PDA

View Full Version : Large or Small game world?

Tro
01-10-2008, 07:26
how would you like the size of the game world to be?

Large or small?

GW2 will be a free to play game, so I dont really know much behind the scene on how that effect the game world size.

But GW1 had only instanced areas made up of large areas.
but with the world no longer being Instanced, how big should the world be?

Iam not sure about what it say in the Lore behind GW's world size, but do you think that could maybe have a major effect on the World's size in GW2?

What are the benefits of having a small game world?
What are the benefits of having a large game world?
:listen:

raspberry jam
01-10-2008, 11:13
What are the benefits of having a small game world?Less download needed, less server space used. It's easier to find people, easier to learn to find your way around the place, and you get a much more diverse spread of people with different amounts of levels, experience, and so on, in the same place. Every part of the world is used, no nothing feels pointless. Also, designers have time to work on every little part of the game world, so that you won't have annoying bugs caused by computer-generated terrain that no one double-checked. Travel is easier due to shorter distances, but hopefully GW2 will have map travel.

What are the benefits of having a large game world?Less net traffic, making it easier on people with slow connections, and less work done by the servers. A large world feels more epic and you won't get bored of it as easily. There is enough space for designers to put in those special locations that you might miss if you just follow the storyline but that can be a nice surprise to find if you are just exploring. If GW2 will have different factions each controlling their own lands, there is room for all that without making it feel crowded.

Both options are worth it but I think that a large world would fit GW2 better than a small one.

Bashor
01-10-2008, 13:57
Less download needed, less server space used. It's easier to find people, easier to learn to find your way around the place, and you get a much more diverse spread of people with different amounts of levels, experience, and so on, in the same place. Every part of the world is used, no nothing feels pointless. Also, designers have time to work on every little part of the game world, so that you won't have annoying bugs caused by computer-generated terrain that no one double-checked. Travel is easier due to shorter distances, but hopefully GW2 will have map travel.

Less net traffic, making it easier on people with slow connections, and less work done by the servers. A large world feels more epic and you won't get bored of it as easily. There is enough space for designers to put in those special locations that you might miss if you just follow the storyline but that can be a nice surprise to find if you are just exploring. If GW2 will have different factions each controlling their own lands, there is room for all that without making it feel crowded.

Both options are worth it but I think that a large world would fit GW2 better than a small one.

This.
I'd like to have a large world, too.

Ascalon is a whole ****ing continent, after all.
Therefore it should have a decent size, so that it doesn't look to ridiculous and unrealistic.

There sure are pros for a small world, but, for me, the the benefit of a large world outweigh the ones of a small world.

kookkamajunga
01-10-2008, 15:20
I want GW2 to be MASSIVE! The bigger the better.

Alaris
01-10-2008, 15:32
Large enough to have lots to explore.

Small enough to be filled.

It's really hard to give a better answer than that.

sorudo
01-10-2008, 16:28
i want it really massive, so big that you really need some time to explore things.
you can go trough GW1 within a week or 2, but i like to see a world so big that you need a month for just one chapter to get trough.
sounds to big, but it's what you want eventually.(and with the map travel, a big size map doesn't have to be annoying)

Shinryu
02-10-2008, 12:28
If it was small, it would be like Runescape. **** Runescape. I hate that game, so we need nothing simular to it.

KyppDuron
02-10-2008, 19:47
As far as i am concerned, the bigger the better. As long as anet puts in some kind of world-wide group finder people can't ever be too spread out. As for some areas feeling pointless, that isn't a bad thing. Before the whole totem axe farmsplosion it felt cool knowing about the temple in the falls, we need more stuff like that.

Kazuhiro Risuko
02-10-2008, 20:18
I want to get lost. The world can actually be quite small, but if you have enough nooks and crannies, and if they present themselves to the explorer at just the right level of curiosity, and since it'll be possible to be alone in an outpost without gritting your teeth in frustration because you can't find a group, the world can be small and feel very, very big.

Or it can just be plan ol' big. That works too.

Flamefang of Arnor
22-10-2008, 01:07
Personally i'm for the bigger world, as it adds room to explore, opportunities to increase the storyline, variations in landscape, etc. I'm even for large, explorable cities. I'm not going to bring one of my own threads into this too much but GW2 better have some nicer buildings and towns.

raspberry jam
22-10-2008, 13:27
While I prefer a large world, GW2 will be using a leveling system which might lead to the world being sectioned (sort of like WoW, or the current GW in NM)

Erasculio
22-10-2008, 13:36
Between a large world mostly empty, with large areas without anything (enemies or quests or NPCs) like Prophecies, and a small world filled with things to do and to see, like the other chapters, I would rather have the latter.

Erasculio

raspberry jam
22-10-2008, 15:00
Between a large world mostly empty, with large areas without anything (enemies or quests or NPCs) like Prophecies, and a small world filled with things to do and to see, like the other chapters, I would rather have the latter.

ErasculioAll of the campaigns are "large" worlds, lack of density is something else (even though I prefer Prophecies because of those empty spaces).

"Small" world just means there is no spatial separation between players, sort of like pre-searing, even if you stay there until you are level 20 you'll walk the same streets as a level 1

sorudo
22-10-2008, 18:21
if there is one sample Anet needs to take, then it's LOTRO.
the world really gives you the feeling that you are in a forest or close to a town, instead of having pre-set paths with unaccessible places everywhere like GW1 currently is.

Simply Kedde
22-10-2008, 18:41
A reasonably sized world that like prophecies has places you don't need to go, but either have some pretty amazing looks or something special.