PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About the requirements for GW..

Hey i play Diablo and CS (tweaked like crap) and i was wondering if you think, with the lowest settings on GW, that i can play GW "alright". My comp: tnt2 vid card, 550 mhz processor, 256 ram. Thanks in advance..i really REALLY wanna play and i'm hoping to pre-order if my comp can handle it :). Also, is there any other way besides low settings to tweak GW.

Copied from Guild Wars website FAQ:
    * Windows® XP/2000/ME/98
    * Intel Pentium® III 800 Mhz or equivalent
    * 256 MB RAM
    * CD-ROM Drive
    * 500 MB Available HDD Space
    * ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX Series Video Card with 32MB of VRAM
    * 16-bit Sound Card
    * Internet connection
    * Keyboard and mouse
    which means that you will need a better cpu and graphics card, sorry

Darn so i can't barely squish by with the lowest settings? Thanks..damn

You are overdue for an upgrade if you wish to play games released since 2004

Yup...can you reccomend any specific comps for gaming? Or is finding the specific parts and putting them together or paying someone to put em together better?

I find that building computers yourself is less expensive. There is a risk in doing so, but if you have a friend who's done it before it shouldn't be too hard. Heck, even I have built a comp.

Only thing about building your own computer is that you can only rely on the parts warranty so if there is anything wrong you have to figure out yourself what is causing it. Also there are some compatibility issues that you may not forsee.
    But it sure cost a lot less, you know you're gonna have good machine and not a crap premade computer with an onboard graphic card :P

For good parts and reviews, look here: http://www.newegg.com/

Thanks, my bro has done that before but i have tried just looking at what a customized 4700 dimension dell would be like. I gave it 2.8 gig processor, decent ATI vid card, the rest was standard or freebiee (512 ram free..catch?). It came out to $700 and that's pretty nice considering i get a whole comp, can upgrade it, free shipping. I did not get a new monitor/speakers though so i could just use my old ones (i don't mind). I might look in to buying it some time. I have just begun to start looking at buying a new comp.

I suggest readin some review sites for pc parts.
    The buying guides on anandtech.com is are quite nice for instance.

Latest entry level guide

Quote Originally Posted by Still-Xey-Lover
    Thanks, my bro has done that before but i have tried just looking at what a customized 4700 dimension dell would be like. I gave it 2.8 gig processor, decent ATI vid card, the rest was standard or freebiee (512 ram free..catch?). It came out to $700 and that's pretty nice considering i get a whole comp, can upgrade it, free shipping. I did not get a new monitor/speakers though so i could just use my old ones (i don't mind). I might look in to buying it some time. I have just begun to start looking at buying a new comp.
    700$ is fair for a 2.8gHz with no monitor, if its a Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon. What ATI card did you pick?