PC Gaming News

Question about cheating

Since Guild Wars is not asking for a monthly fee, are they still going to be watching the server and preventing and stopping hacks/cheats like other mmorpgs that have a monthly fee?

I'm asking because I don't want this game to turn out like Diablo 2. There were hacks everywhere and blizzard didn't really do much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystik
    Since Guild Wars is not asking for a monthly fee, are they still going to be watching the server and preventing and stopping hacks/cheats like other mmorpgs that have a monthly fee?

I'm asking because I don't want this game to turn out like Diablo 2. There were hacks everywhere and blizzard didn't really do much about it.

Theoretically, the sales of expansions to Guild Wars rely on Arena.net keeping the game clean of cheaters. Theoretically. Blizzard's LOD sold pretty damn well, even though cheating was rampant all over the realms.

Theoretically, anti-cheating updates would be easy to introduce. In theory, and in practice, Blizzard simply applies a server-side patch to fix exploits (If they get around to it). Yet, even with the incentive to keep the game legit, and the "ease" with which it can be done, Diablo 2 is a cesspool for cheaters. Gee, I wonder why... Could it be that Blizzard is utilising their past fame for quick and easy profit?

So, theoretically, Arena.net has an incentive to do it, and a way to do it efficiently. Now, ask yourself: If AN is planning to take little action against cheating, would they really tell you? Hell, no. It would hurt sales.

However, I am placing trust in them. AN have not given me any reason to dump them in along in the category of "incompetent developers". And I hope that I never will.

Like I said in the other post, the streaming technology used in GW will take care of the cheating. They can patch the cheat quickly and without having to release a patch. Also with the game content constantly changing it will make it very difficult, especially for third party programs.

Yahoo! :clap:

That's what I want to hear, I'm sick of the cheaters at D2 (some people got 100 runewords, hmmm how can that be possible? :P, while i only got 5, i guess)

But there is a question i have about the accounts can they be stolen?

The problem does not lie in the technology - such games are relatively easy to patch. The difficult factor is the effort that the developer is willing to put into maintaining the game free of cheats. I have, however, seen no reason to worry about Guild Wars.

A clean slate for a new company is one of the reasons I am so excited about Guild Wars. Blizzard's complete lack of regard for the state of their realms and game turned me away from D2, and probably from any of their future releases. I am hoping that ArenaNet will pick up where many companies leave off in this area and devote the time and effort that is needed to keep the exploits and cheats at bay. So far, seeing their level of dedication to the game, I'd have to say there won't be any problems.

I didn't find too much cheating present in the European realm of d2 (i've seen none after v1.10). Though i did speak to some people who had moved to the European realm because there were too many hackers in the US realms. As for GW, i'm sure AN will fight heavily against any cheaters, since this is their first game and if it's going to be full of hackers then it won't make a very good impression. Even if there are hackers, i'm sure the light will punish them :yep:

Quote Originally Posted by Flax
    I didn't find too much cheating present in the European realm of d2 (i've seen none after v1.10). Though i did speak to some people who had moved to the European realm because there were too many hackers in the US realms. As for GW, i'm sure AN will fight heavily against any cheaters, since this is their first game and if it's going to be full of hackers then it won't make a very good impression. Even if there are hackers, i'm sure the light will punish them :yep:
    Elvis... LIVES?

I agree that the streaming technology and hopefully the expansion money would be a good combo for Arena to stop cheating. I would prefer if they hired a company like Punkbuster to look over the game.

Punkbuster is a company that monitors servers for possible cheats, cracks, etc and then attempts to solve the problem and ban the users that were using the cheat/exploit. Their first game to be hired to (I believe) has been Novalogic's Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising. Hopefully if the game is cheat free and highly successful more companies will hire them or similiar companies.