PDA

View Full Version : Zoo Crew?

shadowhand
08-08-2012, 14:34
Hey :)

With Guild Wars 2 just around the corner, I started wondering what to do with my saturday nights. I mean, I know what to do with my saturday nights, but what I'd rather be doing would be going on grand adventures with my old (and new) buddies from The Zoo Crew.

And since I can't seem to locate the thread in General Discussion where it used to be, this seemed to be a good place to post about it.

I guess part of the fun with the Zoos was doing hard stuff with what a lot of players would perceive as a "gimped" build. That is, one with at least 2 beastmaster skills on the hotbar.

It got a lot easier later when we could just stuff Comfort Animal in a corner and get on with being awesome.

Still, part of the fun was to do crazy stuff and bring a pet. Now, since there's no way that non-primary rangers can do that, I was curious about whether anyone would be up for some ranger gatherings on say Saturdays, around the usual Zoo Crew time?

If so, on what server? (I haven't got the faintest clue how guesting other servers works.)

Phew. That was a lot of words.

Anyway, I thought I'd make a post if for no other reason than to be nostalgic about all the great times I've had with the fantastic people in the Zoo Crew. (and random tagalongs like myself obviously.

Gorani
08-08-2012, 15:22
At the moment I am torn between creating a Ranger or a Thief as my medium armor character and I have to admit that I had more fun with the early levels of Thief than with the Ranger. Not to mention that my time is limited and the Elementalist will be the main. I would miss you guys a lot.

Lady Rhonwyn
08-08-2012, 15:34
Well, as you all should know, my main will be ranger. And I think it would be fun to start fresh in GW2 with the Zoo Crew. We could even start a guild for it!

And Gorani, there are 3 armour types in the game, and 5 character slots. So, what's stopping you from making both a ranger and a thief?

And thanks to the level scaling, the fact that you're not as high level at one point as the rest, shouldn't stop you from joining. There'll also be dungeons for the lower levels (30).

Gorani
08-08-2012, 16:28
And Gorani, there are 3 armour types in the game, and 5 character slots. So, what's stopping you from making both a ranger and a thief?

Time my dear. I have well-founded doubts, that I can invest as much time in different characters in GW2 as I had in GW1. Slots are not the problem.

Alaris
08-08-2012, 16:37
I do have a suggestion to make... why not make the zoo crew in GW2 use any kind of pet, be it a ranger pet or a summon. Including racial summons, that means that just about anyone can join in, and as bonus it means we end up getting more diverse pets.

I regret not having managed to join the zoo crew in the past, but I certainly would enjoy such expeditions, and I would detour from my regular activities to join one.

shadowhand
08-08-2012, 18:04
Hmm, that might work...

I definately enjoyed bringing my black widow on my necromancer for the GW (1) gatherings. Pets and summons are not _that_ different in concept I guess. And undead minions do last indefinately now. Or at least until they take enough damage to die.

ghosia
09-08-2012, 18:37
Ranger is always my first character.

And Zoo Crew has always been fun.

Count me in :smiley:.

And I like Alaris' suggestion.

And here's the link to the old thread:
http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?382087-Zoo-Crew-Unite!

:wave:

[Edit]
And here's few words from our green leader (spotted today in GW1 in Zoo Crew guild announcement section):

"It's been decided! The Zoo Crew's official Guild Wars 2 server will be the Henge of Denravi! Make a ranger as a guest or make it your home server, we will meet in Lion's Arch. Same Zoo Crew time, new Zoo Crew place."

releasetheweasel
09-08-2012, 19:24
Well well well, it's been a while since I've been here it seems. Thank you for updating quickly what we discussed last week at the meeting.

As noted above, I got bossy and decided what server the Zoo Crew will be located on as the Henge of Denravi. I'll make the guild as soon as possible and we'll have our first meeting on the 25th during the head start (joining the guild is not a requirement for adventuring with us, just an option). We'll meet at our usual time (18:00 GMT? Time zones still confuse me) and in Lion's Arch. Just go through the asura gate in your home city and we will all meet at the asura gate nexus there (and probably proceed to find a less crowded meeting spot.) I'll be playing a human ranger named Susie Dear and my account name is releasetheweasel.2345, you can send me a tell or add me to your friends list.

As for what constitutes as a pet, I leave that open to discussion. I know the majority of Zoo Crew faithful will be rolling up rangers anyway simply out of preference. Rangers are awesome.

Lady Rhonwyn
10-08-2012, 07:09
Well, I will want an invite into the Zoo Crew guild, especially as you can be member of multiple guilds. Will make communications a lot easier!

shadowhand
10-08-2012, 21:15
HoD? Sounds good to me. And so does a guild. :)

ghosia
11-08-2012, 04:01
We'll meet at our usual time (18:00 GMT? Time zones still confuse me) and in Lion's Arch. Just go through the asura gate in your home city and we will all meet at the asura gate nexus there (and probably proceed to find a less crowded meeting spot.).
We can go to our usual spot. I don't think we will have problems with crowds there:

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4539/zoocrewmeetingplace.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/zoocrewmeetingplace.jpg/)

:grin:

shadowhand
11-08-2012, 05:33
I had the exact same thought Ghosia :D

Alaris
11-08-2012, 17:02
Please add me up. I always wanted to join...

I'll be using Dii as my main guild though.

Not sure yet if I'll be able to join on 25th, besides I doubt I'd be able to get a summon in time... my ranger is low on my list of profs to play.

Guided Daggers
11-08-2012, 18:01
This seems cool. Who is allowed to join? Anyone?
And is it possible to join a guild if you only guest to that server every once in a while?

LeBlack
11-08-2012, 18:56
I'm interested as well. I finally managed to play a ranger long enough to like him.

Beren Iluthiel
13-08-2012, 19:38
Count my wonderful ranger in!

Lady Rhonwyn
13-08-2012, 19:42
This seems cool. Who is allowed to join? Anyone?
And is it possible to join a guild if you only guest to that server every once in a while?

Guilds are cross-server and cross-region. So you can join any guild in any region.

Alaris
13-08-2012, 19:51
Do mesmer clones count?

LeBlack
16-08-2012, 18:40
My Charr ranger is looking forward to meeting you all.

nabbed
17-08-2012, 20:24
Is there any reason to pick anything other than the smallest Asura for PVP reasons (smaller char, more difficult to see)?

Alaris
17-08-2012, 20:30
All races have the same-sized hitbox, and racial skills are not allowed in PvP. So aside for hiding purposes, there is no reason to pick one race over another.

Well, aside for surprise value, that is. Most people expect mesmers to not be norn or charr. I fully intend to deceive people in PvP with my norn mesmer, who will do everything to look like a warrior.

nabbed
18-08-2012, 00:03
All races have the same-sized hitbox, and racial skills are not allowed in PvP. So aside for hiding purposes, there is no reason to pick one race over another.

Well, aside for surprise value, that is. Most people expect mesmers to not be norn or charr. I fully intend to deceive people in PvP with my norn mesmer, who will do everything to look like a warrior.

Hiding purposes. Hitting on the nose here!
If I can get an advantage by choosing a race which can hide better, is this feature gonna be nerfed?

P.S. Your plan do deceive people by using a Norn Mesmer is kind of silly...

ghosia
22-08-2012, 20:29
So... do we have any plans for our next meeting? :tongue:

shadowhand
22-08-2012, 21:19
As for what constitutes as a pet, I leave that open to discussion. I know the majority of Zoo Crew faithful will be rolling up rangers anyway simply out of preference. Rangers are awesome.

I'll probably bring a necro for the first meeting. Or a warrior. But I'm definately rolling a ranger too - it's just hard to level all 5 guys at the same time on the launch day :P

But, yeah. So far so good. See you guys on HoD* on the 25th :)

So... do we have any plans for our next meeting? http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/images/smilies/gold/tongue.gif

Shh. Don't mention the P word. Preston might read this and get all flustered.

*) the server, of course, not the location.

Lady Rhonwyn
22-08-2012, 21:38
Unless guesting is working, I won't be there. My computer barely can run the game, and if I start to introduce lag into the mix, I doubt it'll be a pleasant experience...

shadowhand
22-08-2012, 22:01
I didn't actually notice any difference in lag from the European servers to the America ones.

In the first beta weekend I was on the Europe servers. And just to see if I could feel any difference, I moved to America: Steamspur Mountains for the next one.

And then to America: Crystal Desert for the third bwe.

In short, I didn't notice any difference at all.

One of the stress tests had some lag spikes though but I think that was a general problem with the NA servers that day. Even in GW(1)

The last few stress tests have been extraordinarily smooth.

[edit]

If you want to test whether there's a big difference from the america servers to the europe ones, you can try running the ookla tests.

Uh, pingtest.net and speedtest.net

Pick a server close to the anet datacenter. San Francisco should work. Low ping and less jitter is better than high download speeds for games in general.

For comparison, test against the Nuremberg server in germany - the one in Frankfurt seems to be bugged at the moment.

If you get significantly different numbers than what you're expecting, you might want to contact your ISP and complain.

They might have their own speed test but it's usually based on ookla so they'll probably fix it for you if you send them a sufficiently annoying email.

I know mine did...

ghosia
22-08-2012, 22:39
As transfer is free (for now), I will be changing servers for Zoo meeting to HoD. I will start on one of the EU ones.

Draxias
14-09-2012, 08:30
Hi guys!
I have to say, there's nothing quite as awesome as being part of the start of something, and revisiting it years later to discover it's something big! I personally started with the Zoo Crew as a wispy ranger by the name of Puni Kobayashi with her beloved (and frankly, quite awesome) pet wolf, named Fenrir. To my continuing shame, I left Guild Wars for the glamorous land of World of Warcraft, and lost myself there for a few years; somehow, Fenrir managed not to starve to death in my absence.
Now, the present: Guild Wars 2 is amazing. And I think it'd only get better for me if I rejoined the Zoo Crew. I'm on "Sea Of Sorrows" (anyone know if guesting is available yet? I don't seem to see any current references to it), and it took me a while to get around to making my ranger; saving the best for last and all that. As a result of this, I'm a fairly low level ranger right now, but working quickly to remedy that.
Anyways, if certain people read this post (Hi Weasel! Hi Lady Rhonwyn! Hi Gorani!) before I see any of you in-game, I'd love it if you'd consider re-inviting me to the Crew.

See ya!
-Draxias

Lady Rhonwyn
14-09-2012, 09:01
Hi guys!
I have to say, there's nothing quite as awesome as being part of the start of something, and revisiting it years later to discover it's something big! I personally started with the Zoo Crew as a wispy ranger by the name of Puni Kobayashi with her beloved (and frankly, quite awesome) pet wolf, named Fenrir. To my continuing shame, I left Guild Wars for the glamorous land of World of Warcraft, and lost myself there for a few years; somehow, Fenrir managed not to starve to death in my absence.
Now, the present: Guild Wars 2 is amazing. And I think it'd only get better for me if I rejoined the Zoo Crew. I'm on "Sea Of Sorrows" (anyone know if guesting is available yet? I don't seem to see any current references to it), and it took me a while to get around to making my ranger; saving the best for last and all that. As a result of this, I'm a fairly low level ranger right now, but working quickly to remedy that.
Anyways, if certain people read this post (Hi Weasel! Hi Lady Rhonwyn! Hi Gorani!) before I see any of you in-game, I'd love it if you'd consider re-inviting me to the Crew.

See ya!
-Draxias

Hey! Long time no see! Good to hear that poor Fenrir didn't starve to death in your absence. And even better to hear you also moved to GW2.

Sadly, guesting still isn't implemented and with the way the guilds are implemented, I won't be switching servers. ANet should implement so we can play together again!

shadowhand
14-09-2012, 11:47
Yeah, the lack of a guesting feature and the fact that my guild decided on Blackgate means I've been zoo-less for too long :/

I presume Preston and the others are still on Henge of Denravi? (That server kicked us around majorly in WvW.)

Draxias
16-09-2012, 03:01
It's a little difficult to keep track of which things are cross-server and which are not. I had thought that invitations could be sent across servers, but when I stopped to really think about it, I suppose that doesn't make much sense.
I'll just have to be patient, and work on bringing my ranger up in the meantime!

Silverwyng
03-10-2012, 08:05
back in GW, i had a blast every time i would stray into a Zoo Crew meet. they're very nice people! also, they let me bring my low level pet to vanquishes so we (my pet an i) died a lot but it was okay! :grin:

i miss hanging out with you guys! i have a thief as a main though, and i'm still getting him through the game (i'm almost at 40 lol). as soon as i finish the game, i'll roll a ranger so i can hang out with you guys! :laugh:

Lady Rhonwyn
03-10-2012, 08:55
It's a little difficult to keep track of which things are cross-server and which are not. I had thought that invitations could be sent across servers, but when I stopped to really think about it, I suppose that doesn't make much sense.
I'll just have to be patient, and work on bringing my ranger up in the meantime!

Yes, guilds can be cross-server. You can not, however, guest yet.

Hmm, I need to tackle Preston when I see him online....

Aiah di Romilly
04-10-2012, 12:37
After 200year, Zoo Crew is still active :)
We meet same time, and still in LA.
To bad guesting isn't available atm :(

BTW Preston created his zoo guild on Henge of Denravi.

Lady Rhonwyn
04-10-2012, 13:50
After 200year, Zoo Crew is still active :)
We meet same time, and still in LA.
To bad guesting isn't available atm :(

BTW Preston created his zoo guild on Henge of Denravi.

Guild location is not important... Guesting is!

Aiah di Romilly
17-01-2013, 15:48
Looking at the lackbuster implementation of the upcomming guesting system , i started to cry

<info>
for who hasn't seen it yet:
- guesting is comming with next update
- guesting will NOT be availeble between regions (aka EU / NA / ...)
- world transfers will cost gems/$ from 28jan
</info>

So no change of zoo's from over the world meeting anytime soon / if ever.

Lady Rhonwyn
17-01-2013, 15:49
Looking at the lackbuster implementation of the upcomming guesting system , i started to cry

<info>
for who hasn't seen it yet:
- guesting is comming with next update
- guesting will NOT be availeble between regions (aka EU / NA / ...)
- world transfers will cost gems/$ from 28jan
</info>

So no change of zoo's from over the world meeting anytime soon / if ever.

I cried with you and my first thought was: we still won't be able to revive the zoo crew!

ghosia
17-01-2013, 17:35
This is really sad. Zoo Crew was one of the few things I was still looking forward to in GW2...

shadowhand
18-01-2013, 17:03
This is really sad. Zoo Crew was one of the few things I was still looking forward to in GW2...

Me too. Well, at least I get to see you, Gorani and Rhonwyn once in a while.

This continental segregation sucks.

Xedu
26-01-2013, 09:26
Me too. Well, at least I get to see you, Gorani and Rhonwyn once in a while.

This continental segregation sucks.

It totally does. I see the others online but we can't get together to conquer the world! My beasties are lonely. I am hoping they reconsider guesting.

But Canthan New Year is just around the corner. Time to go back and visit!