PDA

View Full Version : BaR GvG Experiment

Arcanum
23-06-2011, 14:15
For a while now (since I think 2008, which was the time I played my last match for my previous guild) I have been wanting to play the still popular Guild vs Guild form of PvP.

Now I know that Blade and Rose profiles itself as a mostly PvE guild, but that doesn't stop me from launching the initiative to see if we could start doing organized PvP on the side.

After asking around within the guild several people have shown direct interest in joining in on this adventure and via this post I'm hoping more will hop on.

Realize that if you want to join in on this, you will also have to commit to it, since we will. Which means playing PvP with proposed builds in RA and possibly FA. We'll also try to do some 4v4 scrimmages for training purposes.
Also observe GvG matches to see common tactics for flagrunning, splitting, etc.
We could also drag 8 people into HA to practice stuff there.

Preferbly use reserve 1-2 slots for PvP chars for quick switching. You can use a PvE char, but only if it has absolutely perfect equipment (+30, no +29 hp for example). We will design (or copy) builds and list of equipment. Seeing as how PvP characters will always have max equips, PvE chars should as well.

You will also need to have a mic (no mic, no GvG), I think DM had a Vent server, but I might also be able to sneak onto my old guild's TS and use that if I ask kindly:-)

No worries, we don't expect to be top 100 from the start, but we want to take this (semi-)seriously.

We will need players for pretty much all roles, so that we have a supply of things we can run. If you're interested, post your name and roles you can play.

Our basic build will probably be the following (might be changed if needed):
Devastating Hammer Warrior
Wastrel's Collapse Assassin (for split)
Mirror of Ice Water Ele (snares)
Invoke Lightning / Blinding Surge Air Ele (blinds, damage, split)
Shared Burden Illusion Mesmer (snares and illusion goodness)
Restore Condition Protection Monk
Word of Healing Heal/Infuse Monk
Ritualist Runner (some spirits, weapon spells and speed buff)

With the Assassin and Air Ele being able to split and kill base NPC's and the rest as the "flagstand team".

So, roll-call: Who's interested and what can you run?

Elex Aio
23-06-2011, 15:44
I'd be interested. I don't play too actively anymore, but now with summer I might have more free time (I'll be away next week but will be back the week after) It depends on the hours.

I have some good PvP experience. I would love to play the Devastating Hammer warrior but *can* play anything but the healer, and would rather not play flag runner.

My "second choices" if I am not to play the Warrior would be either the Assassin or the Mesmer.

Vana
23-06-2011, 17:11
I'll be gone on vacation all July, but I may come join you in August if you get this up and running. A few points to help:

- Have people specialize in builds. It's a pretty obvious point, but a lot of people (particularly new to PvP) are reluctant to do this at first. Make them. Anything else will likely end in disaster. (I'm not saying that you should force roles on people, just ensure that they've thought it through when they pick one, and have them stick with it)

- Obs GvGs, as you yourself suggested, and learn to recognize specific tactics. But more importantly, learn to relate them to situations and (not least of all) the level you're playing on. My point being, some things that you see in top matches you either won't be able to do (because you're coordination isn't good enough) or they simply won't have an effect because your opponents aren't aware what you're up to.
Focus on the basics and learn them well.

- Also, don't let overall tactics take up all your attention when obs'ing. Make sure you don't neglect to watch your own role.

- In relation to the above; read! Read all you can find about strategies and plays (teamquitter is a particularly good source of information - you just need to go through a lot of random stuff to find it ;))

- Once you have an established team, try to find some top players to help you pinpoint what you need to work on (have them play with you for a match). It will probably be difficult to find people that will actually bother, though, but it's one of the best imaginable ways to improve your play.
One way of going about this (and my first suggestion) would be to try to get in contact with some of players from Team Love [kiSu]. They used to mentor new players (I don't know if they still do) so it's a good place to start.

- I would advice against using HA for serious practice.

I've been out for too long to be able to comment on your proposed build. I don't know anything about the meta right now.

I think it's a great idea to try this again, though!

Blazing Liger
23-06-2011, 19:19
I'm game. I could probably play anything other than the monks/rit, though I will most likely need to unlock some skills (which shouldn't be much of a problem). I haven't had very much GvG experience, but I'm glad for the opportunity again. I'd also be up for any other form of PvP if someone wants to organize it.

Simply Kedde
23-06-2011, 22:17
Sorry for invading your section, but I just want to wish you good luck with this and let you know that I'm always open for helping people who are serious about the part about learning.

Raye
23-06-2011, 22:22
Feel free to shout at me if you need an ele, I usually play ele when we gvg in Dii. =)

Sent from my G2. lulz what typos?

Arcanum
24-06-2011, 00:02
Feel free to shout at me if you need an ele, I usually play ele when we gvg in Dii. =)

I didn't know Dii was into GvG:shocked:, guess it goes both ways then, if you need anyone feel free to shout:p. Since I'm almost PvP'ing daily I can pretty much take all roles. But I'm not a great interrupter and I'm a rusty PvP-monk, but working on both.

Raye
24-06-2011, 01:10
I didn't know Dii was into GvG:shocked:, guess it goes both ways then, if you need anyone feel free to shout:p. Since I'm almost PvP'ing daily I can pretty much take all roles. But I'm not a great interrupter and I'm a rusty PvP-monk, but working on both.

I am not sure they've been gvging lately. I know we wanted to get something going after the ladder reset. But you know from the XM thread I've been so busy I haven't played in around a month...

Ill definitely bug you if I see you online when we gvg =)

Vana
24-06-2011, 14:10
Sorry for invading your section, but I just want to wish you good luck with this and let you know that I'm always open for helping people who are serious about the part about learning.

http://findmeaviking.com/Pages/viking%20army/images/Uncle%20sam%20Viking.jpg

Simply Kedde
24-06-2011, 14:26
American vikings? Seems rather unlikely to me D:

Vana
24-06-2011, 14:56
I will be enough viking for them all.
With another Dane around, the vikingness would be pretty intense.

Moony The God
24-06-2011, 20:37
As I said in game, I'm willing and (probably not) able :D

Chan Kwok Kuen
25-06-2011, 22:10
I will play and I will attempt any build that isn't monk. I have no objections to spending money/faction on the necessary skills to compete.

SwitchDK
30-06-2011, 08:22
Count me in too. I will create whatever character is necessary and I like to do research so just set me a task. And thanks to Simply Kedde for offering your help. I think we should be able to muster at least 3 vikings :D