PC Gaming News
View RSS Feed

The Warm and Fuzzy Blog of Love and Caring

Loretastic Nerdiness and Other Misc RPG Babble

Rate this Entry
I am such a carebear.

I'm getting into the expansion stuff for the first time, and it's completely blowing me away. This is from two-year old content, no less. I can't wait to check out the stuff from the new expansion.

So. Lore, as the title hints to. Something I never understood in Guild Wars, and quite frankly, I find it boring, wholly uninteresting, and completely forgettable. But walking into Shattrath City for the first time, you're sent to the very middle of the city to talk to a naaru there. A mage then steps in and tells you not to trifle it with your petty questions, that it's probably the most powerful being you may ever come face to face with, and then he summons a voidwalker to show you around the city.

So as you're following around this tour guide, he's /whispering you a ton of backstory on the city, and to be quite honest, I was completely riveted.. it was sort of like a gw Kurzick/Luxon thing, only in the end they all don't join hands and hug trees. If you align yourself with one group, the other group WILL hate you, and attack you if you venture into their section of town.

Shattrath was once the draenei capital of this world. Its name means "dwelling of light." When the Burning Legion turned the orcs against the draenei, the fiercest battle was fought here. The draenei fought tooth and nail, but in the end the city fell. The city was left in ruins and darkness... until the Sha'tar arrived. The Sha'tar, or "born from light" are the naaru that came to Outland to fight the demons of the Burning Legion. They were drawn to the ruins of Shattrath City where a small remnant of the draenei priesthood conducted its rites inside a ruined temple on this very spot.

The priesthood, known as the Aldor, quickly regained its strength as word spread that the naaru had returned and reconstruction soon began. The ruined temple is now used as an infirmary for injured refugees. It wouldn't be long, however, before the city came under attack once again. This time, the attack came from Illidan's armies. A large regiment of blood elves had been sent by Illidan's ally, Kael'thas Sunstrider, to lay waste to the city. As the regiment of blood elves crossed this very bridge, the Aldor's exarchs and vindicators lined up to defend the Terrace of Light. But then the unexpected happened. The blood elves laid down their weapons in front of the city's defenders; their leader, a blood elf elder known as Voren'thal, stormed into the Terrace of Light and demanded to speak to A'dal. As the naaru approached him, Voren'thal kneeled before him and uttered the following words: "I've seen you in a vision, naaru. My race's only hope for survival lies with you. My followers and I are here to serve you."

The defection of Voren'thal and his followers was the largest loss ever incurred by Kael's forces. And these weren't just any blood elves. Many of the best and brightest amongst Kael's scholars and magisters had been swayed by Voren'thal's influence. The naaru accepted the defectors, who would become known as the Scryers; their dwelling lies in the platform above. Only those initiated with the Scryers are allowed there.

The Aldor are followers of the Light and forgiveness and redemption are values they understand. However, they found hard to forget the deeds of the blood elves while under Kaell's command. Many of the priesthood had been slain by the same magisters who now vowed to serve the naaru. They were not happy to share the city with their former enemies. The Aldor's most holy temple and its surrounding dwellings lie on the terrace above. As a holy site, only the initiated are welcome inside.

The attacks against Shattrath continued, but the city did not fall, as you can see. On the contrary, the naaru known as Xi'ri led a successful incursion into Shadowmoon Valley - Illidan's doorstep. There he continues to wage war on Illidan with the assistance of the Aldor and the Scryers. The two factions have not given up on their old feuds, though. Such is their animosity that they vie for the honor of being sent to assist the naaru there. Each day, that decision is made here by A'dal. The armies gather here to receive A'dal's blessing before heading to Shadowmoon. Khadgar should be ready to see you again. Just remember that to serve the Sha'tar you will most likely have to ally with the Aldor or the Scryers. And seeking the favor of one group will cause the others' dislike.

Good luck stranger, and welcome to Shattrath City.

I allied with the Aldor, obviously. Hell with the elves.

------------------

So my game time runs out tomorrow, at around 11am.
I'll be buying more.

It's quite frankly the best 15 dollars I can spend in a month for the money/fun ratio. Weeknights after work (when I have it) I can talk to my RL friends and game with them. The game itself is better than Guild Wars in every way except two: No map travel (though that's not a huge issue as the hearthstone is getting a 30 minute cooldown instead of 1hr next patch, as well as speed buffs/mounts being available. Once you get a few flightpaths it's a non-issue, although the 1 to 5 minute flight seems pointless. I'm pushing for a double-priced instant point-to-point travel option.) The other downside is very very occasionally there'll be a quest which leads you to an area where some douchebag death knight is there who doesn't want to party with you, and is killing a lot of the monsters you need. But usually the planets have to be aligned for that to happen, as respawn rates are high, and people on my server are mature and helpful - far more mature than any pug I've personally ever come across in gw.

Of course I don't need to go on about the perks of a game where bandwidth is tossed about far more freely due to the income paying for server costs and such. Auction houses, mail systems with instant char-to-char transfers, gargantuan inventory and storage, the ability to chat directly to GMs, achievements, a test server for upcoming patches, large content updates every few months (kind of like Sorrow's Furnace, only triple the size and far more often), and freedom of movement. It's not that gw is bad, per se, it's that it's so hard to go back because it feels so goddamn primitive and archaic.

Something else that's neat, there's pve that people use ventrilo for! Not for fun. FOR PLANNING. Seriously. PvE that needs vent coordination to be successful. Like.. what? My brain.. hard to comprehend. Damn. But watching them do a dungeon at Nessa's last lan party was really, really impressive. It was like they were planning strategy in a pvp match, only.. it was pve. This is mostly because instead of gw's "LOL MORE DAMAGE = MORE DIFFICULT" philosophy, bosses all have unique environmental effects, skills, counters, and quirks. For example the Malygos boss fight, towards the end the boss dragon breaks the platform your guild is standing on, but the Red Dragonflight (the good dragons) fly in from the sides to catch you, and you finish the fight with an aerial dogfight on the back of these friggin things. HELL YES.

So yeah. I'll be playing it more.

And no, you still can't have my stuff, because I'll be using it if GW2 manages to be as good as Warcraft. But until then I'll be playing a pretty great facsimile of Anet's next-gen game today, instead of next year.
---------------------------------

And yes, I still say the game looks great, although I'll concede that screenshots don't do it justice. It has more "life" to it than any other game I can think of offhand, which is why I idiotically mentioned earlier that I wished I could take "pictures that move" earlier today. Yeah. (Kind of like this newfangled technology called video I suppose?)
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I was Scryor. Didn't mean **** to me as I blew through the instances and quests and went to northrend :p

But yeah, Warcraft lore (even for me having only played WC3/FT) is amazing. GW Lore I'm like "oh.. that kinda correlates.. I think...?"

Edit: You should see Sartharion with 3 Drakes up, really hectic :p

Looking forward to Ulduar.
    Updated 16-03-2009 at 16:58 by Ryuujinx
    GWLore>WarcraftLore. Not by much, but warcraft got ****ed over in the expansions (and partly in WoW). Guild wars managed to **** itself over less.

Though why sequels and expansion always have to be terribad at expanding the lore is a mystery even to me.
    As I don't know that much about the stories and lore in general in wow, I cannot truly comment on it, but I found the storyline and all sorts of funny things in the WC games themselves.
    That has to be a great building ground to establish a game on.
    How do you figure it got ****ed over in the expansions? It merely.. expands.. on the story that was already there. Arthas gets turned into a Lich King and goes to Northrend. Okay, so logically that means we'll be going to Northrend for Epic Lich King Battle of the Ages. So how did doing that in the last expansion screw anything up?