PC Gaming News
View RSS Feed

Gorani's Blog

Toothless Tiger, Hidden Game ? - Part 1

Rate this Entry
Hello GWO community members, just players of GuildWars or newcomers to either this site or the game.
This post marks my first blog entry in the upcoming series of GWO Bloggers, here on the new/revamped site. All bloggers will try to focus on certain aspects of the game as far as we can plan ahead now, so read all of them to get the full picture or chose your favorite.

Canthan new year has passed

Last week marked the appearance of the Celestial Animal at the Canthan new year festival - a Tiger.
(For the clueless and intrigued: Every year since 2007 the Canthan New Year is a special in-game event, hosted in and around the Shing Jae Monastery in the GuildWars campaign of Factions. People have to gather certain items to create a dish for the Celestial Animal. If they succeed, they are rewarded by one-shot items that create fireworks in your guildhall and a festival lion's mask)

Festivals and in-game events both mark assets and drawbacks of both the community of gamers and the game itself.

An asset certainly is the new stuff that gets created by a team of programmers (the "Live Team", headed by Linsey Murdock) for the events. This is something we should not take for granted, as GuildWars is not a pay-2-play game and ANet got our money a long time a go. This year the team gave us Summoning Stones, that conjures up a beast in form of a celestial animal.
Another asset is the tradition of "sponsored districts", which - at least what I could witness - was the strongest year since the beginning of the event. Guilds and alliances of players provide the ingredients for the dishes, so everybody in the instance can enjoy the benefit of the rewards.

There are drawbacks, too. The most prominent is the AFK'ing of the event in the boardwalk games. You buy lots of tickets for those games and leave your character standing there without really active play.
Why do people do this? Because losing and winning games contributes to two titles in the game, that can't be completed without either endless, mind numbing grind - or standing AFK in boardwalk games, if you can afford to burn your wealth that way.
Personally, I hope for more diverse methods of getting some titles in the future.

The waiting game for GuildWars 2

This is where GuildWars 2 comes in. GuildWars 2 is the follow-up to GuildWars and its current three campaigns and one expansion. ArenaNet, the developer of GuildWars has promised GuildWars 2 a long time ago. Initially there should have been a Beta version of the game by the end of 2009, but the release was delayed a lot since that first announcement.
Some people even began to whisper the words of "vaporware" (but not in Duke Nukem proportions), but ArenaNet released a trailer with in-game graphics in late 2009 and lifted up the spirits of waiting players, like me. Unlike Blizzard has done with Diablo 3, ArenaNet is very quiet about what will be in the game and what it will look like (with the exception of the pretty "The Art of GuildWars2" book). So there is much room for speculation and divination in the year 2010.

Next week I will take a look and talk about things I will do, to keep myself interested in GuildWars, so I can bridge the gap to new information about GuildWars 2 and to migrate to the new game without turning my back on the series and leave the world of Tyria forever.

Updated 22-02-2010 at 20:13 by Gorani (original post reworked a bit)

Categories
Other things

Comments

How does showing a trailer remove the vaporware from a product? Have you never seen the trailers for THE vaporware of vaporwares: Duke Nukem Forever?

That doesn't mean I'm looking forward to more information about game play, so I can make my decision if I'll move on or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn
    How does showing a trailer remove the vaporware from a product? Have you never seen the trailers for THE vaporware of vaporwares: Duke Nukem Forever?

That doesn't mean I'm looking forward to more information about game play, so I can make my decision if I'll move on or not.
    Because not every game is Duke Nukem Forever. Usually a game trailer shows some development of the game. I was excited about the trailer and I guess 95% of the GW population was, too.

Uhhh.... sure you did not mean ".... I'm not looking forward to...."

Keep comments comming on this sample blog for the GWO "blogossphere".
    The only reason >I< used the term 'vaporware', is to get a rise out of people. Everything I've seen on GW2, shows they are working on it, and working diligently. I don't know how far along the duke nukem guys were on stuff before they decided to throw the couch out the window.

What bugs the SH** outta me about this whole GW2 things is two issues.
    One, they obviously thought they could crank GW2 out in a year or so at the start, so they made NO plans to continue support for GW1. This is evidenced by dumping one person on it to do pretty much everything.
    Also by the fact that they cut short the actual expansion they were working on TO work on GW2. (see Utopia for what eye of the north expansion COULD have been)

The second thing that bugs me, when GW2 starts taking longer then they thought to make, they don't really ramp up much support for GW1. They add a few people to it, and attempts to put out new content are sporadic at best. Even this skill update they tried to do has taken literally months.
    And during this time, many of us were expecting at least a beta testing for GW2 to occur in 09. Now we're HOPING to see open beta testing in 10. It's looking like we'll be lucky to get that. But I've talked to some people, and they say, yes, the game is well on it's way, it IS playable. Beyond that, they can say nothing else. They can't even give estimates on how far the world is built, how far quests are done, storyline, or chara and skill development.

What bugs me about THAT is, they don't want ANYONE outside the company to see all these nifty new things they're supposedly working on. So they're keeping any and all info and stuff CLOSED. I mean, they barely were able to say we could have SWIMMING! And they can't tell us what HoM achivements will bring us in the game. I will give the cavat on that one that they're probably still working out details on that issue.

That they opened the door early on, but then shut the door once work got into it, is upsetting to most players.
    BUT... the other thing is, even with the crap amount of content we're getting for GW1, even for the little scraps we're getting for GW2 now and then, we're STILL flocking to this game like there's no tomorow, which shows me just how bad off the gaming industry really is.
    For many of us, the alternatives are Aion and WoW, which... quite frankly, aren't very good alternatives at all.

Anyone know a good free Tabula Rasa server out there? :/

edit:god... that friggin pink...
    Updated 16-02-2010 at 01:51 by Noa Brightington
    Quote Originally Posted by Noa Brightington
    The only reason >I< used the term 'vaporware', is to get a rise out of people.

What bugs the SH** outta me about this whole GW2 things is two issues...
    I think Rhonwyn wasn't completely serious about the "vapoware" implications and I wasn't too.
    I appriciate your comment, but I don't think that ranting about the issues again and again will help you or the community stuck in the waiting game for GW2.
    This blog should portrait how I will try to close the gap betweeen GW and GW2 (successful or not)

I hope you will like what I have to say (or not, it's up to you all)

AaggaGGhGhghGhGhghhhh, Diablo 3.

Wait what ...

(I do LOVE the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon reference since the film rates very highly on my list of all time favourite ones.)
    I'm definitely moving on to GW2, I'm not leaving my social circle behind =D

I think ANet realized that by implementing the game in certain ways, they had pros and cons. Instances are great, but some persistent areas are required. And so on...

I do see GW2 as GW1 plus all the stuff that is missing.
    Okay. sorry for the rant, but seriously, how many times can we keep replaying the same game over and over again?
    I will admit I like going through NF again with charas that are well established, but that I just bought NF for the account.
    The thing is, it seems all we have to shoot for are titles and the upper end stuff that seems out of the reach of at least 2/3rds of the players.
    I can solo FoW, though it takes hours,
    I can go with a group and get most if not almost all of UW done, (but dhumm still kicks our butts),
    urgoz is very doable with the right group, never done deep,
    and tried a couple times to do DoA, fail each and every time.
    Slavers exile is gimmick city at best.

So our other options are to wait for special events,
    farm for nick stuff, maybe bother to run mules through stuff so they're not stuck in just the main trading citys.
    The only other thing is, the game has essentially turned into a graphic chat room with stuff to do here and there.
    Updated 19-02-2010 at 09:19 by Noa Brightington
    Noa, perhaps things I'll describe in my "waiting game blog" will provide some advice for you and those who have done "everything there is" in GW.
    Perhaps I succeed in keeping my spirit alive until GW2, perhaps not. This is something I want to write on my blog as a GW-Blogger, once Rush has the new site up (and like Akirai most likely will focus on PvP and Alaris on current events and perhaps builds)

PS: The OP is a "draft" version of the initial Blog opener for the new site, so we can find our own niche to write about and get some feedback. Any comments are still welcome and will help me modify the stuff I write about.
    I haven't gotten any pages on that, so It looks like I'm not going. oh well. Guess my style is to offball and negative at times to be useful. I deal. I'll just keep posting stuff here and not care who reads.
    I will be the RAWAR! HATE EVERRRRRYYYONNNNEEEE!
    I have updated the initial post again after the feedback I got from you and a few more days of thinking about the text.
    I also added some links to the official wiki for newbies and I think one or two pictures would help to make it more easy on the eye (but that is up to Rush if we will be able to incorporate pictures in the blog).

PS: The "draft blog" is up on the new guildwars.incgamers.com front end. Thanks to all adding to its creation here & in-game.
    http://guildwars.incgamers.com/blog/...r_hidden_game/
    Updated 22-02-2010 at 20:14 by Gorani