PDA

View Full Version : What is YOUR GW play-style?

DragonSkull
26-01-2011, 22:33
As I read the forums and watch guild chat/alliance chat I see a lot of chat regarding skills and it gets me wondering about my play-style and if I'm in the minority.

You see, I've been playing this game for nearly 5 years now and I still know very, very little about skills, builds, counters, etc. They just have never been all that important to me for what I expect from or how I play the game.

In a game like this I enjoy following the storyline, collecting precious little trinkets along the way, and striving for titles. I like to think I've been pretty successful even without a working knowledge of all the different skills and builds.

So now that I've outed myself as a closet Newb (not to be confused with a loud obnoxious Noob!) I'm curious about others take on the subject.

Dawg

Alaris
26-01-2011, 23:24
I've been a closet newb for a long time, trying skills but having close to no clue what worked or not (because normal mode is not hard). Some places challenged me a bit to come up with builds, but most of the time I was running whatever I thought was fun.

I've played every profession by now (well, except assassin which never got off the newbie island) and each time I try to play it to capture its flavor, and then to see what else it can do. For example, I tried all warrior weapons on warrior, and then even non-warrior weapons. Ranger tried traps, BHA, splinter-barrage (or volley with BHA as elite), spirit summon, even toucher (but only for lolz).

The goal was to learn something about the profession. Eventually, I started delving into making my own builds, or modifying PvX builds.

You learn to play by playing, by trying new things, and by learning from your mistakes. My learning curve was slow and leasurely, but I tried my best not to stagnate. Title-hunting allowed me to push the boundaries a bit too in hard mode. Now RA is pushing my boundaries even further.

Lady Rhonwyn
27-01-2011, 06:43
I just take skills I like, and often find that I could have better taken that other skill somewhere halfway whatever I'm doing :tongue:

On my ranger, I only use one build. I created it myself when I was somewhere around the Northern Shiverpeaks for the first time, changed it a bit when Nighfall came out, changed ita bit again when EotN came out, and again when the wish of every beastmaster was fullfilled. But in essence, it's still the same build as I started out with.

My warrior is even worse, I don't think she ever changed her build, except when she did those profession quests in the Desert!

I play exactly like you, DragonSkull. Enjoying the landscape, getting some nice drops (not enough!), finishing some titles and overal just having fun and the devil take efficiency!

Hmm, now I think of it, my warrior has two builds... One is her original one, but that one causes bleeding. So, I deviced a new one at some point, which works better against non-fleshy foes.

Lensor
27-01-2011, 08:31
I am a rampant build-thief, especially for heroes. I am just too lazy (also I dont know the professions I dont play myself well enough) to fine-tune heroes when classic sabway works almost as good. For my characters I have a few builds I usually dont play around with too much, but a tweak here and there still happens.

When playing with people, depending on the task, I can be way more build-centered though. Thinking about which skills I can bring for the benefit of the party etc.

And for farming I can become very nerdy about skills, trying to really have the optimal setup. Since then it is all about being efficient.

I know very few skills by heart, every time I tweak I look at the actual skill descriptions. I know there are special variables not on the descriptions (aftercast, timing for q-locking etc), but I dont know them well enough to "use them in a sentece".. Just well enough to "get" why some PvX builds are better than they look like on paper. I also often "forget" looking up primary-attribute breakpoints for optimal attribute spread.

Basically, I am a min-maxer at heart, but too lazy to pull it off properly :P

Alaris
27-01-2011, 13:43
I believe it's not just the skills you bring, but how you use them.

I've been doing tabbing on many characters now, looking for better targets for my skills or skills to interrupt (if I have interrupt skills). If a foe gets protted, I sometimes get my team to attack another target. Or I cast PI on an ele while my team focuses on another.

Whenever someone complains that their target dies before they get a shot in, I wonder... if that's a common occurrence, why were you not attacking another target then?

I don't bother with breakpoints, optimal equipment (most heroes are un-runed, most items I/they use are /bonus), or optimizing the build. I just bring whatever skills that I think will get the job done, and I can choose skills with team complementarity in mind.

Lady Rhonwyn
27-01-2011, 14:59
I believe it's not just the skills you bring, but how you use them.

I've been doing tabbing on many characters now, looking for better targets for my skills or skills to interrupt (if I have interrupt skills). If a foe gets protted, I sometimes get my team to attack another target. Or I cast PI on an ele while my team focuses on another.

Whenever someone complains that their target dies before they get a shot in, I wonder... if that's a common occurrence, why were you not attacking another target then?

Couldn't agree more with that! Sometimes, especially when I'm feeling lazy or distracted, I'm finding a dead party simply because I wasn't paying attention (I know I should have sicced my interrupter on that ele boss!). On my ranger, I often set my pet on one target (and don't underestimate the amount of damage my cat can do!) while I and the rest of the team will annoy another one. Usually one of those is the monk (let him heal himself and the rest of his friends!)

Alaris
27-01-2011, 15:31
Focus fire is effective, but it's over-rated.

Sometimes it's better to spread the joy around a bit. Especially with:

-Healers: it's easier to heal 1 than many allies so make sure you switch target / damage many
-Mobs: it's best to AoE on mobs rather than single targets even sometimes if it means ignoring target calls
-PI: usually best to use on target that is not focus-fired on, because that'd be wasteful otherwise
-Daze: focus-fire on dazed is awesome, no need to interrupt that target also!

SwitchDK
31-01-2011, 00:55
My playing style is all about having fun. I have absolutely no clue what is best where so whatever tickles my fancy that day (and that goes for any profession). Thank you Dawg for coming out of the Newb closet I, now there is more room for me ;-).