PDA

View Full Version : Whats the better choice

Black
06-09-2008, 11:38
Well folks I now decided to purchase a current generation console system. I am quite undecisive in regards to which system I should purchase. With the recent price drop of the 360, things are getting quite interesting.

Though budget factors in, its not the main point of my indecision. For one there are rumors that microsft is already hard at work to intoduce its next gen system into the market, whether its blue ray supported or not, its still in the minds of the exe.. estimated time - possibly the new gen system will be introduce in a year or so.

Though the Xbox may become an obsolete system in a yr or so, the recent price changes is luring.

As far as the PS3, Sony is about to introduce, if not already, its 120GB system that will support backward capabilities. I own ton of PS2 games, so that in itself is luring as well. Also the blue ray drive is a huge plus due to it being the media format of the future.

It is rumored that gears of wars 2 for the xbox has tapped the limit as to what the the xbox can accomplish graphic wise. And Sony Metal gears 4 has shown the amazing graphical details of blue ray incorporated games.

So folks what should I invest in? Should I obtain a PS3, or should I get the Xbox or even wait for is predecessor?

Blastsniper
06-09-2008, 12:14
Get a 360, its the only serious business game console. That actually has allot of good games. Wii is for little kids, and ps3 is going to be off the market soon, and costs as much as a much as a 360 with 10 games.

mocax
06-09-2008, 12:25
save the money for a pc upgrade for GW2

The Boz
06-09-2008, 12:26

Word.54321

Feannag
06-09-2008, 12:29

Agreed. Not only for GW2, but also for any of the hundreds of other games that'll be out in the next few years.

But if you absolutely have to buy a console, just get the one that has the most games you want.

Manwithtwohands
06-09-2008, 12:29
lol. I was thinking of mentioning GW2 earlier.
When I got into GW, I stopped playing any other games for over a year.
I quite EQ2, I quit wow, and my PS2 disappeared under a mountain of dust.

Black
06-09-2008, 12:43

Point taken, I will never let go of PC Gaming - Though my rig is crying out for major upgrades. Knowing that GW2 is coming out its going to require major graphic capabilities.

In the meantime, when I need to take a break from time to time, I'll use a console system. :tongue:

Rob Van Der Sloot
06-09-2008, 13:04
Wii has some fun titles, but it is obviously the lesser console of the three when processing power is concerned. The wii-mote is fun, but hardly innovative, and a bit of a gimmick. The amount of games that make good use of it are virtually none existant. Still the new Fatal Frame 4 is coming out for the Wii, and since I am a huge fan of the series I'll probably be forced to buy one.

PS3's right now sell without backward compatibility, which feels like a scam, and it is. Also, the PS3 has a very poor selection of games at the moment. More PS3 titles are on the way, but they take some time. You'd have to be really patient if you want a good reason to buy a PS3.

If you really want a new console right now, I guess the Xbox 360 is the better choice. Although the whole red-ring of death affair has made me dislike Microsoft (and the way they treat their customers) even more. The Xbox 360 right now has the best and most games to offer.

Frankly I am in the same position as you right now. I know it is about time I got a new console, but I just can't make up my mind. Fatal Frame 4 is cool, but not out yet. Metal Gear Solid 4 is awesome, but not awesome enough to buy a PS3 for. And I some how dislike the Xbox 360, even though it has the best line up of games by far. A few years back it was so much easier to pick a console:

Shadow of the Collosus, Rez, Ico, God of War 1 & 2, Fatal Frame 1, 2, 3, the new Final Fantasy series, Twisted Metal, Tombraider Legend and Anniversary, Metalslug 3, R-Type Final, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calliber 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, and Silent Hill 2, 3, 4. Hell, there was hardly any reason not to buy a PS2. Now I just don't know.

Manwithtwohands
06-09-2008, 13:15
The Wii is getting FF4?
:largesad:
That would have been fun.
Those games are crazy scary.

Aretelio
06-09-2008, 13:41
Wii has some fun titles, but it is obviously the lesser console of the three when processing power is concerned. The wii-mote is fun, but hardly innovative, and a bit of a gimmick. The amount of games that make good use of it are virtually none existant. Still the new Fatal Frame 4 is coming out for the Wii, and since I am a huge fan of the series I'll probably be forced to buy one.

PS3's right now sell without backward compatibility, which feels like a scam, and it is. Also, the PS3 has a very poor selection of games at the moment. More PS3 titles are on the way, but they take some time. You'd have to be really patient if you want a good reason to buy a PS3.

If you really want a new console right now, I guess the Xbox 360 is the better choice. Although the whole red-ring of death affair has made me dislike Microsoft (and the way they treat their customers) even more. The Xbox 360 right now has the best and most games to offer.

Frankly I am in the same position as you right now. I know it is about time I got a new console, but I just can't make up my mind. Fatal Frame 4 is cool, but not out yet. Metal Gear Solid 4 is awesome, but not awesome enough to buy a PS3 for. And I some how dislike the Xbox 360, even though it has the best line up of games by far. A few years back it was so much easier to pick a console:

Shadow of the Collosus, Rez, Ico, God of War 1 & 2, Fatal Frame 1, 2, 3, the new Final Fantasy series, Twisted Metal, Tombraider Legend and Anniversary, Metalslug 3, R-Type Final, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calliber 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, and Silent Hill 2, 3, 4. Hell, there was hardly any reason not to buy a PS2. Now I just don't know.

I agree with everything Rob has said.

With the exception of him referring to the Wiimote as a gimmick. Yes, it may not be all that innovative, but it has transcended the term 'gimmick'. I mean, if you're using literal definitions of the word gimmick, then yes, the Wiimote is an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

Though, I suppose you're using the other definition where the Wii has been "equiped or embellished with unnecessary features, in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc." But, by using this definition of the term 'gimmick' then the PS3 with its Blu-Ray player is also a gimmick.

Regardless, the Wii has sold double and then some when compared to the PS3; and has sold well over two million more systems than Microsoft. And Nintendo surpassed Microsoft even with Microsoft having almost a full year's head start. Really, approximately 23 million systems sold does not equal gimmick.

Virtual Boy? Gimmick.
SegaCD? Gimmick.
32X? Gimmick.
Wii? Not gimmick.

nabbed
06-09-2008, 13:41
What's a console?
Is my dusted psp a console?

Rob Van Der Sloot
06-09-2008, 14:21
Really, approximately 23 million systems sold does not equal gimmick.

I disagree. The wii-mote was introduced as a sort of "revolution to gaming". It would allow for all new kinds of innovative games to be developed, but in reality it's nothing more than a different controller. Just looking at the sad list of "innovative wii titles", we find fishing, tennis, bowling, sword fighting, shooting, crossbow shooting and more fishing. It's rather dreadful, the kind of game-ideas you think up for the Wii after lying on your left ear for 5 minutes. That to me, has gimmick written all over it. Apart from Wario-ware (which is basically just a big collection of short mini games), I have yet to see any game concept with the wii-mote that transcends gimmickyness.

The number of units sold is not related to the question if it is a gimmick or not. It just means more people fell for it. It means more people think that wii-fit actually makes you more fit. It means that more people think that waving the nun-chuck around equals a good excercise. If that doesn't have gimmick written all over it, I don't know what does.

The Wii is getting FF4?
:largesad:
That would have been fun.
Those games are crazy scary.

I'm a big fan of the series. Once every two weeks me and some colleagues have a special fatal Frame horror night. We stay up late and play Fatal Frame 2 in the middle of the night. (We first did FF3, then FF1, and now we are at FF2.)
Last tuesday the girls were screaming on the couch as "Box-woman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyKbFmSnMOA)" reared her ugly head and slowly but creepy crawled her way out of a small coffin. The camera made eery buzzing sounds, but it could not get a good focus, because Box-woman kept her head down all the time. As we slowly backed away, she suddenly lunged towards the camera. The girls almost rolled from the couch screaming every inch of the way.

Skyy High
06-09-2008, 16:49
I enjoy my PS3. There really weren't any exclusives on the 360 that drew my attention, I'd rather have a Bluray player than not if given the choice, and the online play is free. I don't do online console play that much, so if I had to pay for it, I would never do it at all. Yes, I know Live beats the crap out of PSN, but a bad online service that I will use because it's free > a good online service that I would never touch.

The game selection is decent, and like Rob said, a number of cool exclusives are coming out in the next year. Personally, I'm hoping Infamous is really awesome.

So to sum it up: if you like the 360's exclusive list, want a cheaper next-gen gaming experience, and don't care about future use of the console, get it. If you like the PS3's exclusive list (including upcoming titles), and would like your investment to mean something in a couple of years - at the very least, you'll have a Bluray player - or if you're like me and wouldn't touch online play unless it's free, get the PS3. And...get the Wii if you want to pay a couple hundred to play Brawl, Zelda, and Mario, because that's all you're getting for a while it seems.

Orlandomir Zang
06-09-2008, 18:41
It is rumored that gears of wars 2 for the xbox has tapped the limit as to what the the xbox can accomplish graphic wise.

That is what they said about Gears 1...

I reckon youy should buy the 360. It has a large range of titles available, with a large variety of genre. You can download movies and arcade titles using Live. Playable demos and videos of upcoming titles are also available for download for free.

It has a ton of other features but that's all i can think of.

(To get the full experience from your 360, you will need to get a Live gold membership. I wouldn't play my 360 anywhere near as much if it wern't for Live)

Lucis
06-09-2008, 18:46
I have a 360, but if I had to chose again, I would probably go for Wii.
Think carefully, though, when you are going to be using your console. If you are only going to use it with friends around, like I do, then IMO the Wii is the best. It's really fun for multiplayer games, and it doesn't lack the fun stuff. As addition, you can take some of the games to a higher level if you want more of a challenge (SSBB for example).
If you want a more serious console, I'd go with 360 over the PS3. But really with these two, it's based on which has titles that you would prefer.
PErsonally, if I'm doing a serious game, or on my own, I use the PC.

Nikhera
06-09-2008, 19:16
I personally have a 360 and I love it.

I was introduced to console gaming when my boyfriend bought me a PS2. Later he got me the 360 as well. The transition has been really enjoyable.

Personally, I don't think the few exclusives PS3 has justifies the high, high price tag. I enjoy 360's exclusives much, much more. (Gears of War and Viva Pinata are the first games I've played and totally fell in love with, so they come to mind. :laugh:)

The 360 has a great online service. If you're into multiplayer games at all, it's a MUST. Definite must. As an addition, you can rent movies, purchase shows (that's right, I said purchase - movies are for rent only but once you pay for the right to download episodes of a show you'll always be able to download later copies for free.) play demons and play the most entertaining arcade games. (Puzzle Quest, Geon, Chess, Switchball, Braid are just a handful of games that provide hours of entertainment for a modest price.)

Also, I don't know if the PS3 has this feature, but if it doesn't, then: Streaming torrented anime from your computer to your 360 so that you can watch it on TV >>>>> Bluray any day. All day. You can of course do this with music and movies as well.

As for all the concerns with the red ring of death: I've gotten mine only once: when my boyfriend and I were playing Timeshift over systemlink. We both got our at the same time, after we ended a match. So we just turned the consoles off quickly and they were running fine the next time they were booted.

My 360 doesn't seem to have any issues with overheating either. I just don't put anything on top of it and keep the power source away, on a different shelf. Common sense, really. (Lately, it has been a bit jumpy when reading discs...but that'd be my fault, seeing as I let it get dusty in my basement for a month or two. ._.; )

Anyways, I would get the Xbox 360. GW2 is still a long time away, so it'll give you lots to do until then. When GW2 gets into beta, that's when you can start thinking about upgrading. :p

Sir Jack
06-09-2008, 20:16
Also, I don't know if the PS3 has this feature, but if it doesn't, then: Streaming torrented anime from your computer to your 360 so that you can watch it on TV >>>>> Bluray any day. All day. You can of course do this with music and movies as well.

Since you can freely swap HD's on the PS3 instead of having to buy MS's limited ones, I'm going to assume it's possible to DL using your computer, throw them on an external HD and then watch them on your TV.
Also, depending on your TV's resolution and the resolution in which you DL, the quality can be rather poor this way.

Agreeing with Rob completely. My advice? Do what I do, wait a while and then buy a PS3. The current games aren't worth the purchase yet, but upcoming titles look promising.

Akirai Annuvil
07-09-2008, 21:28
The Wii has an awesome upcoming (hardcore-ish) game, MadWorld. To quote wiki:

From a third-person perspective, the player controls Jack, a hulking brute with a chainsaw on his arm, as he competes in a violent TV show. Using the Nunchuk to move Jack, by gesturing the Wii Remote, players perform brutal melee attacks on enemies. Also Jack can use objects around the environment, such as impaling an enemy's head with a caution sign.

For the rest, I too am mostly in agreeance with Rob and currently following the same plan of action as jack. If the 120 GB with backwards compatability sees a EU release though I'll probably buy that as soon as it's out.

What's a console?
Is my dusted psp a console?
For the odd case that you're not just joking around:
Consoles are the PCs you hook up to your TV, like the Wii, 360 or PS3.
Handheld are the portable PCs which are aimed at playing games, like the GBA, PSP or DS.

Gmr Leon
07-09-2008, 21:57
For the rest, I too am mostly in agreeance with Rob and currently following the same plan of action as jack. If the 120 GB with backwards compatability sees a EU release though I'll probably buy that as soon as it's out.

I'm having the same line of thought processes myself..Then again I was having them before the next gen consoles were even released.

Any idea on what the 120 GB will be priced at? I'm going to assume a load..

Heavens Angel
07-09-2008, 22:00
every console has its faults no doubt about it,

each console has a variety of games just depends which intrest you more.

the xbox 360 is getting some rpg's in the next few months coming. if your a final fantasy fan then the 360 is getting it aswell. so dont buy a ps3 if thats the only game u plan on buying :P.

for me id say xbox360. as ive said i have every console since about 1999. for me the 360 has all the games i could want.

i like many differnt types of game.

going from hack n slash and repeat x thing over and over. to first person shooters. to rpg games.

the gamerpoint system thing also drew me more to the xbox360. to me this seems like the new secret things in games. it also for me. makes me play the game more than once sorta thing.

ps3 is getting the trophy thing but not many games are using that right now or have plans too.

the xbox360 i belive is staying till about 2011 - 2012.

they wouldnt have spent all that money getting final fantasy to there console. to bring a new one out the same year.

i dont know what games your intrested in ofocurse so if you could state what your looking for that could help.

about gears of war 2 thing we dont know only time will tell.

altho the person from epic who said it did say the ps3 couldnt run gears of war so yeah i dont belive this guy for **** to be honest.

Black
10-09-2008, 10:57
i dont know what games your intrested in ofocurse so if you could state what your looking for that could help.

about gears of war 2 thing we dont know only time will tell.

altho the person from epic who said it did say the ps3 couldnt run gears of war so yeah i dont belive this guy for **** to be honest.

Games that interest me are the metal Gear Solid series, Heavy on the RPG genre, and the survival horror series. Although I do enjoy the occasional Devil may cry type game & some stradegy.

PS3 NOT running GoW2? on the contrary, many developers have yet to reach the potential of blue ray space availability in regards to maxing out graphical details.

As far as 360, it interests me to some degree because of the plathora of games it has, as well as it entering into the RPG genre. Though the recent hardware issues do have me concerned. I guess I look at the 360 as the console system of the present, while the PS3 seems to be the console of the future, looks promising.

PS3 so far is keeping my interest as well, its 120GB version with backward capabilities & the added bonus of a blue ray drive. Just the software woes in regards to third party supplying, have me concerned as well.

I'm close to making a final decision, so any further input would be appreciated.

Zalis
10-09-2008, 15:45
Games that interest me are the metal Gear Solid series, Heavy on the RPG genre, and the survival horror series. Although I do enjoy the occasional Devil may cry type game & some stradegy.

I'm close to making a final decision, so any further input would be appreciated.

I was about to do my usual "I'm a PC Gamer and I love my Wii" spiel, but after seeing your genre interests, you might be better off going with a PS3 or 360.

Nikhera
10-09-2008, 22:27
Since you can freely swap HD's on the PS3 instead of having to buy MS's limited ones, I'm going to assume it's possible to DL using your computer, throw them on an external HD and then watch them on your TV.
Also, depending on your TV's resolution and the resolution in which you DL, the quality can be rather poor this way.

You can do something like that on the 360 too. I personally took a flashdisk to transfer a movie over to the 360, and then watched it there.

However, here's the advantage: When you stream to your 360 from the computer, the actual computer deals with all the codec stuff. So that means that you can play back pretty much any file type, as long as your computer can. (mvk files come to mind - most anime episodes are this format and I don't think consoles support them.)

But, details details. :sealed:

Slightly off topic but not quite: When Black mentioned DMC, I thought of this:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/02/06/

Zayren
10-09-2008, 22:32
Hi guys, my name is Tales of Vesperia. I live on the Xbox 360. :heart:

Sir Jack
10-09-2008, 22:45

Hypnotoad commands you to buy a PS3 and not a 360. Buy whenever you want.

snowkissed
10-09-2008, 22:52
I own the xbox 360, the wii and an upgraded PC. I spend more gaming time these days on my 360. Wii I barely touch. My PC has all of my MMOs and will actually be my central gaming centre when Fallout 3 comes out in October.

Personally, I say you either upgrade your PC if you enjoy keyboard+mouse gaming or get the 360. Unless you're patient and actually looking forward to games that are coming out only on the PS3 and the Wii.

The new 360s have a lot less a chance of getting RRoD thank GOD. The horror stories that are still popping up are, in general, people who:
-bought an old system
-got a refurbished system
-used the old intercooler.

Most of the really popular games with very few exceptions come out on PS3, 360, PC.

On a last note, I'd like to throw out there that the 360 is much cheaper than the PS3.

Heavens Angel
10-09-2008, 23:19
well if you like devil may cry. you may be intrested in Ninja gaiden black from the xbox. and the new Ninja gaide 2 from the xbox360. both very hard games and shall put your skills to the test if you love something hard.

the xbox 360 is getting some pretty decent rpgs in the recent time. and no doubt theres a lost odyssey 2 coming or something. you then have others of course.

if you look round you can find lists of games of which are exclusive if thats your intrest or just get a general feel of whats coming. the xbox360 has a massive list of games i want. where as the ps3 doesnt for me and just plays my films in 1080p :D.

you also have the whole gamerscore thing for me which is like this generations secrets in games i kinder like it :P.

you then have the xbox live arcade which has classic games like duke nukem 3d coming out and various other things,

you also have the issue with the ps3 at the moment where you have to pay to buy games from the ps1 or something even then there isnt that many on the psn. where as the 360 you dont. unless you dont have them and then you can find one in the store or from the bo live originals.

all in all they both have various things that swerve you to them but from my point. the ps3 isnt the gaming machine of this generation. ( have the game which came with it and 1 other with is mgs and thats all ive brought game wise :(. )

also in the 360 fall update it adds installs to if you wish to

Akirai Annuvil
10-09-2008, 23:34

Going by genre and platform, top of my head:

'Western' RPGs
Fallout 3, available on both
Oblivion, available on both
Fable 2, 360 yes, comp. probably, ps3 no.
Folklore, PS3 yes, 360 no

JRPGs
FFXIII, both
FFvXIII, PS3 yes, 360 no
Tales of Vesperia, 360 yes, PS3 no
Infinite Undiscovery, 360 yes, PS3 no
The Last Remnant, both

Survival Horror
Vampire Rain, both
Silent Hill, PS3 yes, 360 ?no
Resident Evil 5, both
LEGO BATMAN!!!!!, both

Strategy
Disgaea 3, PS3 yes, 360 no
(Few next gen strat titles iirc.)

Other
Devil May Cry 4, both
Metal Gear Solid 4, PS3 yes, 360 no duh

Almost all the big genre titles, ffxiii, fallout, re5, happen to be both so you're pretty safe. Several other good/popular games, gta4, sc4 and dmc4 are also non-exclusive (as is rock band, which should be included). Whichever console you end up buying, you'll probably end up happy with it either way. The most important decision is, what auxiliary titles do you want in your favourite genres.

Most of the really popular games with very few exceptions come out on PS3, 360, PC.
~
On a last note, I'd like to throw out there that the 360 is much cheaper than the PS3.
The former's mostly correct, the latter's incorrect. A 360 costs 299, with 60 a year for online play. A PS3 costs 399, with 0 a year for online play. Assuming you want online play (I can't see why you wouldn't) the PS3 gets cheaper after like, 1.7 years.