PDA

View Full Version : Guardian: Reveal vs. Expectation & Comments

Gorani
24-01-2011, 13:41
Well i just made a post in the speculation thread saying what might be the proffesion, however i just found out it is infact confirmed.

The new Profession is the Guardian proffesion as revealed by PC gamer

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/21/big-10-of-2011/3/

http://tsukasakamiya.zn3twork.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Guardian-proffesion.png

Also people asked the PCgamer article guy via twitter if that was speculation or an early leak. He had this to say.

http://tsukasakamiya.zn3twork.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Guardian-reveal.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/jaugustine

The third page doesnt reveal skills or anything, basically just confirming the name at this point, probably saving the skills for Anets official reveal most likely next week.

So yeah, we have our new proffesion, the Guardian :grin:

[ EDIT ]

Regina stated that the full reveal will be on Thursday the 27th of Jan, thanks to Shawn for the Link.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=518576&postcount=140

- Tsukasa

Ringsgold
27-01-2011, 13:54
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/guardian/

Weapons: Two-handed hammer.

Sounds good, I wonder if it becomes a viable caster when played using a staff.

raspberry jam
27-01-2011, 14:00
Yay finally!!

First impression: The line right at the top of the page (below the picture) just screams "here's your tank class"...

EDIT: Yep it's a tank. Those Lines of Warding could be used to push mobs together maybe, for easy AoE killing.

Agreed with Alaris, virtues sound like a cool idea.

Alaris
27-01-2011, 14:12
Virtues sound cool, especially that you can keep them on yourself or active them on allies.

Spirit weapons?!? Summons for warriors! OMG AWESOME! I did NOT expect this!

Choice of weapons is sucky. What, no bow or rifle? All right fine, at least they have staff & scepter.

Sounds like a lot of your support effect will be via wards and shields, which means you have to put yourself between foes and allies. Sounds interesting enough, but it really doesn't sound like a paladin's healing.

Akirai Annuvil
27-01-2011, 14:14
Just checked the site. Currently checking the vids (slooooow loading). Not sure how much I like the skills yet.

They switched the Zealot's Defense and Hammer of Wisdom vids. That explains alot.

Shield of Absorption
Creates some kind of ward which absorbs incoming fire. Probably shield skill.
(Same vid) Holy Bolt like ability. Probably the Scepter auto-skill.

Faithful Strike
Simple Jump Slash ability. Probably Sword skill.
(Same vid) Aegis being discharged. Fairly large range.

Zealot's Defense BUGGED, 27-01: Hammer of Wisdom vid instead.
Summons a slow attacking Hammer. Does seem to body block. Can deal damage by being discharged (according to text, also KDs. Target dies prior to extra effect in vid).
(Same vid) An axe attack skill. May be a chain skill, unclear.
Wields an axe and shield in vid. Hammer is probably optional skill.

Wall of Deflection
Creates some kind of ward which deflects incoming fire. Possibly hammer skill.
(Same vid) Probably charged, hammer attack skill. Initial expectation: the longer the skill is charged the further the target is knocked back.

Hammer of Justice BUGGED 27-01: Zealots Defense vid instead
Weird skill. Looks to be a maintained stance where the user automatically fires some kind of blue razor beams back at its (most recent? all frontal? currently unknown) attacker(s). Probably shield skill.
(Same vid) Teleport/run skill, probably sword attack.

Scutilla
27-01-2011, 14:14
I admit, a big grin broke out when I saw the new blue splash page on the site instead of the one for the manifesto trailer that's been up for months.

The class looks pretty much how we expected: paladins, or monks with full plate. I see the guardian even uses the monk's blue ankh symbol in a couple cutscenes :grin:

The details of specific skills are interesting- looks like PBAoEDoTs (aka Symbol of Wrath) are back in. That skill was considered pretty useless back in GW1, but may be better in a melee-oriented character. Aegises sound like a RoF-flavored skill, while wards are like Ward Against Foes (except they're a wall instead of a snare). Spirit weapons are especially cool, a summon rather than the buff ritualists had- kinda like D&D "dancing" weapons.

I'm guessing "virtues" are the class's primary mechanic. They sound like a retool of what signets used to be- equip for a passive buff, activate to lose the buff until it recharges in exchange for an instant effect.

The videos are awesome as always, though being a melee characters the skills aren't quite as flashy as the spellcasters.

I expected I would want to make my sylvari one of these, and seeing it in action confirms it. Overall, this would have been an exciting reveal if we hadn't had so much time to figure it out. Here's to hoping we don't have to wait until June for profession #6 :laugh:

Leonora Windleaf
27-01-2011, 14:21
Looks very interesting so far. It's definitely a class that I will play.

I'm also liking the "Charrdian" and *gasp* asura guardian (Asurdian?)

Vana
27-01-2011, 14:27
I love the idea of the wards. Especially if some of them affect ranged attacks as well (I can't see the videos right now but I image wall of deflection would). Virtues are pretty cool too. Site doesn't say anything about their actual survivability. I'm hoping that they'll be less solid than warriors (or perhaps on par with) with virtues recharged, and a lot easier to damage with virtues down. You know, to put them in a 'defensive' rather than 'tank' box.

Nemeon Lion
27-01-2011, 14:30
I love the idea of the wards. Especially if some of them affect ranged attacks as well (I can't see the videos right now but I image wall of deflection would). Virtues are pretty cool too. Site doesn't say anything about their actual survivability. I'm hoping that they'll be less solid than warriors (or perhaps on par with) with virtues recharged, and a lot easier to damage with virtues down. You know, to put them in a 'defensive' rather than 'tank' box.

Wards do not affect projectiles or attacks, only movement, but there is a skill in their arsenal that reflects them (you can see it in the skill videos).

Mehtis
27-01-2011, 14:32
Slow site is slow. But not too bad. I want to see the skills before commenting more.

Akirai Annuvil
27-01-2011, 14:33
I'm currently most curious whether they're able to use staves as melee combat weapon. Bo staff yeah!

Tyris Requiem
27-01-2011, 14:34
Zealot's Defense look's wow, so shiney. I like. ;D

And yea looks like they switched the hammer of wisdom and zealots defense vids.

On a side note looks like they got 2h weps in now ;D, unlike the demo from a few months back

EDIT: For people having trouble with the website vids being slow:

Low Quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1K6YPcOfbw
Better Quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o_ACmhozQE

Mehtis
27-01-2011, 14:50
I'm currently most curious whether they're able to use staves as melee combat weapon. Bo staff yeah!

Based on Wall of Deflection, this seems to be the case.

Got to see the videos. Some interesting skills, though I would have liked to see an example of a Ward. Faithful Strike seemed to show Courage being passed on. Won't probably be my amongst my top classes, but still an interesting choice. Like the emphasis on positioning in the skills.

Tsukasa Kamiya
27-01-2011, 14:53
That's it, I'm DEFINITELY making a Guardian as my main rather than a Warrior. :grin:

And did my eyes deceive me? or did the Guardian in what i presume is the "Zealots defense" vid teleport / shadowstep / light speed run in front of the npc before deflecting the attacks back?

The site is running slow so wasn't sure if it was just video lag, but it looks like the Guardian glows blue then teleports in front of the NPC, looked frickin awesome.

And i may have missed it, but im guessing the summon-able weapons that fight with you then disappear are the Guardians "Profession ability" similar to Necro's life force and rangers pets?, didn't see any conformation as to what their special trait is, sorry if i missed it, just so excited over these vids and info :grin:

Also wasn't expecting the party buffing to come from sacrificing your own buff, so as i understand it, for solo players, they cast the buffs and keep them, but to make them party wide you have to end it for yourself and disable it for 20-30 seconds for the party / allies to get it?.....interesting concept, very much liking it so far :grin:

Zealots defense was the best out of those vids imo, totally sold the Guardian to me xD

- Tsukasa

Akirai Annuvil
27-01-2011, 14:55
I think he was wielding a hammer, not a staff in that vid. Take a look at the head of the staff, it looks to have a mallet attached.

Vana
27-01-2011, 14:56
Looks like some kind of funky hammer to me in the Wall of Deflection vid.

And I think the teleport thing was an attack skill.

Mehtis
27-01-2011, 14:57
I think he was wielding a hammer, not a staff in that vid. Take a look at the head of the staff, it looks to have a mallet attached.

Oh... Now I see it. Well, a shame.

Resolve is the new Mending.

Juiced
27-01-2011, 14:58
Sounds somewhat like a wammopa

"No I will not give my mending away for 120 seconds just to help some of you, how will I counter my vampiric weapon mod otherwise?!?!?!!?!!!one!!?"

"Mhuahahaha, burning shield, EAT THAT!"

Anyways, I'm not too thrilled by the guardian. It sounds like a holy warrior and I never been a big fan of those. They deal less damage than a real warrior, but have a touch of good in them which makes them able to aid allies in surviving.

I'd rather help enemies in dying which gives allies a bigger chance of surviving, instead of helping allies survive while they are too terrible to kill anything :tongue:

Dunno how they will work out in structured PvP though. Time will tell.

Alaris
And i may have missed it, but im guessing the summon-able weapons that fight with you then disappear are the Guardians "Profession ability" similar to Necro's life force and rangers pets?

The guardian's profession ability I think is the virtues (they weren't clear on that), the 3 passive buffs that once you activate it passes on to allies.

The spirit weapon summons seem to be regular skills.

Akirai Annuvil
And i may have missed it, but im guessing the summon-able weapons that fight with you then disappear are the Guardians "Profession ability" similar to Necro's life force and rangers pets?

Guardians have three special virtue abilities--Justice, Courage, and Resolve--that grant them passive benefits in battle. They can choose to activate a virtue, extending a powerful version of these benefits to their allies, but disabling their own passive ability until the activated virtue has finished recharging. The guardian virtues are:

* Justice—Every fifth attack causes burning. Use this skill to make nearby allies' next attacks cause burning. (This disables your Justice for 30 seconds.)
* Courage—Every 30 seconds you are granted Aegis, blocking the next attack. Use this skill to apply Aegis to all nearby allies. (This disables your Courage for 120 seconds.)
* Resolve—You regenerate health. Use this skill to remove conditions and apply Regeneration to all nearby allies. (This disables your Resolve for 120 seconds.)
These look to be the out-of-skill bar special skills.

The weapon spells look to be similar to Necromancer summons. Probably optional slot (not a weapon skill). Activate to summon. Activate a second time to discharge the summon for a special effect.

Sir Jack
27-01-2011, 15:00
Class seems interesting to play. I think I found a successor for my warrior here, so I can outsource Warrior to Norn or Charr.
Vids aren't working for me though :sad:

Akirai Annuvil
27-01-2011, 15:07
Interesting note:

Aegis—Guardians are adept in the use of Aegis, a removable boon that blocks the next attack. Guardians have access to this boon through the virtue of Courage.

Aegis is a boon. It's removable (so apparently, not all boons are). They are adept at using it; they have acces to it through the virtue of courage. They do not mention whether this is the only source of the boon.
Boons were implemented to simplify the hex/enchantment system; from what we've heard they sound a lot like the positive version of conditions (quickly applied, quickly stripped, buffs). This would probably mean there are other sources of this boon. This boon is a single charge attack blocker. Sounds like a prot. No other profession seems to have a way to use this boon. Could be profession specific, could be it's also useable (though less stereotypical) by an unrevealed profession. My money is on the Mesmerlike.

kokabel
27-01-2011, 15:08
After a couple of watches of the video, I'm unsure how to feel. I'm trying to tell myself that just because it looks like a facerolly Paladin type, doesn't mean it is... I hope.

Spirit Weapon summons? I liked that idea.

Tsukasa Kamiya
27-01-2011, 15:09
The guardian's profession ability I think is the virtues (they weren't clear on that), the 3 passive buffs that once you activate it passes on to allies.

The spirit weapon summons seem to be regular skills.

These look to be the out-of-skill bar special skills.

The weapon spells look to be similar to Necromancer summons. Probably optional slot (not a weapon skill). Activate to summon. Activate a second time to discharge the summon for a special effect.

Doh! *Smacks head*

Clearly a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees :embarassed:

That makes more sense then, thanks for clearing that up guys, totally missed that one.

So trying to understand that, if i have Justice activated, every 5th attack causes burning for me, so when i pass that on, does the buff cause allys to cause burning with their 5th attack just once? or does it remain on them permanently too? meaning once my Justice has finished being disabled, i can just reactive it and we all have burning with every 5th attack?

Can't wait to learn more of the Guardians skills, we need another demo or a beta now to see it truly in action :grin:

- Tsukasa

MojoRisin
27-01-2011, 15:10
Am I the only one who noticed that nearly all the Guardian's abilities were in fact MAGIC? I recall seeing him use the sword and shield to actually defend or fight once or twice, but the rest of it looks and sounds like magic, which is worrying.

Dracanas
27-01-2011, 15:20
Did I.......did I see a form of jesus beam in that zealot's defense video?

*manly tears of joy*

I now have a class that will replace ranger as my first choice

Akirai Annuvil
27-01-2011, 15:21
Symbols sound a lot like on-attack, short duration banners.
Spirit weapons are essentially chain summons, (Summon) -> (Effect) --> (Summon) -> (Effect) --> (Summon) -> (etc). I wonder if they have a cooldown and if so, when it is applied. At every arrow or only as after(Effect)? This question also applies to Necromancer summons, which function similarily.
I'm wondering whether Wards really are only the skills which stop enemy movement or whether they're the skills which stop hostile movement. An arrow or fireball is hostile movement, but not a hostile enemy (it lacks sentience).
Lastly, some skill specific things like, does shield of absorption absorb hostile AOEDOT effects present in its area (like wall of fire) and does wall of deflection spread AOEDOT effects outward (and would that create an explosion or a ring of fire).

Vana
27-01-2011, 15:24
Doh! *Smacks head*

Clearly a case of not being able to see the forest for the trees :embarassed:

That makes more sense then, thanks for clearing that up guys, totally missed that one.

So trying to understand that, if i have Justice activated, every 5th attack causes burning for me, so when i pass that on, does the buff cause allys to cause burning with their 5th attack just once? or does it remain on them permanently too? meaning once my Justice has finished being disabled, i can just reactive it and we all have burning with every 5th attack?

Can't wait to learn more of the Guardians skills, we need another demo or a beta now to see it truly in action :grin:

- Tsukasa

Use this skill to make nearby allies' next attacks cause burning.
Only their next attack will cause burning, and you attacks won't for the next 30 seconds.

That's what I was wondering too, Akirai - regarding the wards. It'd be pretty sweet if you could run into the middle of an AoEDOT and scatter it. And setting up a ward to stop incoming projectiles would be cool as well - like a basic protective wall that just stops the next hostile projectile and then disappears (sort of a gw2 equivalent of RoF).

Alaris
27-01-2011, 15:27
So trying to understand that, if i have Justice activated (...)

While passive, justice makes every 5th attack inflict burning. When you activate it, it makes all allies' 1st attack inflict burning, and cooldowns. You have no passive effect during the cooldown.

Am I the only one who noticed that nearly all the Guardian's abilities were in fact MAGIC?

Guardian is a hybrid warrior/magic. Most attacks (except scepter, and maybe staff) are physical attacks like the warrior's (with a bit of magic inflused maybe). Wards, spirit weapons, virtues etc sound like they're mainly holy magic.

I don't see what's worrisome about that. The distinction between magic and physical in GW2 seems to be more lore than balance. Without cross-over of profession, the difference between magic and physical mainly have to do with the few skills that affect physical/magic differently (e.g. block physical attack, daze) of which we know very little of at the moment...

You could argue that warrior shouts are magical, and so are many of their attacks...

Akirai Annuvil
27-01-2011, 15:31

They can choose to activate a virtue, extending a powerful version of these benefits to their allies, but disabling their own passive ability until the activated virtue has finished recharging.

To translate it in GW skill description:

Justice
Energy cost: 0
Cast time: 0
Cooldown: 0
Virtue. When not disabled, every fifth attack you make inflicts Burning for X seconds. When activated, this effect is dispelled. The next attack skill of all allies in range inflicts burning for X seconds. This skill is disabled for 30 seconds.

Gorani
27-01-2011, 15:33
On a side note:
We only see humans in those videos, as well as environments we have already seen (Kryta & Shiver Peaky mountains). I was kind of hoping to see a Sylvari for a first time. The screen shots had Asura & Charr guardians too.

To be honest, I need to see the skills in a game situation to really have to evaluate them.

Alaris
27-01-2011, 15:44
To translate it in GW skill description

or...

Justice:
Cooldown: 30 seconds. Energy cost 0. Cast time 0.

Virtue. The next attack skill of all allies in range inflicts burning for X seconds.

(Passive effect) While not recharging (or while recharged), every fifth attack you make inflicts Burning for X seconds.

To be honest, I need to see the skills in a game situation to really have to evaluate them.

Well, yeah, but it does give a pretty good idea of what gameplay will be like for blue mace ladies.

Tsukasa Kamiya
27-01-2011, 15:45
Thanks for that guys, guess I'm so excited I'm not reading things properly, Akirai that was the perfect way to describe it, thanks alot :grin:

So it basically creates an effect similar to the paragons "Anthem of flame" (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Anthem_of_Flame) . pretty interesting.

The last thing I'm not 100% on, is it says you can pass these buffs on to your allies.

So is that restricted to party member "Allies" only? or if I'm facing the shatterer for example while not in a party and activate Courage to give others the Aegis buff, does it effects nearby player / NPC "Allies" that aren't in my party?

Judging from the videos where they are defending NPC's, I'm going to guess that it effects all players / npc's in the range, even if they aren't in your group, but just looking for clarification on that.

Also i only just noticed this, but did anyone else notice that when the Guardian started using Zealots defense, the shock wave of the attacks and reflections caused the grass and flowers to blow over then back to their normal position?

Only a minor thing, but i just thought that was really cool how the plant life / background moves realistically now, might have been picked up in earlier videos, but i just noticed it so thought I'd share :grin:

- Tsukasa

Смерть
27-01-2011, 15:46
I'm not interested in playing this class, but I do have to say it was pretty cool how far he launched the Grawl when using Lines of Warding, :laugh:.

Skyy High
27-01-2011, 15:49
So...it's a paladin that can only actually heal through a short regeneration boon every 2 minutes?

The coolest part about this guy is, by far, the ability to place ground-targeted walls and wards. Everything else....not my cup of tea. But hey, at least we know that one profession won't be the end-all-be-all supporter in GW2. Guardians look like they have great prot, but if they don't get any decent healing abilities it'll be up to the eles and necros to redbar...if people still want to try to Trinity it up.

Oh, also, to raspberry: remember when we were talking about getting r-spiked in WvW? I'd like to replace my "lol whirling defense" comment with "LOL WALL OF DEFLECTION". What's better than surviving a spike? Surviving it and killing all of your attackers. XD

KEK Master
27-01-2011, 15:49
Eh. I'm not all too impressed with the guardian as I thought I'd be.

Wish I could see some other classes (ie charr/SYLVARI) in action with this class. (In my opinion, a Charr guardian would like kinda silly and futuristic)

Overall it seems like something I'd have as a toon, but not my main.

Alaris
27-01-2011, 16:05
Not that paladin would have been my main anyway, but guardian seems a lot different from paladins, and a lot better in my opinion. Good thing they didn't call it paladin, as that would be confusing.

About the trinity, I have less and less confidence that this will be viable. I think that it'll be a stretch to make trinity work with the current mechanics. The roles are a lot more blurred now, and a lot more flexible.

Exciting times.

Guardian has good melee and ranged opportunities, but I wonder if it's possible (and viable) to play as ranged-only. Paladin-like effect is proactive, requiring positioning and prediction, which is awesome. Redbarring is comparatively skill-less and boring, so I'm happy with that.

Skyy High
27-01-2011, 16:06
I'd say that the guardian is one of the professions we've really tried to focus on as a support profession. I know a lot of people are concerned that we've made a character that's going to be required for a successful adventuring party, but from the ground up, we've been making sure that isn't the case. You don't need to have this character in every group, but it's still an amazing, fun character. And there are plenty of people here at the office who love playing it.

JP: Yeah. You look at this character with heavy armor and glowing blue light around him, and you might think that Arena Net just completely went back on what it said about no specific healer roles, no specific tank roles, and so on. But it's just not true. The combat system is where that assumption breaks down since the way the guardian plays is really going to come down to player preference. This character, like all of Guild Wars 2's other characters, can do a little bit of everything. He may appeal to a certain type of player, but ultimately, the game is all about finding the players you want to play with--not the professions you want to play with.
linky (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars2/news.html?sid=6286994&tag=gumballs;subtitle;3&mode=previews&page=3)

I'm willing to believe that they won't be "tanks" in the traditional sense, because it seems like most of their abilities are applied to allies, not just themselves. They're party protectors and buffers, like paragons or prot monks, not just tanks.

Nohjo
27-01-2011, 16:18
All I can say is: wow.
First of all, I'm really surprised at how well the game looks. Its so damn pretty.
Second, the guardian really looks like an awesome profession to play.

In the gamespot interview, on the final page, there is a picture with the words 'guilwars 2 will launch later this year'.. I skimmed through the article, but could not find the source.

Alaris
27-01-2011, 16:27
A staff-wielding guardian is going to be more of a support character who hangs out in the back, while a hammer-wielding guardian is going to be in the front, dealing damage.

Oh awesome, I want to hear more about that...

Vana
27-01-2011, 16:36
All I can say is: wow.
First of all, I'm really surprised at how well the game looks. Its so damn pretty.
Second, the guardian really looks like an awesome profession to play.

In the gamespot interview, on the final page, there is a picture with the words 'guilwars 2 will launch later this year'.. I skimmed through the article, but could not find the source.

They're just guessing and hoping.

Like a year and a half back, some guy from Anet said that they expected it to probably be release some time in 2011.

Come to think of it, I think it was actually someone from NCSoft, and he also said that he thought there would be a closed beta in 2010. Chances are he knew absolutely nothing about the progress of the game.

Tyris Requiem
27-01-2011, 16:38
Linky goodness, packed with information on the guardian:

http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/guild-wars-2/specials/exklusives-interview-guild-wars-2-lead-designer-7330/seite-7/

Shallowrain
27-01-2011, 16:39
Kind of want. My brain recoils a little bit, but that is mostly due to self-created blocks and logic gates to avoid whammo mentality. Which could possibly be now slightly encouraged.

If they have a cleave and/or smiting move, I might be unable to avoid taking this class.

Overall I thought it was interesting, and some of the various wards and walls make me think that battlefield awareness is going to be a much bigger thing than in GW1. I also really like the spirit weapons.

bellissima
27-01-2011, 16:55
My brain recoils a little bit, but that is mostly due to self-created blocks and logic gates to avoid whammo mentality.

Ditto.

linky (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars2/news.html?sid=6286994&tag=gumballs;subtitle;3&mode=previews&page=3)

Thanks for the quote... I'm glad they're focused on the issue of not making this a required class. But I'm still nervous. Technically, monks aren't required in GW1 PvE but good luck convincing most groups of that.

The vids look good. The visuals of this game are awesome.

From that other quote, it sounds like staff combat for this class is going to be ranged, not melee. :-(

I'd like to know more about mobility for this class since it seems positioning is going to be key. Do they get sprint type skills to quickly get in front of allies or is the onus going to be more about the other players moving behind wards/walls?

Minionman
27-01-2011, 17:12
Nice to get a new profession, although this one has been speculated to death, so there aren't too many surprises wit hit.

For some reason, I found it harder to understand these skill videos than most of those of the other classes (Perhaps because the physical effects and appearance of the skills aren't as obvious, or the skills themselves are more complex, or other reasons.) The explanations here are helping somewhat, although it would be nice to have the full skill statistics available in a demo to get a more full idea of what they do.

The unique mechanic I'm not so sure of, it seems like the sort of thing where it will be obvious when activate the effects vs. use the passive abilities. It also highly resembles an "aura" idea that I'd thought of (not on the forums, though) for what the unique mechanic for the profession would be, which his kind of worrying. (Normally I'd expect game makers to come up with more interesting/unique stuff that doesn't relate to my own guesses.)

I am definitely interested in seeing what sorts of skills are associated with each weapon. Though we did predict the weapon choices quite closely, the collection of weapons is still nice, and I like that they've kept to the pattern of diverse types of skills and roles from different weapons.

Alaris
27-01-2011, 17:17
About not being required: plenty of classes offer their share of support. While you may choose not to take guardian (or play guardian as melee offensive), you might want some support *somewhere*. Then again, all offensive is ok if you're willing to dodge more. In GW1, dodging wasn't an option against spells... and I don't know why you'd say *healers* were not required, I'm fairly sure they "were" (even though not enforced)... it's pretty hard to play without them.

About staff guardians: I'm excited. It means guardians are actually going to be useful at a range, in a support mode I presume. I'd hate to have a class melee-only as that's too limiting gameplay-wise.

GrimShade
27-01-2011, 17:18
Holy Bolt! Holy Bolt. I'm making a holy boltadin!

Going to have to look more into this guy, not sure if I am going to want my main to be a Guardian or Warrior...

me liky the sword that char has

Zayren
27-01-2011, 17:22
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/03356.gif

Eh, I'm really not liking the sound of wards. Throwing something down so enemies can't past just sounds so.... awful. Do not want.

And it really seems like if you want to have any chance to live, you're going to need some Guardians in your group, since they look to be focused on helping everyone not die.

honk

GrimShade
27-01-2011, 17:25
The Wards were just taken from Elly's and given to Guardians. As most classes will have support I'm sure a Water elly will be able to pull off many of the things the Guardian will. The Guardian sounds more like a party buffer rather than damage dealering monster, that being the key difference between Warrior and Guardian

Akirai Annuvil
27-01-2011, 17:29
Jon: There are no ally targeted skills in Guild Wars 2.
~
Jon: Yes, you can have up to three activated if you slot three spirit weapon utilities.
~
Jon: These are toggle skills. Hit it once to summon, hit it again to command it. Much like necromancer minions, the weapon will target its ability based on the guardian’s own target.
~
Jon: Wards affect movement only. Wards prevent normal movement through an area, but do not stop spells, projectiles, or melee attacks.

This answers some questions.

I doubt water ele's will have the same type of control as prottians. Prottians seem to focus on AoE movement control and protecting from incoming fire.
Water control seems to focus on push and heal mechanics.

Buddah
27-01-2011, 17:38
A brief glimpse into the future...

'Forming Guardianway need 2 more Justice, 3 Courage, and one Resolve.'

Sure looked like a hammer. In that same clip, I was more impressed by the knockdown animations. That is going to be sweet!

Akirai Annuvil
27-01-2011, 18:03
I don't think Guardians are exclusively dedicated to single Virtues. They can activate multiple after another.
I could see a guardianway, with three guardians all buffing one virtue with their traits and rangers with pets (pets seem to be the only announced minions/allies with actual attack skills, should be affected by Justice). All guardians seems ineffective; from the sound of it they're below average damage dealers and not so great as healers.

Alaris
27-01-2011, 18:26
Guardians aren't healers (nobody is, I suspect even water eles will be more effective keeping the team alive with slowdowns than with heals). Guardians are protters.

Also, it sounds like guardians have trade-offs between offense vs defense, as well as solo vs party. You could for example solo with spirit weapons and whatever virtue you want (like the fire or the healing one) and be pretty effective at dps... and only use wards etc to get out of a pickle. In a team though, you might keep doing that (dps + pickle), or flip more towards party buffs (again, offensive or defensive).

What's interesting is that to a large degree, it'll be dynamic, so you can change role based on what the situation calls for.

In contrast, a more dps-focused character might have to bring more defensive skills or even regen between fights to keep up in solo with a balanced offensive-defensive guardian.

Regina Buenaobra
27-01-2011, 18:26

The source wasn't us, that's for sure. We haven't announced a release date. :)

Lensor
27-01-2011, 18:39
Soo, is that a "psych yourself" emote at the beginning of the Hammer of Wisdom video?

Buddah
27-01-2011, 19:13
The source wasn't us, that's for sure. We haven't announced a release date. :)

Better be sooner than later. I'm sitting a couple weeks of vacation time at work just for the release. :tongue:

Skyy High
27-01-2011, 19:29
With the two-handed sword for example, they receive a capability to "link" to an enemy, and bring him back if he moves too far toward them.
Hehehe.....
"GET OVER HERE!"

linky (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.gamekult.com/actu/itw-guild-wars-2-le-gardien-A0000090056.html&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8)

GrimShade
27-01-2011, 19:39
Guardian and Warrior can wear the same armor? I hope that mean can, not do. I'd still prefer different sets for the classes for variety...

Alaris
27-01-2011, 19:48
Sorry Grim, they share the same armor arts. You could make an identical-looking warrior and guardian, they'll only look different once they start using skills on the battle field.

3 armor arts: soldier, adventurer, scolar. They can't afford to make 40 armor arts per style, 15 is already quite a bit (5 races x 8 profession or 3 AC levels).

Guildoholic
27-01-2011, 19:53
*Gasp* Swords shooting lazer arcs via zealot's defence?!?! The anime geek in me wants to make a Guardian first now!

BrettM
27-01-2011, 20:41
Guardians are protters.
I would say closer to smiters, since many of their protection skills seem to deal damage back at the same time. Think "Reversal of Damage" (smiting) compared to "Reversal of Fortune" (prot). Same amount of protection, but one hurts the foe and one heals the ally.

Without the ability to target friendlies and without a party window showing the health/condition of allies, just how does a guardian know the strategic moment to pop off a defense, a condition removal, etc.? Will there be some way to tell if one or more of the nearby players is, say, bleeding badly, so a condition removal would be helpful? Will there be some way to tell if a couple of nearby players have been spiked to very low health and could use a little regen plus some shielding while they recover? Given a long cooldown on the virtues, you definitely don't want to use them carelessly!

What happens if two (or more) guardians use the same skill at the same time on the same nearby players? Say two guardians pop off Courage. Will each ally then get two attacks causing burning? Or will they still only get one attack, meaning one of the guardians has just wasted his time and energy?

Xunlai Agent
27-01-2011, 20:45
The class looks like an intriguing mix of Warrior, Paragon, Ritualist and of course Monk facets. I like the virtues mechanic though balancing passive skills is always exceptionally difficult and this has been proven numerous times in the past in the original. A team with two or three guardians looks to carry some good support without any direct input from the players. I like the flavour of what we have seen so far thought it is impossible to gauge what any of this means in practice. The control element seems rather prevalent for this class, so I am excited to see how this works in practice compared to the necromancer (which seems to be the second most control oriented class thus far).

Interesting blog post on the Guardian reveal by Ravious (http://www.killtenrats.com/2011/01/27/gw2-guardian-profession/)

Alaris
27-01-2011, 20:49
I would say closer to smiters

Some skills are prot, some are smite. But there's really not much in terms of heals.

And yes, I want more info on heal etc. Without interface info and more skill mechanics, it's really hard to imagine how support would play out.

though balancing passive skills is always exceptionally difficult

Keep in mind that (1) the passive is only passive on the guardian, and (2) it's like an active skill when passed onto others (i.e. cooldown, short duration effect).

Balance-wise, it's a lot easier than passives you can fill empty skill slots. The passive is part of what makes a guardian - either in dps or self-heal... and it's *removed* when passed to allies.

Xunlai Agent
27-01-2011, 20:54
Keep in mind that (1) the passive is only passive on the guardian, and (2) it's like an active skill when passed onto others (i.e. cooldown, short duration effect).
Well I was thinking along the lines of soloing, which the Guardian will likely be good at. What I meant is that if they hit the virtue on recharge every time it recycles there will be a significant impact, which may be nearly as good as using it "strategically".

Thalanor Thornhale
27-01-2011, 21:03
It's interesting how some of what I thought would be a mesmer mechanic is incorporated into the Guardian (e.g.: Wall of Deflection).

I think this profession was well presented. I like the emphasize on position for "guarding".

All this makes me wonder even more how the mesmer will be reworked for GW2.

Bilbo Baggins
27-01-2011, 21:16
I'm glad to see others excited about the Guardian. For me personally, I'll have to wait even longer than anticipated for another interesting profession. With the information currently available, my list would be;

1. Ranger
2. Elementalist
3. Warrior
4. Necromancer
5. tba
6. tba
7. tba
8. Guardian

GrimShade
27-01-2011, 21:22
1. Ranger
2. Elementalist
3. Warrior
4. Necromancer
5. Mesmer
6. Hashashin
7. tba
8. Guardian

Fixed.....

MojoRisin
27-01-2011, 21:23
While passive, justice makes every 5th attack inflict burning. When you activate it, it makes all allies' 1st attack inflict burning, and cooldowns. You have no passive effect during the cooldown.

Guardian is a hybrid warrior/magic. Most attacks (except scepter, and maybe staff) are physical attacks like the warrior's (with a bit of magic inflused maybe). Wards, spirit weapons, virtues etc sound like they're mainly holy magic.

I don't see what's worrisome about that.

The worrisome bit is the fact that someone adorning a heavy plate armour would not want to prance around flinging spells at their enemies - why else would they wear the armour? It would only slow them down and make it harder to lift their arms in casting rites.

In addition, why would someone wearing heavy armour not charge into the fray and protect their buddies with blood and sweat, rather than magic? It feels to me this Guardian could just as well have been some Priest-type profession and leave the Shield-work to the Warrior.

Thalanor Thornhale
27-01-2011, 21:26
Now this is new and interesting:

Jon: There are no ally targeted skills in Guild Wars 2. The spirit weapons are summoned for the guardian themselves; however they can still be used to protect allies by activating their abilities against enemies targeting those allies.

Source: http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/guild-wars-2/specials/exklusives-interview-guild-wars-2-lead-designer-7330/seite-10/

GrimShade
27-01-2011, 21:29
Did you see the holy bolt animation? He needs the armor because every time he casts holy bolt he overextends himself and leaves himself completely open. If he didn’t have that armor he would just get bashed in the back of the head after he cast.

I imagine we will see more Warriors running around without shields and Guardians with the shields, how else could they cast Holy Shield?

Смерть
27-01-2011, 21:43
No one else saw this lol?
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3505/22397306.jpg

Tsukasa Kamiya
27-01-2011, 21:55
Here are some snips from the GW2Guru Dev chat that was on an hour or so ago, revealing some new info.

Spoiler tagging it due to the size though

[21:12:14] <Kvinna> <Neok> Can you tell us about an Elite Skill for the guardian?

[21:13:41] <JonPeters> Yes, Guardians have elite skills. Here is one I can tell you about. It is called Sanctuary. It cretes a bubble around the guardian that keeps enemies from entering it. While it exists allies can enter the bubble to regenerate health, but cannot use skills inside of it.

[21:22:11] <Kvinna> <Archaes8> - Now that we've seen the Guardian, we know it's good in groups, but how effective is it in solo combat? Can this class be as much of a heavy hitter as the warrior?

[21:25:56] <JonPeters> We balance every every profession so that they are effective solo and in groups. The Guardian Virtues are built specifically to be held when soloing or used when in a group. There are also many NPCs, and pets that can benefit from activating your virtues as well as other players that you aren't grouped wth but are playing a dynamic event with. The guardian like every othr profession also has many different utilty skills that can allow him to make a variety of builds. A guardian could equip 3 summoned weapons, or 3 shouts.

[21:26:30] <Kvinna> <Lyssa> Can people jump over wards if they get to high enough ground? Will Guardians be considering the terrain when placing their wards down?

[21:27:45] <IsaiahCartwright> All aoes are actually spheres or boxes so if you get high enough you can jump over them but depending on the size of the aoe can jump over it but you will need to get high enough but it's takes cliff or a ledge. This makes placement of aoes very 3 dementional.

[21:45:25] <Kvinna> <DarkWasp> I would like to know if they have any specific examples of cross-proffession combo moves for the Guardian, such as the arrows through firewall combo that Eles and Rangers can do together.

[21:48:33] <JonPeters> Guardian just got in so we are not ready to talk about cross profession combos until we are done finalizing them.

[21:54:03] <Kvinna> <DaS_BrOt_2MaL> How does the guardian's spawned weapons behave AI-wise? Can you order them to attack a certain target? Do they act as klind of a "second auto attack"? Can you send them to certain positions etc?

[21:55:25] <JonPeters> The spawned weapons act similar to a defensive pet. They will defend you if you are attacked and they will attack what you attack. When you command them with their special skill you can pick the target they use it on by using the command skill on that target.

[21:59:40] <Kvinna> <DavidTheHammer> Are you concerned about Guardians being an overly popular class at launch, given the popularity of the paladin/wammo archetype?

[22:05:06] <IsaiahCartwright> Like all our professions we need to make sure no profession is over powered, Guardians are going to be a popular support class but from the start we've made sure they are not the next healer or some invincible tank.

Source is the chat log, posted here.

http://guildwars2.si/2011/01/pogovor-z-razvijalci/#more-2047

The log also countains other gameplay based questions and answers, but i left those out so as not to derail the thread and just copied the Guardian based ones. :grin:

The Guardian just keeps getting better and better for me, Definitely my main now, so long Warrior! xD

- Tsukasa

sorudo
27-01-2011, 21:58
mmm, the name still bugs me, and after seeing what he is suppose to be, naming this prof the champion would fit more........still, it's there call.(maybe templar?)

Erasculio
27-01-2011, 21:59
1. People with a Kindle edition might find the section where we casts a "blue aura" on his hammer in a fight, I won't dig it up in my book now. Why not call that a "weapon spell"?
...So, as expected, the guardian has nothing similar to the old weapon spells.

Erasculio

GrimShade
27-01-2011, 22:27
I was getting the idea it was more like a summonable enchanted hammer. So you could be running around like the Eldritch Ettin with your own enchanted shield crew in tow.

RD
27-01-2011, 22:31
Regarding Sanctuary from the first quote Tsukasa shared - isn't that the same as the Sanctuary spell from D&D?

In the Cross-Profession quote, Jon says "Guardians just got in" - sounds like game isn't as polished as I was hoping. Le sigh.

shawn
27-01-2011, 23:03
Wow, that interview on the german site is horrible. The same goddamn questions get asked over and over, as if the interviewer thinks they're going to trip up and say "YES, WE LIED, THE GUARDIAN IS A NEW MONK AND THEY'RE THE BEST AT DEFENSE, LOL"

The whole article is about 50 variations on "Guild Wars 2 is a different game, all the professions can do a little bit of everything, they just do it differently."

Alaris
27-01-2011, 23:06
It feels to me this Guardian could just as well have been some Priest-type profession and leave the Shield-work to the Warrior.

I see. It's wasteful to wear plate and stay in the backline (but then again, that's what paragons do).

Manwithtwohands
27-01-2011, 23:46
My favourite part of the reveal, was the hammer of wisdom skill.
Specifically the part where dude is doing a little "God Hand" warm up bouncing.
I don't know how to describe it other than that. lol

It's when he is standing on the rock and waiting for the enemies to approach.
I love animation details like that.

CantThinkOfName
28-01-2011, 00:47
I see. It's wasteful to wear plate and stay in the backline (but then again, that's what paragons do).

Yes, and they look damn good doing it. :cry:

I'm so making a guardian.

BrettM
28-01-2011, 01:32
Specifically the part where dude is doing a little "God Hand" warm up bouncing.
I thought that looked a little silly. Like he was a five-year-old waiting for someone to get him a cookie. (Hurry uuuuup, mom!) Or someone who had to go to the head really, really badly but someone else was in there.

I do wonder if that was one of the emotes we'll be getting. If not, I wonder what caused it.

Alaris
28-01-2011, 02:39
Yes, and they look damn good doing it. :cry:

imo paragons look silly.

Enenion
28-01-2011, 04:38
I must say I really like the idea of the guardian giving up some of his/her defense (through the virtues) to protect others. The wards also sound cool to use especially since they are apparently 3d so you can jump over them or there would be ways to use skills to get past them. Savage leap for example might be able to get past the ward since it's an actual leap.

Alaris
28-01-2011, 04:59
Sounds like you'd need to jump pretty high to go over a ward.

The virtue tradeoff between self usage and party usage is awesome.

Buddah
28-01-2011, 06:08
I was getting the idea it was more like a summonable enchanted hammer. So you could be running around like the Eldritch Ettin with your own enchanted shield crew in tow.

What's the fun in that? Now if you can crush enemies with 600+ dmg hits like the Eldritch Ettin...... :rolleyes:

Maybe we can see an acceleration of the class reveals over the next few weeks. Then they can move into the races, and finally release.

shawn
28-01-2011, 11:50
..The races?

We're only getting the five, and they've all been announced. You know, since EoTN?

DELTAg
28-01-2011, 12:29
Well then, another 26362562 years and well get to see the next 2 classes.

Beren Iluthiel
28-01-2011, 13:33
Very interesting class, at least imho, but.... only one video, no animation nor screenshot of silvary (sorry for the spelling) toon...
I'm a little worried, it seems they are very very very far from any conclusion of the work.
Still, they have all rights to release it when it's done (c), but simply it makes me ludically sad.

Skyy High
28-01-2011, 14:39
..The races?

We're only getting the five, and they've all been announced. You know, since EoTN?
Well, sylvari are getting a redesign, and it'd be nice if we saw some race-specific skills. Not necessary, but I'd like to know exactly what kinds of differences we're going to be looking at.

Nemeon Lion
28-01-2011, 14:51
Very interesting class, at least imho, but.... only one video, no animation nor screenshot of silvary (sorry for the spelling) toon...
I'm a little worried, it seems they are very very very far from any conclusion of the work.
Still, they have all rights to release it when it's done (c), but simply it makes me ludically sad.

Only one video with no animation?

What?

The official page lists 5 videos of 5 different skills just like any other profession.

Beren Iluthiel
28-01-2011, 15:18
My apologize, it seems I have problem in page visualization and I can't see the menù on the right of the video.

Zayren
28-01-2011, 15:27
Well, sylvari are getting a redesign, and it'd be nice if we saw some profession-specific skills. Not necessary, but I'd like to know exactly what kinds of differences we're going to be looking at.

Surely you mean race-specific skills?

A race is a huge difference from a class/profession, guys. (Someone else called one of the races a class earlier.)

Skyy High
28-01-2011, 15:32
Surely you mean race-specific skills?

A race is a huge difference from a class/profession, guys. (Someone else called one of the races a class earlier.)
Herp derp yes, my bad. Going back to fix that.

Oh, in case anyone still doubted, guardians aren't tanks. (http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=530569&postcount=75)

One of the main differences between all our professions are their base stats.

The guardian has way less health than a warrior, but he has a fast hit point regeneration. So deciding when to grant the "Resolve" virtue to your allies becomes a very tactical decision.

Alaris
28-01-2011, 15:49
I think a Guardian could *tank* if he wanted to, with all the bubbles he has. But I'm glad to hear that this is not his *role*.

Смерть
28-01-2011, 16:35
I can see the new running build for GW2 "Way of Sanctuary". Instant protected travel as far as you have Guardians lined up next to each other; the people you provided the service runs right through a never ending bubble to those hard to reach places... you really just need enough Guardians to cover the Elite Skill recharge.

Though of course, that is if enemies cannot send projectiles or cast spells on those in the bubble of protection.

Alaris
28-01-2011, 16:58
Consider that you probably need 10+ guardians to maintain a single bubble (I expect a short duration on such powerful spells), I doubt you'll find enough guardians to set this up, and enough paying clients to actually make it worthwhile.

Funny idea though.

Skyy High
28-01-2011, 17:27
I can see the new running build for GW2 "Way of Sanctuary". Instant protected travel as far as you have Guardians lined up next to each other; the people you provided the service runs right through a never ending bubble to those hard to reach places... you really just need enough Guardians to cover the Elite Skill recharge.

Though of course, that is if enemies cannot send projectiles or cast spells on those in the bubble of protection.
I'd do it, once, just for the hilarity of it.

Nemeon Lion
28-01-2011, 18:35
Nah, it's an elite skill therefore it will have a recharge of about 12 minutes for a duration of prolly 20 seconds at most.

Good luck in finding that much guardians and good luck in finding the clients to pay enough for such service.

Tender Wolf
28-01-2011, 18:35
Yay a new profession! Finally! I thought the mesmer would be next but the guardian is okay too. :smiley: Seems very similar to the warrior though, which I thought the warrior was going to be the tank. But it also combines some things from the monk and ritualist, and because it's a guardian, it reminds me of a paragon in some ways. So pretty neat, don't know if I'll play it or a warrior yet, but I did like the looks of that spirit hammer!

Alaris
28-01-2011, 18:41
Seems that they're moving away from tank and towards paragon... the concept of someone getting all foes to target him is history. No more jumping on the grenade with uber-heals to make sure you survive the blast. Now, if you aggro everything, you die.

Now we have the concept of someone impeding the foes from reaching or damaging your allies (or yourself). Sounds a lot more interesting.

imo

Eeeewwww How boring and being a Warrior. Monks are more fun to play then what this is.I really hope GW1 kills this horrible game live long and prosper GW1.

Erasculio
28-01-2011, 20:36
No more jumping on the grenade with uber-heals to make sure you survive the blast. Now, if you aggro everything, you die.

Unless you are a necromancer under Death Shroud aggroing everything on the map and quickly moving everything away from your party, returning to your body once the enemies are far enough.

Alaris
28-01-2011, 21:08
That's just it though, you're not going to stay in one place and take the punishment while everyone else nukes your location.

sorudo
28-01-2011, 21:26
this might just be me, but doesn't the hammer summon spell look a lot like ghostly swords of fable?

shawn
28-01-2011, 22:24
Well, sylvari are getting a redesign

Really? Where was that said, and are there pictures of 'new' sylvari vs old?

Tsukasa Kamiya
28-01-2011, 23:36
Got some more info from GW2Guru, sorry if these bits of info were mentioned already, i dont recall seeing them yesterday and i haven't seen it mentioned yet today.

Originally Posted by rodasta View Post
Am I understanding out of this that all 3 virtues are up at the same time?

Martin: Yes they are. They work like signets - they are constantly active, until you decide to pass them to your allies. Then they go into recharge and are not active - meaning you are pretty vulnerable

Yup, they have separate cooldowns. So you could pass them all to your allies at once, or individually, so a tactical decision again.

One of the main differences between all our professions are their base stats.

The guardian has way less health than a warrior, but he has a fast hit point regeneration. So deciding when to grant the "Resolve" virtue to your allies becomes a very tactical decision.

I have seen the discussion about the name before the reveal - the reason why we choose guardian instead of something more exotic is that it gives you a good idea what the class does.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=530569&postcount=75

Sorry if any of that news was old or obvious, just thought it would be good for people who might have missed it if it was stated before, or for everyone if its new to the thread. :grin:

Also i lost which post it was, but Martin mentioned taking notes on peoples misconceptions of the Guardian, AKA "Paladin / tank", and that there would be a follow up article answering peoples questions or concerns.

I presumed that the Guardian's Virtues were one at a time, so its nice to know a Guardian will always inflict burning with every 5th attack, will get a Aegis every 30 seconds, and have constant health regen, unless of course they disable them to pass them on.

When will the beta get here T______T

- Tsukasa

[ EDIT ]

@ Shawn

It's been known for maybe....5 months or so? that's a guesstimate though, Anet weren't happy with how the Sylvari looked, so they went back and redesigned them.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sylvari

ArenaNet has confirmed that the sylvari have undergone a redesign, completed in October. No further information has been released about the extent of this redesign.

Apparently the redesign finished in Oct, so that's why people really want to see how the new Sylvari look, as of right now, no media has been released showing the new designs =(

Alaris
28-01-2011, 23:51
I presumed that the Guardian's Virtues were one at a time, so its nice to know a Guardian will always inflict burning with every 5th attack, will get a Aegis every 30 seconds, and have constant health regen, unless of course they disable them to pass them on.

Awesome. Love it. Separate cooldowns are awesome too.

DELTAg
29-01-2011, 11:52
Lol'd much at this quote :laughing:

“…a good way to describe the guardian might be to call it a warrior steak with a side of monk potato and a small helping of ritualist carrots all covered in paragon gravy.”

READ MORE (http://www.arena.net/blog/link-roundup-the-guardian)

Skyy High
29-01-2011, 14:37
I can't find the actual quote saying that they're going back and redesigning them (I know it's out there thought), but there's this. (http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/new-sylvari-looksi-t10107.html?t=10107&highlight=sylvari+redesign) Caithe looks different now, compared to the old design (very obvious if you have the GW2 art book).

Age: seriously, if you're gonna troll, make some sense. The most exciting part of playing a monk is prot, and the guardian has prot. Redbarring was never fun, staring at the party window was never fun. If you want to irrationally hate GW2 no matter what, fine, but keep it out of the GW2 forum. Or be labeled a troll. Your choice.

Nemeon Lion
29-01-2011, 15:48
Ignore Age, he says PWI is good.

And people that say PWI is good can't be taken seriously.

Now, the Guardian sounds sexy. I was afraid it would be too focused on solo-defense abilities (aka, tank) but I'm glad to know it revolves around positional defense (wards, symbols, bubbles) then selfish defense (self-buffes, etc).

knightmawk
29-01-2011, 17:09

There aren't any pictures yet because the redesign isn't done

ArenaNet has confirmed that the sylvari have undergone a redesign, completed in October. No further information has been released about the extent of this redesign. (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sylvari)

so sayeth the Wiki.

Sir Jack
29-01-2011, 18:04
I can't find the actual quote saying that they're going back and redesigning them (I know it's out there thought), but there's this. (http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/new-sylvari-looksi-t10107.html?t=10107&highlight=sylvari+redesign) Caithe looks different now, compared to the old design (very obvious if you have the GW2 art book).

Seeing how the old Sylvari were basically Humans + pointy ears + skin colors = Fall Palette, I can only guess it's going to look a bit more like a different race now. They were pretty much the race I was most interested in in terms of backstory and least in terms of look, I hope that changed now.

BrettM
29-01-2011, 19:50
There aren't any pictures yet because the redesign isn't done

ArenaNet has confirmed that the sylvari have undergone a redesign, completed in October.
Did you read the wiki, or just quote it? Just curious, since you use the quote to back up a statement that directly contradicts it. It can't be incomplete and complete at the same time.

Thalanor Thornhale
29-01-2011, 20:04
Again, in all the news flurry, what did you guys think about the tiny news bit that there are no directly targetable ally skills in GW2?

Skyy High
29-01-2011, 20:23
Again, in all the news flurry, what did you guys think about the tiny news bit that there are no directly targetable ally skills in GW2?
Awesome. Hard to be expected to redbar if you can't directly target anyone else. Area-targeted effects require you to watch the battlefield (a woefully underappreciated skill in GW1), while shout-range effects will take the place of normal "fire-and-forget" buffs that people will expect to be able to grant to their party.

Ringsgold
29-01-2011, 20:41
More or less expected. It's really an outdated system for a game revolving so much about movement and placement of skills.

And a very good development :) not much is as immersion breaking as having to check red bars for health % and debuffs, instead of actually looking at the battlefield to see which enemies to focus and which allies are in need of help.

knightmawk
29-01-2011, 20:52
Did you read the wiki, or just quote it? Just curious, since you use the quote to back up a statement that directly contradicts it. It can't be incomplete and complete at the same time.

I read it as "to be completed in October" sorry, my bad. No need to get hostile about it.

shawn
29-01-2011, 22:14
I read it as "to be completed in October" sorry, my bad. No need to get hostile about it.

WTF I JUST WENT TO HOME DEPOT AND BOUGHT THIS PITCHFORK AND TORCH AND I DAMN WELL INTEND TO USE THEM

They weren't even on sale, either. Conveniently... THAT MAKES ME WANT TO RIOT! GRAB YOUR PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES, PEOPLE

Alaris
29-01-2011, 23:11
*sets thread on fire*
*pokes thread with pitchfork*

Giggles
29-01-2011, 23:46
I should pitchfork you. You should have gone to Rona at least.

Ignore Age, he says PWI is good.

And people that say PWI is good can't be taken seriously.

Now, the Guardian sounds sexy. I was afraid it would be too focused on solo-defense abilities (aka, tank) but I'm glad to know it revolves around positional defense (wards, symbols, bubbles) then selfish defense (self-buffes, etc).

That is because you can't play it and my Cleric which is way more fun to play with than this class.It is more like Warrior class as non castor class with heavy armour.Who said castors can't solo even in GW1 most castors can solo over melee types.

Alaris
30-01-2011, 04:46
Age, rewrite that post pls because I can't make sense of it with all the mistakes.

Sounds like you're saying that a cleric is more fun than *a class you never tried* because *the class you never tried* is a warrior not a caster and he doesn't go in melee range?!?

That's not even correct.

shawn
30-01-2011, 08:49
I should pitchfork you. You should have gone to Rona at least.

I don't think we have a Rona around here. Well there might be one in Halifax, but I'm not driving all that way without a pitchfork. Pitchfork first, then you can strap it to the roof of the car. Instant riotmobile.

Leonora Windleaf
30-01-2011, 11:53
Somebody please use a Pitchfork on Age, please. Thank you.

BrettM
30-01-2011, 13:35
Sounds like you're saying that a cleric is more fun than *a class you never tried* because *the class you never tried* is a warrior not a caster and he doesn't go in melee range?!?
I think he's complaining that guardian isn't a pure caster class that stays out of melee, and he would prefer it to be strictly back-line.

Of course, this isn't a very valid criticism. One could equip a staff and play guardian as back line, at least in groups. But the guardian also needs to be able to solo, just like all the other classes. Even eles are no longer pure back line.

Nemeon Lion
30-01-2011, 13:36
That is because you can't play it

Any monkey with 2 brain cells can play PWI.

And I could take this cue to insult you, but I won't. I leave that to others.

and my Cleric is way more fun to play with than this class.

1 - You never played this class.

2 - Your Cleric revolves around applying buffs and playing the redbar mini-game. That's not fun, that's boring.

3 - This class revolves around proactive defense. Go search the internet if you don't know what it means. Proactive defense is actually fun compared to the redbar mini-game. Not as easy as it, but way more fun, and I know that because I played both a healing and a prot monk in GW1.

It is darn Warrior still not actually castor class which doesn't go in melee range.

Just because it isn't a class that stays only behind everyone you think it sucks? Even though you could play it as one?

I pity you...

Giggles
30-01-2011, 14:22
I don't think we have a Rona around here. Well there might be one in Halifax, but I'm not driving all that way without a pitchfork. Pitchfork first, then you can strap it to the roof of the car. Instant riotmobile.

Canadian Tire then?

ps someone has to troll this thread away from trolling with Age

Nemeon Lion
30-01-2011, 14:37
Canadian Tire then?

ps someone has to troll this thread away from trolling with Age

Get me a pitchfork and I'll join ya.

Ringsgold
30-01-2011, 15:20
riot?? does that mean I get to play with molotov coctails??

*grabs lighter, rags and bottles*

shawn
30-01-2011, 15:50
Canadian Tire then?

But then the americans would have went: HOW U G3T PITCHFORK AT TIRE STORE??????

Giggles
30-01-2011, 16:56
But then the americans would have went: HOW U G3T PITCHFORK AT TIRE STORE??????

and how many of them know where they are on a world map? don't worry about it. :wink:

Bilbo Baggins
30-01-2011, 17:13
and how many of them know where they are on a world map? don't worry about it. :wink:

Nah, you keep your pitchfork, we Americans will use our semi-automatics.

Nohjo
30-01-2011, 17:16

I'm afraid this will kill hardcore pvp.

Giggles
30-01-2011, 18:03
Nah, you keep your pitchfork, we Americans will use our semi-automatics.

pfftt if you can find your way.

I'm afraid this will kill hardcore pvp.

why? my feeling is that it will play more like a fps then a typical mmo regarding pvp. I think part of the reason for not having direct targeting is to prevent the omfg mess that it could cause in WvW pvp. you won't be able to coordinate quite the same way so spikes won't work quite the same way. it should be a lot more manageable when groups get big. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm more concerned about small groups sizes of 5.

Alaris
30-01-2011, 18:33
We already have torches. Now we should start a petition to have pitchforks in GW2 (or at least the 1st expansion).

Agreed with giggles about no friendly target... I hope (and believe) that it'll work just fine for support roles.

Tsukasa Kamiya
30-01-2011, 20:28
riot?? does that mean I get to play with molotov coctails??

*grabs lighter, rags and bottles*

This is Guild Wars!

We don't have Molotov cocktails, we have Molotov Rocktails! (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Molotov_Rocktail)

In regards to the no directly targetable ally skills question, i'm very happy with that.

I play a Warrior in GW1, so i dont play my casters as often, but i struggle personally with targeting allies quickly, especially when i play my necro, targeting all my minions for death nova is a pain in the rear, cant imagine how monks handle quickly switching between allies tbh xD

So yeah, ally buffs and heals being AOE based is very appealing to me :smiley:

- Tsukasa

Nohjo
30-01-2011, 21:08
why? my feeling is that it will play more like a fps then a typical mmo regarding pvp. I think part of the reason for not having direct targeting is to prevent the omfg mess that it could cause in WvW pvp. you won't be able to coordinate quite the same way so spikes won't work quite the same way. it should be a lot more manageable when groups get big. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm more concerned about small groups sizes of 5.

Yeah thats what I mean actually, small 8vs8 groups. I can imagine that group heals/benefits in AB like scenario's can work out really well. But indeed, with small groups I can't see how it will work. I don't think tactics and delicate group composition will matter as much as in gw1.

shawn
30-01-2011, 21:36
pfftt if you can find your way.

Continuing the line of thought from a page or two ago, that reminds me. Maybe we should have our e-honeymoon on PEI. We could invite all of gwo to the e-wedding - half would get confused and lost when they don't see any igloos, and the other half would turn around at the first sight of a snowflake.

Giggles
30-01-2011, 22:00
only if you show up in a dress (kilt) and throw logs around.

if there are pitchforks in the game I want to equip that torch as an offhand and create a suspicious villager class. I can chase charr (more likely asurans) like they were Frankenstein.

shawn
30-01-2011, 22:27
Okay, no joke, we have a jumberjack show that goes around to exhibitions during the summer. There's log rolling, axe tossing, pole climbing, chainsaw carving, and canoe jousting. It's awesome, aside from how they've used the same jokes for the last 25 years. Or they do anytime I've seen them, anyway.

Alaris
30-01-2011, 22:55
especially when i play my necro, targeting all my minions for death nova is a pain in the rear, cant imagine how monks handle quickly switching between allies

It's a lot easier to switch targets as monk healing allies than as necro buffing minions because (1) party interface, and (2) generally only 1 or 2 allies are under fire at a time.

Monking is fun, more pre-emptive prots than redbar but redbar is also fun in a zen-kinda-way (mileage may vary). But positional prots sound awesome.

Which is why I want to read an article on how that's all implemented in GW2.

BrettM
30-01-2011, 23:24
Situational awareness is obviously going to be top priority. Part of this awareness is positional awareness -- where are you in relation to the allies you want to guard. That's easy.

The other part is ally-status awareness -- who is losing health rapidly, getting spiked, has a condition, etc. That looks like it could be hard, since we don't know of any mechanism in the UI for obtaining this information.

For example, if your allies are all at 90% hp, have no conditions, and their self heal is ready to go, that might not be an ideal time to pop your Resolve virtue. If half your allies are blind, but all of the blinded are casters, that might not be an ideal time to pop Resolve. If a bunch of ettins are dishing out love taps while building adrenaline, it might not be the ideal time to pop Courage and have it on cool down when they start using their hard-hitting skills.

How can a guardian use his skills strategically without this status information?

RabidCoqui
31-01-2011, 00:09
I've been going through some of the articles in the Link Roundup (http://www.arena.net/blog/link-roundup-the-guardian) and I came across something... sorry if it's been mentioned already, but RoJ is in! (http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars2/news.html?sid=6286994&mode=previews&page=1) (last answer at the bottom of first page).

Nemeon Lion
31-01-2011, 00:15
Yes, but that's just the name, not the actual skill effect.

Auntie I
31-01-2011, 01:06
Ok, people, enough with the pitchfork foolishness. Any more and I'm going to have to start pitching some of you out of here!

I'm looking at you shawn, giggles, nemeon, Ringsgold, Nohjo...enough is enough.

Any monkey with 2 brain cells can play PWI.

And I could take this cue to insult you, but I won't. I leave that to others.

1 - You never played this class.Yes I have and got more than 1 Cleric.I wouldn't say that about playing PWI takes more than what you know nothing.

2 - Your Cleric revolves around applying buffs and playing the redbar mini-game. That's not fun, that's boring.It is more involved in that and takes skill more so than this guardian does.

3 - This class revolves around proactive defense. Go search the internet if you don't know what it means. Proactive defense is actually fun compared to the redbar mini-game. Not as easy as it, but way more fun, and I know that because I played both a healing and a prot monk in GW1.It is not more fun that playing Monk in GW as it boring and probably won't need to be used as much.GW Monk are proactive in providing protection to others more so than this class.I don't suspect you play Monk that much.

Just because it isn't a class that stays only behind everyone you think it sucks? Even though you could play it as one?

I pity you...

Whatever I just hope this game as the same affect as Tabula Rosa and Dungeon Runners did.Stop making references to PWI since you don't play it as it is No1 on MMOSite.I am giving my opinions on this class and it does sound boring as Warrior,Ranger even Necro sound more fun to play.GW is the last NCSoft and Arenanet product I will buy.They haven't given consideration for those whose main class they omitted out.Those are paying customers who have paid their salaries.

Ignores Leonora Windleaf for being a ?????.

Alaris
31-01-2011, 03:39
Yes I have and got more than 1 Cleric.

What we meant is that you can't possibly say Guardian is boring etc as you never played it. Nobody did, except those who work at ANet.

You're assuming it's boring because it's not a cleric, which is a terrible reason really to have any sort of opinion. You're calling it boring just because it's different from what you know and worship.

Play it with an open mind, and only then judge it.

shawn
31-01-2011, 07:15
Ok, people, enough with the pitchfork foolishness. Any more and I'm going to have to start pitching some of you out of here!

I'm looking at you shawn, giggles, nemeon, Ringsgold, Nohjo...enough is enough.
No more pitchfork talk?? That makes me want to get my pitc- oh wait.. Damn.

Okay. :(

..does this mean giggles and I can still talk about the e-lationship? You're Canadian, you can come to the celebration. There will be Matthew Good, maple syrup, The Tragically Hip, Tim Horton's coffee, and Kim Mitchell. Oh, and snow.

Nemeon Lion
31-01-2011, 13:03
It is not more fun that playing Monk in GW as it boring and probably won't need to be used as much.

And he shows his true colors!

This is why Age loves PWI, since Clerics are mandatory for group content and he likes to feel he's needed.

Typical healer mentality. I'm glad Anet didn't follow such mentality and I hope they continue to.

Alaris
31-01-2011, 13:18
Healers and tanks mentality. In most MMOs, healers tend to be worse because they're boring to play and slow to level, so most people avoid them but since they're manditory... In contrast, nukers are dime a dozen.

Healers are pretty manditory in GW1, even in RA where you'd think self-heals would be more common. I'd be happy if you could be a pure heal/prot, but I am very happy that they're not manditory.

Still unsure about the new implementation... sounds like it's a step up, but I'd have to know more about it to be sure.

PS: just checked MMOsite and PWI wasn't on the top 10 list. Or did I check the wrong place?

shawn
31-01-2011, 13:37
PS: just checked MMOsite and PWI wasn't on the top 10 list. Or did I check the wrong place?
Keep digging.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/rankHype/sOrder/desc

Look around the 7.26 mark. It's about a hundred or so games down.

Alaris
31-01-2011, 13:49
Actually, I checked mmosite.com which is what I thought he referred to, and it was about 30th down. A far cry from 1st.

Guild Wars 2 is top of the most anticipated.

Skyy High
31-01-2011, 16:07
So...yeah, how about some actual discussion? Going back to the water ele's capability for support, the last two water skills were put on wiki:
Armor of Frost (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor_of_Frost)
Healing Wave (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Healing_Wave)

Both are scepter skills. That means that staff eles have an instant-recharge skill that heals a small (~5%, according to the demo) amount of health for characters near enemies, a 20s recharge skill that heals a bit more for characters near enemies (if you use a trait), and a 25s recharge skill that heals in a chosen area. Dagger eles have no real heals, though it's possible that traits might change that. Scepter + focus eles have a 15s recharge heal for nearby allies and a 20s recharge skill that creates a geyser that heals nearby allies for 10s.

Personally, I'd rather the ele focus on chilling, snaring, blinding, or stunning enemies, and leave the heals to my self-heal. The guardian's prot looks like it'll be much more desirable, because a Wall of Deflection helps my character in a way that I can't do myself. Of course, the most popular PUG monk build in GW1 was UA/HB + Heal Party, so...

Alaris
31-01-2011, 16:45
Staff:
Heal tank, freeze, KD+heal tank(trait), damage, heal target area

Scepter+focus:
damage, heal nearby, freeze nearby, freeze nearby, heal nearby

Interesting. So you can support frontline, or backline, but not really both (or either as you choose).

Note also the link between frost (slowing down enemies) and heal, slowing foes buys you time to heal more.

Nemeon Lion
31-01-2011, 17:18
Actually, while the guardian may sound a lot better in the support department then a water ele, you gotta remember that frozen enemies (or chilled, as it is called now) can not dodge. This means that in PvP water eles will be in high demand thanks to the ability to "lock down" an enemy for the rest of the party to finish him off.

Also, the slowed movement always helps with positioning, so even in PvE it's a bonus.

Alaris
31-01-2011, 17:26
Water eles heal, slow (e.g. snare for nukes and running away, slower attack rate?)...

Earth eles have KD and blind (I think) which does about the same... snare + slowdown + fewer hits.

Guardians are more prots. Snares & bubbles.

The way I see it is that they'll all be good allies to have for general survivability... but they'll play differently. Combine them and you can have a pretty good defensive team.

Skyy High
31-01-2011, 18:01
Excellent interview (http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/4940/Jon-Peters-Talks-Guardians.html/page/1), and now suddenly I'm really excited about rolling a guardian.

Alaris
31-01-2011, 18:42
The interview is great, it's got some info not found elsewhere...

About rolling a guardian... still my #1 melee choice if (when) I decide to melee. Waiting for a profession to really wow me and to fit my style (don't care about melee generally), but guardian wow'ed me at least.

Necro is still #1 ever since it was said he could summon and support. Gotta look up how necros support.

Gorani
31-01-2011, 19:07
Excellent interview (http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/4940/Jon-Peters-Talks-Guardians.html/page/1), and now suddenly I'm really excited about rolling a guardian.

Guardians have a lot of "old Monk" skills. "Healing breeze" now actually is a cone shaped area of effect. Pretty nice.

Best interview about the Guardian's abilities so far, IMO.

raspberry jam
31-01-2011, 19:49
That interview makes the guardian sound really interesting. But I'm worried about how wards and things like the Binding Blade skill will work in PvP.

Thalanor Thornhale
31-01-2011, 21:08
I would be happy to volunteer myself for an alpha/beta to answer that question for you :laugh:

Ringsgold
31-01-2011, 21:20
That interview makes the guardian sound really interesting. But I'm worried about how wards and things like the Binding Blade skill will work in PvP.
I think the GW2 system will be so different from what we have in GW1 that skills which make you go "lololinsanelyOP" will end up being balanced once you're actually playing the game.

Alaris
31-01-2011, 21:59
People will find ways to abuse new skills and dynamics, requiring lots of balance changes. That's how it always happens.

At least ANet does the balance changes ;)

And he shows his true colors!

This is why Age loves PWI, since Clerics are mandatory for group content and he likes to feel he's needed.

Typical healer mentality. I'm glad Anet didn't follow such mentality and I hope they continue to.

It is why they will lose money over this as a lot of older players.Cleric aren't really nessary but a Barb won't go into an instanced with out one.I will say this atleast they got cooperative play as this won't.You just don't like it because you don't have heros and henchies.You won't have instances in GW2 just events.

I just want to point out something you were the one who mentioned PWI not me so this whole debate is your doing.I can't even mention other games on PWI forums which I was selected to be a Mod on but being an Admin on another fansite takes my time away.The CMs respect me and appreciate me on those boards.

@Alaris I ma saying it boring just from the video alone gives me a good picture of what it is about a Paladin and uses a hammer.Monks are a lot more fun than this.I won't be playing GW2 any as PWI and GW are my last of MMOs that I will be playing.

Here is the MMOSite votes

There votes are different on this site as PWI has the most votes even WoW beats GW.

http://contest.mmosite.com/gameprize/webapps/index.php#Perfect-World

http://contest.mmosite.com/gameprize/webapps/index.php#Guild-Wars

http://contest.mmosite.com/gameprize/webapps/index.php#World-of-Warcraft

Giggles
31-01-2011, 23:37
People will find ways to abuse new skills and dynamics

can I abuse you?

good interview though

raspberry jam
31-01-2011, 23:40
I would be happy to volunteer myself for an alpha/beta to answer that question for you :laugh:So would I! :tongue:

can I abuse you?I would be happy to volunteer myself for... um wait.

Auntie I
31-01-2011, 23:49
New article on Massively...
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/31/behind-the-scenes-with-the-guild-wars-2-guardian-massivelys-in/

Thalanor Thornhale
01-02-2011, 00:19
New article on Massively...
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/31/behind-the-scenes-with-the-guild-wars-2-guardian-massivelys-in/

Man you are fast. I was just going to post that link here as well!

Alaris
01-02-2011, 00:37
I will say this atleast they got cooperative play as this won't.

I'll go ahead and ignore you, and not out of fanboyism. Cooperation in GW2 is likely to be miles ahead of the competition... they're making cooperative play work outside of an interface, by putting the buffs right there on the battlefield. Once players understand that, they'll have a hard time going back to redbarring.

Guardian sounds a lot more fun than typical healers in other games. I'll know for sure when I try it though... but if anything GW1 improved on healer gameplay with prots. Positional prots require more battlefield awareness, which usually means that it's more fun to play except for those who want nothing more exciting than a rotation.

I won't say bad things about PWI because honestly, I never tried it and probably never will. It's not an obscure poll on an obscure website that's about to change my mind about it either.

But I seriously doubt that poll is representative.

Zayren
01-02-2011, 00:39
snip

I can't comment on anything related to PWI since I've never played it, but it does look like a lot more fun to be watching red bars than playing a Guardian, in my opinion. The guardian looks like you run up to your allies and throw down a bubble, wait a bit, maybe put a rune/glyph/whatever down. Just doesn't seem that fun. Whereas if you're an actual healer, you need to have a battle awareness and know when the big damage is coming and who to prioritize for heals, rather than just throwing down a bubble and protecting everyone from damage for however long. And the videos didn't help. Everything the guardian did looked so slow paced and just plain uninteresting.

I'm also going to say this before someone comments: OBVIOUSLY I COULD BE HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY WRONG, BUT CURRENTLY THE GUARDIAN DOES NOT LOOK FUN TO ME.

OH WELL, hopefully one of the later professions is more interesting. Come oooooon far left!

shawn
01-02-2011, 00:51
^TBH I agree. I can't believe I'm looking forward to the mesmer reveal. I feel dirty.

GrimShade
01-02-2011, 01:12
By the same thought I could say a monk just stands back and casts a heal, waits for recharge and casts another spell. That’s a vast oversimplification as you should know if you play any caster decently.

The guardian looks interesting to me. I enjoy Melee classes far more than casters, I also enjoy being the door enemies need to walk through to get to my team. One of the oldest comments my guildies would have when was they loved when I am on Warrior as they never need to worry about kyting or avoiding attacks, because I just body blocked everything.

I am sure there will be a lot more to discover about how each class can be played but I am unsure if my Main which has always been a warrior will be a Guardian or traditional Warrior. I may be able to run up body block everything and keep all benefits to myself as my party doesn’t need it. I could just as likely be needed to run back and forth between my party member unloading my benefits on them or slowing all the attackers down. Let the casters be healed and guarded by Water Elly’s, my benefits are going to the front liners.

Thalanor Thornhale
01-02-2011, 02:18
I'd also like to add something not much known about and discussed: interactions BETWEEN the professions and races!

Although we don't know much about how for example a guardian and a ranger can interact with each other, I for one would not mind NOT hearing about these interactions because it will leave THAT MUCH MORE for self-discovery once the game is released.

I feel sorry for Anet because on the one hand, I want to know more, yet on the other hand, I don't want to know everything so that there is still some mystery left once I log into the world for the first time.

How do you all feel about it?

Alaris
01-02-2011, 02:48
There will be plenty to discover once the game comes out...

But they did say some interactions. Wall of fire + arrow spread (or whatever it was called) anyone?

Instead of buffing someone, you buff a location... and whatever passes through it gets the buff. It'll be awesome.

Lillith
02-02-2011, 05:58
I sure hope it isn't exactly like the Chanter in Aion...it was also a "hybrid" profession, somewhere between a Prot/Healer and Tank. It was and still is the worse class to play in the game IMHO. Damage was mediocre, heals were not quite up to par, altho their buffs were insane in a group setting.
Chanters are strictly "support" class and I have to say they were always wanted in groups for their "buffs" but crapola for any kind of solo PvP. It's nice to be useful in a group, but solo'ing wasn't exactly what the class was made for so you were SOL if you didn't have a group for anything you needed to get done.
I'm a little nervous about the Guardian profession and it's definately not something I would consider at this time. But then again I may be pleasantly surprised! :grin:

Alaris
02-02-2011, 14:16
@Lillith

ANet seems aware that support usually ends up being lame soloers, so they've taken steps to rectify this.

The guardian has weapon spells that will help a lot increase dps in solo play. The virtues are also there to improve solo-ability compared to team play because in solo you would enjoy the passive effects (+defense, +health regen, +damage) but in team play you'd pass the effects to your team mates.

Traits will also likely allow you to spec for damage or for support.

BrettM
02-02-2011, 19:58
The virtues are also there to improve solo-ability compared to team play because in solo you would enjoy the passive effects (+defense, +health regen, +damage) but in team play you'd pass the effects to your team mates.
Didn't one of the interviews (Izzy's, IIRC) mention that active virtues were also useful in solo play? For example, activating Courage just after a passive block would give you an active block, so you would block two attacks in a row. It also mentioned using active Justice to buff the spirit hammer to cause burning, so apparently spirit weapons count as "allies". (Unlike GW1 spirits, which generally don't count or receive buffs.)

Alaris
02-02-2011, 20:08
I'd love the link to this, as I don't remember reading this at all.

BrettM
02-02-2011, 22:18
I'd love the link to this, as I don't remember reading this at all.

Found it. Ten Ton Hammer interview at http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/features/interviews/guardian-interview

TTH: How viable would you say the Guardian will be when playing solo? The unique profession skills will clearly give them high survivability, but they also seem like they'll shine even more so in group situations.

Izzy: Guardians are just as good solo as they are in a group. Their virtues, which can be used on a group, can also be used to double-up on an effect, allowing you to get two blocks in a row. Effects like back-to-back triggers of burning or a longer powerful regeneration can be really effective while playing solo. The world of Guild Wars 2 is a living, breathing world where you often find yourself fighting alongside not just players but NPCs as well. The guardian’s virtues are excellent at supporting anyone in a fight so even when soloing they are incredibly useful. A guardian can also slot weapon skills, and use Virtue of Justice to boost the damage of the summoned weapons. All these things combined make the guardian just as formidable solo as in a group.

Lillith
02-02-2011, 23:15
Found it. Ten Ton Hammer interview at http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/features/interviews/guardian-interview
Yes I figured with GW 2 and the event system implemented that no one would really ever be "solo" anywhere! LOL
Though it still seems to me that this profession is going to be strictly support and from my experience with the Chanter in Aion, can be quite boring at times. However, success in Aion is severely based on gear.
On the other hand, it would give you a chance to see the big picture during these events. Same as a monk I suppose.

djacob
03-02-2011, 03:38

Mmmh, thanks for the link, I missed that one.

Alaris
03-02-2011, 14:43

Thanks! Missed it. I didn't know you could apply the Virtue to yourself (though it looked like it in the vids). Sweet.

Also... traits on virtues? Pure gold.

Yes I figured with GW 2 and the event system implemented that no one would really ever be "solo" anywhere! LOL

Instanced storyline? Also, even in persistent areas it's possible to solo.

Though it still seems to me that this profession is going to be strictly support

I really *really* don't understand why you say that. Weapon spells. Melee attacks. A few melee weapons to choose from. Damage buffs even. If anything I'd worry that it would be better at soloing than more pure professions (e.g. WoW paladins and druids were better at soloing than warriors or rogues afaik, at least back when I played it).

Celestial Kitsune
08-02-2011, 01:46
The other part is ally-status awareness -- who is losing health rapidly, getting spiked, has a condition, etc. That looks like it could be hard, since we don't know of any mechanism in the UI for obtaining this information.

For example, if your allies are all at 90% hp, have no conditions, and their self heal is ready to go, that might not be an ideal time to pop your Resolve virtue. If half your allies are blind, but all of the blinded are casters, that might not be an ideal time to pop Resolve. If a bunch of ettins are dishing out love taps while building adrenaline, it might not be the ideal time to pop Courage and have it on cool down when they start using their hard-hitting skills.

How can a guardian use his skills strategically without this status information?

That's a good question. I hope more details will be revealed soon.