PDA

View Full Version : Need Monk Help

Ancient Sky
06-09-2009, 01:24
I loved playing monk in PvE, and I love playing in PvP, so I decided I would give monking PvP style a go.

However, I've encountered a few problems...

I couldn't react fast enough to keep the team alive, so I read some other posts on the forums about PvP monking, and found that Monks should NOT be clicking on party members or skills, due to the inefficiency.

After I gave that a go, I found myself in even more of a pickle as trying to trigger which party member was which number and which skill went with which binding became a huge issue.

Another post said that field awareness is an important thing to learn while monking, so I turned my party menu off so that I would be forced to look at the middle of the screen, and see which party member was taking damage, etc. However, that turned out even worse as I had trouble focusing on who was / wasn't taking damage.

From my past PvE monking, I think it has ruined me for PvP as I am extremely used to clicking on skills and staring at the party member screen.

If anyone could give me some extra tips, or where/how to practice to be a better monk, or even give an estimation on how long I should practice, or how long it would approximately take to somewhat master / get used to the keybindings for everything, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ancient Sky.

Fluffball
06-09-2009, 06:44
I am by NO means a great monk, but I like to click the avatar of the player being attacked with my mouse while using the number keys to activate the skills.

Whatever works best for you, I think a combo of mouse/keyboard is the fastest. I sort of suspect the opposite of my combo is the best (select the player via keyboard and activate skills via mouse) but that requires you know what player is what very well; probly works best with voice.

I definitely keep the party list up so you can tell if someone is taking damage that you'd be unable to tell from the "graphics" area alone (degen, hexes, power spiking or whatever.) To quote 40-Year Old Virgin, "use your peripherals".

Ancient Sky
06-09-2009, 22:24
I appreciate your post, I'll give that a go, and if I don't see much improvement maybe I'll just stike to monking in PvE and using my War for PvP ^_^

Wethospu
07-09-2009, 06:26
The very point of closing the party menu is to learn. So it is ok to screw up. :D

komatous
28-12-2010, 14:38
Ya and dont worry about people flaming in pvp most ignoramuses cant understand the concept of progress.

Akirai Annuvil
29-12-2010, 20:04
How long it takes to get used to a control set is dependant on the person. There's no global estimate. For me, 20-40 minutes.

However, I've encountered a few problems...

I couldn't react fast enough to keep the team alive, so I read some other posts on the forums about PvP monking, and found that Monks should NOT be clicking on party members or skills, due to the inefficiency.

After I gave that a go, I found myself in even more of a pickle as trying to trigger which party member was which number and which skill went with which binding became a huge issue.
If you prefer clicking on avatars that's fine as well. Skills are good to learn by button, but it's less of a priority than field awareness.

Another post said that field awareness is an important thing to learn while monking, so I turned my party menu off so that I would be forced to look at the middle of the screen, and see which party member was taking damage, etc. However, that turned out even worse as I had trouble focusing on who was / wasn't taking damage.
Field awareness is very important. Good monking is proactive - the red bars only show the results of everything which is happening, if you're monking by them you're monking reactive which is bad. You want to prevent big damage from landing, not heal whoever has taken damage. Use guardian, shielding hands or soa (called small prot) on the opposition war's target - if there's some kind of glow or light around his attack animation, spirit bond or protective spirit is appropriate, unless it's a green glow, then small prot is fine. Knocked down targets are prone to take big damage, so use spirit bond (or ps).

Remember that you can practice field awareness in pve as well. You're never finished practicing battle awareness, but you can reach the point where it's sufficient to win 70-80% of the RA matches in a day's steady play. It's good to learn anyway, tunnel vision (staring at the redbars) is a bad habit to develop in any part of your life.

MOTHER****ING THREAD NECRO.

The Moses
29-12-2010, 20:48
I used to have the same issue when i first started out PvP monking from pve. It's a big change of pace but you'll notice a few similar tactics you've learned from pve that can be applicable in pvp.

One thing is being aware of the field of whats going on and seeing the animations of the opposing team, for instance it's really easy to tell which target the opposing melee is either going to converge to by looking at where they are headed for ex. if you see a warrior ready to start hitting you or any of your squishy team mates don't feel afraid to put a small prot on them, (usually consist of Rof, Soa, Guardian...etc.) that way you won't have to heal as much.

Another thing that helps me out alot is listening to the sounds of whats going on around me. You can easily tell when a bull strike or Diversion is about to land on you by just listening, which bring me to another thing. Learning how to time Shield bash or balanced stance if your using them. Cause usually a good melee will just wait out the 5 seconds before they start using their skills. It can also be very deadly to sins when you can time it to interrupt their lead skill so all you have to deal with is a mosquito trying to bite at you.

Personally i did the same thing as you did except i changed my interface so that i can click on my skills or team mates in a reasonably easy fashion as fast as possible as well. Generally alot of the people in the pvp community prefer to push buttons for team mates and skills but i'm too used to clicking on my team mates and pressing the number the skill is associated with, thats seems to have always worked for me so i'm happy with it.

Also generally try to keep up and adapt to the meta your playing in. Currently from exp I'm finding it relatively annoying that Ra has alot of hexe's and conditon's so i've been playing around with my PnH and liking it alot.

P.S. Only reason people recommend to take off team display off is so that you don't zone out and only look at red bars and being reactive, just another way to pratice field awareness.