PDA

View Full Version : What version of the Mesmer looks the most badass to you?

Jez
15-03-2012, 23:32
I know this was probably asked somewhere else but I felt a mesmer specific one might be nice to spurn discussion. l Personally, can't wait to try a rogue style of illusionist with a main hand sword but more specifically one that uses a torch for an offhand. The Prestige looks like a fun trick in pvp and for survival in pve.

Edit: I should add that I'm only using the MH / 2handed options because they are really the most playstyle defining parts of a weapon set.

RD
16-03-2012, 00:37
The only kind of Mesmer I am even interested in playing is a 1HS Mesmer. While it was my favorite class in GW 1, the changes are too much for me. I'll give the other weapons a shot, but I'm not foreseeing a lot of play.

Erring Ryft
16-03-2012, 03:30
You're such a downer on Mesmers lately. I'm still holding out some hope that you'll pick one up and decide it's teh best ting evar all over again. It's possible.

Alaris
16-03-2012, 15:12
Whatever pops the most clones and phantasms, phantasms preferably. If I'm not blowing these copies up, I'm doing it wrong.

RD
16-03-2012, 15:40
You're such a downer on Mesmers lately. I'm still holding out some hope that you'll pick one up and decide it's teh best ting evar all over again. It's possible.

haha I know, it's true. I really don't like the changes at all :( I have a little hope that I'll still enjoy the gameplay, but it's just... so different.

Alaris
16-03-2012, 15:52
I hope you'll realize that gameplay isn't that different once you play it.

Since I decided on norn, I think I might consider big weapons more. Totally going for the fear factor in WvW. Bunch of norn with giant swords running at you... you panic ;)

RD
16-03-2012, 16:24
It MIGHT be okay, but I highly doubt it will be close to GW1 gameplay. The lasers alone...

Alaris
16-03-2012, 17:22
Well, scepter laser is weird, but 2H sword one is pretty cool.

Erring Ryft
16-03-2012, 19:48
It'd be way worse to use the 2H to chop things. Here's hoping for 1h rapier skins this time around.

Jez
16-03-2012, 21:05
I think sceptre and staff would be the closest to old school mesmer. I like how the mesmer doesn't even hold the greatsword but rather telekineticly holds it in front of her. I'm saddened by lack of scythes though. Casters with scythes look awesome. (and I know you can sorta get that with necros... probably my 6th class I make)

Alaris
16-03-2012, 22:00
Telekinetic sword works well for me, it reminds me of illusionary weaponry. And sword+pistol as dueling is also pretty cool (and I don't have to make a thief to boot). I'm pretty happy with the class.

Thalanor Thornhale
18-03-2012, 03:50
I personally will be switching between 2 weapon sets. I like both sword and scepter. But it would be interesting to try sword and greatswort or scepter and greatsword combos as well, and in WvW perhaps the staff would be nice....ARgh...I can't make up my mind :-)

Akirai Annuvil
18-03-2012, 13:37
It MIGHT be okay, but I highly doubt it will be close to GW1 gameplay.
It's not. The entire game doesn't play like GW1, so neither does the Mesmer.

Dual wield swords as main set. It seems to spawn the most illusions, it's got a few good jump abilities and is best at the best thing ever (juking).

Shallowrain
20-03-2012, 18:57
I get the feeling that I'm going to be using the giant laser sword, and then probably a sword/pistol set.

RD
20-03-2012, 19:18
lol Based on the poll, no one wants to even try to play classic Mesmer style. Guess that explains why they changed so much.

Shallowrain
20-03-2012, 19:23
The biggest problem with old mesmer play is hexes and the overall changes everywhere. Without energy and hexes, a lot of the mesmer old school stuff goes out the window.

and I like sword beams

Jez
20-03-2012, 20:22
Well there isn't much of an old mesmer style. The closest to old school effects is confusion. There are enough interrupts to satisfy the control crowd though, mostly to do with utilities so the weapon matters less.

Alaris
20-03-2012, 20:27
Pfft, I want to play my mesmer old style with respect to gameplay, but that means making clones and nuking them. The poll is what I'll start with or what I am most excited about though (greatsword, because norn), but I will be playing all weapons.

Old school mesmer is shutdown and messing up with their mind... plenty of place for that in GW2 imo.

RD
20-03-2012, 20:41
They could have made straight condition application a mechanic. These clones, though....

Alaris
20-03-2012, 21:09
I voted lazer pew pew greatsword, but only because my mesmer will be norn. If she was human, I'd probably go sword + pistol, and sylvari probably staff or scepter. I'll be playing all of these of course, but I think with mesmer it's more important to have a fashion style and also to mess with people's mind. Norn + greatsword for example, with the right armor set, they may think I am a warrior... that's what I am hoping for.

As for conditions, degens, and debuffs, I also think there's plenty of place for that. Keep in mind the main mesmer condition punishes attacks once stacked enough, and clones etc doing damage is like a degen. I see a lot of parallels in gameplay, but of course the looks of the mesmer has been updated to work with GW2's visual style.

Jez
20-03-2012, 22:19
I just realized I said focus in my initial post when I meant torch. In my head I find the style of clones flying in, me flying in, clones shattering and I disappear only to appear somewhere else in a burst of flame to just start the process over again. It feels to me very chaotic being new but feeling like a mesmer still.

Irakaz
07-04-2012, 22:36
Staff. Chaos Storm. Nuff said.

EnoughAlready
05-08-2012, 16:32
haha I know, it's true. I really don't like the changes at all :( I have a little hope that I'll still enjoy the gameplay, but it's just... so different.

To true.

And it's clear Alaris just doesn't understand the Mesmer, or Mesmer players, in the slightest.

I'm going to give the Minstrel a fair try, most I have seen being played use the '2H sword and running in circles' play style, but I'd preffer 1H sceptre main and 1h sword switch.

Alaris
05-08-2012, 16:52
And it's clear Alaris just doesn't understand the Mesmer, or Mesmer players, in the slightest.

And you do?

Just because I have a different view of what I like in mesmers doesn't mean I don't understand them.