PC Gaming News

Versatile Mesmer

Hello all. I am a new player and interested in the Mesmer. Been reading through many of these posts and I've seen that Mesmers are very versatile.

A question: Does the Mesmer as a primary have all the tools needed to shutdown any class (if equipped for it)? Is this true, more or less? If the primaries of a Mesmer can be tailored to destroy a Warrior, or a Healer, or a Caster, what should I look at when choosing a secondary profession?

I was considering Monk (Smiting) to further put a damper on enemy Healers (with Scourge Healing) and increase my survivability somewhat.

Necromancers are good complements for Mesmers (or so I've heard).They call this build the defiler build. I am actually going to try a Mesmer/Ele. Monks are good overall secondary class.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayblah
    Hello all. I am a new player and interested in the Mesmer. Been reading through many of these posts and I've seen that Mesmers are very versatile.

A question: Does the Mesmer as a primary have all the tools needed to shutdown any class (if equipped for it)? Is this true, more or less? If the primaries of a Mesmer can be tailored to destroy a Warrior, or a Healer, or a Caster, what should I look at when choosing a secondary profession?

I was considering Monk (Smiting) to further put a damper on enemy Healers (with Scourge Healing) and increase my survivability somewhat.
    Smiting skills can be very powerful. You could use them as a source of damage and your Mesmer abilities as a source of subversion. If you chose to level Healing Prayers as well (for survivability you said) you may end up wanting to go Monk primary to put your spare points in Divine Favor instead of Fast Casting.

Yes the Mesmer skills are capable of countering many different builds both mellee and magical as well as ranged missle utilizing builds.

When you chose your secondary profession look at what you want to do with the character. If you simply want to shutdown a spell caster look for skills that will help keep the targets energy down, or serve to keep its spell casting to a minmum. You pointed out Scourge Healing as one for anti healing, if you wanted to hinder their energy the Necro has Wither and Malaise that serve that purpose.

If you want to augment your build with damage look more towards the Elementalist, Ranger or if you want to go mellee, Warrior profession. Though by no means are these professions allways under these same roles when used as a secondary to the Mesmer. You can do whatever you want with any of them, a Me/W doesnt have to be mellee, and a Me/R doesnt have to use bow skills.

Just look at what you wanna do with the character and what you think would be fun, and then chose a profession that has some strength in that area or use in that area and try it out.

The mesmer as a primary does indeed have the power to shut down any type of class effectively (safe for possibly Rangers which are very tricky and a lot like Mesmers themselves except for the fact that they use arrows instead of spells). Not the first time I've posted this but in general, the following is true:

Domination = anti-caster
    Illusion = anti-warrior
    Inspirating = healing (of both energy and health)/protection

For a lot of builds, Necromancers do indeed complement Mesmers very well because of their ability to give a little more focus to the character.
    They have more direct damage spells for instance, supplementory hexes, good self-healing (life stealing) spells and additional debuffing spells all of which can be used to make a focused character build more effective.
    If you want to keep your Mesmer versatile and capable of dealing with anything (though not as well focused in killing either casters or warriors), keeping the character a pure mesmer (and using all 3 skill trees) is an excellent option and one which I have found very effective.