PDA

View Full Version : Farming

Kylie McDiarmid
16-01-2009, 09:45
Well. I've been quite adamant about not posting specifc farming builds in here out of fear that that they well be nerfed but it seems that anet always finds a way.i've found Hydra's seem to be the way to go these days (I will share this build here if it is not already commonly known.) However lately i've been after ice imps using a pern SF build with GoS and Stoneflesh Aura that works quite nicely on the imps. But what i've been tring to do is drag some imps over to the Ice Golems to use as "Mantra of Frost Batteries.: My issue here is the darn Ice Golems won't sit still. Water magic here is no good cause i havent the points to allocate towards water magic to make an effective snare. since storm chasers got backfire in HM my secret pockman flats vanquish build is squashed. In the past i have shared many tips in this forum and i am asking for advice on how to stop these ice Goems from running. they are hard to corner. anyone who can help counter backfire would be helpful too. thanx guys.

-KK

Kylie McDiarmid
22-01-2009, 05:56
i made such a stink about farming that all the other farmers here hate me. lol. sorry if i offended anyone i was only trying to save our builds, but 74 views and no reply's? ice golems running? storm chasers using backfire? (besides OF - changing my elite throws off my whole build.) I've contributed a lot in the past here. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated folks

-Kylie

Auntie I
22-01-2009, 13:35
I personally have always said that Arenanet was not getting their information from treads on forums. Not when they have all the data in the world just sitting on their own servers. So having done my little "I told you so!"

Farming...don't bother myself. I didn't think Ele's were still being used that much for farming. Still based on what you are asking, I'm not sure there is a solution. The behaviour of the mobs is programmed in, not something that a couple of skills can do a whole lot about. For Backfire, about all you can do is bring some Hex removal or skills that don't trigger it. Nasty, evil skill...one of my favorites to avoid.

Kylie McDiarmid
22-01-2009, 16:45
thank you Auntie I and yes - you did tell me so so I'm going to post some farm threads in here to share that i have found work quite nicely, as an apology for being a B*tch before lol

-D

Nechtan Thaumaturge
23-01-2009, 19:52
Well, I was struck by your contrition and decided I'd offer some advice.

You can take advantage of an AI tendency to corral the Ice Golems somewhat. They will generally run to their left to get out of trouble. So, you want to draw them against a left-hand wall while simultaneously standing in front of them so that they don't slip away. It's a bit difficult to describe in words, but if you aggro the Ice Golems then turn around and retreat a fair way while hugging the terrain on your left, you should see what I'm talking about.

While they are stuck like this, you can fire off most of your spells without having to worry about them running away, the exception being Lava Font (or anything similar, like Firestorm or Bed of Coals.). Also, don't cast spells too close together, about one every three seconds is the right speed.

Finally, it seemed to me that if I killed the non-aggressive Ice Golems first, then some of the other ones became non-agressive and started running around as well. I might have been seeing things, though. If such is the case, however, you'll probably want to switch to ranged damage spells and take out the active Ice Golems first.

As far as dealing with Backfire, there are a couple of options, but you're going to have to change your build up quite a bit, in all likelihood.

You can get around it directly by using Obsidian Flesh. However, that means you'll probably have to bring Glyph of Swiftness also and suddenly you've only got three skill slots left for damage. Beyond that, you're walking around at 50% speed which can be a let down when you're playing mostly PBAoE spells. On the other hand, you won't have to worry about Lightning Orb or Virulence either.

You can negate the damage. The most obvious way of doing this is to run a 330 hp E/Mo with Protective Spirit + Stoneflesh Aura, but you might find yourself lacking energy (I didn't try this out) even with something like Balthazar's Spirit. Plus, you'll need special armor.

You can kill the Storm Riders without using Spells. Apart from simply wanding them to death, there are some fairly usable untyped skills that won't activate Backfire, e.g., Ancestor's Rage. The one I'd recommend, however, is Lightning Touch.

In fact, I'd combine the second and third recommendations and suggest something like this:

Lightning Touch
Whirlwind/Teinai's Wind
Aftershock
Ash Blast
Ether Prism {Elite}
Stoneflesh Aura
Stonestriker
Mantra of Earth

Earth Magic: 16
Air Magic: 11
Split the rest between Energy Storage and Inspiration Magic

When you hit a group of Storm Riders, try to ball them up a bit. Then spam Lightning Touch. Whenever you need to re-cast Stoneflesh Aura, hit Ether Prism about halfway through the activation (this will protect you from Backfire's effect). Every other time, follow with Stonestriker before Ether Prism dies out. If you don't need to re-cast Stonestriker, then take the opportunity to use Aftershock.

You also want to use Ether Prism against the Flash Gargoyles. Time it to counter their Lightning Surge + Lightning Orb combo. Apart from that, just kill them quicker than they can kill you.

I use Ash Blast to deal with the Carrion Devourers, just make sure to knock them down first with Whirlwind so you're blinding them as well. As long as you can take them on one at a time, they are manageable. I didn't have much luck against the Plague Devourers, incidentally, which will probably keep you from vanquishing with this build.

No particularly special tactics are required for the Stone Elementals, just work the Whirlwind + Aftershock combo.

Ok, that should give you some ideas. Hope it helps!

Kylie McDiarmid
28-01-2009, 09:30
Well, I was struck by your contrition and decided I'd offer some advice.

You can take advantage of an AI tendency to corral the Ice Golems somewhat. They will generally run to their left to get out of trouble. So, you want to draw them against a left-hand wall while simultaneously standing in front of them so that they don't slip away. It's a bit difficult to describe in words, but if you aggro the Ice Golems then turn around and retreat a fair way while hugging the terrain on your left, you should see what I'm talking about.

While they are stuck like this, you can fire off most of your spells without having to worry about them running away, the exception being Lava Font (or anything similar, like Firestorm or Bed of Coals.). Also, don't cast spells too close together, about one every three seconds is the right speed.

Finally, it seemed to me that if I killed the non-aggressive Ice Golems first, then some of the other ones became non-agressive and started running around as well. I might have been seeing things, though. If such is the case, however, you'll probably want to switch to ranged damage spells and take out the active Ice Golems first.

As far as dealing with Backfire, there are a couple of options, but you're going to have to change your build up quite a bit, in all likelihood.

You can get around it directly by using Obsidian Flesh. However, that means you'll probably have to bring Glyph of Swiftness also and suddenly you've only got three skill slots left for damage. Beyond that, you're walking around at 50% speed which can be a let down when you're playing mostly PBAoE spells. On the other hand, you won't have to worry about Lightning Orb or Virulence either.

You can negate the damage. The most obvious way of doing this is to run a 330 hp E/Mo with Protective Spirit + Stoneflesh Aura, but you might find yourself lacking energy (I didn't try this out) even with something like Balthazar's Spirit. Plus, you'll need special armor.

You can kill the Storm Riders without using Spells. Apart from simply wanding them to death, there are some fairly usable untyped skills that won't activate Backfire, e.g., Ancestor's Rage. The one I'd recommend, however, is Lightning Touch.

In fact, I'd combine the second and third recommendations and suggest something like this:

Lightning Touch
Whirlwind/Teinai's Wind
Aftershock
Ash Blast
Ether Prism {Elite}
Stoneflesh Aura
Stonestriker
Mantra of Earth

Earth Magic: 16
Air Magic: 11
Split the rest between Energy Storage and Inspiration Magic

When you hit a group of Storm Riders, try to ball them up a bit. Then spam Lightning Touch. Whenever you need to re-cast Stoneflesh Aura, hit Ether Prism about halfway through the activation (this will protect you from Backfire's effect). Every other time, follow with Stonestriker before Ether Prism dies out. If you don't need to re-cast Stonestriker, then take the opportunity to use Aftershock.

You also want to use Ether Prism against the Flash Gargoyles. Time it to counter their Lightning Surge + Lightning Orb combo. Apart from that, just kill them quicker than they can kill you.

I use Ash Blast to deal with the Carrion Devourers, just make sure to knock them down first with Whirlwind so you're blinding them as well. As long as you can take them on one at a time, they are manageable. I didn't have much luck against the Plague Devourers, incidentally, which will probably keep you from vanquishing with this build.

No particularly special tactics are required for the Stone Elementals, just work the Whirlwind + Aftershock combo.

Ok, that should give you some ideas. Hope it helps!

wow. thats alot to digest and i am going to try it all. thank you so much :wave:

-Kylie