PDA

View Full Version : What skill type has you most excited about guardians?

Alaris
03-02-2012, 18:40
Time to vote!

One answer per client pls...

RD
03-02-2012, 19:16
Wards and bubbles for sure! Support is my kind of style.

Still haven't decided if I'm going War or Guard yet...

Alaris
03-02-2012, 19:23
I've got an article for you then!

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/comments/head-to-head-warrior-vs-guardian

I too love support and am looking forward to bubbles and wards, but I do find the concept of spirit weapons fascinating. I think they will also be my main utility skill type when going solo or even playing ranged.

RD
03-02-2012, 19:29
I read your article when you posted it! :P

My problem is that Warriors have shouts (which is a real fun way to buff) and banners. Both professions seem like they're going to have group support. Seems like Warrior will be more combat-durable, less supporting. Guardians seem to be the opposite. I'm not really going to know what I want to play until I get my hands on them and feel out the mechanics.

Hopefully Mesmer is as appealing as in GW 1 to me, so this debate is more about an alt :)

Alaris
03-02-2012, 19:35
Hahah yeah, GW2 mesmers are more appealing to me than GW1 mesmers, I even decided to make one for sure, and it's likely that it won't be my last alt either by far.

I'm not a big fan of warrior-like support to be honest. Shouts weren't fun to play with the paragon and I don't really see how they could fix the problem... at least virtues come with a tradeoff between keeping them for yourself or sharing them. Banners seem too cumbersome for what I see as a mainly frontline character. If I played warrior (and I probably won't, but mainly because I already have enough frontliners in my lineup) I'd want to play it mainly offensively... seems that this is what they shine at. imo anyway.

Gorani
03-02-2012, 19:47
Symbols & Wards sound good to me, as they are more supportive than bashing things at the frontline and I am probably still influenced by my armoured D&D priest I played.

RD
03-02-2012, 23:43
When I think shouts and banners on Warrior, I think of my Captain in LotRO, which I like very much!

Mesmer... Like I said, I'm apprehensive, but open to it.

Alaris
03-02-2012, 23:52
The more I hear about LotRo, the more I want to look up the professions. Seems they had some really interesting twists on the conventional professions.

RD
04-02-2012, 00:39
It's F2P so you literally have nothing to lose by giving it a shot. Two classes will be locked unless you buy the Moria expansion (Warden and Rune Keeper).

I THINK you can play all the starter areas for free, but subsequent areas require you drop some cash. Well, sort of. You can go almost anywhere, but you cannot complete quests unless you buy the zones. So you could level all the way to the top if you have patience to do it by killing mobs. You could also do every deed and whatever you find in-game because you get free points that way, which you can use to unlock stuff.

Honestly, the classes seemed so bland to me when I was reading about them. It wasn't until I played it (and then played it again a year later) that I really got into it.

Alaris
04-02-2012, 00:46
If the actual gameplay is WoW clonish, then I'd rather just read about the professions. I don't really want to invest the time anyway.

RD
04-02-2012, 03:44
Well, define clonish and I can try to answer based on my, admittedly, limited knowledge of WoW. Feel free to PM me, of course, since we're uber-sidetracking this thread now. It is still an MMO, so you might find it WoW-clonish, but it has some stuff that I think is cool, like Legendary Items, Book Quests, Deeds, and Skirmishes.

Alaris
04-02-2012, 04:16
What's more important for me is combat dynamics. Can you dodge shots? Also, do you use skills in a fairly predetermined rotation or are they more situational?

RD
04-02-2012, 05:14
Can't dodge, no. I don't think skills are really used in a predetermined rotation because a lot of skills (at least with classes I play) are triggered by other events. Each class has a unique mechanic that ties into this.

Warden, for example, uses a system called Gambits. Basically, Wardens only really get three skills: Spear, Shield, and Fist. You chain those three together in a certain order to create a Gambit. An example: Spear Shield Spear Shield = Wall of Steel; buffs your riposte. Fist Spear Shield Fist Shield = Exultation of Battle; AOE DoT that heals you for the HP it drains. EoB you want to use when you're surrounded to get the maximum benefit. If you're just fighting one mob, you'd be better of with one of the HoT skills you can get (Shield Spear Shield Spear Shield = Restoration).

Captains get a herald and banners, but you can only use one at a time. These can be used to buff your energy, hp, or combat skills. They also get a few shouts that can only be used after an enemy is defeated. One is an AOE attack, another is a combat buff, third is a heal, fourth is actually a battle res. They're not too bad in combat, but their DPS is low. They have a couple of attack skills, including a shout which makes them "Battle Ready" or something, which then allows them to use one of two different damage skills. There's more to the class than that, but this already kind of lengthy.

In short: It's still an MMO, but, of the classes I've played, it's not like "Here are all your skills, use them all in a specific order." On my Captain, to be honest, combat is pretty static. Just stand there, hit attack skill, use shout, use anohter attack, kill enemy, use battle shout, kill other, heal, etc. But it IS my preferred role (melee + support). Warden is way more involved (which is why I love it) because I never follow the same pattern in killing an enemy twice.

Alaris
04-02-2012, 05:40
Well, I got my answer. The no dodging is usually associated with static combat. However, the skill system does sound more interesting than standard clones. The warden sounds like Magicka, which some people find fun. The Captain has some situational skills (must be used after a foe dies).

Another quick question. Are persistent areas mostly 1vs1 or what? For reference, in WoW you're usually alone although you can group up, and you can easily aggro single foes. That's 1vs1 despite the ability to group and to aggro more than 1. SWTOR is 2vsMany as in you & hench vs a mob where it's impossible to aggro just one.

Akirai Annuvil
04-02-2012, 10:45
The lines that prevent you from crossing. No idea what they're called (they're the wards? IIRC, somebody used Line of Warding so that's probably right).

Oh and combat in LotRO is wow-like. Not an exact clone as some of the classes are pretty unique (though tbh, not necessarilly interesting), but the meat and bones of the combat is the same.

Vana
04-02-2012, 12:44
Wards have potential to be absolutely awesome.

Simply Kedde
04-02-2012, 13:04
I'm not going to choose a specific type, but rather define the actions I think are very interesting for skills since that makes more sense to me.

Any type of skill that interacts with the environment to act as a sort of zone control through either physical blocking or a tradeoff for the enemy for passing through creates a good dynamic for the gameplay.

Any skill that is some sort of skillshot adds a lot in my opinion. Most of these so far seem to appear as AoE skills, which is fine. I would like to see some skills implemented as skillshots though that don't necessarily have to be AoE.

RD
04-02-2012, 14:30
Another quick question. Are persistent areas mostly 1vs1 or what? For reference, in WoW you're usually alone although you can group up, and you can easily aggro single foes. That's 1vs1 despite the ability to group and to aggro more than 1. SWTOR is 2vsMany as in you & hench vs a mob where it's impossible to aggro just one.

I think it depends on the class. You can absolutely group, which speeds things up, but I haven't needed to group for anything other than dungeon areas (ex. Barrow Downs). I don't think any of the classes NEED to group, but I'm not positive.
On my Warden, I rarely fight 1v1 because he's a powerhouse. I usually grab at least two mobs, sometimes 3 or 4. When it's 3-4, it's more interesting because I have to be more careful about which gambits I'm using (defense, heals).
On my Captain, I usually use the bannerman, so it is typically 2v1 or 2v2. I haven't used him in a while, but I seem to remember him having more trouble with multiple mobs than my Warden.

In LotRO, as soon as you have more than one mob beating on you, combat changes. Whenever I have multiple mobs hitting me, I seem to lose HP a lot more quickly, and not proportionately like in other MMOs. I THINK position affects the damage done / your defense (so if the other mob is behind you, it hits more often and harder), but I'm not positive.

Another class example I just thought of: Hunter (Ranger-equivalent) is really effective in ranged combat. Even my Warden, if he's getting hit by a Hunter mob, his HP starts to drop. But once I get into melee with him, the fight is basically over because you can't used ranged weapons up close. So, as a Hunter, your goal is to keep combat to ranged as much as possible. Hunter mobs will often root / snare / stun you so they can run away a bit and peg you with their ranged skills.
I used to know about Minstrel (healer), but they did some huge changes and I haven't played him since.
Rune Keepers have a gauge that essentially "overheats" depending on the skills you're using. If you're using a lot of heals, it locks you bar so you can ONLY use heals until it goes back down; same for damage spells.

Combat is def not as advanced as GW 2, probably not even as advanced as DDO, but I don't really think it is a WoW clone.

Alaris
04-02-2012, 15:07
The 1vs1 question wasn't so much about whether you did, but whether it was possible. In WoW for example, you can 1vs1, but many professions can and often do aggro multiple foes at a time.

Erring Ryft
04-02-2012, 16:07
Wards and bubbles, definitely - especially if they actually look like bubbles. I bring SoD with me quite often just because it's really fun to watch; I wouldn't mind seeing a much prettier version in GW2.

Brother Lo Wang
16-03-2012, 17:11
+1 here wards and bubbles also the elite skils seam to be excelent

Lanka
28-03-2012, 18:51
Wards and bubbles too, seems to be a winner :)