PC Gaming News

Question - Salvaging Rune From Descriptive vs. Non-Descriptive Loot

I have some purple and gold loot. Some of it is "descriptive" (like "wand of enchanting" or "hammer of vigor"). Some of it is "non-descriptive" (like "sword", "scroll").

I know that if I use expert salvage kit on the descriptive purple/gold loot that I have a decent chance of extracting a rune.

But if I use the expert salvage kit on the non-descriptive purple/gold loot, do I have any possibility of extracting a rune?

Thx.
    Last edited by Jonaku; 11-05-2005 at 18:16.

Runes come from salvage items.
    Weapon upgrades come from weapons.

Some people have claimed to find runes or weapon upgrades from nondescript items, though it hasn't happened for me yet.

I have gotten staff upgrades from nondescript staves before, but, it had the modifier listed. Also, I would say that if you're finding stuff around Ascalon, you have absolutely no chance of getting anything beyond crafting materials from nondescript items.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

I had this happen once: I found a Char Shaman Garb (or something like that) that I salvaged with an expert kit, just hoping to get some linen. The item was nothing special, no purple or blue or yellow color. BUT, when I salvaged it, I got a blue unidentified rune. When I IDed the rune, it was a Rune of minor Hammer mastery :happy34:

The discriptor indicates what components are in the item. For example, an Insightful Staff has a +energy staff head in it. Any mods on the item that cannot be linked to a salvagable component are part of the item and cannot be salvaged, such as the mod "+% damage while enchanted."

During the beta, I expert salvaged a white item for a rune, but since release I have expert salvaged literally hundreds of such items and gotten no runes. This isn't to say that it can't happen, however, I haven't seen it happen yet, and would not be surprised to find it was a bug.

I have recently decided to expert salvage everything I intend to salvage. It just seems to make sense, and the rarer crafting items sell for more anyway. I am about 1 in 4 of getting a decent salvage, no runes yet though.

Taran

Quote Originally Posted by Akfeka
    The discriptor indicates what components are in the item. For example, an Insightful Staff has a +energy staff head in it. Any mods on the item that cannot be linked to a salvagable component are part of the item and cannot be salvaged, such as the mod "+% damage while enchanted."

During the beta, I expert salvaged a white item for a rune, but since release I have expert salvaged literally hundreds of such items and gotten no runes. This isn't to say that it can't happen, however, I haven't seen it happen yet, and would not be surprised to find it was a bug.
    Here is a concrete example of non-descriptive loot I have:

I have a "scroll" (gold) with Energy +11 and Armor +7 while hexed. Are people saying that if I expert salvage this, I will not get a rune, but if I am lucky, I will maybe get a staff wrapping?

What do people think I should do? Should I salvage it? Or sell it? I would not want to use this since I have a blue artifice with +5 armor, +10 energy while enchanted and +20 health while enchanted. (if I am remembering the stats correctly).

even if you expert salvage these descriptive items youre not guaranteed an upgrade component and could just get wood planks or cloth from them..

but you will permanently unlock the upgrade for any pvp toon you make.

if you have no use for the upgrade component it stays in your pvp options if you sell or salvage...from experience though only 1 in 3 descriptive items will actually give you a rune pommel or anything like that.

generally its better to sell not salvage with these things

Quote Originally Posted by Jonaku
    Here is a concrete example of non-descriptive loot I have:

I have a "scroll" (gold) with Energy +11 and Armor +7 while hexed. Are people saying that if I expert salvage this, I will not get a rune, but if I am lucky, I will maybe get a staff wrapping?

What do people think I should do? Should I salvage it? Or sell it? I would not want to use this since I have a blue artifice with +5 armor, +10 energy while enchanted and +20 health while enchanted. (if I am remembering the stats correctly).
    That isn't non-desciptive loot. I'm pretty sure the original poster was talking about items that are known to have mods (blue/yellow/purple) but that have not been identified yet with an ID kit.

If you salvage it, you will CERTAINLY not get a rune of a staff wrapping. Where would they come from? Runes are found on armors, staff wrappings are found on staves. You only get the upgrades from the appropriate item types.

I'm going to assume all items have been identified, and will say purple seems to run the highest chance of being non-descriptive. As far as I've seen, you're not going to salvage anything other than what you could get from a white item if it's non-descriptive.