PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

Question best profession/build FOR SOLOING

hey, i've already poked my head in the newcomer thread and asked how difficult it is to solo in GW (thanks to those who answered btw), so now i'm asking what build would give me the best chances of doing well on my own.

i should stress that i haven't played the game yet at all, and i'm just trying to get some background on whether or not i'd like it (because my strong preference is to solo, and obviously if that's very difficult in this game then maybe it's not the game for me).

having had a VERY brief look at the available professions, my instinct would be to go with some kind of build that's capable of healing itself. also, i like ranged attacks, so i'm thinking ranger/monk? elementalist/monk? does this make sense?

also, i'm curious about how one goes about healing one's char -- monks supposedly have the ability to heal by magic, but are there healing items that you can buy or find, that can be used by any character? potting would be a lovely thing to be able to do, so i'm not dependent on anyone else.

edit: i should add: PvE is my priority. :)
    Last edited by goatsong; 07-05-2005 at 08:42.

GWOnline.Net Member
    This game is very easy to solo except in a few rare parts that require party members. Best class for solo? No idea. But right now I'm playing a Warrior/Elementalist and it kicks ***. All the punch of a warrior, with the supporting AoE of an elementalist.

You might want to try a Warrior/monk. I have a ranger monk and it really didnt do well until I switched from healing prayers over to smiting and basically just using rez on my party members.

GWOnline.Net Member
    You don't need healing potions and stuff, somehow every class has a way of healing themselves.. Those skills will be one of the first few skills you pick up, don't worry.

I have a ranger mesmer now, having a pet along can work.. You have a pet to tank and deal some additional damage even if you haven't invested much into beast mastery.. Only thing is that you might not have much skill space left over after having charm animal on along with comfort animal.. Unless you bring the AI healer henchman along, cause I count that as soloing. :P

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saelis
    every class has a way of healing themselves..
    really? it can't be very effective or fast, otherwise what would be the point of a support-type class like monks?

Quote Originally Posted by dougolasjr
    I have a ranger monk and it really didnt do well until I switched from healing prayers over to smiting and basically just using rez on my party members.
    okay, you're confusing me. if i'm able to do what i want to do, i won't have party members. that's why i'm asking about soloing.

what do you mean by 'didn't do well', though? weak damage? fragile? did melee work out better for you than hit-and-run?

i would say warrior/monk is the best at soloing. They have the best armor, which is extremely important when you are swarmed by a group. They also do decent damage and can easily heal themselves with mending or live viscariously.

During the betas I played warrior/elementalist, but since the release I've been playing warrior/ranger. I have been soloing so far. The second one has the advantage of the pet, which can be useful, but I think the first one was better. For me anyway. Although I do like the second and have not had any problems soloing, I found the first one to be more of an all around character, better ability to heal himself, and better offensive firepower. A magic caster's area attacks can be quite useful when soloing. In fact I am starting a new character today based on the one I built up in the betas.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pariah
    During the betas I played warrior/elementalist, but since the release I've been playing warrior/ranger. I have been soloing so far. The second one has the advantage of the pet, which can be useful, but I think the first one was better. For me anyway. Although I do like the second and have not had any problems soloing, I found the first one to be more of an all around character, better ability to heal himself, and better offensive firepower. A magic caster's area attacks can be quite useful when soloing. In fact I am starting a new character today based on the one I built up in the betas.
    oh, w/r is also something i have been thinking of! apart from soloing, i'd also love to have a bow, but i'm easy about what other profession to combine ranger with.

i just have one question re: w/r -- are the healing abilities innate to the warrior/ranger professions sufficient for healing yourself? like, for soloing, is there any real need to tack a monk subclass on if all i want to do is heal myself?

I've heard necros with minion armies can solo quite well too. I haven't tried the build yet but they sure kick *** in pve missions.

I have a Monk/Necro that is great. You kill things with your necro spells and attack with smiting spells. The minions run around and kill everything. Its real fun and Ive had 6 minions at once with it.