PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

Question about GW!

Hi there,

Well my question is:

Is GW almost the same as a Diablo-like game, but in a new and better look? Or is it more then only another Diablo-like game??

Damocles17

Administrator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts
    It's a step up from the Diablo series. In Diablo you play multiplayer with your buddies and you are in the game only with your buddies. In Guild Wars you enter the game with thousands of other players who can all meet up in . You can then go off adventuring with with whoever you wish into instanced with your group whether it be for co-op missions, PvP style missions or even solo missions.

Because some of the developer have worked on thr Diablo series, they know all about good gameplay and what RPG fans are looking for. The game is fast paced like the Diablo series so if you liked that then you'll love this.

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles17
    Hi there,

Well my question is:

Is GW almost the same as a Diablo-like game, but in a new and better look? Or is it more then only another Diablo-like game??

Damocles17

wonder if this has been answered before...
    i hope it won't take like a week to level up like in other mmorgs, or it'll be faster like D2. So, will it be viable to have more than a couple characters

Quote Originally Posted by Khabarak
    wonder if this has been answered before...
    i hope it won't take like a week to level up like in other mmorgs, or it'll be faster like D2. So, will it be viable to have more than a couple characters
    In the E3 event everybody was locked at level 15, but you still gained experience and new skill points, when you would have gained a level.

I think during the 3 days the E3 lasted I got around 9 or 10 skill points. I don't know whether it will be like that in the final game.

Personally I think it's ok that it's almost impossible to reach the last few levels.
    Support this site, donate and Be A Pal. Even if you don't have a credit card it's still possible to get a PayPal account.

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles17
    Hi there,

Well my question is:

Damocles17
    Hello and welcome! GW is far more than a Diablo-like game, although in some respects, it is similar. In all honesty, I find D2 quite boring and unchallenging in comparison to GW. GW requires a great deal of teamwork and to develop your skills in order to complete missions and play PvP. The focus is more on teamwork and skill for GW rather than having the best equipment on D2. You can run around and bash monsters as you do in D2, however GW also offers PvP where guilds compete against others in tournaments or in small groups of players.

During the E3 event, I saw time and time again groups of people go off to complete a mission and all of them ran up to bash all the monsters. That works well in D2, but doesn't so well in GW. Those missions often failed and it wasn't until the group strategized and worked together that they were able to successfully complete the mission. For me, this made it far more interesting, challenging and entertaining.

Hey and welcome to the forums of GWonline.net! :howdy:

As for your question, Guild Wars is a Diablo-on-steroids. It plays the same (fast pace as Rushster said), it looks very beautiful, you have the chance to play with tens of thousand of players, full character customization, and lots of character combination for the skills.

Wow, I must be the tortoise, it looks as though your question has already been answered. I'll take my crack at it, though :).

I see GW as D2, but also as everything D2 wanted to be but never quite reached. In D2 you have the ability to form a party with friends, in theory to use your combined powers and strategy to overcome Baal and his minions. How often do you truly need anymore than yourself though? The way I see D2, there are two things that will happen once you get to Hell difficulty. The first is you will have all the "godly" items for your specific character, and you'll have a cakewalk over Baal. The second is you have magic or rare items, and as such, you wind up obliterated to a degree that no amount of party strategy and power will save you. I really feel the whole concept of strategy is foreign to D2, but in GW I found quite the opposite. As Chantal said, I watched and participated in many parties that tried to rush through missions like you would in D2, and every one of them failed. If I had to describe my experience with GW thus far in one word, I think challenging would be that word.

D2 also feigned to have a PvP combat system. Again, items almost invaribly seem to be the determining factors here. If you have the latest greatest items for your character, like the coveted BOTD Berserker Axe for your Paladin, then you're set to go; if you don't, forget it, you're more likely to score the lottery than win in a public dueling game. If you happen to face off against some with equally matched items to yours, there's still little skill and strategy to be spoken of. There are so few builds that are truly viable for PvP beyond the cookie-cutter builds that everyone makes, that I find it extremely boring. Many of the people that have played PvP would be considered "skilled" to many players, but I don't feel that's the case. I consider skill in a duel the ability to adapt quickly to a situation, to out-strategize your opponet, and to gain the upperhand through tactics and innovation. Instead, what these "skilled" duelers have done is practiced the movements and actions they will take from the second they leave the town to such a degree that they have become instinctive muscle movements. Again, I feel GW definately picks up the slack in this area. Until I played GW, there wasn't a single game to date that I had truly enjoyed PvP combat in. This changed because the system the game uses forces people to adapt during each new battle, instead of settle into a set routine. The PvP combat, especially when you consider team vs. team combat, is based around tactics and strategy, not having the better items or the better computer so you don't lag. There was one tournament game I was a part of during E3 that lasted 40 minutes long, and it was probably the single most fun I've had computer gaming, ever hands down.

In short GW contains all the fast paced, adrenaline pumping action we've come to love. The gameplay ramps up in difficulty to keep you on the edge of your seat, and PvP combat has now become a field where strategy and tactics rule the day. Finding items is fun, and frequent enough to not drive you crazy, but at the same time doesn't represent something you will be forced to spend 99% of your time on just to be competitive. I had to admit looking back at the graphics of D2, that considering the game was made a good 5+ years ago, they weren't bad; GW improves, on a very large scale, upon them however. The graphics for GW are the best I've seen in any game to date, without a doubt in mind (ok, so perhaps other things make me bias, and truthfully I must admit I haven't kept up with all the recent games). All the professions in GW are fairly well balanced, and each can find its own niche in gameplay among a party. For the social gamer, GW features many chat and communication options improved over the ones we are familiar with in D2, and in addition adds game support for guilds. There are *HUGE* solo areas to be explored, and likely more to be released in future expansions. Leveling is moderately paced (during E3 I "leveled" about 15 times, but I did admittedly play quite a bit) and offers moderate rewards for your trouble. Basically GW has your play style covered, no matter what it is, and all this while eliminating many of the annoyances that plague or beloved games of old, like drop stealing in D2.

Wow, that was long-winded, and quite a rant. I guess you could say, to sum it all up, my response to GW is . I played D2 for oever 3 years all told, and through that time I neber truly got into the gameplay; GW had me hooked after 5 hours during E3.

Hi, new comer here
    Here's 2 off-topic question about GW that I've been wondering:

How many people can be in one game at a time? Is it like Diablo2, where the host makes a game and a maximum of 7 others can join it?

Another thing, can you describe the control scheme of GW? Is it like Diablo2 as well? Meaning...a visible mouse point on screen controls where you go?

GWOnline.Net Member
    The First one I can answer, the second one is from memory so hopefully someone else will answer it.

How many people can be in one game at a time? Is it like Diablo2, where the host makes a game and a maximum of 7 others can join it?
    Everyone is in the same world. There may still be something similar to USEast, West, Europe, etc. Each area is on its own server and can be instantly traveled to. If you want to do one of the Co-op or PvP missions you can instantly go to the "waiting area." Here you form groups and then go do you own "instance" of the mission/even, etc with your teammates. The amount of people in each group for each mission may vary a bit (alpha testers.. help here)

can you describe the control scheme of GW? Is it like Diablo2 as well? Meaning...a visible mouse point on screen controls where you go?
    If I remember right (I have played a lot of games and a few demos since E3)
    the character could be moved around "point-and-click" or "wasd." Selecting an enemy was done using the mouse and to cast spells you either clicked on the taskbar or pressed one of the keys (1-8... I think). Again, as I said before, I'd wait for an alpha tester or someone who remembers the E3 demo better. I have played a variety of games since then so I may be confusing the control scheme up some. I do remember though that it was easy to pick-up and felt fairly intuitive.

Adios and Peace

The amount of people in each group for each mission may vary a bit (alpha testers.. help here)
    As it currently stands we had missions with 4 during E3 and a mission with 8, so it would be safe to say that group sizes will probably vary from mission to mission or area to area.

Krathen is pretty much on the ball with the controls. You can use the mouse or the keyboard as he said, and it's very simple and straight forward.