PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Rooms!!! Possible Dragon Art!!!

Shinryu
26-09-2008, 01:53
Today, I was doing the EotN entry quest.. to be able to get into the eye of the north expansion, I was wondering what was behind those closed doors that seemed to go nowhere. I zoomed in all the way on them so I could see through them.. this is what I found.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/RodHog/gw045.jpg

Thats the mural.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/RodHog/gw048.jpg

Thats a cavern I found behind one of those doors.

Imagine that!

Konig Des Todes
26-09-2008, 04:44
That mural is concept art from Factions. It's something covered in snakes and bugs, that seems to be in the Echovald Forest (by the background).

Here is the full concept art:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/Azazel_90/Guild%20Wars/SnakeDemon.jpg

Advocate Rhino
26-09-2008, 04:53
That's a pretty cool critter!

Harjubal od Uo
26-09-2008, 05:17
Perhaps an early concept for Urgoz or some kind of warden god? Perhaps the warden or, possibly, even Kurzick conception of Melandru?

Nice find, by the way, Sinryu. Was this the entry quest starting from Kaineng, Lion's Arch or Kamadan?

Kinlo
26-09-2008, 05:56
But do we know what the Factions art is? I think it kinda looks like a Redemtor. Also the things down there have studied us, if they didn't how couldn't make that mural.
The cavern is also pretty cool.

~Kinlo

Konig Des Todes
26-09-2008, 06:10
I don't think the murals are of a lore-standard to be honest. There are murals of concept arts from all 3 campaigns, and even from Utopia and GW2. I think the concept art pictures were chosen randomly.

Qanar
26-09-2008, 07:54
I always thought that was abbadon :)

Sir Jack
26-09-2008, 13:27
The image is called "Hydra" and has been around since Prophecies. An image of it is even available in the Prophecies manual, as cover art for the section "Villains" if I recall correctly.

Shinryu
26-09-2008, 14:20
I have yet to check behnd every door also.

Konig Des Todes
26-09-2008, 18:07
The image is called "Hydra" and has been around since Prophecies. An image of it is even available in the Prophecies manual, as cover art for the section "Villains" if I recall correctly. There is no section called "Villains," in any of the manuscripts.

But I looked through the section covers, it's the cover for Book II: Chapter 3 Combat: Basic Training (page 111).

Interesting thing about the concept art and the cover in the Prophecies Manual... in the manual, there are no snakes from above the head like in the concept, or below the head.

And in the mural, the head is mirror image. Interesting >.>

Jair of the Forest
26-09-2008, 20:29
If it even is anything, it's probably not Melandru (it wouldn't be exactly the kind of thing you'd imagine the Goddess of Nature to look like) and not Urgoz either (due to it being around before Factions).

Anyhow.. the snake/bug-like thing that's around it seems a dress of some sort to me.

Sir Jack
26-09-2008, 20:39
There is no section called "Villains," in any of the manuscripts.

But I looked through the section covers, it's the cover for Book II: Chapter 3 Combat: Basic Training (page 111).

Close enough. There's a section on foes or bad guys or something anyway. Been a while since I read the manuals, but I do remember that pic, it's come up a few times.

Interesting thing about the concept art and the cover in the Prophecies Manual... in the manual, there are no snakes from above the head like in the concept, or below the head.

They often make several pieces of concept art based on the same thing with some modifications. It's possible they liked the old concept art and tried to make a new one for Factions to see if they could fit it in somehow. The second version could have been concept art for Urgoz, or just a little thing drawn on the side for potential foes.

And in the mural, the head is mirror image. Interesting >.>

Ehh...a lot of art got mirrored a few times I believe. I wouldn't look too far into something like that. Probably done for some aesthetic reason, of at all done for a particular reason.

Karn the Betrayer
01-10-2008, 20:48
maybe it was an abandoned concept for a monster

Konig Des Todes
02-10-2008, 01:19
Technically, concept art of anything that cannot be found in game (including the murals) are trashed/abandoned concepts. Unless it gets pushed back for use in a later game.

La Jaffa
02-10-2008, 16:15
well, i saw that picture in the Manual book, i always thought it was a art of abbadon in his early states

Sir Jack
02-10-2008, 17:57
well, i saw that picture in the Manual book, i always thought it was a art of abbadon in his early states

No, we have pretty early Abby concepts, they look nothing like it.
Hell, they don't even look like the Abby in-game either...

mulinex
03-10-2008, 12:07
Hell, they don't even look like the Abby in-game either...

*ahem* ...except for his 6 eyes, the tentacle-like "hair", the Torment Claws...

Konig Des Todes
03-10-2008, 15:13
*ahem* ...except for his 6 eyes, the tentacle-like "hair", the Torment Claws...Don't forget he's always a giant ^^

Noname Otakugami
04-10-2008, 18:46
What god are and how gods show themselves is usually different.

They could create 'bodies' to interact with humans, while having their original selves 'merged' with their realms like Abaddon.

Maybe Abaddon looks so giant because he 'merged' with his 'jail' in order to interact with the outside.

What is sure is that the Abaddon the First margonites knew must have been something like the picture saw in Gandara.

Javy
11-10-2008, 14:34
Has anyone noticed that the monster has those snake-dragon things that can be found in Ascalon or the Catacombs?
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/3176/snakedemoncopiaby9.jpg
I don't know if this is important, but it's the first time I see the snake-dragon thing with something else. Does this mean something?

Konig Des Todes
11-10-2008, 19:37
I saw that before, I figured it was just a re-use of idea (or, more likely, the person who did that Ascalon mural did that concept art).