PDA

View Full Version : Your Necromancer, Which Race?

Смерть
18-09-2011, 18:06
We have all the races revealed to us! If you either know exactly which race your Necromancer is going to be, or have an inkling to what it might be, share your thoughts. What are you planning on playing? The poll allows multiple choices. Also, why are you picking the races you are for your Necromancer?

I myself have posted many times wanting to roll both a Human and Sylvari Necromancer, then keeping those two as my only playable characters. I have also stated I dislike the Charr and Asuran, but... after seeing some of their videos I might actually break down and create a Necromancer for each race to see what it is like (Human and Sylvari still being my mains). I think it will be interesting to see the different takes each race has towards necromancy, especially the Sylvari being the youngest one. For right now though, Sylvari and Human are my choices.

Gorani
18-09-2011, 18:21
I just want to point out, that we already have a "poll" where Alaris took up the task of keeping the numbers up to date here:

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497410

These are the numbers as of 8th of September:

Asura --- 15.4% W --- 11.8% G --- 4.0% R --- 13.9% Th -- 24.0% En -- 23.4% N -- 6.3% E -- 13.3% Me
Charr -- 36.5% W --- 10.3% G --- 20.0% R --- 16.3% Th -- 22.8% En -- 7.2% N -- 18.8% E -- 3.3% Me
Human - 15.4% W --- 52.9% G --- 24.0% R --- 31.2% Th -- 17.0% En -- 38.9% N -- 34.6% E -- 55.6% Me
Norn -- 32.7% W --- 11.8% G --- 32.0% R --- 13.4% Th -- 11.7% En -- 8.4% N -- 12.6% E -- 12.2% Me
Sylvari -- 0.0% W --- 13.2% G --- 20.0% R --- 25.2% Th -- 24.6% En -- 22.2% N -- 27.7% E -- 15.6% Me

You might want to tune the poll to reflect the status quo before adding new entries CM

Gorani

djacob
18-09-2011, 21:26
I know what you mean Gorani, but I think CMEPTb is interested specifically in the necro and the way this thread is set up allows for people to vote instead of state what they want to be which imo is preferable.

Also, now that all the races have had their week to shine we can make a more informed opinion and some of the people who wrote in that thread might've changed their minds since then (I didn't, but just saying). Frankly, if I'd been interested in an asuran necro before their week, I wouldn't anymore.

I do want to point out though, that character slots are limited so in order for the poll "All of them" to be checked, people might not be able to play anything BUT necro, without buying more slots that is. Since we can already check as many as we want, that one might be redundant, but I could be wrong. If someone wants to buy a bunch of character slots so they can have tons of alts they might check that and it would go to show just how much some people like the necro.

Смерть
18-09-2011, 22:02
[...] interested specifically in the necro and the way this thread is set up allows for people to vote instead of state what they want to be which imo is preferable.

Yes, all the races have had their chance to shine, and this thread/poll is to get some discussion going amongst Necromancers about their race choices and why (added to the OP).

I myself again, think it will be interesting seeing how the Necromancer will be portrayed through each race and from other information we know so far, there are opportunities for Necromancers to discuss the "whys" between their choices. The poll has been put up hopefully as a fun gateway into conversation.

I chose Human and Sylvari for the poll myself (for now). I have chosen humans not only because it will be continuing a character blood line from GW1, but I am interested to see if the Human take on Necromancy in GW1 reflects the changes of overall Necromancer function in GW2 (if the lore fits the game play mechanics as well). And the Sylvari being such a new race, to be associated with death intrigues me; will their Necromancer storyline follow naivety and clumsiness in stumbling through Necromancy or are they not as naive towards malice/spite/etc. as one may get the impression of looking at Sylvari who have succumbed to the nightmare. Maybe the Sylvari have inherited a little more than what we currently acknowledge from information so far released. There is a lot of cool stuff for Necromancers to mull over regarding race.

Gorani
19-09-2011, 13:38
And the Sylvari being such a new race, to be associated with death intrigues me; will their Necromancer storyline follow naivety and clumsiness in stumbling through Necromancy or are they not as naive towards malice/spite/etc. as one may get the impression of looking at Sylvari who have succumbed to the nightmare. Maybe the Sylvari have inherited a little more than what we currently acknowledge from information so far released.

The Necromancer profession for a Sylvari could be two things as far as I am concerned.
1. This is "future science"! Since death is relatively new to the Sylvari (not so many have died) and death of old age is nothing they have experienced yet, the Necromancers could be the most spiritual of them all (perhaps even more than Human Guardians who still try to connect with the six gods or a Norn who has a strong bond to his spiritual animal)
2. With many things connected to "cycles" within the Sylvari society, Necromancy could easily be accepted as something normal. Sylvari know that their conscience is connected by the Dream of Dreams. They perhaps do not feel the "loss" of a live as much as a human, which means that dealing with souls and "husks" of the once living is not considered an evil act. A Human or Norn will have a much stronger connection to a dead person or his corpse than a Sylvari.

PS: Although it is unlikely that I will play a Necro from the beginning (if ever, due to time constraints and the fact that the trinity is broken), I think Sylvari & Norn hold the biggest potential for developing a unique perspective of the class. Asura (as you might know, my least favorite so far) might be pushed into the mischievous corner to easily. Humans are versatile as always in a RPG/MMO. For the Charr, the Necro might be better suited than the Mesmers (if it comes) or the Ele, IMO.

Alaris
19-09-2011, 15:07
Nothing wrong with new polls!

Charr necro is most likely, if not, then norn.

The idea is to have casters played by "physical brutes", making them "intellectual brutes". My charr will likely let the minions do the work, sitting back as a general, but will move in once in a while to provide additional claw power. The idea of making minions from corpses (although you can't do that anymore) appeals to his gloating sense.

Xilisys
21-09-2011, 15:20
I really am not sure what race I'll pick for my necro. As my 3rd or 4th profession choice, I want to play all of the races at some point. So I'll probably pick Asura even though I don't like them (as of now). Possibly Sylvari (night cycle).

Radieth Darkstar
04-03-2012, 13:43
i'm looking at probably norn or charr for my necro. i want one of each race and i've decided on my asuran and sylvari, but i'm not sure on my other race/prof combinations. I'm hoping to get a chance to try some profs out in a beta before i make my final decisions.

Irakaz
07-04-2012, 22:25
Human suits me best as he will follow Grenth

Смерть
08-04-2012, 08:20
Human suits me best as he will follow Grenth

I agree, one of the reasons I am making a human as well.

Penniegrim
13-07-2012, 01:41
Hu(wo)man! I have this human pen-and-paper RPG NPC that has got a really nice name. In the RPG she was a witch and the Necro seems the most witchy to me. So, Human Necro it is! :)

I must be the most un-Lore-ish guy there is. I read all this nice stuff from you people and I must say that I'm almost a bit ashamed that my choice for races/classes is something such trivial as the name of a Swedish version of DnD game character.
Please forgive me, I will try to be more Lore-ish.

shadowhand
13-07-2012, 21:21
It's fine :) - I will stick with a human female because that's what I had in Guild Wars. I will even recycle the name :) - Because I have no imagination.

Or maybe I have too much of it.

Li Yu
19-07-2012, 12:50
I've always planned my GW2 Necromancer as a Sylvari or Asura, hopefully in BWE3 I'll decide :)

Hersir
19-07-2012, 15:53
Norn Necrimancer. Ties in nicely with the house of the Raven. The Gw2 Necromancer feels very like a warrior Shaman or Skald.

Alaris
19-07-2012, 16:11
Still sticking with charr necro. No doubt about it.

nkuvu
19-07-2012, 17:11
Human, no question. One of two characters of mine in GW2 that will be direct descendants of characters in GW1, so nothing else makes sense.

Смерть
19-07-2012, 21:42
Me too, mine will be Human mainly for that reason. RP-wise I would love to make a Necromancer Sylvari, for the sole purpose of being tied to the Nightmare Court (pitty the game doesn't allow it); but I am on the fence, because I probably will just be playing my human main.

D E A T H L I F E
25-07-2012, 02:10
I've found that necromancer is the only profession, to me at least, that looks aesthetically great on all races.

You can make gut wrenching charr, Asura and Sylvari necros and human & norm ones can be made extra creepy.

Really hard decision to make, especially since racial skills wont matter to them cause they can have mobile minion summons, max 8, on them.

Personally liking human at the moment.

Tapatalking