PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Andvare

GW, is it a RPG?

Is there going to be actually *role*playing in GW?

Or is it going to be yet another, kill, loot, lvl, kill lvl loot, for the only sake of lvl'ing?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I have been disapointed by the severe lack of imagination in MMO's. They are all basicly the same. So what does GW do that is different than other MMO's?

smiley I need a smiley in this post ---> :xirish:
    The most ugly of the selection ;)

GWOnline.Net Member
    Well if nobody role-plays because everyone think nobody else wants to role-play, guess what is gonna happen? It's up to you to show the way or follow.
    The marriage in Tyra was a good step toward role-play

Quote Originally Posted by Andvare

Or is it going to be yet another, kill, loot, lvl, kill lvl loot, for the only sake of lvl'ing?

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I have been disapointed by the severe lack of imagination in MMO's. They are all basicly the same. So what does GW do that is different than other MMO's?

GW has about as much built-in roleplaying...

As Quake 3. Really, ACTUAL role-playing in RPGs? Driven by the design, not by players? Good jest.

From Guild Wars site's FAQ:

What kind of game is Guild Wars?

Guild Wars is a competitive online role-playing game. Players can engage in cooperative group combat, in single player adventures, or in large head-to-head guild battles. Guild Wars is a mission-based game set in a stunning 3D fantasy world that offers full, integrated support for guilds. Because the team that is developing Guild Wars has had experience creating successful online game series such as Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo, the members are familiar with the complex issues surrounding online games, and are creating a game that's both easy to learn and compelling to play long term, and yet doesn’t require players to spend hundreds of hours slogging through the preparation just to get to the fun bits.

Not exactly sure what classifies as role playing and what doesn't but so far things seem to happen like they could in real life.
    The missions also promote this a lot due to the amount of cooperation they require. I find myself constantly suggesting and listening to proposed strategies and battle plans before taking on a tough mob and I don't see how real life would be any different.
    Also the cities right now are filled with beggars which also seems very realistic :P
    The government is trying to take steps to get rid of them...it's almost a real society ;)

Andvare
    Yes, but the game itself can be set-up to support RP or not, and the community can also be more or less RP inclined.
    Anarchy-Online, for example, is not a MMO that is set-up to RP. It don't even have an ICC channel. And story wise, well it's just lacking (Good vs. Evil, more or less classic, not that fitting in a Sci-Fi world). Most of the NPC comunities are just shops.

GW seems to go for PvP all the way, is that a good thing? And if so, how come? (and don't say "because it chalenge you more", because that kind of things useally ends up in "I R0XX0Rs, I OWND U!", sorry, my 1337 speak isn't up to par)
    I'm mainly looking for more info on the game (I have bought it ;)).

well guild wars has a vast and very well designed landscape.. it has its own lore and various missions that will take you from region to region, unfolding an epic storyline(as opposed to a lot of "kill/collect X number of Y" type of missions in a lot of mmorpgs. the instanced areas also allow you to get your RP buddies to play in your own zone without intrusion. (i wish they'd add more NPCs in the zones though, to make them feel more populated)

ultimately though, its up to you to role play...

OKComputer
    Quote Originally Posted by Andvare

I can see your point about the lack of imagination in most MMO's, and I am hoping that this game will not follow the classic kill, lvl, get good kit, lvl some more get better kit format.
    Hopefully the game will allow for people to role play properly, and the PvP aspect will be skill based and not stat based (which has been stressed a lot on the website), so that players who have lives outside of their houses will still be able to play properly.
    Role play is always hard to achieve properly in MMO's because there is no set storyline, and usually you find that the closest people get to RP'ing is either being nice, or being total prats.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNightfall
    GW has about as much built-in roleplaying...

As Quake 3. Really, ACTUAL role-playing in RPGs? Driven by the design, not by players? Good jest.
    Elements of game design can promote RP. Non-instnaced environments for example. There is nothing better than running into someone in the wild and exchanging stories or partying up to go hunt. That won't be possible in GW, but is one example of how game design can promote RP.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OKComputer
    Role play is always hard to achieve properly in MMO's because there is no set storyline, and usually you find that the closest people get to RP'ing is either being nice, or being total prats.
    Ack! The closest is either being nice or a total jerk? I guess I was far off. I was a big RPer in my last game but I had many stories written about my character which shaped how he acted ingame. While he was a "good" character, he didn't hesistate to split someone's skull when necessary...