PC Gaming News
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Jimbodan
    Guest

    Help with my Mesmer/Necro build

    Ok, I need some help with my current build. My primary is Mesmer and secondarty is Necro. I find this build to be fairly difficult to deal enough damage to survive, ESPECIALLY against mobs. Against 1 or 2 enemies I do ok, but with mobs I'm toast. I'm thinking I'm probably just not using the right skills? I've found about 1 skill from the entire Necro tree so far that I use (Vampiric Gaze). I really need advice on how to make this combo work.

    I'd prefer to use it mainly for PvE to solo right now, but I'd also like some advice for PvP builds (although I realize this changes depending on who I'm fighting)

    I'm currently lvl 13 and just got to Yak's Bend. Right now the skill set I'm using is this: Empathy, Ether Feast, Conjure Phantasm, Shatter Delusions, Vampiric Gaze, Backfire, Mark of Pain, and Energy Burn.

    Basically if I'm fighting melee characters I start with Empathy (Backfire if it's a magic user) then follow it with Energy Burn, then Conjure Phantasm, and then right before Phantasm runs out I use Shatter Delusions. I use Vampiric Gaze and Ether Feast to heal and I've found Mark of Pain to be pretty useless.

    By that point I'm just about out of energy and then I usually go with a combo of Conjure Phantasm and Shatter Delusions until I kill whatever I'm attacking.

    Here's how I have my attribute points right now. I also have all my refund points available and I'm sure I'll have to use a lot of them to fix this build.

    Fast casting - 4
    Illusion Magic- 6
    Domination Magic- 6
    Inspiration Magic- 3
    Blood Magic - 2
    Death Magic- 0
    Curses - 3

    I'd really like advice as to some good skill combo's from the Mesmer and Necro trees to deal some damage, preferably against crowds.

  2. #2
    GWOnline.Net Member s4nder's Avatar
    Posts

    551
    I'm a Me/N aswell and I'd say your attribute points are too spread out for you to get any effective spells later on. I went for domination/inspiration/blood with some points in fast casting. This way I can have decent DoT spells from blood magic and energy stealing/anti-caster skills from the other two. Domination magic also offers spells that deal huge damage (backfire does around 140 at level 14) and drain enemies' mana.

    There is no *right* build, so just test different setups and see what fits you best, attribute refund points are plenty and you will gain them even after level 20. I wouldn't recommend going for 5 different attributes though, with 3-4 you can still have strong spells with a lot of variety. Good luck!

  3. #3
    Jimbodan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by s4nder
    I'm a Me/N aswell and I'd say your attribute points are too spread out for you to get any effective spells later on. I went for domination/inspiration/blood with some points in fast casting. This way I can have decent DoT spells from blood magic and energy stealing/anti-caster skills from the other two. Domination magic also offers spells that deal huge damage (backfire does around 140 at level 14) and drain enemies' mana.

    There is no *right* build, so just test different setups and see what fits you best, attribute refund points are plenty and you will gain them even after level 20. I wouldn't recommend going for 5 different attributes though, with 3-4 you can still have strong spells with a lot of variety. Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice,

    Last night I started experimenting with Siphon Life and Soul Bards, it seems quite effective for dealing with single enemies, but it still doesn't help much with mobs. Which is my characters biggest problem. For single enemies this strategy works well and I can easily take out single enemies. Where I run into big problems though is with mobs, since by the time I cast 3 or 4 spells I'm close to being out of energy and I've only really hurt 1 enemy.

    Any advice on how to handle mobs with this build? Or with Me/N in general?

  4. #4
    GWOnline.Net Member s4nder's Avatar
    Posts

    551
    For mobs I usually use the Domination spell Chaos Storm. It has a fairly large area of effect and deals armor-ignoring damage as well as drains energy. You just have to have someone (like the warrior hench) to hold them in place. Mesmers really aren't meant to deal with mobs imho, that's more of an elementalists' business.

    If you have energy problems then spells like Energy Tap and the Spirit of Failure + Ineptitude combo will resolve them rather effectively. I haven't tried the latter after release but in the betas it was awesome. You basically gain 4 mana whenever the target attacks. I've heard elite skills are difficult to get now though (Ineptitude is elite).

    If you're still in pre-searing then you don't have many options to get someone to tank for you. It'll get easier after you reach post-searing Ascalon where you can hire henchmen and join parties of up to 8 people. Mobs really isn't your thing, mesmers mainly focus on shutting down and dealing huge damage to one enemy, at least I've got that impression after playing them in all the betas.

    I should get my retail key today, what's your ingame name? We could team up some time... a PM would be nice.

  5. #5
    Jimbodan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by s4nder
    For mobs I usually use the Domination spell Chaos Storm. It has a fairly large area of effect and deals armor-ignoring damage as well as drains energy. You just have to have someone (like the warrior hench) to hold them in place. Mesmers really aren't meant to deal with mobs imho, that's more of an elementalists' business.

    If you have energy problems then spells like Energy Tap and the Spirit of Failure + Ineptitude combo will resolve them rather effectively. I haven't tried the latter after release but in the betas it was awesome. You basically gain 4 mana whenever the target attacks. I've heard elite skills are difficult to get now though (Ineptitude is elite).

    If you're still in pre-searing then you don't have many options to get someone to tank for you. It'll get easier after you reach post-searing Ascalon where you can hire henchmen and join parties of up to 8 people. Mobs really isn't your thing, mesmers mainly focus on shutting down and dealing huge damage to one enemy, at least I've got that impression after playing them in all the betas.

    I should get my retail key today, what's your ingame name? We could team up some time... a PM would be nice.


    I tried Chaos Storm earlier and didn't find it's area to be large enough, I think I'll give it another shot though. I don't think I have any of the other 3 skills you mentioned.

    Yeah after more playing I think I've come to realization that I really can't solo with this build and it's really not made for PvE as fast cast really doesn't help me much and I've found the Necro skills to be useless. I should be able to tweak this build a little and it should be good for PvP though.

    Still this build does well in groups and can really do some damage to single enemies.

    I'll shoot you a PM later on with my in game info

  6. #6
    here's a way to make yourself easily solo-able in PvE with a Me/N ... concentrate on Illusion with a minor in Blood .. a nice 3rd is Inspiration (for the heal from Ether Feast), but not at the expense of the other two.

    2 skills you get early on are Conjure Phantasm and Life Siphon .. this is a good time to practice the basics of the plan .. lay Siphon then Phantasm on your first target .. to build a nice regen pool, then use Siphon on at least 2 others in between switching back to your primary target to continue to damage with auto-attack and recast Phantasm. Augment any excessive damage by using Ether Feast. Sounds like a lot of energy use, but trust me, it works quite well with practice.

    If you anticipate heavy damage, use Blood Renewal right away and open with Ether Feast to get back to full, then proceed as normal. This will give you a spike of healing a little into the battle and negate the need for using Ether Feast right away, plus give you a head start on your regen while you set your own up.

    A little later, you get Phantom Pain .. with all the points you should have in Illusion, the degen from this will be 3 plus it is followed by a Deep Wound. This brings you to max degen ability (5 from Phantasm, 2 from Siphon and 3 from P-Pain). You can continue to use the earlier strategy to suck one target dry while using the rest to keep you afloat.

    You can get Fragility at Yak's Bend, but it doesn't become useful for soloing until you can get your hands on some Condition-causing curses .. it is real nice to use with sword or axe warrior teammates though .. the following is a decent stategy to deal with single targets:
    1) Phantom Pain
    2) Life Siphon
    3) ConjurePhantasm
    (here you either wait a moment, cast a 2nd Siphon if under attack, use Energy Tap to get back a little energy, or proceed to next step right away to squeeze in the most Enfeebles, the last of which I find unnecessary for the most part)
    4) Fragility
    5) Enfeeble
    This combo will net 100+ spike damage in addition to the ongoing 10 degen (if you time it well, this places the Frag hit of both Conditions at about the same instant). Using this method, I can often take out a second target while the rest of my team concentrates on the first one.

    It's not real wise to use though if you're getting nailed by a large group, as it will pretty much suck you dry of energy. For those situations I usually use Fragility (with condition warriors, otherwise a second degen) and Phantasm on the PT's target and then start softening up the rest as I can. If I'm not being hit, then I choose Phantom Pain over Conjure Phantasm since it's one more point of degen and has that added Deep Wound clause at the end.

    Hope this helped the OP, and anyone else who's thinking of trying the Me/N combo but are afraid of viability

  7. #7
    trickzter
    Guest
    hello, i got guildwars yesterday and likewise, im a mesmer/necro and i need to know how to set my attribute points. i have mine in fast casting, blood magic, and illusion magic but i'd like some other opinions on what u guys have done. Also, i have the same problems talked about in this post.

    And, what weapons are u guys using as a mes/necro? if u guys could give me any advice on this, it would be a lot of help. (your previous posts are some help and give me some guidelines.

  8. #8
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    127
    after being in the same position i decided to change my build from a Mes/Nec to a Nec/Mes for 2 reasons: a) fastcasing isnt any good in PvE but soul ripping is... and b) nec have better defense than Mesmers.

    i decided to go for only 3 atributes all high level: 10 SoulR, 10 BloodM, 11 DomM

    the domination gives me high dmg spells to killl as fast as posible so i can recover the energy by the soul ripping. And the blood helps me to stay with plenty life.

    and theres nothin to do against a mob... except having ur own mob with the death magic. get some skills in the death magic and u may have someone to give u some time.

  9. #9
    GWOnline.Net Member Tsume's Avatar
    Posts

    2,133
    Hmmm. Well you say your having problems surviving in pre searing.

    I dont know to tell you the truth, my mesmers dont really have any problem soloing the areas.

    I think perhaps you are just pulling too many enemies at once. I ran a Me/N through, and used mainly Mesmer skills. Domination and Illusion at a good lvl for Pre Searing, with any left over in Inspiration for Ether Feast. I used Life Siphon periodically at just base levels in pre searing.

    I'm not sure if I got Parasitic Bond before or after Searing, but it ended up being the only Necro skill took along (5 energy quick recharge, base 28 health after 20 seconds or upon creature death). I would start the battles by spamming Parasitic Bond atleast 3 times, with a few seconds inbetween each, sometimes a spell like Conjure or Empathy inbetween each, and then I would just tear into a target.

    In post searing, you just wait for the creatures to cast around, then let rip a Chaos Storm and your other skills. Bond will kick in and heal you along the way, and use Ether Feast at discretion.

    I didnt really have any problems soloing all of pre searing, and with henchies throughought post searing. Mission areas are allways players though.

    If your really worried about survivability, you have to go Blood Magic. Blood Magic screams 'pair me with Illusion Magic', and that nice Degen lump is great together. Domination can also be very useful though for bursts of damage.

    Most of all, dont invest in Fast Casting early on. In the early stages of the game its not of extreme usefuleness.

  10. #10
    Jimbodan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsume
    Hmmm. Well you say your having problems surviving in pre searing.

    I dont know to tell you the truth, my mesmers dont really have any problem soloing the areas.

    I think perhaps you are just pulling too many enemies at once. I ran a Me/N through, and used mainly Mesmer skills. Domination and Illusion at a good lvl for Pre Searing, with any left over in Inspiration for Ether Feast. I used Life Siphon periodically at just base levels in pre searing.

    I'm not sure if I got Parasitic Bond before or after Searing, but it ended up being the only Necro skill took along (5 energy quick recharge, base 28 health after 20 seconds or upon creature death). I would start the battles by spamming Parasitic Bond atleast 3 times, with a few seconds inbetween each, sometimes a spell like Conjure or Empathy inbetween each, and then I would just tear into a target.

    In post searing, you just wait for the creatures to cast around, then let rip a Chaos Storm and your other skills. Bond will kick in and heal you along the way, and use Ether Feast at discretion.

    I didnt really have any problems soloing all of pre searing, and with henchies throughought post searing. Mission areas are allways players though.

    If your really worried about survivability, you have to go Blood Magic. Blood Magic screams 'pair me with Illusion Magic', and that nice Degen lump is great together. Domination can also be very useful though for bursts of damage.

    Most of all, dont invest in Fast Casting early on. In the early stages of the game its not of extreme usefuleness.

    I'm definately not in Pre-searing. In my post I mentioned I was in Yak's Bend.

    Anyways, thanks for the advice. I think I've come to the conclusion I can't really solo I have to just stick to playing in groups. Also I realized it's a big mistake to pick a Mesmer as a primary for PvE. fast cast is pretty much useless in PvE. I think I'll probably just use this build for PvP once I hit lvl 20 and stick to interupting other spell casters.

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off