PC Gaming News

Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by supermanboy
    Timesinks have a much larger role in pay-to-play games. The more you make people wait, the more money you can milk from them. I have always loathed this. Flying from one area to another was a slow pain in the butt. Between trying to find teams back in the day, running around in town and flying to the zone you could easily spend an hour doing nothing.

The cool thing GW2 has about it is the scaling factor. The game will always be chanllenging even if you are playing with someone much lower or much higher than you. In GW1, there was no "gear treadmill." Cool term btw. ;) You could easily get useful items, but was the skins that set people apart. This was absolutely brilliant. There will always be status symbols in games, but the difference here is that someone wearing Obby armour had the same stats on it as someone wearing something they crafted in town. In fact, there are some exceptionally expensive items which I don't think look very cool at all.

I'm also not sure about replay value. In GW2, you can easily try many different play styles/builds. That is what I loved about GW1. You can screw around trying things out to your hearts content. I think releasing an expansion every 6 months is a bit too fast. People are still messing around, having fun and trying different things. Even after all these years, I'm having fun in GW trying new things and doing new stuff.

EDIT: Great blog btw. ;)

Well my point was more that while grind always gets associated with p2p as a sort of security to ensure people to keep paying (what you say basically) that the design as such might also have other purposes that normally are not directly obvious.

I personally often enjoyed the gryphon rides in WoW, seeing the sun going down over the barrens from that perspective is something I still remember fondly. Might be that I am just silly ofc ;)

GW1 is a completely different experience. I only recently really got into it (having had it since release ) and I am enjoying it immensely. The quick travel there is certainly a convenience that I appreciate but I personally dont nessecarily think its better or worse then a gryphon ride. That being said, the GW world is so huge that real time travel would get rather daunting ;) The absense of a gear treadmill and the focus on skill acquisition and builds though I do think is a huge improvement over the end game of WoW even though I do still enjoy the raids there for the group play.
    Updated 23-03-2012 at 11:02 by Shrandar
    Timesinks have a much larger role in pay-to-play games. The more you make people wait, the more money you can milk from them. I have always loathed this. Flying from one area to another was a slow pain in the butt. Between trying to find teams back in the day, running around in town and flying to the zone you could easily spend an hour doing nothing.

The cool thing GW2 has about it is the scaling factor. The game will always be chanllenging even if you are playing with someone much lower or much higher than you. In GW1, there was no "gear treadmill." Cool term btw. ;) You could easily get useful items, but was the skins that set people apart. This was absolutely brilliant. There will always be status symbols in games, but the difference here is that someone wearing Obby armour had the same stats on it as someone wearing something they crafted in town. In fact, there are some exceptionally expensive items which I don't think look very cool at all.

I'm also not sure about replay value. In GW2, you can easily try many different play styles/builds. That is what I loved about GW1. You can screw around trying things out to your hearts content. I think releasing an expansion every 6 months is a bit too fast. People are still messing around, having fun and trying different things. Even after all these years, I'm having fun in GW trying new things and doing new stuff.

EDIT: Great blog btw. ;)
    Good blog.

Afaik, death knight is only available if you already have a char at that level... so you can't skip, rather you can start over. Not that I would want to play a death knight as my main.

Scroll of rez is awesome... finally.

GW's economic model though wants us to start getting bored with the game when the expansions start coming out... so that we get the new expansion. Produce too much too fast, people are not done with the old stuff. Produce too little, people get bored and move to something else. But the point is that they need to make content that makes you want to buy it (because it's fun) yet gets completed (so you move on to the next expansion).

Dungeon finder was awesome. I did only dungeons during one of my free weeks. The tool was great. Unfortunately, I was not so taken by dungeons, as a healer I had less to do than I did back in GW, and in GW I could be a hybrid if I choose to.

Agreed that you need to keep players engaged, but imo WoW didn't engage so much as trapped you. I was not engaged when I could watch a movie while my character was flying a bird from one city to another. So while it might have worked back when, this is something that I am glad is changing.

The trick with GW2 will be to remove time sinks, but keep people social and engaged. I think the combo and DEs and all that will help that happen.