PC Gaming News
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Graphics card issues

    First, please let me go crazy in frustration. This is not directed at you in any way! :)

    STUPID GAMING SUPPORT TEAMS. IN MY 8 YEARS OF GAMING, I HAVE SEND OVER 10 SUPPORT TICKETS AND NONE OF THEM HAVE EVER SOLUTED A PROBLEM. ALWAYS THE FORUMS BEING ABLE TO.

    - Which is why I post it here! :)


    Well, this is the bug I want to have solution to. As you can see, that pretty much ruins the majestetic feel of this entire game. It usually happens when I turn around quickly or in over-populated areas. I suspected it to be my graphics card overloading. Something that later seemed not to be true, so I just turned them up again. But I am always having 60FPS.

    But yeah, when I gone off to get my screenshot from the folder, I had some fun to get past first. Apparently, it can't even take a screenshot without going crazy. This is what I found: (The screenshot above was inserted in paint)


    And, I am pretty much struck here. Anybody able to help me out? I'd appreciate that! :clap:

  2. #2
    Eric1987
    Guest
    I'd say get new graphics drivers...

  3. #3
    I did that about a month ago. (in relation to another game) There was a new driver, but it didn't solve my problem with that game either. Anyway, I have the newest driver already. I am using a SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 PRO graphics card. The most funny thing here is, that there are advertisements on GameSpot that shows, that exactly this series of graphics cards should be especially good to play Guild Wars with! :confused:

    Finally, the support team has sent me another response, and this time it was quick, so I was just being overly happy! :)

    They tell me to take my virtual memory to the twice. I'll going to call my father now, since he's an expert in what happens if you do things you shouldn't have done. For example putting an unsupported CPU in your mainboard (becouse it's too fast) will cause a quick death to the computer.

    Thanks for your time anyway! :)

  4. #4

    Exclamation tech support to the rescue

    Ok.. I am more than willing to help you out here, but i need more info.

    1) has it done this since install?

    2) what kind of operating temp is the system in?

    3) what motherboard are you using?

    4) what in-game settings are you using?

    5) how hot is the GPU to the touch? (warm, hot, very hot, burn-your-skin-hot)

  5. #5
    Thanks. By doing as this support team told me to, it problem has slightly decreased. Though it's still there. Although it's more than rare now, fortunetly.

    1) It only does so on Guild Wars, and it have always done it. But not on any other game.

    2) Sorry, I don't know what you mean.

    3) Haha... quite frantically, I got no idea whatsoever. All I know is that it's a relatively old on. It cannot support this new generation of graphic cards and can maximum take 2.4GHZ processor and 1024megabytes of DDR memory.

    4) 1280x1024 with everything set to the highest possible. However, setting the graphics down avail me nothing.

    5) It's cold. If you mean the computer itself when you just touch it outside, it's totally cold. As for CD's when they get out, mildly warm. But not warmer than that it feels like a pleasure to touch the CD/DVD. The processor runs with 133Hz, becouse that's what it's meant to if it has to run at full strength. At 100Hz it only runs with 1.8GHZ. But it's not overclocking, since the comuter can run finely in a week without even starting to become hot when you touch it. (although when my previous "blower" went to smitherens, it took like 30 minuttes before there was a bad smell of burning PC. I saved it by turning it off though! :P )

    But really, it's not that neccecary that I recieve help any longer. In still happens, but it's just so increasingly rare. In fact, I have only experienced once the past days. That's not much when opposed to... like 5 times an hour. :)

  6. #6

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    1) It only does so on Guild Wars, and it have always done it. But not on any other game.
    Ok, then the problem is most likely your system does not support the needs of GW.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    2) Sorry, I don't know what you mean.
    What is the temperature of the room that the computer is in?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    3) Haha... quite frantically, I got no idea whatsoever. All I know is that it's a relatively old on. It cannot support this new generation of graphic cards and can maximum take 2.4GHZ processor and 1024megabytes of DDR memory.
    If your machine will not support above that, then it may not suport the settings of your card. Try disabling fast-write in the BIOS if you have it. In fact, check to see if there is a newer version of the BIOS for your motherboard. If you don't know how, let me know, and I can email you some instructions on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    4) 1280x1024 with everything set to the highest possible. However, setting the graphics down avail me nothing.
    Ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    5) It's cold. If you mean the computer itself when you just touch it outside, it's totally cold. As for CD's when they get out, mildly warm. But not warmer than that it feels like a pleasure to touch the CD/DVD. The processor runs with 133Hz, becouse that's what it's meant to if it has to run at full strength. At 100Hz it only runs with 1.8GHZ. But it's not overclocking, since the comuter can run finely in a week without even starting to become hot when you touch it. (although when my previous "blower" went to smitherens, it took like 30 minuttes before there was a bad smell of burning PC. I saved it by turning it off though! :P )
    It seems I may have used too technical of a term. What I mean is, how hot is the fan/heatsink on the video card. In otehr words, rtake the cover off and check it with your hand.

    And just to be sure, what is the version of the driver you are using?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by calderstrake
    Ok, then the problem is most likely your system does not support the needs of GW.
    Yes, but it's wierd. My graphics card is upright recommended by ArenaNet and NCsoft to work best with Guild Wars, so it doesn't really make sense. Setting up virtual memory worked quite well though, maybe the solution lies in increasing it even further. I know that it takes my harddrive, but I have 80gigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by calderstrake
    What is the temperature of the room that the computer is in?
    Pretty much 19-24 degrees celcius. Just normal temeperature. It's actually my room.

    Quote Originally Posted by calderstrake
    If your machine will not support above that, then it may not suport the settings of your card. Try disabling fast-write in the BIOS if you have it. In fact, check to see if there is a newer version of the BIOS for your motherboard. If you don't know how, let me know, and I can email you some instructions on that.
    I remember that I and my father updated the driver for that a month ago or so, to get the CPU running properly. Apparenly, there was some problems with the specefic driver versions I had recieved on a CD with the PC. We gone to their site, and they admidded the mistake and said sorry. At any rate, BIOS is turned off.

    Quote Originally Posted by calderstrake
    It seems I may have used too technical of a term. What I mean is, how hot is the fan/heatsink on the video card. In otehr words, rtake the cover off and check it with your hand.
    Oh! Sure. I have done that just before I wrote this. It is mildly warm just like the CD's. It's not hot, not cold. Just a pleasant 28 degrees celcius I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by calderstrake
    And just to be sure, what is the version of the driver you are using?
    This is Display Devices taken straight out of the DXDiag I took for the official support team several days ago. I have made the graphics driver appear as bold for easy referrance.

    ---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: RADEON 9800 PRO
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: RADEON 9800 PRO AGP (0x4E48)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E48&SUBSYS_00021002&REV_00
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play-skærm
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6525 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 3/23/2005 05:01:17, 225280 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: I/T
    Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 3/23/2005 05:00:57, 1034752 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-0D08-11CF-CF6A-0820A1C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x4E48
    SubSys ID: 0x00021002
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
    Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run


    I defenately hope that further helped you. And once again, I thank you alot for taking some of your precious time to help me out! :)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    Yes, but it's wierd. My graphics card is upright recommended by ArenaNet and NCsoft to work best with Guild Wars, so it doesn't really make sense. Setting up virtual memory worked quite well though, maybe the solution lies in increasing it even further. I know that it takes my harddrive, but I have 80gigs.
    Ok, this makes me worried. Did you have virtual memory OFF before? You should have it set to manual 450-900.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    I remember that I and my father updated the driver for that a month ago or so, to get the CPU running properly. Apparenly, there was some problems with the specefic driver versions I had recieved on a CD with the PC. We gone to their site, and they admidded the mistake and said sorry. At any rate, BIOS is turned off.
    Oops! I think we got into another misunderstanding... the BIOS cannot be turned off. BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System. It is the Os of your motherboard. Maybe we need to hav an msngr chat to help you out on this one; let me know (my msngr nicks are posted under my name here).

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6525 (English)
    You should not hav a problem here since that is the same I am using and I have a 9800 XT.

    Ok... last thought... when is the last time you installed windows from scratch?

    And, did you ever have an nVIDIA card in this system?

  9. #9
    I have found that with ATI cards, you sometimes get graphical corruption at ultra high resolutions.

    At the arcade I work with 30+ ATI 9600XT cards, I find that once in a blue moon games will have corrupted graphics (weird colours, lots of stray pixels, etc.). Time and time again, such problems seem only to occur under extraordinary system stress situations (i.e. when you set the resolutions to levels that your eyes can't even tell the difference or above 1024X768).

    Try a lower resolution and see if the problem occurs. My guess is that it will magically disappear.

    Also, since most video cards are no longer manufactured by their actual developers, but by third party companies (i.e. NVidia cards are made by ABit, Asus, etc.), you may want to check the manufacturer website for their drivers. It may not be as recent, but it is tailored to your card.

    Finally, try an older version of the drivers. Most driver websites will let you get older drivers if the newer ones don't work. I can recall a specific instance when the April drivers from Nvidia did not work with Wolfenstein Enemy Territory...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •