PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Mesmer/Warrior IW succesfull build tips

Hi all.

I felt I had to share my build which I find quite succesfull.

I've heard alot of people saying that IW (Illusianary Weaponry) is'nt at all good after BWE where the skill Hundreds Blade was made Elite meaning you cant use it with IW (also elite).
    While I agree that it's a major blow to the build it can still be quite good.

Now before you ask I wont explain what IW does (I'm sure Tsume will be helpfull with that one ^^ ) but instead give you some tips on skills that I use for both PvP and PvE.

The attribute I've setup looks like this:

Fast Casting: atm +4
    Illusion Magic: +15 (11+1+2+1)
    Swordmanship: +2
    Tactics: +10

This skills I find usefull for both PvP and PvE are:

Illusionary Weaponry [E]
    Conjure Phantasm
    Distortion
    Healing Signet
    Hamstring
    Flurry
    Sprint
    Resurrection Signet

I'll explain my use of skills:

IE for the obvious reasons.

Now in PvP you basicly want to target monks and the likes. They will run guaranteed thats where Hamstring comes into play. The few points (+2 swordsmanship) adds another 2 secs where they will be crippled for you to hit.

Flurry is to gain as much speed as possible since thats what you want for max DPS.

Healing signet is your main healing ability should you need it. Thats where Distortion comes into play. When you use Healing Signet you take double dmg. Using Distortion and then Healing Signet right away and you'll be able to heal without taking dmg in alot of cases.

You can play around with the skills ofcourse.

Some might argue that using Sprint and Hamsting is overdoing it and you could take out Sprint forexample and put in Leech signet.

Another skill that is usefull instead of forinstance Conjure Phantasm is Arcane Conundrum. I prefer Conjure Phantasm bcus it will in most cases have the healer in panic at low health. Also the 10 sec down-period is good to make use of Phantasm.

Always keep in mind not to overdue Energi use with Conjure Phantasm as you'll always want to have +15 Energy for IW. I havent really had problems with Energy management even when tapping Flurry when needed.

Using this setup I've been having fun most of all hunting spellers preferably monks.

Anyway thats my 2 cents. By all means critize or add some more pointers :)

A few facts:

You get IW [E] from the boss rihght before The Seer in Iron Mines of Muladune (co-op mission) using Signet of Capture. Its one of the first skills he uses and he wont use it again so be ready for it.

Use swords because of the fastest attack speed.
    Last edited by psibim; 09-05-2005 at 07:30.

From the way you speak on it, I'm gathering your useing both Sprint and Hamstring mainly to keep up with and damage targets. If thats the case I think you should sacrifice both skills (really arnt getting awesome use out of sprint since its tied to Strength, nor decent use from Hamstring) and instead of spending energy on those, just sub in Imagined Burden, or if you chose Ethereal Burden.

This would free up another slot and you could put something useful, like a self enchantment to layer ontop of IW, such as Sympathetic Visage, which not so coincidentaly is an excellent anti Warrior skill. Many a Warrior I have slain due to that skill. If they cant gain the Adrenaline for their hard hitting skills, you simple out power them. One on one you will mow through adrenaline dependant warriors who keep assaulting you while you are enchanted with Sympathetic Visage. Otherwise, it can buy your enchantment extra time when dealing with a team that strips you. If your team has an enchantment to spare, throwing them on the IW wouldnt hurt either.

Flurry ofcourse is a necesity.

You also mentioned subbing out for Arcane Conundrum, but I wouldn't recomend that. The most use you will get out of it is from the caster standing still while casting, but most would probably end up running anyhow. Just keep a nice slowing skill on the target. (I really advocate getting rid of the Sprint + Hamstring combo....just not enough effect from them with the skill set up, as opposed to the Mesmer slowing spell) Though the downside to carrying the Mesmer spell is that you have to be stationary to cast it, which costs you just a few seconds.

Anyhow I would keep Conjure on, for my IW it was a nice finisher as targets would usually start running with a smigen of health and if I couldnt catch up Conjure usually either finished em or forced em to self heal allowing me to catch up. I see Res signet as something not always necceasry, so if you ever do sub in something, Phantom Pain is always nice.

I did/am thinking about Imagine Burden. Reason why I hesitate is bcus of the high energy cost it involves.
    I'll play around with it abit to see if I can keep management down.

Quote Originally Posted by psibim
    I did/am thinking about Imagine Burden. Reason why I hesitate is bcus of the high energy cost it involves.
    I'll play around with it abit to see if I can keep management down.
    Well I mentioned it becuase if you think about it...Hamstring is 10 energy and Sprint is 5, and neither one is as effective, heck comibined and doubled they wouldnt be as effective as one batch of the slowing spell.

You may get away with just useing Sprint though. It has a fair 8 seconds for that low cost.

Yeah you're right. A bit of a dilemma what to use tbh :)

Team Bring It
    Tsume,

Could you post a layout Like the first poster did?

Like to see how you had it worked out.

Thanks,

Nick

Though it all sounds like a lot of fun, Illusionary Weaponry builds simply don't work in PvP. No offense but it's true.
    Reason for this is the downright abysmal 40 second recharge time and the fact that any skilled enemy team will cast a destroy enchantment spell on you within the first 5 seconds after you've cast it.
    After that they'll not only know to keep an eye on you, they'll also make sure to have an enchantment killing spell ready at least every 40 seconds, which completely destroys your damage output.
    I came up with a Ranger/Mesmer Illusionary weaponry build that functioned roughly the same way (except that I had a lot of points in beast mastery for Tiger's Fury and the pet for extra damage output) and still faced the exact same problem. If Illusionary Weaponry is taken off you simply can't show yourself in melee combat anymore because you're too fragile and don't do enough damage.
    Illusionary Weaponry is a great and fun skill but unfortunately just not viable in PvP combat.

Team Bring It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarew
    Though it all sounds like a lot of fun, Illusionary Weaponry builds simply don't work in PvP. No offense but it's true.
    Reason for this is the downright abysmal 40 second recharge time and the fact that any skilled enemy team will cast a destroy enchantment spell on you within the first 5 seconds after you've cast it.
    After that they'll not only know to keep an eye on you, they'll also make sure to have an enchantment killing spell ready at least every 40 seconds, which completely destroys your damage output.
    I came up with a Ranger/Mesmer Illusionary weaponry build that functioned roughly the same way (except that I had a lot of points in beast mastery for Tiger's Fury and the pet for extra damage output) and still faced the exact same problem. If Illusionary Weaponry is taken off you simply can't show yourself in melee combat anymore because you're too fragile and don't do enough damage.
    Illusionary Weaponry is a great and fun skill but unfortunately just not viable in PvP combat.
    Than would would be the proper build with Mes/ Warrior?

Sure Team,
    though I only suggested some possible variations for psibim, so all credit for his build goes to him.

Fast Casting: atm +4
    Illusion Magic: +15 (11+1+2+1)
    Tactics: +10

Illusionary Weaponry [E]
    Conjure Phantasm
    Distortion
    Healing Signet
    Sympathetic Visage
    Flurry
    Imagined Burden/Ethereal Burden (Sprint is still a possibility)
    Resurrection Signet/Phantom Pain

I replaced Hamstring with Sympathtic Visage and dropped the Swordsmanship attribute branch. Put those few points into whatever relevant place they will fit. I kept Sprint as a posibility but listed Imagined and Ethereal Burden as more useful alternatives.
    I also mentioned previously that if any other hex should be subbed in, that Phantom Pain could be really useful. Haveing a nice Deep Wound on a target is useful for a lot of mellee builds, and the IW is no different.

Thats the sum of my suggestions for psibim's build.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Bring It
    Than would would be the proper build with Mes/ Warrior?
    There is really no "proper" build since there are so many combinations you can make with it.

Degen Mes/War --> Conjure Phantasm + Phantom Pain + Sever artery (10 pips degen)
    Retribution Mes/War --> Empathy
    Disabler Mes/War --> Signet of humility + Sympathetic Visage

and more that I haven't found.