Ten Commandments for GWOnline.Net's Forums
1. Thou Shalt Not Flame or Troll. Even if you strongly hate the content of a post, and detest the individual to whom you're responding so strongly you dream of seeingChar Axe Fiend playing football with his internal organs, please exercise restraint and post without flames. (You are allowed, however, to make rude facial expressions and socially unacceptable hand gestures as you press "submit.") Do not bypass the word filter.
Your behaviour is judged not just here, but elsewhere. If you slander or libel this site or the site staff on another website, forum, or by other public means, your membership in GWOnline.Net's forums may be terminated without notice.
2. Thou Shalt Not Spam or Engage in Posting Wars. Post it once, and post it nice, and please don't ever post it twice. (There's a song there somewhere.) Pick a forum, pick a message, and that's that. Don't post in every forum with the same message. If it's a general post, use one of our general forums. If it's specific to a class… well.. you follow the drift. (If it's major news, then mail it to:
And we may share it with the world on our front page news.
It gives us a warm feeling in our tummies that you care about your post count and your forum ranking here at GWOnline.Net. But if we see you posting meaningless tripe to edge up the count, or using the forum for a chitchat better suited to ICQ or AIM or one of our chat room room we'll ask you to stop. And reset your post counter to -450. Yeah, we're evil like that.
3. Thou Shalt Not Advertise. We do not intend to serve as a linking service or a search engine to other sites. Links that wouldn't be allowed anywhere on the forums (including signatures, and location) would be to links to sites (commercial OR personal) that have:
Pornographic, racist or illegal materials, including game cheats or hacks
b. Profit sites (any get rich quick sites). This is sites that earn the poster a profit/commission or sites that give points for incoming links
c. Sites offering similar or the same content as GWOnline.Net. It has taken many 'man' hours to compile the sites' content and as such our commitment to the promotion of that content is total. Neither do we allow visitors to use our forum membership as a means to build their own sites from, using our Private Messaging system to recruit writers and/or their content or membership drives for their own forums.
d. Sites carrying ad-busting software
4. Thou Shalt Not Post Naughty Links or Graven Images. This is beyond advertising. Do this, you earn a drop kick into the next timezone and an instant account deletion, without a second glance. We all know there are a ton of kids of varying ages and lots of different types of people who play Guild Wars and who visit our site. Even if this wasn't the case, we just don't want porn and other yucky stuff on our boards. No images can be posted. Sorry, you don't get to vote on this one. No way of telling if someone will post up a rude image, or pull from a slow server, causing the pages to load for everyone at the speed of a slug. Better, we think, to just bag the whole idea of images [apart from in the Pal forum]. We graciously give you an Avatar, and that's the limit of your "visual self-expression," as the interior designers, say.
5. Thou Shalt Not Pimp or aid the Pimping of hacks and Cheats. Hacks and Cheats are 3rd party programs that allow you to alter the way a player interacts with a game. We do not support the use of these. You may not ask for help in creating a hack/cheat, a link to where you can find one, provide a link to where people can download one. However, the morality of using these programs is sometimes discussed and we allow these [within reason], unless it violates any other ruleWe do not allow adverts for item and or gold farming or links to sites which engage in this or any of their affiliates.
6. Thou Shalt Not Engage in Unnatural Bumping. We have a "bump up" feature, where the post with the most recent addition goes to the top of the forum listing. If your post is good, it'll be responded to. If it's responded to, it'll undergo the process we call Natural Bumping. Natural Bumping = good. Unnatural bumping = bad. Unnatural Bumping is where someone posts, "I'm adding this to put this thread back at the top." Do it, we slap your hand. Do it often, you pull back a bloody stump.
7. Thou Shalt Not Spoof. Don't make up an account name designed to resemble another poster. If an account is registered that could be confused (unintentionally) for a moderator or admin we reserve the right to offer the member the ability to change the name to something else. We reserve the right to close the account if that offer isn't accepted.If you're banned for some reason, don't keep coming back with "Fred," "Fred the Undead" and "Fred Yet Again." If you were banned, take it like a man… wellll, take it like a reasonable person, and accept your fate. We ban the person not the account so registering under a new nickname will result in that account being banned too.If you wish, you may appeal the account closure to the staff. Oh, and for goodness sake, don't make up additional accounts to respond to yourself. (People who talk to themselves used to be burned at the stake as witches; we still hold to that belief system, here at GWOnline;)
8. Thou Shalt Not Get Territorial. If you post or submit something to our site or forums -- be it an article, a news item, a strategy guide, or a suggestion -- it becomes the property of the GWOnline.Net. That means if we leave it in the forum, post it to our Strategy Compendium or put it into a Hall of Fame or whatever, it is still your work, but we have rights to it as well. If we allow it to be present on the site(s), or use it in any form, you agree that you have no financial claim against the site. We do not demand that items be exclusively ours, but once something it submitted to us for publication or posted in our forums, its removal is entirely at our discretion.
9. Thou Shalt Accept the Admin's Decisions. We [GWOnline.Net and its admins] reserve the right to ban [temporarily or permanently] or place on Probation [limit privileges] any member of GWOnline.Net without warning. We reserve the right to edit, move or remove any post made on GWOnline.Net without warning or explanation. We reserve the right to edit any portion of a member profile without warning. You will accept all this gladly and with open arms because we do it with love.
10. Thou Shalt Not Mention "Freedom of Speech." Or we'll vomit. All over your Courtly Armor, we promise you. This is a private forum, and you are our invited guests. The administrators have a tough job, trying to keep the forums clean and presentable while not willingly stifling open discussion. If a thread or post is locked or deleted, that was the necessary step to take in the judgment of the administrator. Please don't bandy irrelevant constitutional law and hope to plea the case for less "censorship." Don't start a vote, don't throw food, don't throw a hissy fit, don't light up torches and mob our central office. We don't censor, we exercise judgment and quality control on something in which we invest a lot of time and effort. We only accept posts written in English.
Legal Small Print: You useGWOnline.Net and its affiliates in the full knowledge that advertising in the form of banner adverts, pop ups, interstitials and embedded adverts appear on all pages. You agree to not interfere with the display of these adverts through banner blocking software or browser features.
holds no responsibility for contents of posts made by members or off
site websites linked to on these forums. We are not liable for any
damage or distress post contents cause to an individual or their
property. You read these forums and follow offsite links at your
own risk. Recommended age for these
forums is 16.
Anything we didn't say above, we hereby say herein
and henceforth. Verily.
reserve the right to amend these rules at our discretion without
notification. The onus is on the member to periodically
check these rules for changes.
Anything we didn't say above, we hereby say herein and henceforth. Verily. We reserve the right to amend these rules at our discretion without notification. The onus is on the member to periodically check these rules for changes.