PC Gaming News

PvP and character levels

Anyone have any ideas on how the pvp will work with regards to character levels?

Will it be an advantage to level your character as fast as you can etc etc and play pvp after that? or will you be able to log on with a level 1 character and jump right in to the pvp action?

will the pvp arenas have a level requirement or a level cap? to keep everyone say within 5 levels of eachother or something?

will you have to beat a certain pat of the game in order to "activate" pvp options?

I don't play MMORPG's like everquest and wow etc so I don't know how they handle any pk-ing or pvp/teamvteam battles..

I don't know the answer to most of your questions, but it has been said before that winning in PVP is not so much based on your character level, but more on your skills. I even think something as extreme as a skilled player with lvl 1 character could beat a level 15 character, was being said.

Anyway, you don't have to worry about pk'ing, since pvp only happens in specific areas.
    Support this site, donate and Be A Pal. Even if you don't have a credit card it's still possible to get a PayPal account.

I would say players of higher level will still have an advantage, if for nothing else, due to better gear, and higher attributes, etc.

However, in GW more than other games, I bet level matters LESS. You could probably group with players within 8 levels or so, with more basic gear and items, and still hold your own.

A higher level player will have more advantage, but only in 3 areas.

1. Skill points that increase your damage in a certain area (such as all fire spells). These are refundable.
    2. Better equipment from other areas, and perhaps through trading/crafting.
    3. Larger array of spells to choose from.

However, no matter how many different spells a player has, he can only bring 8 of them into any mission or PvP, so a new player could potentially beat a veteran if the veteran played badly and the new player (low level, but not a newbie) knows what he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinhuan
    However, no matter how many different spells a player has, he can only bring 8 of them into any mission or PvP, so a new player could potentially beat a veteran if the veteran played badly and the new player (low level, but not a newbie) knows what he is doing.
    Well in most computer RPGs I've tried players usually don't concentrate on more than 8 skills anyway. In D2 for example most of us maxed 4 or 5 skills and used those, so an 8 skill limit is not that bad.

I think it has more to do with choosing your skills correctly (as you also mention) and of course distributing your attribute points according to the skills you want to use.

Roo - I agree, higher level players will still have an advantage, it's just not as big as in many other games (well, like you actually add afterwards).
    Support this site, donate and Be A Pal. Even if you don't have a credit card it's still possible to get a PayPal account.

The main difference I can see depends on if you gain in life/mana when you level up, like in most RPG's. If you do, a level 1 character won't have a great chance against a level 15 character, simply due to the difference in life. With more skills to choose from, and more gold to buy the nice, but expensive skill gems, a higher level character will likely have advantages. However, the developers have been saying that they are trying to make the PvP combat mostly depend upon skill and not so much on level. Levels and better equipment will give you an edge, but it's likely simply being a higher level and having better equipment won't give you a guaranteed win.
    Guild Wars- Spirits of War