PDA

View Full Version : Bought the Trilogy and would Like advise for PVP

toonsRus
22-07-2009, 21:57
I thought I would try this game out adn really want to do some PVP and would like some advice about getting started.

Also what class would be good. My friend who plays say mesmer is nice but its sounded a bit complicated for a noob to start with?

What do you guys think?

P.S im not asking what the best class is as dont want to be OP as I am sick of unbalanced pvp in wow and am hoping here it is more balanced.

Completely open to suggestions

Nochtflamir
22-07-2009, 22:04
1) Find a helpful PvP guild

2) Pick a class, find out what skillsets you need, and unlock them (PvE, or RA/whatever to get Balth faction)

Mesmer is a bit complicated compared to other classes, but it's not super hard to figure out. Best thing about PvP chars is if you don't like it, just delete and make a new one, you lose nothing.

toonsRus
22-07-2009, 23:51
I am so lost tried making a PVP char to get strait in but no luck finding guild etc or and dont really understand this unlocking skills stuff if anyone can be my yoda and explain it would be great ty.

Could not even figure out where to jump in arenas =C i know i know im a noob =C

Nochtflamir
23-07-2009, 00:01
ok...unlocking a skill

PvE
You can buy the skill at a trainer - NPC with [Skills] or [Hero Skills]
You can be awarded skills as part of quest reward(Prophecies, Signet of Capture)

PvP
You can unlock skills by spending Balthazar faction at [Faction Reward] NPC.
Any normal skill you get in PvE carries over to any PvP character on the account.

As far as getting a guild, check the Guild Recruitment (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94) sub-forum here, look for a casual PvP guild (for now).

I would recommend playing a PvE character, at least through one campaign, so you will have some understanding of the game when you go to PvP...you can also unlock some key elites along the way, so you will have a good build to PvP with.

Tzalaran
23-07-2009, 00:14
there will always be skills that are abused because they aren't perfectly balanced, but in GW there is no instagib works in all situations build or team (that i've found at least).

if you are only interested in PvP, think about purchasing the PvP unlock packs for Proph, factions, and/or NF. it will be $30 more that you spend ($10 each iirc), but there will be no need to unlock any skills for your PvP characters then, and you can focus your unlocks on gear that you need. (or get the PvP equ unlock pack, and just unlock the skills you need would be another option). There is a good list of unlocks for when first starting chars on the wiki somewhere (maybe i can find the link at home).

as to unlocks: playing in PvP arenas (Random Arenas, Zaishan Challenge, and the starter tutorials in the Isle of the Nameless are available at the start i believe) will earn you Balthazar Faction (Balt is god of war in GW mythos). amount of faction earned depends on the arena and other factors, but suffice it to say that you earn Balt faction by Pvping. once you have earned 5,000 faction, speak to the priest of Balthazar in Great Temple of Balthazar or in your guild hall. a window will open with 3 tabs, heroes, gear, and skills. from this menu, you can unlock heroes, PvP equipment, and skills on your account. (PvE chars unlock these things by adventuring in PvE, identifying drops, and so forth). Those are the basics of how to unlock skills, equipment, and heroes (for hero battles mainly... another PvP arena that is 1player +3 heros vs. 1player+3 heroes)

if you are looking for a guild, there is a recruitment center in this forums that would point you in the right direction. (my guild is looking for PvP players for a GvG team, and we are all new to PvP. PM me here if interested)

hope that helps

toonsRus
23-07-2009, 08:31
Thank you guys for explaining a bit. I think it might be a good idea like you say for me to play through the campaigns to get used to it adn get unlocks on the way. Do class choice matter when unlocking? As in do i need to make sure I play the class I want to pvp with? I tried Mesmer to lvl 6 yesterday but I think it might be too complicated for me at the moment as seem like you need to recognise what your enemy is doing etc. Def looks fun but I was thinking maybe a Ranger or Ritualist/Derv for now, Are they ok?

Reply to Tzalarn

I play in europe dos that make a diffrence? i.e are we all on one server or one for EU and one for US? A link to that unlocks page would be really helpful ty. ONe more question, when you say 1 player and 3 heroes do you mean npcs? Dont you just get 4 people against 4 people.

Sorry if these question seem so noobish just hard to get head round this as been playing wow for last 4 years.

Tzalaran
23-07-2009, 13:53
here is a link to the recommended unlocks (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Auron/UnlockFirst) when starting out. (only applicable to PvP chars)

as to playing through campaigns, that is really up to you, but it will help with getting some of the basic unlocks for each profession. After you get to where you change your secondary profession (usually about halfway through the campaign) you can get unlocks for every class on whichever PvE character you make.

in regards to the different classes, each needs a level of battlefield awareness to play effectively. mesmers and rangers are 2 that need this more than others based on the shutdown nature of those classes (mes and rangers are the main interrupt/disruption classes in GW). I'd suggest going with the one that interests you the most and just practicing with it, as playing something else just may not be fun to you. (i personally don't care for playing a few roles and i'm sure most people are similar). Each class has a niche, and they can all be effective in a role (in PvE... some classes have no real use in high end PvP). if the Rit interests you, i find it to be a good class to learn basic game mechanics, but honestly i'd stick with your mesmer and get comfortable playing it if that class interests you, as other classes will not play the same way as a mesmer, and the only way to get better with them is to play them.

Hero battles are 1 player with 3 NPCs against another player and 3 npcs. Random and Team arenas are 4 players on 4 players with no NPCs, and Heroes Ascent is an 8 vs 8 arena. most of the other PvP modes have NPCs, with various degrees of importance put on the NPCs.

We don't mind European members, but we only have 2 others, so it might be frustrating for you to have a guild that is only on when you are on weekends. There are plenty of Euro only guilds that may fit your needs better than my guild would, but if you ever need some assistance in game, hit me up and if i'm not already occupied i'll give you a hand.

IGN: Tzarcour Halcouz (my monk char, and what i play most often now)
hope this helps.

toonsRus
23-07-2009, 14:31
Thank you so much for your help and maybe ill stick with my Mmesmer for now. Might get a melee char to as might be simpler till i get used to things. My biggest worry with mesmer is looks really complicated. Almost made a Warrior but then I think everyone prob does that so it puts me off it hehe.

How is Monk to lvl btw is it just heal spells or can they be good offensively too?

Thanks for the unlock link I am going to look at that now

Just read up on paragon that seem quite intresting too what do you think? half my battle is i cant decide on a char. Once I do ill prob fly thru campaign to get some of those unlock and enjoy the pve side of things. Hopefully then I wont feel like such a noob and be more comfortable with getting going pvp wise.

Ha the more i read the more confused i get lol Derv looks fun too as well as ele. Gonna take me 6 weeks to decide lol

Tzalaran
23-07-2009, 15:33
you're welcome, and i'm glad i could help.

monks aren't too bad, and through the smiting line they have some good damage potential, but the role of a monk in PvP is 90% of the time damage prevention and straight healing. smite monks in PvE can rip through mobs though.

my main has been a Paragon for 2.5 years. i think it is a very friendly class for new players (ranged physical), but doesn't have much potential in organized PvP (with a few exceptions), but excels in PvE mixing damage output with party support. i'm personally not a big fan of dervishes (they bore me), but i know people who love playing them and they think i'm crazy (and they have a point).

It is good to get experience with each class, as you better understand what your teammates (and opponents) capabilities are. Elementalists are another class that is pretty user friendly to start with (my wife plays an ele as her main, and she's never gotten bored with her).

with a regard to your future in GW, warriors, rangers, mesmers, elementalists, and monks are the main classes for PvP. you will see gimmick builds from the other 5 classes, but in general the potential in GvG for the main 5 classes is greater than the others in organized PvP (i don't agree with this philosophy 100%, but it is the consensus opinion of the majority of the PvP crowd, and they make valid points to back up their arguments).

good luck, and feel free to get ahold of me in game if you need any assistance. (i'm on evenings Central US time, and most of the weekend, and i generally only don't reply if i'm in a PvP match and don't notice the message).

Alaris
23-07-2009, 15:57
Too long, didn't read... but here's some advice to get started in PvP.

1) Get in a Guild that does PvP, you'll get lots of helpful advice there. Make sure you tell them that you just started playing GW, so they don't expect a pro.

2) Do casual PvP, like Random Arena, Jade Quarry, Fort Aspenwood, and Alliance Battles. These are more forgiving to new players. Avoid Guild vs Guild or Heroe's Ascend until you get better at the game.

3) Look up pvxwiki. It's a good place to find ideas of what can work.

4) Pick a class based on your personal playstyle preferences. The classes are pretty well balanced. One thing though, although healers (monks especially, but ritualists too) are quite helpful in a group, they are in low supply high demand. This is also true of PvE.

Good luck!

toonsRus
23-07-2009, 21:41
What about ritualist? As offensive and droping lots of spirit guardians?

Tzalaran
23-07-2009, 23:27
What about ritualist? As offensive and droping lots of spirit guardians?

good in PvE, PvP tends to favor the defensive side of rits.

with the Sunspear Rit skill Vampirism, and 3-4 other spirits (bloodsong, shadowsong, destruction) you can really assist the party offensively, combine with Ritual Lord {E} and explosive growth to buff that even more. that leaves room for Union and recuperation as party support and you have a well rounded spirit spammer for PvE.

my survivor is a rit (rank 1), the above is the basic build he has run forever, i've dropped shadowsong for draw spirits so that i can set up destruction, summon other spirits, and then once destruction has recharged i run into the mob and summon my destruction into their midst (RL makes binding rituals recharge in a little under half the normal time). then back off and watch them pop when i summon a new destruction. repeat until mob is dead, popping up spirits whenever they die.

this ignores the resto line (healing and party support), as well as the item spells and weapon spells available to Rits. Very versatile in PvE, and pretty fun to play imo. (going rit/necro with spirits or weapon spells and minions has always looked fun to me... and this ignores the Rit/X farming builds that exist as well...)

toonsRus
23-07-2009, 23:56

with the Sunspear Rit skill Vampirism, and 3-4 other spirits (bloodsong, shadowsong, destruction) you can really assist the party offensively, combine with Ritual Lord {E} and explosive growth to buff that even more. that leaves room for Union and recuperation as party support and you have a well rounded spirit spammer for PvE.

my survivor is a rit (rank 1), the above is the basic build he has run forever, i've dropped shadowsong for draw spirits so that i can set up destruction, summon other spirits, and then once destruction has recharged i run into the mob and summon my destruction into their midst (RL makes binding rituals recharge in a little under half the normal time). then back off and watch them pop when i summon a new destruction. repeat until mob is dead, popping up spirits whenever they die.

this ignores the resto line (healing and party support), as well as the item spells and weapon spells available to Rits. Very versatile in PvE, and pretty fun to play imo. (going rit/necro with spirits or weapon spells and minions has always looked fun to me... and this ignores the Rit/X farming builds that exist as well...)

I went with your tip of elementalist in the end got to only lvl 5 so far but I am really enjoying this class so far =D

Ill see how i get on but it def feel like something i will like and lvling it so far has been nice and easy =D

ty so much for your help so far

toonsRus
24-07-2009, 14:34
My friend told me that ele is really not that great for pvp nemore =C

never had a game so long before i got my teeth stuck in lol.

toonsRus
24-07-2009, 14:42

My try this one later then, I dont have a problem with playing defensively so long as i get to fight rather than sit at back being a healbot (played Healers in wow Arenas for ages so bored of it).

Just want something thats fun and dont want to spend ages lvling a char to have to restart it again cos of unlocks etc.

Tzalaran
24-07-2009, 15:59
My friend told me that ele is really not that great for pvp nemore =C

never had a game so long before i got my teeth stuck in lol.

well, i disagree 100% with your friend.

MB ele
MoI snare ele
e/Rt flag runner
blindbot ele
even an earth ele with wards and /rt for additional defense would be worthwhile in PvP.

the first 3 are all META builds, with the 4th still being common in arenas (the last is just something that would work in HA/GvG i think). thats all 4 elements as a unique build, i've rarely, if ever, seen a PvP (GvG/HA specifically) team build that didn't have an ele of some sort.

the only classes that are more common than ele are monks and warriors, and wars will get dropped in ele spike teams (monks are needed in most every PvP team, as nothing else fills that role nearly as well).

toonsRus
24-07-2009, 19:04

well, i disagree 100% with your friend.

MB ele
MoI snare ele
e/Rt flag runner
blindbot ele
even an earth ele with wards and /rt for additional defense would be worthwhile in PvP.

the first 3 are all META builds, with the 4th still being common in arenas (the last is just something that would work in HA/GvG i think). thats all 4 elements as a unique build, i've rarely, if ever, seen a PvP (GvG/HA specifically) team build that didn't have an ele of some sort.

the only classes that are more common than ele are monks and warriors, and wars will get dropped in ele spike teams (monks are needed in most every PvP team, as nothing else fills that role nearly as well).

Well i enjoy it so still gonna play it as well. All this unlock business is confusing the hell out of me tho.

Is it easier to just lvl a char to 20 then use pvp to unlock stuff? Can I say play ELE to 20 which will hopefully unlock some things then pvp with it at 20 and unlock skills for other class so i can then just start a pvp char and use the skills that way?

Tzalaran
24-07-2009, 19:20
Be warned: equipping PvE characters for PvP will break you!

i have one of each profession in PvE, plus an additional perma pre warrior. i was up to 100k +20 ectos in wealth before outfitting my characters for PvP, and i now have to scrounge money off characters to send guest invites... (i'm not exaggerating much here either... 2k and 7ectos left i think)

The best way would probably be to use your PvE char to unlock as many skills and items as possible through playing the PvE storyline, and then make PvP characters and unlock the specific things you are missing for those. i would not recommend going the route i have, as it is very costly to buy different armor sets, weapons, mods for weapons, shields, and the list goes on and on and on... for each character (and i ignored my rit, derv, necro, and ele when equipping, the majority of my investment going to my monk, mesmer, and paragon as war and ranger were already geared up for the most part).

i would suggest taking your ele through most of the campaign you started in (i'm assuming Proph in this). Once you get to Lions Arch, take the quests to get to cantha and NightFall. pick up max armor in KC (factions), and play through Nightfall to unlock some heroes and good skills. Then return to LA and continue through that campaign until completing the second attribute point quest from Droknar's Forge in the southern shiverpeaks. at that point, you can either complete prophecies or work through Factions and Nightfall. after you have played through half of each of those, you will have enough skills and items unlocked that making PvP chars and playing them will be worthwhile, and you will be able to use the faction you gain through PvP to complete unlocks you need for builds.

hope that helps. :)

toonsRus
24-07-2009, 20:04
Be warned: equipping PvE characters for PvP will break you!

i have one of each profession in PvE, plus an additional perma pre warrior. i was up to 100k +20 ectos in wealth before outfitting my characters for PvP, and i now have to scrounge money off characters to send guest invites... (i'm not exaggerating much here either... 2k and 7ectos left i think)

The best way would probably be to use your PvE char to unlock as many skills and items as possible through playing the PvE storyline, and then make PvP characters and unlock the specific things you are missing for those. i would not recommend going the route i have, as it is very costly to buy different armor sets, weapons, mods for weapons, shields, and the list goes on and on and on... for each character (and i ignored my rit, derv, necro, and ele when equipping, the majority of my investment going to my monk, mesmer, and paragon as war and ranger were already geared up for the most part).

i would suggest taking your ele through most of the campaign you started in (i'm assuming Proph in this). Once you get to Lions Arch, take the quests to get to cantha and NightFall. pick up max armor in KC (factions), and play through Nightfall to unlock some heroes and good skills. Then return to LA and continue through that campaign until completing the second attribute point quest from Droknar's Forge in the southern shiverpeaks. at that point, you can either complete prophecies or work through Factions and Nightfall. after you have played through half of each of those, you will have enough skills and items unlocked that making PvP chars and playing them will be worthwhile, and you will be able to use the faction you gain through PvP to complete unlocks you need for builds.

hope that helps. :)

I started in factions for some reason i think i must have just clicked thru. Sry to be a pain but basically what you are saying is I should play thru each campaign on one pve char and that will unlock skills for my pvp chars even if a diffrent class? At that point i can just earn pvp points to buy the skills i am missing?

Tzalaran
24-07-2009, 21:24
I started in factions for some reason i think i must have just clicked thru. Sry to be a pain but basically what you are saying is I should play thru each campaign on one pve char and that will unlock skills for my pvp chars even if a diffrent class? At that point i can just earn pvp points to buy the skills i am missing?

yes and no. i'll try to clairify. (and you're not being a pain, i've had people help me so i try to do the same in order for Karma to not smite me. :cool:)

since you started in factions, once you get to Senji's Corner (beat Nahpui Quarter mission) you have the ability to change your secondary profession. you should do this for each of the 7 professions that are available in Factions (because you are an ele, ele is not available to you as a secondary profession). by doing this, you will unlock the basic skills for each profession on your account, and your PvE ele will have access to all of them. from then on, at any skill trainer, you can change your secondary and view the available skills for that class from that skill trainer, and can buy any skill you like, unlocking it for your PvE character, as well as your account. PvP characters have all access to skills that you have unlocked on your account, and you can change PvP char professions in any outpost (or anyplace where you can adjust your skillbar). Nightfall and Proph, as well as Eye of the North, offer skills that are unique to that campaign for all professions (Proph has no A, Rt, Derv, or Para skills, while factions has no Derv or Para skills aside from faction allegiance PvE only skills).

So once you have many different skill trainers available, and have unlocked all secondary professions on your ele, you will be able to purchase skills for any class that you need. This unlocks them for both your ele, and account (PvP chars). likewise, gear (insignias and runes for armor, inscriptions and weapon mods for weapons and shields) will be unlocked as you ID blue, purple, and gold items. e.g., my Paragon is adventuring and a foe drops a gold armor piece. normally, i would just salvage the armor for crafting materials, but because it is gold, that means it has a rune and/or insignia on it. i use my Identification kit and lo and behold upon the armor is a Rune of Superior Vigor. by iding this armor, i have unlocked the Superior Vigor rune on my account (and a little window will appear on your screen informing you of this), allowing all of my PvP characters to have access to the +50 Health rune from that point forward, while my Paragon can salvage off the Rune from the armor (with a chance of destroying the armor in the process) and put it onto one of his armor pieces, sell it to another player, or put it on a hero, and so forth.

This basic process will allow you access to the inscriptions, runes, weapon mods, and insignias in the PvP equipment window without spending Balthazar faction to unlock them. Note: only Gold Weapons and armor will unlock the perfect mods, with a couple of exceptions of Purples (defensive staff heads can be max on purple staves in my experience). So taking one character through the PvE storyline of each campaign will unlock multiple skills and equipment options without costing balt faction, allowing you to save your Balt faction for unlocks that you really need.

(i'm currently giving all my blue and purple armors to my youngest son to ID, to help him gain more unlocks for his PvP chars... need to start giving gold weaps to him as well, but i still need those for my wisdom title...)

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. i'll help as best i can. :smiley:

toonsRus
26-07-2009, 12:59
Starting to get to grips with it now. Found Id Kits and Salvage kits after reading your last post.

So if I id purple items I can use on my other chars?

Im slowly learning things but its so diffrent from wow lol

Indigo Montari
26-07-2009, 18:31
short answer - yes,
Any item you find can be switched to your other characters to use. The only time your other characters can not use an item is when that item has been customized by taking it to a weapons npc.