PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

The Deadalus Project

Don't know if you guys and gals have heard about this project before, but I hadn't (prior to reading about in the OT forum... ;) ).

Anyway, I think that the ongoing survey Nick Yee has created concerning how people play MMORPGs is very interesting, as are its results. I also did the Motivations Assessment, just to see how I'd do, as I find this kind of online test immensly fascinating. And my scores were:

Achievement components (overall: 3%)
    Advancement: 2%
    Mechanics: 7%
    Competition: 24%

Social components (overall: 98%)
    Chat: 98%
    Relate: 81%
    Teamwork: 94%

Immersion components (overall: 91%)
    Discovery: 76%
    Role-Playing: 71%
    Customization: 94%
    Escapism: 85%

So, there you have it - the real me :D ! Of course, I don't know if the rest of you agree with these scores, but I for one find them quite accurate. If there is anyone else out there wanting to take this assessment or read about the project etc, here are two links:

Motivations Assessment: http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/001307.php
    Main Page: http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/

And finally, a "challenge" of sorts: Is anyone else in this guild willing to take the assessment and share their results?

Achievement Components (overall 6%)
    Advancement: 7%
    Mechanics: 21%
    Competition: 10%

The Socializing Component (overall 1%)
    Chat: 0%
    Relate: 9%
    Teamwork: 23%

The Immersion Component (overall 14%)
    Discovery: 4%
    Role-Playing: 30%
    Customization: 26%
    Escapism: 59%

Not quite as accurate in my case. The test makes the assumption that people taking it are normal in most ways.

The Achievement Components score seems about right because, I don’t place that great of a value on it. I also don’t have an urge to move quickly in a game and, tend to stop and smell the corpses when I can (so to say).

The Socializing Component is where the score comes out wrong. I lack the typing skills to interact very well in a game and, that affects my pleasure in interacting with other players. I mostly just observe other conversations but, in many games I also have difficulty in seeing the printed text because of poor eyesight. The way I answered some of the questions based upon these facts; made the conclusion from the test somewhat off.

The Immersion Component is fairly close to the mark with one difference. The test indicated that I placed a high value on the visual aspects of the game. I however base most of my actions and, responses on sounds rather than relying on my eyes as the primary source of information.

Good test overall.

Achievement Components (overall 28%)
    Advancement: 34%
    Mechanics: 13%
    Competition: 60%

The Socializing Component (overall 45%)
    Chat: 41%
    Relate: 15%
    Teamwork: 86%

The Immersion Component (overall 9%)
    Discovery: 29%
    Role-Playing: 27%
    Customization: 9%
    Escapism: 7%

If I redo the test, it'll probably be different.

Achievement: 71%
    Advancement: 56%
    Mechanics: 93%
    Competition: 36%

Socializing: 75%
    Chat: 74%
    Relate: 69%
    Teamwork: 62%

Immersion: 66%
    Discovery: 94%
    Role-Playing: 54%
    Customization 53%
    Escapism: 15%

i kinda agree on most points. im not THAT heavily into mechanics though o.o;.

but yah, thats pretty much me... :lol:

Achievement Component: 100%
    Advancement: 100%
    Mechanics: 96%
    Competition: 99%

Socializing Component: 99%
    Chat: 98%
    Relate: 99%
    Teamwork: 62%

Immersion Component: 99%
    Discovery: 96%
    Role-Playing: 97%
    Customization: 80%
    Escapism: 85%

I'd say thats fairly accurate, though the teamwork score seems a little low for my liking. And maybe the mechanics is a little high, i mean i am into them immensley but just not that much :uhhuh:

Raph/Zero

Achievement Component: 82%
    Advancement: 69%
    Mechanics: 75%
    Competition: 89%

Socializing Component: 84%
    Chat: 67%
    Relate: 88%
    Teamwork: 72%

Immersion Component: 94%
    Discovery: 88%
    Role-Playing: 91%
    Customization: 68%
    Escapism: 86%

I had a prof in college that used to split the class into groups based on personality tests, I wonder if you could use this test to create a guild of like minded people... it would be an intresting test into online mentalities...

The Order of Dii Guild Member Clash's Avatar
    Here are my scores:

Achievement: 61%
    -Advancement: 69%
    -Mechanics: 51%
    -Competition: 48%

Socializing: 17%
    -Chat: 21%
    -Relate: 28%
    -Teamwork: 26%

Immersion: 72%
    -Discovery: 69%
    -Role-Playing: 57%
    -Customization: 54%
    -Escapism: 85%

Quote Originally Posted by 1SG Bowie
    Not quite as accurate in my case. The test makes the assumption that people taking it are normal in most ways.
    LOL! No kidding! I'm quite abnormal myself.

Now before anyone gets the idea that I'm a total hermit, let me say that there are two very good reasons why my socializing scores are so low. One, I think my teamwork score is lower that it should be because I feel that every character should be able to solo 90% of a game. My theory is, what good will you be to a team if you can't even survive on your own for a few seconds? (That's why I feel every GW character should at least have one way to heal itself). Two, the only other online RPG I've played is Diablo 2, which I found was not conducive to much in-game chatting. Sure, I did run into a few people that knew how to type and did so, but it was very rare that I found anyone with something more meaningful to say than "Give itam plz." I did eventually join a guild, but even then I did way more communicating in forums outside the game than inside. I still find it hard to type while fighting for my (virtual) life. My relate score is low because I'm not really interested in talking about personal stuff when I'm playing. Imagine that, playing games to have fun!

My mechanics score is right on because I care about the stats only as much as I need to so I can develop a decent character. I could really care less that you can swing a sword .032 seconds faster than an axe. Just tell me it's faster. I don't want to memorize a bunch of arcane formulas; I want to know what's effective and what's not so I can go have fun.

Competition looks right on too. I'm more concerned with my own character's development & achievements, and I'm only interested in competing if I know it'll be a fair fight (something that was hard to come by in D2). On the other hand, I do hate to lose. Thankfully, Guild Wars will offer fair fights, so I look forward to testing what I've learned so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash
    One, I think my teamwork score is lower that it should be because I feel that every character should be able to solo 90% of a game. My theory is, what good will you be to a team if you can't even survive on your own for a few seconds?

A level 20 monk has a hard time killing a level three guy. So the monk is worthless because she cannot solo? Part of a team is everyone. Without a healer, you are dead. Another build I have. My mesmer is pretty weak by himself. But the quickening zephyr I get makes him be able to cast skills faster there for gives him the ability to kill. My other mesmer does not damage in attacks. But he can keep 2 or 3 casters silenced allowing a warrior to get in and kill before a monk can start healing. Three of my four characters completely rely on my team to be playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xircon
    A level 20 monk has a hard time killing a level three guy.
    May be you can heal him to death :D .

Quote Originally Posted by Clash
    ... I feel that every character should be able to solo 90% of a game. My theory is, what good will you be to a team if you can't even survive on your own for a few seconds
    GW is more about team and skills so one has to change the way of thinking about playing the character (i.e. to be complement with others). Even the missions are designed for team effort so I don't think you could do them solo (Probably you could but it won't be easy).

Achievement components: 95%
    Advancement: 90%
    Mechanics: 54%
    Competition: 100%

Social components: 76%
    Chat: 69%
    Relate: 79%
    Teamwork: 59%

Immersion components: 84%
    Discovery: 70%
    Role-Playing: 94%
    Customization: 41%
    Escapism: 83%

I'm a bit scared about that competition result :eek: I think it's because I put something like taunting and such quite high on the enjoyment list (who doesn't enjoy the bragging rights of beating someone good :) ).

I think everything seems quite right except the teamwork bit, seems a little low (though I guess I do enjoy being a one-man-army, an example being rushing in diablo) and the chatting part a little too low too (usually I get caught up chatting to someone and end up getting killed).