PC Gaming News

Can a Meser Solo?

I started a new Meser and am finding her not to be as 'strong' against mobs as my Ranger or Necro.

Is it possible to make a Meser/Something be played Solo?

Or what am I doing wrong that she isn't as Well Rounded as the other classes/professions?

She is only level 3 so she is Very Young :p So I don't have alot of the spells or the points into the different areas as I will have.

I like to solo as it fits my play Time and style better and wonder if I should continue with her or reroll?

Any suggestions or tips etc would be greatly appreciated!

Once you hit 20th and get the better armors, you can pretty much solo in a few choice areas I feel. I usually hit sanctum cay since drakes and bog skales are pretty easy, and you still get a little xp off em since they're lvl 18 respectively.

Mainly though, you either need a way to avoid a lot of the damage, and heal yourself without interrupting damage. I.e. mesmer/monk is pretty popular in this regard with protection buffs (or healing hands), etc. The damage output with the mesmer is a little low, but between channeling/healing hands/balt's spirit, you should have near infinite energy to nuke with whatever, chaos storm, empathy, backfire, energy denial skills, etc. Since you're in melee range.

Just remember that you need to stack your damage stuff pretty fast on the mobs while your healing or protection spells are up, otherwise, it'll just be you standing there trying to heal fast enough to not die which defeats the purpose of soloing.

Edit to add: It is very valuable to group in general though, even a pair of people can usually do farming more effectively. Faster kill rate, one target tanks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Hawking
    Once you hit 20th and get the better armors, you can pretty much solo in a few choice areas I feel. I usually hit sanctum cay since drakes and bog skales are pretty easy, and you still get a little xp off em since they're lvl 18 respectively.

Mainly though, you either need a way to avoid a lot of the damage, and heal yourself without interrupting damage. I.e. mesmer/monk is pretty popular in this regard with protection buffs (or healing hands), etc. The damage output with the mesmer is a little low, but between channeling/healing hands/balt's spirit, you should have near infinite energy to nuke with whatever, chaos storm, empathy, backfire, energy denial skills, etc. Since you're in melee range.

Just remember that you need to stack your damage stuff pretty fast on the mobs while your healing or protection spells are up, otherwise, it'll just be you standing there trying to heal fast enough to not die which defeats the purpose of soloing.

Edit to add: It is very valuable to group in general though, even a pair of people can usually do farming more effectively. Faster kill rate, one target tanks, etc.
    Stephen - Thank you so much for the info. I think I will reroll this character as I do pretty much solo.

I was going to try the Elem - but I Hate the Female Armor :p

GWOnline.Net Member
    As a Mesmer/Monk, I soloed to 9 or 10 quite easily. For damage-dealing spells, I used Empathy (target takes damage whenever they attack) and Conjure Phantasm (-3 health regen). I found that when a monster was mostly dead (10%-20% life left), I could start on my next monster because he would finish himself off thanks to Empathy.

For healing, I'd use Healing winds (+4 health regen) before a fight and Ether Feast (convert a monster's mana to 40 HPs for me) during it.

I found I got better damage by using a sword instead of a wand. The best wand I had for a long time was 3-5 Chaos damage. My sword was 7-12.

Also, get as much +Energy Regen gear as you can get to make sure you can cast whenever you need to.

As far as presearing and the early post searing is concerned, you can solo easily. But later in the game you will inevitably have to group up with people to get through the tougher areas.

As for what Steven said, due to the combat structure of Guild Wars, soloing in lower level areas once you are at your peak is very doable.

Truely though, your probably going to have to team up sooner or later, especially if you go with the caster professions, due to their armor ratings.

You can actually solo longer with Mesmers than with pretty much every other class safe for Rangers probably.
    Doing this past the Pre-Searing area requires a LOT of practice though (I've been trying it quite a lot and am still only learning the basics really :) )
    You do need an allround Mesmer for this and you most likely need all 3 skill "trees" (or a line from a different class that does roughly the same thing).

Basically, you have to keep this in mind:

Domination = anti-caster
    Illusion = anti-warrior
    Inspiration = healing/protection

When soloing especially the Illusion Magic is important in the beginning and you're going to be using Imagined Burden (or a similar slow spell) a LOT.
    You'll at most want to pull one or maybe two enemies at the same time while you want the rest to run back or stay behind.
    You obviously need a lot of patience and you're going to be doing a lot of running but if you become good at taking on one target at a time, you can solo a lot further with a Mesmer than with a Warrior or Elementalist for example.