PDA

View Full Version : Prophecies Fire-mage Build

Repentance
30-03-2010, 04:57
PvE

I'm about a month into Prophecies, and throughout that time I've been told many things about fire/elementalist builds. Right now I've got:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6305/gw010rv.jpg

Flare - Spammable
Immolate - useful intil Rodgort's Invocation
Fireball - spammable/damage
Phoenix - damage
Firestorm - support for party
Ether Feast - for when I'm low on hp
Glyph of Lesser Energy - to spam immolate and fireball
[x] - changeable

I'm looking for a build for a party support/dps fire mage. I'm currently focusing on fire magic and energy storage attributes so I can spam fireball and immolate, or at least until I get some better spells (rodgort's + fire attunement?).

Any suggestions? GREATLY appreciated

Wüstenrose
30-03-2010, 09:39
Fire Attunement and Aura of Restoration are very strong options for energy managment.
Do you only have Prophecies, or did you just started there and have other campaigns as well?

Nemeon Lion
30-03-2010, 12:43
There is only one skill that allows a fire mage to have both support and damage on the same atribute, and that's Mind Blast, which is from Nightfall.

Besides that, there won't really be a lot of support you can have from Fire.

Either way, you should really care about builds once you hit level 20 or near that level, since you'll have more skills at your disposal.

But to answer your question, and going for a pure damage build since it's the easiest for now, change Flare for Fire Attunement (if you only have Prophecies, you can use Elemental Attunement for the elite) when you can, change Phoneix for Rodgorts Invocation and Fire Storm for Searing Heat (the reason is the AoE-flee effect, the 10 second Fire Storm will trigger it, the 5 second Searing Heat won't).

Pretty much else is good.

Alaris
30-03-2010, 16:45
If you just got to Lion's Arch, then it'll be a while before you can get elites, so don't worry about them for now.

Fire attunement can be gotten via The Royal Papers (Fishermen's Haven). Otherwise it's harder to get. It's worth getting a run there if you know someone who can help you with that.

Aura of restoration can be bought in Ascalon city. That should replace ether feast.

Then the best thing you can do is start using more expensive nukes, so you can kill foes faster. I don't know enough about elementalists to really help beyond that, sorry.

Reality Impaired
30-03-2010, 17:33
Remember that you can cap normal skills with a signet of capture as well as elite ones.

You should be able to get Flame Burst, Searing Heat and Mark of Rodgort early by using a SoC in the Jungle. Assuming you want to play the game as intended and not get a droks run. Lots of people like the wonders of meteor shower.... Personally I was never that impressed, but lots like it.

You can also cap Glyph of Elemental Power in the same way, which will increase your fire damage more. You will want to push your fire attribute up a bit more, possibly at the expensive of Energy Storage. Once you get fire attunement and Aura of Restoration running your energy is unlikely to be as much of a problem.

Once you get a few more levels under your belt consider using your mesmer seconardy for arcane echo to give you two copies of the more damaging spells.

Build wise, you might want to check out a few runes, especially a head piece with a fire bonus (add a fire rune) to increase your damage a little more.

If you want more in the way of party support, then (at higher levels) consider putting some points into earth magic and bringing some wards or a snare like grasping earth. (Personally I played full earth once I reached the southern shiverpeaks).

Rea

Alaris
30-03-2010, 17:46
Signet of capture is a great idea.

Meteor shower is a powerful skill if used right. And that's the thing, it's hard to use it right, especially in early game. It's long cast time and duration makes it unlikely that foes will take the full damage, as they are likely to move out of the AoE or even die before you get much damage out of it.

It's a great skill to combo with some glyph that makes its cast time instantaneous... Or you can use it in a tank & spank strategy. But otherwise, it's hard to use this skill properly.

Wüstenrose
30-03-2010, 19:16
Meteor Shower is an AoE disruption skill, not a damage skill, and should be used as such. If you keep this in mind you'll find out rather quickly when this skill is useful and when not.

Alaris
30-03-2010, 19:43
Well, meteor shower is a disruption / damage / snare / cleansing / lolworthy / KD skill, really. The main problem is in using it effectively.

Nemeon Lion
30-03-2010, 21:37
Earthshaker warrior + Meteor Shower is something that pops in my mind. Plenty of KD's to keep things in place.

That is, as long as they can be KD'ed.

Akirai Annuvil
30-03-2010, 22:14
You're generally on the right path (expensive nukes+e-management=good) but two things you need to remember:
1) Flare is bad. Imagine that every attack you make costs 5 energy. That would suck huh. That's what Flare is. The damage isn't much above a max req. wand, but it costs you energy, a skill slot and is easier to disrupt.
2) It's hard to combine good fire DPS with good utility. For good fire DPS you need to max the attribute and use runes + headgear. But Fire Magic doesn't have any good support. That leaves few attribute points for good utility and party support. Lastly, you'll need to sacrifice your elite for energy management. It's doable, but you'll want Elemental Attunement or Mind Blast - maybe Glyph of Energy might work as well.

Repentance
30-03-2010, 22:58
@wustenrose: no, I only have prophecies. Yea i'm thinking about fire attunement as well, and i've replaced my [x] with aura restoration.

@reality impaired: i've just recently got Arcane Echo, and currently I'm finding it super useful in spamming meteor shower while I have a ritualist giving me +7 energy regen xD

@akirai: yup, i've noticed that flare sucks too. I'm thinking of getting a friend to help me cap elemental attunement sometime soon. I've also almost abandoned the party support idea, since my party seems to be mostly made out of healers, tanks, and necros who can raise golems. also, my all-seeing eye headgear is now replaced with fire eye, so I can raise my dmg some. As for runes...which ones do you suggest? I have a major fire rune (+2 fire, -30 hp), which I'm thinking of getting on my fire eye.

Nemeon Lion
31-03-2010, 00:46
I have a major fire rune (+2 fire, -30 hp), which I'm thinking of getting on my fire eye.

For PvE, that's good enough.

Never use Superior runes, they aren't worth it. The only exception are Superior Vigors obviously.

Repentance
31-03-2010, 04:38
For PvE, that's good enough.

So I'll just major-fire-rune all my 60AP armor (at droks forge when I get there), and I'm set for runs like Ascalon --> Kryta at lv20 without getting killed?

Nochtflamir
31-03-2010, 05:39
So I'll just major-fire-rune all my 60AP armor (at droks forge when I get there), and I'm set for runs like Ascalon --> Kryta at lv20 without getting killed?

No...1 rune that boosts fire on headpiece...

For runes, you can only use 1 each:
+ attribute
Vigor (minor/major/superior

fill the other 3 parts with:
Vitae(+10 Hp each)
Attunement (+2 energy each)

upier
31-03-2010, 07:12
Never use Superior runes, they aren't worth it. The only exception are Superior Vigors obviously.
Keep in mind when you are playing with hence, those guys have 480HP.
Which means you can easily use a superior rune and still have enough HP to not having to worry.
Pretty much the first time I noticed that Sup runes might be a problem was when I entered Realm Of Torment on my mesmer who ran all energy runes (outside of a major vigor) and 2 sups a few years ago.

Repentance
31-03-2010, 07:39
fill the other 3 parts with:
Vitae(+10 Hp each)
Attunement (+2 energy each)

So:

Headpiece - Major Fire Rune
Chestpiece - Attunement
Leggings - Attunement
Gloves - Vitae
Boots - Vitae

although, sometime later I might replace one of the vitae with another attunement for runs and spell spamming

The Boz
31-03-2010, 09:40
Don't bother with Attunement runes, they're not as helpful as they seem. Survivor insignia on all pieces and Vitae runes on everything except for three parts, which should be minor/major fire, minor energy storage and the best Vigor you can spare.
As far as builds go, I really love all the cool things you can do with Mark of Rodgort. If you combine it with Fireball and Meteor, you get a minimum of eight seconds of burning on adjacent targets. Burning is 7 health degeneration which means it deals 14 damage per second. While Rodgort's Invocation is damn sexy, MoR + the rest is more widely useful. It turns Flare into Immolate, Fireball into Rodgort's Invocation and makes simple wanding (with a fire damage wand or staff) deal pretty good damage.
But feel free to experiment, that's almost half the fun!

Gorani
31-03-2010, 13:51
So:

Headpiece - Major Fire Rune
Chestpiece - Attunement
Leggings - Attunement
Gloves - Vitae
Boots - Vitae

although, sometime later I might replace one of the vitae with another attunement for runs and spell spamming

Don't run Attunement runes
Try to get 12+1+1 Fire (max Fire + headpiece + Minor Fire) and 12+1 Energy Storage
Add the biggest Vigor rune you can get + 2 Vitae

Insignias are another choice you have to take
Survivor: adds another 35 health, which is always nice
Blessed: adds +10 AL while enchanted
Radiant; +7 energy
vs. Elemental type: Flameforged could be useful in end game Prophecies

I would prefer Survivor, because you can add +5 Armour with a staff of choice anytime and you should not have problems with Energy

Concerning your skill bar, try this:
Aura of Restoration => you cast spells, you gain health, works well if you don't run out of energy (which you should not anyway)
Fireball => You ge that from a skill quest, so it should be in your "spellbook" already
Meteor => gained in the Maguuma Jungle
Lava Font => I don't care what everybody else says, this creates a constant damage zone around you which damages and scares away attackers.
Mark of Rodgort => cap that one from the Fire Imp Boss in Talmark Wilderness, which isn't too far from Lion's Arch.

Later a good choice for Prophecies only skill setups is Elemental Attunement, which in combination with Fire Attunement lets you dish out the heavy hitting skills like Rodgort's Invocation almost on recharge

Wüstenrose
31-03-2010, 14:02
If you use multiple runes with a prefix (minor, major, superior) only the hightest will give you its bonus, but you receive the penalty for all of them. E.g. if you use two major fire runes, you'll only get +2 to fire magic, but your maximum health will be reduced by 70 (2*35).
+energy is less beneficial the more energy you already have, Attunement runes and Radiant insignias are very rarly useful for an ele or a caster in general.

Your first max armor should be upgraded as versatile as possible so you can switch your build easier. Concrete:
Head (Fire) - Minor fire rune
Chest - Major/Superior health rune
Legs - Minor energy storage rune
Hands - Minor air rune
Feet - Minor earth rune

Later, buy a head piece for Air, Earth and Water and equip it with the appropriate minor rune, buy an additional hand piece and equip it with a minor fire rune, and buy an additional foot piece and equip it with a minor water rune. Equip all armor pieces with Blessed insignias (+10 armor while enchantet).
This way, you can play nearly any ele build with nearly full effectivity for the cost of only slightly more than 1.5 full armor sets; the only difference between a "perfect" armor will be at most 20 less maximum health points.
Later on, when you've find your favorite builds, you can still buy additional armor pieces to have the "perfect" armor for those builds.

Reality Impaired
31-03-2010, 16:42
Equip all armor pieces with Blessed insignias (+10 armor while enchantet).
This way, you can play nearly any ele build with nearly full effectivity for the cost of only slightly more than 1.5 full armor sets; the only difference between a "perfect" armor will be at most 20 less maximum health points.

This is a great point and money is often forgotten, especially for people with restrictions. Blessed Insignia are about 100g each, Survivor are often close to 1000g... Unless you have max (Armour Level [AL] 60) armour you run the risk of loosing the insignia when you salvage them. I'd advise going with blessed until you get max level armour, at the very least. If you have the cash, then you can consider survivor, if not, just stick with blessed, they are cheap and effective.

Rea

Alaris
31-03-2010, 16:53
Until max armor, I usually just put one upgrade per armor part. So when I salvage it, if it breaks, I don't lose an upgrade in the process.

It's not terribly important to upgrade asap, you just need to upgrade enough to keep with the increasing difficulty, and that is usually less than available. In prophecies, I often upgrade only half of my armor to the new max AC, and wait until the next higher AC level to upgrade the other half.

And if you find some area difficult, then consider levelling and upgrading.

Repentance
01-04-2010, 01:38
If you use multiple runes with a prefix (minor, major, superior) only the hightest will give you its bonus, but you receive the penalty for all of them. E.g. if you use two major fire runes, you'll only get +2 to fire magic, but your maximum health will be reduced by 70 (2*35).
+energy is less beneficial the more energy you already have, Attunement runes and Radiant insignias are very rarly useful for an ele or a caster in general.

Your first max armor should be upgraded as versatile as possible so you can switch your build easier. Concrete:
Head (Fire) - Minor fire rune
Chest - Major/Superior health rune
Legs - Minor energy storage rune
Hands - Minor air rune
Feet - Minor earth rune

Later, buy a head piece for Air, Earth and Water and equip it with the appropriate minor rune, buy an additional hand piece and equip it with a minor fire rune, and buy an additional foot piece and equip it with a minor water rune. Equip all armor pieces with Blessed insignias (+10 armor while enchantet).
Later on, when you've find your favorite builds, you can still buy additional armor pieces to have the "perfect" armor for those builds.

that helps A LOT! thank you so much

The Boz
01-04-2010, 17:04
Actually, if you have the money, it's better to buy several headsets and four of the cheapest other armor parts, like boots. That way you can switch to any element by changing the headpiece and, if needed, the boots too if you have a dual-element set up. So a headpiece of minor air, water, earth and fire, and boots of minor air, water, earth and fire, as well as vitae boots for single-element builds. Costs a bit more, but is a heck of a lot more efficient.

Wüstenrose
01-04-2010, 19:57
Actually, if you have the money, it's better to buy several headsets and four of the cheapest other armor parts [each with a minor rune of every elemental attribute], like boots.(...)
This is even better effectivity-wise as you will only have at most 10 max health less compared to a "perfect" armor.

Btw: I suggested Blessed instead of Survivor insignia not because they're cheaper, but because they're imo the better insignia for an ele primary.