradable (unlockable) features to add to it, making it more like a piece of equipment, customizable, rather than an interface feature, perhaps even optional integration of the mission map.

Regarding the aggro bubble. Would it be more interesting, and ultimately open up more design possibilities, if MoB had variable aggro range? Rather than having “one size fits all”. Mix things up a bit, for strategic value. Using current features such as “colored dots” and “pings” and maybe expand things to include new shapes such as “x” or stars for bosses, etc. Rather than a transparent danger zone, add basic rings for players to understand distance: Yardage Rings.

When a MoB becomes aware of you it then “appears” as a yellow pulsing dot, the closer you get the faster the pulse(ping). When a MoB is angered, its dot turns from yellow to red, pulsing faster the closer it is to attacking you, like an enraged heartbeat. Perhaps the inclusion of a View Cone in front of players and MoB to add further dimension and immersion, where everything is seen on compass regardless of it’s awareness state.

Like armor, make specific runes and insignias for the compass. Example, an insignia to allow Rangers a % chance to sense traps, or stealthed foes (Hidden Spawns) or track foes; an insignia that allows Elementalist to see their AoE cone of effect while the cast timer is in progressing . . .; a feature for warriors to call kill targets; for monks to call help targets, etc. .

Lot of potential for added compass features; it could be a nice upgrade for GW2.

Nochtflamir
20-08-2008, 19:18
That would be a lot of chaos & confusion. only two things that seem useful to me would be the different boss symbol, and range rings - dunno how these would be done, because melee classes don't really need them, and it's easy enough (after you play a class) to judge your spell/weapon range.

Simply Kedde
20-08-2008, 20:17
More thing s being able to be changed by the player is a good thing for me. Just make the functional ones available from the start to keep the non-grind philosophy and leave the looks to that.

Kael Valeran
20-08-2008, 21:30
There are already mobs with different range.
remember kournan spotters? they have a wider aggro range =P

the pulsing beat idea is nice. I do hope gw doesn't become compass wars tho. Too much detail is bad too. Depends on how well they can squeeze it in.

Karuro
20-08-2008, 21:33
I dunno.. After EotN, I'm not keen with flashing stuff these days..
I'm all for an improved compass with adjustable aggro & skill ranges though.

raspberry jam
21-08-2008, 09:39
I like the idea about not having a fixed aggro range. In fact, I think there shouldn't be any aggro range at all. If a mob sees you - based on line of sight, and somewhat on distance, if it's a mob that relies on sight, that is; if you have a mob that relies on a sense of smell, characters are "seen" if they get close... or if they are up wind - he knows you're there. Whether or not he'll attack you is up to things like his intentions, amount of members in your team (or players in your near proximity), how hungry he is, etc.

Example if your team of 8 members, armed to the teeth, meet 5 brigands that are out to kill things and take their money (such a malevolent concept!), these brigands might just turn around and run - it's just a too big target for them. On the other hand, they might not. If a lonely defenseless little monk meet them though (maybe a straggler from that 8 man team, maybe a solo farmer), they would be more inclined to attack.

Of course, aggressive things like bladed aatxes, enemy soldiers and such should always want to attack you. But they should do so only if they notice you. I saw stealth being mentioned in the thread - I'd welcome stealth in GW2, but not as a skill. Instead, you'd have to actually sneak past when they are looking the other way, hide behind walls, and maybe spike guards down quickly before they can raise the alarm.
The possibilities are endless. If I went off topic, though, I apologize :embarassed: I really would like an improved compass.

Elex Aio
26-08-2008, 01:33
Very interesting ideas, for the most part, I agree with them.

Another thing I'd like to see is that either in some areas in PvE (so enemies maybe sneak up on you if you don't see 'em) and some types of PvP that you could have times that your compass either goes black/fogged or that dots don't appear, perhaps for a certain radius.

What if there were skills that made you invisible to your enemies' radar? Or skills (probably hexes) that reduced the detecting range of a person's radar? I would love this. Maybe blind could even reduce detecting range. This would allow a new factor to be added to the game, especially in large battles (world vs. world): stealth.

For example, if you don't show up on radar, you could hide behind a tree or something to avoid being detected. You could have specific players designated to be scouts. I think this would add a new kind of fun and excitement to the game. Heck, I'd have fun being ambushed by mobs that I didn't see coming (and yes, I know right now we have pop ups but this is fairly different, especially for pvp)

Along with these ideas (mine and yours) we could even have lore behind this compass, as a magical device.

EDIT: In addition, though I said to have stealth related skills, of course, I wouldn't necessarily like invisibility, but just preventing from being detected on radar. (if you were detectable, it negates the entire purpose of hiding behind a wall like raspberry said) You would indeed have to sneak by while the foe isn't looking.

Rockby Quickfoot
26-08-2008, 04:25
I like the idea of making the compasses better, but I DO NOT EVER want to see the quest arrows ever again. I think the directions should be in the quest itself, ranging from easy to find, to very vague directions that would require actual *gasp* exploration. I don't want to be pointed in the direction automatically anymore, I'd much rather see people find their way on their own.

But as for expanding it in other ways, I'm all for that. And Raspberry's suggestion of stealth is always a huge plus for gameplay.

KyppDuron
26-08-2008, 18:03
I like the idea of making the compasses better, but I DO NOT EVER want to see the quest arrows ever again. I think the directions should be in the quest itself, ranging from easy to find, to very vague directions that would require actual *gasp* exploration. I don't want to be pointed in the direction automatically anymore, I'd much rather see people find their way on their own.

I've seen quite a few people mention this and i think it is a really horrible idea. Either the instructions are going to have to be super-precise, or the quests are going to have to be really easy to find because otherwise quests are only going to be tedious alt-tab ventures between the game and the wiki. No one is going to want to flounder around in the dark for an hour so they can kill 5 rats they couldn't find for 500 xp and a blue sword.
However, an option to turn the arrow on or off would, of course, be fine.

Rhinala
26-08-2008, 21:44
Originally Posted by Rockby Quickfoot

This is a bad idea one of the greatest things in GW is that you know where to go in quests, it make the game more recreational rather then hard work, the only example i cam give you is WoW (played there for 2 years) the quests pinpoint the location of the area you need to go but there is no arrow, so many are getting addons that do this task.